PDA

View Full Version : Talk me out of an XDm 9!

larry0071
04-08-09, 11:05
I was at the shop last night and they have on the shelf:

XD 9 for $509
XDm 9 for $609
XDm 9 with OD lower, black upper $659
XDm 9 with black lower, SS upper $659

The XDm has a 0.5" longer match grade barrel, and some of the controls and the upper are tappered off.The grip feels better on the XDm with the more agressive checkering. It also costs $100 more.

I am not into the stainless thing, to bright and shiny. I like the other three options, and I damn near walked out with the all black XDm 9 last night. I forced myself to leave before I made a mistake.

This would be a carry piece. What one of the above would you choose? Please help me decide! I do have an interest in that OD/Black version, it looks really sweet... but for a carry gun, I can imagine the OD coating wearing off, bu the black plastic is black plastic... it will not wear. Help!

markm
04-08-09, 11:17
Don't buy it.

Go with a Glock or M&P. Those prices aren't even thrilling.

You said talk you out of it right? Well I think of Springfield as a Marketing company. They use the NAME of the legendary Springfield Armory and put it on mediocre (at best) guns. They make a fortune doing this. I wouldn't buy anything from Springfield Armory.

How'd I do?

Failure2Stop
04-08-09, 11:39
How'd I do?

I agree.
There are better guns for similar money.
"Match grade" means pretty much nothing in regards to imported Croatian pistols.

I don't care what you buy, but I would go in a different direction.

larry0071
04-08-09, 11:43
Not bad!

The guy at the gun shop and I talked and he told me his feeling is that the XD/XDm is in a position today that Glock was in in 1990. He feels the SA XD/XDm is the future "glock" of CC handguns.

He says go with the XDm because of the match barrel, I feared the match grade barrel may have trouble with tighter tollerances and reload ammo. I had a match barrel on my Glock 17 and it absolutely would not injest relaods, they would get stuck and not eject. New ammo would work fine.

So you disagree with him tha the XD/XDm is an extremely nice and well thought out tool? Interesting. That is exactly why I threw it up here, I wanted to get some feed back and see what the majority rule is.

I hope I can get more feedback.

On a note, he also had a XD 40, and he has about 15 various Glock's. He was not steering me away from Glock, he knows I have one because I purchased it from him. He says he honestly feels very stronge towards the XDm series.

I know... to each, thier own!

Littlelebowski
04-08-09, 11:50
A friend and I shot his XDm40 and my Glock 19 side by side. The Glock shot better for both of us.

I'd be careful on listening to gunshop employee's advice on the "future" of CC handguns.

I'd rather have a Glock or an M&P.

Business_Casual
04-08-09, 11:59
HK P30
Glock 19
S&W MP 9

Note - shortly some helpful soul who has an XD will be along to post how his is fantastic and he carries it everyday.

If you look at the pictures of the training classes in the training forum, you will see one thing. None of the instructors have an XD.

M_P

ToddG
04-08-09, 12:51
While there are certainly people who love their XDs, there are also people who will tell you a Toyota Corolla is the best car on the market.

Is the XDM an improvement over the old XD? Yes.

Is it enough of an improvement to make it comparable to the dominant platforms in the market? No.

If you like it and want it, get it. Personally, the grip safety is a non-starter for me. The slide cannot move unless the safety is being pressed. Try doing some wounded/one-handed manipulations with it (reload, stoppage clearance) ... it's not hard to get into a situation where you cannot put the right amount of pressure in the right spot. On any other gun, no problem. On the XD/XDM, the slide is locked shut.

They're fine range guns, but I don't buy range guns. For personal protection? I'd look elsewhere. YMMV.

Powder_Burn
04-08-09, 12:56
I've had positive experiences with the XD series across relatively low round counts. However, the lack of interest and adoption by most expert users speaks volumes. Unfair or not, I'm shopping for a new platform these days...there just too many good alternatives at the same price point without the seed of doubt.

Dave L.
04-08-09, 12:59
Don't buy it.

Go with a Glock or M&P. Those prices aren't even thrilling.

You said talk you out of it right? Well I think of Springfield as a Marketing company. They use the NAME of the legendary Springfield Armory and put it on mediocre (at best) guns. They make a fortune doing this. I wouldn't buy anything from Springfield Armory.

How'd I do?

Agree 100%

Buy a Glock and some mags.

Buckaroo
04-08-09, 13:02
I have heard that the new "M"s are better than the XDs but I agree with the M&P option. You can pick them up for less and if you get a new one you get 2 more mags right now.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CustomContentDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&content=61803&sectionId=10002

I love my compacts and just added a full size 9mm to my stable for a night stand gun for my wife.

