PDA

View Full Version : Powdered Bleach

PlatoCATM
04-08-09, 08:29
I read in First In[/U] about the use of powdered bleach for water purification and whatever else bleach can be used for. Liquid bleach has a shelf life of about six months, correct? Does the powdered bleach have the same shelf life, or is it full strength indefinitely or until it is added to a mixture? It seems powdered bleach could be the answer to the problem of perishable liquid bleach (if this is a problem).

mattjmcd
04-08-09, 10:55
I read in First In[/U] about the use of powdered bleach for water purification and whatever else bleach can be used for. Liquid bleach has a shelf life of about six months, correct? Does the powdered bleach have the same shelf life, or is it full strength indefinitely or until it is added to a mixture? It seems powdered bleach could be the answer to the problem of perishable liquid bleach (if this is a problem).

I think that liquid will still retain most of its properties for much longer than 6 months, but it DOES degrade, which is the point in the big picture. I have not seen data on powdered bleach, but maybe now I've got some googling to do?;)

Thanks for the post.

dave5339
04-08-09, 19:30
You can buy powdered pool bleach at any pool supply store.

Please do not store it around anything that will rust though.

I had some seldom used tools stored on the same shelf the pool bleach was. Big mistake.

Semper Fi

waterpro1966
04-14-09, 20:10
Powdered Bleach or Sodium Hypo chloride is typically 70% compared to liquid household bleach which is typically 5.25%. It can also be purchased in 1 gram pellets. Stored in a cool dry place will have a shelf life of a year easy.

If you can't find it, PM me I will hook you up.