As Todd said, "I don't buy range guns."

Buckaroo

Palmguy
04-08-09, 13:02

XD 9 for $509
XDm 9 for $609

The XDm has a 0.5" longer match grade barrel, and some of the controls and the upper are tappered off.The grip feels better on the XDm with the more agressive checkering. It also costs $100 more.

I am not into the stainless thing, to bright and shiny. I like the other three options, and I damn near walked out with the all black XDm 9 last night. I forced myself to leave before I made a mistake.

This would be a carry piece. What one of the above would you choose? Please help me decide! I do have an interest in that OD/Black version, it looks really sweet... but for a carry gun, I can imagine the OD coating wearing off, bu the black plastic is black plastic... it will not wear. Help!

For the record, just as the "black plastic is black plastic", if it is a factory OD gun, then "green plastic is green plastic", through and through. There is no "coating" to wear off.

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-08-09, 13:25
For that money you are getting close to H&K territory. I have always liked the XD but I think a boring old Glock 17 would serve you well.

Hayduke
04-08-09, 13:52
I think a boring old Glock 17 would serve you well.

one of which i just picked up for $450 new. not everyone is raping people on prices....i'm one who jumped on an XD45 when they were first out and while i do like the gun, it just never shot like i wanted it to or as tight as some friend's glocks, thus my recent purchase for upcoming classes this summer.

pryde
04-08-09, 13:56
Anyone know what kind of margin gunshops are making on XDs?

It seems like everytime I go into a non-leo gunshop, the clerks are always trying to push the XD on people who are looking to buy glocks, saying shit like how Springfield is a better company, the XD is more accurate and how it has (subjective) better ergonomics and whatnot. Is it because they make more money off XD sales?

adh
04-08-09, 14:09
Agree 100%

Buy a Glock and some mags.

+1 to all the rest

JohnN
04-08-09, 14:42
I live in Central Indiana and there seems to be a shortage of 9mm M&P's and Glock's but there are a shitload of XD's of every description everywhere. That would kind of tell you they are not as popular as with consumers as the S&W and Glock. Never had an XD but have shot them and just can't warm to them. I've had several Glocks and M&P's and can highly recommend either.

LOKNLOD
04-08-09, 15:47
XDm: This isn't the polymer-framed handgun you're looking for....

http://enterthecircle.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/obi-wan-kenobi-01-large.jpg

RogerinTPA
04-08-09, 18:12
M&P9 or G19, with the 2 free mags, I'd lean towards the M&P.

SloaneRanger
04-08-09, 19:37
HK P30
Glock 19
S&W MP 9

M_P

Three of the best 9mm platforms on the market here although the G17 is closer to the XDM fullsize 17+1 vs 18+1.

If I won an XD at a DU banquet I'd trade it towards one of these.

P30 is only $100 more than what you were quoted on the green XDM and you'd have a way better pistol. Glock is slightly cheaper and the M&P marginally more than the glock and both of those are excellent choices.

The XD's seem to be the only pistols that don't fly off the shelf nowadays.

Gentoo
04-08-09, 19:45
They are $300 Croatian guns that SA bought the import/distribution rights to, stamped their logo on, bought ads in every magazine and then doubled the price.

Buy a Glock / M&P / HK.

Hound_va
04-08-09, 20:03
I believe MSRP on them was $400 when they were brought into the country as the HS2000 about 10 years ago.

Ghostface03
04-08-09, 20:25

XD 9 for $509
XDm 9 for $609

Buy it. You will love it. :D

kbrdann
04-08-09, 21:03
GLOCK 19. Enough said.

John_Wayne777
04-08-09, 21:18
XDm 9 for $609

You can pre-order the PT.com special edition S&W M&P 9mm for $599...and it comes with 3 17 round magazines, Warren 2 dot sights, S&W Performance Center sear, and is a platform that is widely supported and that has proven thusfar to be a service quality handgun.

Personally I cannot see spending 10 bucks more to buy the XDM when you can have the PT.com M&P for less...or a regular M&P...or a Glock 17....

maximus83
04-09-09, 00:03
I think you've already figured out that for a carry gun, you probably don't really want a full-size XD or XDM anyway--they are ok range guns, but get pretty bulky.

I'd try out an M&P compact, a Glock 19, or something else in a compact carry size, and just find out what you shoot well and what feels good in your hand. The nice thing is, in today's market you have a lot of great PISTOL choices. The hard part is AFTER you buy the pistol: finding some ammo, and finding some places where you can legally carry the gun! :)

maximus83
04-09-09, 00:14
Well I think of Springfield as a Marketing company. They use the NAME of the legendary Springfield Armory and put it on mediocre (at best) guns. They make a fortune doing this. I wouldn't buy anything from Springfield Armory.

How'd I do?

Not so good. Springfield is much more than a marketing company. Their Custom Shop makes phenomenal 1911's, among the very best in the business. Read the history of their Pro model, and how it was selected by the FBI over available models by Wilson, Colt, Kimber, Cylinder & Slide, and others.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_144_24/ai_57886947/

MarshallDodge
04-09-09, 08:54
They are $300 Croatian guns that SA bought the import/distribution rights to, stamped their logo on, bought ads in every magazine and then doubled the price.

That pretty much sums it up. I remember seeing a new HS2000 for $250 at a little gun shop in 2001. Based on the simplicity of striker-fired polymer pistols, I think they are all overpriced.

I had a 9mm XD sub compact that I bought at a pawn shop for $225, couldn't pass it up for that price. It shot well but the finish was definitely lacking. All you had to do was look at it wrong and it would start to rust. I had a friend who wanted one so I sold it to him and he loves it.

We were at a range last year with friends and there was quite a variety of polymer pistols. The Glock, XD, and M&P owners all removed their slides to compare the internals. The Glock seemed to have the better fit and finish on the inside, followed by the M&P, and then the XD. I liked the ergonomics of the M&P and am not sure if it was the gun or me but I shot it better than the other two.

decodeddiesel
04-09-09, 09:37
If I were buying a 9mm full size pistol right now it would be an M&P9 period. The ergonomics are very similar to a 1911 in a lot of ways, it has been proven to chew through 50,000 with no issues, and with a good trigger job (ala the pistol training ltd edition) this is both an outstanding choice for personal protection and a good "range gun". I find the M&Ps to be easy to shoot, point well, and very well made. The XDM feels huge in my hand (this is from a big 1911 guy), the grips angle is poor, the variation from one piece to another in fit and finish and trigger pull is very disturbing, and the height of the bore axis is really high especially compared to a Glock or M&P. If you want a range "toy" the XDM is ok, 19 rounds of 9mm is fun, but for a serious piece your money is best spent else where.

maximus83
04-09-09, 10:07
That pretty much sums it up. I remember seeing a new HS2000 for $250 at a little gun shop in 2001. Based on the simplicity of striker-fired polymer pistols, I think they are all overpriced.

I had a 9mm XD sub compact that I bought at a pawn shop for $225, couldn't pass it up for that price. It shot well but the finish was definitely lacking. All you had to do was look at it wrong and it would start to rust. I had a friend who wanted one so I sold it to him and he loves it.

We were at a range last year with friends and there was quite a variety of polymer pistols. The Glock, XD, and M&P owners all removed their slides to compare the internals. The Glock seemed to have the better fit and finish on the inside, followed by the M&P, and then the XD. I liked the ergonomics of the M&P and am not sure if it was the gun or me but I shot it better than the other two.

I'm NOT trying argue that the OP should get an XD; I happen to agree with the folks who suggest M&P. I have owned a couple of XD's and now own two M&P's, and I definitely prefer the latter.

However, in the interest of accurate reportage, I just wanted to point out that the XD you're talking about is the "first-generation" XD. The op is asking specifically about the current XD (which I would call 2nd generation, and it has changed a LOT), and the XDM, which is basically 3rd gen and has changed even more. To address one issue you mentioned, the finish: the 1st generation XD used to have a rather lame finish, and they even had some problems with rust. However, they went to a melonite finish even before the current M&P came out and started using it. The XD has now been using a melonite finish for several years, and they have had no more issues with rust. For all practical purposes, when the melonite is applied properly (the early M&P's had a few issues with this), I think that the coating quality and rust-resistance on current Glocks, XD's, and M&P's, is roughly equivalent. The current 2nd and 3rd gen XD's are pretty solid guns IMHO, though I believe that if the op tries them side-by-side with an M&P, he will probably end up preferring the M&P, as I and many others have.

dojpros
04-09-09, 10:22
My response to a co worker who was very high on the XD platform:

"The XD has be “hailed” in magazines that take advertisements from Springfield.

Get on www.getoffthex.com, m4carbine.net and other sites, do some searches on how the xd stacks up to the glock in a high round count training environment and then draw your own conclusions. Get on www.10-8forums.com re the xd v. the SW M&P.

Maybe it’s just me, but I find a guy who has trained thousands of people using thousands of different guns pretty convincing when he says that glock is easily at the top of the reliability heap and everything else is a distant second.(Particularly in 9 mm).

People who kill people with a pistol for a living every day in faraway lands and have any input in the weapons they field use two pistols- 1911s and glocks. These are people that can have any weapon they want. . Historically, most had custom 1911s. Today, many simply use glocks . No one uses an xd.

In fact, some holster makers are making for the Smith and Wesson M& P and not the xd because it is establishing a track record of being a more reliable weapon given its adoption by many more agencies than the xd as a duty weapon. While the fact that the xd is made in Croatia and the SW is made in the US may explain some of it, that fact cannot be considered dispositive as the vast majority of glocks are made in Austria.

Is the xd a perfectly serviceable weapon relative to a glock–yes
Is the xd a perfectly accurate weapon relative to a glock-yes
Is the xd a perfectly concealable weapon relative to a glock –yes

Is the xd as reliable a weapon relative to a glock- Most in the know would submit- no
Is the xd as maintainable as a glock in the field should something break-those in the know universally agree-no.

Indeed , most problems with a glock can be fixed by anyone who can detail strip their weapon ( the only tool required is a 3/32 punch) with commonly available parts that are typically .99 to 7.00. Similar issues with an xd require shipment of the pistol to a warranty station.

Never is a long time word. The XD will never be as good a platform as the Glock, if you define as good in terms of reliability, sales, market share, ease/ cost of maintenance and availability of aftermarket parts/ accessories to include holsters/ mag pouches in both the duty and concealed configurations."

I fully acknowledge that YMMV greatly. I would buy a Glock or and SW MP and not look back.

Abraxas
04-09-09, 10:36
I vote M&P

phixion
04-09-09, 12:34
Aside from personal preference, why is the M&P better than the XD?

I have a XD9SC which I carry daily and to put it simply, it works for me. I plan on standardizing my pistols for certain roles (home defense, carry etc.) and am open to others before settling with the XD. I am intrigued by the M&P but don't know anyone who has one that I could shoot. So again, what does the M&P line have going for it that the XD lacks?

Oscar 319
04-09-09, 12:40

I have a XD9SC which I carry daily and to put it simply, it works for me. I plan on standardizing my pistols for certain roles (home defense, carry etc.) and am open to others before settling with the XD. I am intrigued by the M&P but don't know anyone who has one that I could shoot. So again, what does the M&P line have going for it that the XD lacks?

Try this- https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=14060&highlight=50%2C000

G34Shooter
04-09-09, 13:14

Did you actually try reading the thread? ;)

phixion
04-09-09, 13:27
Yes, I did read the thread. Other than Todd's post about one-handed manipulation drills, not much else has been mentioned other than personal preference.

Pesty0311
04-09-09, 13:31
So what you are saying is the xd lacks someone footing the bill to shoot 50k+ rounds thru it? Im confused...

I have a XD 9 that's been very reliable and accurate etc etc. While it does not have the amount of rounds thru it that the pistol linked above does I'd wager that most ppls guns on this board do not either.. My advice would be to shoot all the pistols you are considering and pick the one you like from their. Glocks, M&P's, XD's are all good guns each with their differences etc and most picked from either personal preference, because that persons getting paid to carry or is issued said pistol or because the error net told them that's what they should buy.

G34Shooter
04-09-09, 13:33
Yes, I did read the thread. Other than Todd's post about one-handed manipulation drills, not much else has been mentioned other than personal preference.

Other potential problems:

1. Grip Safety not deactivating when shooting SHO and WHO, especially during quick strings.

2. Quite a few people have had to ship their gun back to SA with a live round chambered when the slide would not retract.

3. Any moderate problem or part breakage and you have to ship the whole gun to SA.

Pesty0311
04-09-09, 13:37
Other potential problems:

1. Grip Safety not deactivating when shooting SHO and WHO, especially during quick strings.
This is a training issue not the guns fault.

2. Quite a few people have had to ship their gun back to SA with a live round chambered when the slide would not retract.
Is this the problem with faulty re assembly your talking about? If so not the guns fault.

3. Any moderate problem or part breakage and you have to ship the whole gun to SA.
Parts are available on the internet now you just have to look for them. Not as convenient as going to your local gun shop but still available.

G34Shooter
04-09-09, 13:38
Parts are available on the internet now you just have to look for them. Not as convenient as going to your local gun shop but still available.

You have the answers already so enjoy your XD :D

Pesty0311
04-09-09, 13:41
I do enjoy it thanks...

This wasn't an attack on you per say..your just posting bs info...

John_Wayne777
04-09-09, 13:44
This is a training issue not the guns fault.

You know, I see this sort of thing used to respond to a number of issues where it is just flat wrong. This is one of them.

If you've been shot/stabbed/injured it is not a "training issue" when you can't get the grip safety depressed just right to be able to use the weapon or clear a malfunction. In other words, do not assume that because something can be done under ideal circumstances that it's automatically to be dismissed as a "training issue" if when someone mentions it as a potential downside to a platform.

...as opposed to a Glock where you can get parts from lots of places and replace practically any of them in less than 10 minutes.

I'm not a Glock fan, but I'd still have to rule in Glock's favor over the XD.

G34Shooter
04-09-09, 13:45
I do enjoy it thanks...

This wasn't an attack on you per say..your just posting bs info...

Wait, so I'm posting BS because YOU have an answer for these problems?

BTW, I've done a quick search on a few main XD online stores for a replacement extractor with no luck...

John_Wayne777
04-09-09, 13:49
So what you are saying is the xd lacks someone footing the bill to shoot 50k+ rounds thru it? Im confused...

One 50,000 round test on ONE sample doesn't mean beans.

The M&P's reputation is not coming from Todd's test...it's coming from the adoption of the weapon by a number of police departments. It's come from critical evaluation by people who know what they are doing. It's come from lots of serious shooters (like a fair number of board members here) putting them through training course after training course and finding out how they work and what it's like to live with them day in and day out.

Todd's test doesn't hurt any in that regard, but it's not the foundation for why a bunch of people who know what they are doing are carrying M&P's.

Pesty0311
04-09-09, 14:07
You know, I see this sort of thing used to respond to a number of issues where it is just flat wrong. This is one of them.

If you've been shot/stabbed/injured it is not a "training issue" when you can't get the grip safety depressed just right to be able to use the weapon or clear a malfunction. In other words, do not assume that because something can be done under ideal circumstances that it's automatically to be dismissed as a "training issue" if when someone mentions it as a potential downside to a platform.

Obviously its my opinion not fact take that for what its worth... if it really concerns you have it pinned or use some 100mph tape. I don't think its the perfect gun, that weapon hasn't been invented yet. We are not talking fine motor skills here your talking death grip on the weapon during your "shot/stabbed/injured" scenario limp wrist your glock and you'll end up with a club too.

...as opposed to a Glock where you can get parts from lots of places and replace practically any of them in less than 10 minutes.

Think I said that in my post, yeah you cant go to your local store and pick them up but you can order and keep items on hand for such times. Tho my XD has never broke, of course it has less that 50k rounds out of it.

I think the G17 and 19 are some of the best guns out there with a proven track record. The XD for me points better and I get better hits with it than I do my 19, another training issue, like the 19 its never given me a problem no wait the first 19 I owned had the wrong sights install at the factory..no big deal tho easy fix as they had to be replaced anyway.

I'm not a Glock fan, but I'd still have to rule in Glock's favor over the XD.

I'm not an xd fan club member I own one and it shoots. Each person has to pick a quality weapon that they can run the best. They have to gather info on the weapon IE Boards store clubs etc they MUST shoot the weapon etc before they pick. But spewing off miss information about parts not being available etc is bs and bad form the parts are available. Just like saying ppl have had to ship said weapon back for repair...thats happened with every brand.

G34Shooter a 3 second google search dude... your complaints weak. http://www.pistolgear.com/products.php?id=46

G34Shooter
04-09-09, 14:15
I'm not an xd fan club member I own one and it shoots. Each person has to pick a quality weapon that they can run the best. They have to gather info on the weapon IE Boards store clubs etc they MUST shoot the weapon etc before they pick. But spewing off miss information about parts not being available etc is bs and bad form the parts are available. Just like saying ppl have had to ship said weapon back for repair...thats happened with every brand.

G34Shooter a 3 second google search dude... your complaints weak. http://www.pistolgear.com/products.php?id=46

Well if you want to be insulting, learn to read... Where is the extractor listed?

BTW, that was one of the sites I searched lol

Pesty0311
04-09-09, 14:25
My bad... that is one of the parts thats about impossible to remove.. Did you break yours?

G34Shooter
04-09-09, 14:42
My bad... that is one of the parts thats about impossible to remove.. Did you break yours?

Nope, but it supports my "bs" :D

Looking at the same site shows that they have a difficult time getting replacement parts as well (email me when it is back in stock).

hatt
04-09-09, 14:45
Has anyone come up with a real advantage, not pure personal preference, that the XD has over the GLOCK and M&P? I can thing of real advantages the GLOCK and M&P have. If the XD is the only gun that just feels right, your choice is clear.

chadbag
04-09-09, 14:48

NO matter what the gun, this is one reason I try and buy at least 2 of a given handgun. Some day in the future, you may not be able to easily buy your parts for your XD, Glock, whatever on the internet or from a local store. What do you do then?

Pesty0311
04-09-09, 14:55
Nope, but it supports my "bs" :D

Looking at the same site shows that they have a difficult time getting replacement parts as well (email me when it is back in stock).

Har har.. I'm sure I can find one given time. That being said in this climate with the buy frenzy its getting hard to find allot of things.

My XD is a trunk gun.. I was pretty pissed at SA for allowing guns to go out that were rust sponges. I got one of the earlier ones and its my trunk gun this is what happened to it when I moved down south and worked at a SD.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/badassliz/Gear/IMG_1541.jpg

Its still my trunk gun to this day. Tho its going to be released of that duty when my m&p45 compact shows up..if that happens. I'm trying to go to one caliber for pistol and selling off/trading what I have in 9mm. Btw I carry a 1911 unlike a glock parts have to be fitted, I don't look at that as a disadvantage. Like I said I'm not a XD fan boy but the weapon works just fine.

Gentoo
04-09-09, 19:59
Looks like we are starting to get into butt-hurt fanboi territory...

If you want a gun to take to the range and have fun with, buy what you want and to hell with everyone else.

If you want a defensive tool that you may use to save your life, look elsewhere. The xd has not selected in any PD or .mil test. That tells you something.

Also, it has a higher bore axis than the Glock or M&P.

maximus83
04-10-09, 00:06
The XD most certainly HAS been adopted in a few agencies/PD's. Four different guys in this thread at 10-8 forums, including Hilton Yam, mention agencies or PD"s that they know of, who have adopted the XD.

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=76683

-Wes-
04-10-09, 01:52
Plastic frame rails! :eek:

Business_Casual
04-10-09, 08:31
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/glock23carry/duty_calls.png

M_P

decodeddiesel
04-10-09, 08:46
The XD most certainly HAS been adopted in a few agencies/PD's. Four different guys in this thread at 10-8 forums, including Hilton Yam, mention agencies or PD"s that they know of, who have adopted the XD.

Good article. I really enjoyed hearing what Hilton had to say about the major .45ACP front runners in the polymer world.

G34Shooter
04-10-09, 10:15
This quote from Yam proves what I was saying about XD part availability...

"Due to the informal nature of the test, we did not make a point to record the splits. All runs were shot on a timer, and frankly the difference in times between all the guns was within statistical variation. So any of our dings on a gun would certainly not be a "sour grapes" type situation, as we were able to turn in about the same performance with each one. As far as the targets, we shot on IPSC style targets and all runs were conducted such that we ran them clean, all center hits.

My buddy and I are already trying to track down a Glock 21SF and a XD-45 for the next plastic throwdown. The only issue I have with the XD - given that our goal was to evaluate pistols available for use as a service platform - is that one can't buy spare parts for the XD. Department armorers won't be able to be much help with the XD, which really hinders their viability"

larry0071
04-10-09, 10:28
Being that I have a 1990 (1st gen) Glock 17, should I just go get a brand new 3rd gen Glock 9mm and be done with it?

I did play with the HK, the XD and XDm, and a Beretta at the store. I really had a hard on for the feel of the XDm.... but I don't want to buy it for the feel if it turns into a big mistake. The Glock doesn't marry into my hand the way the XDm did, it just felt soooo nice. Maybe I'll skip the whole thing for a month and let my emotions die down and go looking again. Maybe by then 4th Gen Glocks will be there and I can see what changes they are making on that.

Are there down sides to a 4th Gen Glock mid sized 9mm? I wont buy another model 17 since I already have one.

John_Wayne777
04-10-09, 10:41
Being that I have a 1990 (1st gen) Glock 17, should I just go get a brand new 3rd gen Glock 9mm and be done with it?

If the Glock works for you it wouldn't be a bad idea. The G17 works just fine. It's easy to support and cheap to do light customization on.

I did play with the HK, the XD and XDm, and a Beretta at the store. I really had a hard on for the feel of the XDm.... but I don't want to buy it for the feel if it turns into a big mistake.

I've learned the hard way that how something feels in the gunstore is not an indication that it will work for you in reality. Glocks felt great in the gunstore the first time I handled them...but the first range trip with one was an eye opening experience.

If you stick to platforms you know, you'll have less of a chance of making a bad purchase.

The Glock doesn't marry into my hand the way the XDm did, it just felt soooo nice. Maybe I'll skip the whole thing for a month and let my emotions die down and go looking again. Maybe by then 4th Gen Glocks will be there and I can see what changes they are making on that.

The 4th gen Glocks aren't really a big improvement over the standard Glocks as far as frame goes...and most who have handled the 4th gens say that the slide cuts suck.

Are there down sides to a 4th Gen Glock mid sized 9mm? I wont buy another model 17 since I already have one.

Personally I would just go buy a 3rd gen Glock 19...if you can find one.

Pesty0311
04-10-09, 15:25
This quote from Yam proves what I was saying about XD part availability...

Note the date of the article..note the web page I sent you to that has "FACTORY PARTS" That is all.

G34Shooter
04-10-09, 15:30
Note the date of the article..note the web page I sent you to that has "FACTORY PARTS" That is all.

Your name fits you well :D You mean the page that has so many parts listed as (email me when it is back in stock) :cool:

RojasTKD
04-10-09, 15:40
I had an XD40 a few years back. It was a good firearm and I like the grip, felt very good in my hand.

As for "get a Glock or M&P" response. I got the XD over a Glock because the grip felt better in my hand and I HATE GLOCKS GRIP ANGLE, they don't point naturally for me at all.

The M&P on ther other hand is the route I would go now. Recently my sister and a friend both decided to buy a gun. I my sister and brother-in law where considering an XD or an M&P I steared them the the Smith. Same with my friend. I got to shoot his M&P a few days ago and it was SWEET! I want one! I was a very soft shooting 9mm.

In the end up to you and what U like most.

Pesty0311
04-10-09, 15:41
G34 you can argue it all you want. SA is now selling parts period.

AvidBlue
04-10-09, 16:38
Looks like we are starting to get into butt-hurt fanboi territory...

If you want a defensive tool that you may use to save your life, look elsewhere. The xd has not selected in any PD or .mil test. That tells you something.

Incorrect and unimportant. Selection criteria for military/police organizations and the private citizen are not identical. Ruling out a handgun for personal use because it is not a popular selection for police agencies makes as much sense as deciding against buying an Accord/Camry/Altima because all your cop buddies roll in Crown Vics.

Failure2Stop
04-10-09, 18:49
The handgun selected by a PD, Military Branch, Ninja Force, Bubba the Gunshop Hack, or your brother in-law are pretty much irrelevant when it comes to weapon selection. There are a whole lot of orgs whose administration gave them guns that suck for numerous reasons. There are lots of high-speed dudes dragging around guns that they hate, and would rather have pretty much anything else.

What large orginization adpotion brings is detailed knowledge of failure points and a supply of spare parts, not a promise of everlasting joy. One must keep in mind that selection criteria of a weapon is based on a written document that details what the buying agency wants the gun to do. The winner is generally the lowest priced item that meets the written criteria. Since the document is rarely written by people with any real grasp of shooting (let alone gunfighting) or how to record their intent, it is more a testament to lack of proficiency on the part of the document writers than the superiority of the XD with any adopting agency. The better the document, the better the resulting adoption.

Don't take this as an insult if you happen to own and like the XD, but there are better options for similar (and lower) price.

Unless you are a proficient shooter, the way a gun "feels" in a gunstore will probably have absolutely no impact on it's performance in your hands. How a gun points is similarly irrelevant- with repetition will come skill.

RojasTKD
04-10-09, 19:21
Has anyone come up with a real advantage, not pure personal preference, that the XD has over the GLOCK and M&P? I can thing of real advantages the GLOCK and M&P have. If the XD is the only gun that just feels right, your choice is clear.

Well, for me the glock grip angle is a disadvantage. Only reason I don't own one. Well that and because a buddy who owns one is annoying with, Glock, A REAL gun" crap. I shoot circles around him all day long and then some. That has left a distaste in my mouth about glocks and some of their owners. No offense to anyone here.

varoadking
04-10-09, 20:49
Talk me out of an XDm 9!

I am not an operator, instructor or ninja, nor am I in law enforcement or the military anymore...

I had 4 XD's. That should tell ya that I had some time with them. I tried to like them. I found them inaccurate, uncomfortable, and rather pedestrian. One of the .45's was so bad, even Springfield could not fix it by simply recrowning the muzzle. I sold all four of them. I regret "allowing" a friend to buy one...not one of mine, but one at retail.

As you have read...there are much better choices. While I have any number of 9mm's, aside from my nickel plated S&W Model 39-2, nothing comes close to my Glock 17. Not even my HK P30. OK, I take it back...my P7M8's kick butt...but for the money - Glock 17...

I can't seem to warm up to the M&P's, though the small .45 without front cocking serrations is somewhat appealing...

hatt
04-11-09, 07:44
Well, for me the glock grip angle is a disadvantage. Only reason I don't own one. Well that and because a buddy who owns one is annoying with, Glock, A REAL gun" crap. I shoot circles around him all day long and then some. That has left a distaste in my mouth about glocks and some of their owners. No offense to anyone here.

I've been around a GLOCK snob or two, I don't know why I'd let them get in the way of my choosing a handgun. I admit GLOCK is about the most uncomfortable feeling gun I've shot, and yet I shoot it much better than all the others, go figure.

Gutshot John
04-11-09, 08:34
G34 you can argue it all you want. SA is now selling parts period.

I'm afraid that logic cuts both ways.

'You can argue it all you want, if you can't actually GET the parts, it doesn't matter whether SA is selling them...period."

Pesty0311
04-11-09, 11:56
I'm afraid that logic cuts both ways.

'You can argue it all you want, if you can't actually GET the parts, it doesn't matter whether SA is selling them...period."

Guess I got to stop buying lmt too then...cant find damn lpk's in stock anywhere. :rolleyes:

Gutshot John
04-11-09, 12:17
Guess I got to stop buying lmt too then...cant find damn lpk's in stock anywhere. :rolleyes:

You're comparing apples to oranges.

There are more after-market parts available for ARs than for the XD. The LMT LPKs are nice, but you don't need LMT parts.

I recommend Brownell's if you're having trouble. :rolleyes:

Pesty0311
04-11-09, 12:31
Lol the logic cuts both ways but only in your favor...got ya. What may be perfect for one may not be for another but hey I'm wrong, don't buy it cuz some guys on the internet have a hard on for another.. doesn't matter that you have not shot it and cant make up your own mind, doesn't matter that odds are you wont be torturing the gun to make it fail and there for need these hard to get parts, doesn't matter that other people have and use it for a duty gun..their wrong too...the internet says so.. Carry on.

Gutshot John
04-11-09, 12:34
Lol the logic cuts both ways but only in your favor...got ya. What may be perfect for one may not be for another but hey I'm wrong, don't buy it cuz some guys on the internet have a hard on for another.. doesn't matter that you have not shot it and cant make up your own mind, doesn't matter that odds are you wont be torturing the gun to make it fail and there for need these hard to get parts, doesn't matter that other people have and use it for a duty gun..their wrong too...the internet says so.. Carry on.

You're talking in circles. If you'd rather spend more money for a lesser firearm, I won't get in your way, but to paraphrase your earlier statement you're posting "BS" information for others who are looking for a more informed opinion.

Heavy Metal
04-11-09, 12:38

I am sorry. That is the stupidest straw analogy I have heard in some time.

LMT does not make a proprietary lower.

Pesty0311
04-11-09, 12:39
I am sorry. That is the stupidest straw analogy I have heard in some time.

LMT does not make a proprietary lower.

I was pointing out that parts are hard to find for a lot of manufacturers at the moment.

Pesty0311
04-11-09, 12:41
You're talking in circles. If you'd rather spend more money for a lesser firearm, I won't get in your way, but to paraphrase your earlier statement you're posting "BS" information for others who are looking for a more informed opinion.

Dude your right man..I'm wrong. The xd is a piece of crap..

I'm done here.

decodeddiesel
04-11-09, 13:14

I'm done here.

:rolleyes: Come on man. This "whoe is me" shit is something you would hear on TOS not here. If you like your XD and shot it well then who cares what others think? That's awesome you have found a solution that works well for you. Keep on shooting that thing and getting more proficient. The whole point of this thread is to provide a compelling argument one way or another as to the question at hand. I don't think anyone has a personal argument with you other than your opinion on the subject at hand.

My personal experience with the XD is limited to my buddies .40 XD. I have fired it extensively, as has he, and there are some issues. For one it will not feed any JHPs other than WWB 180gr JHPs. It has gone back to SA twice and my buddy just accepted this as a limitation of the pistol. I think that is completely unacceptable personally but he seems happy enough with that. I can honestly say that in firing the pistol I have found it to be an inferior platform compared to my M&P, P99, and the Glocks I have extensively fired. Yes it does feel better in my hand than a Glock, but my M&P fells better than them both. I found the XD in .40 to be very snappy and difficult to control. The accuracy was acceptable, but honestly no better or worse than I would expect from a similar pistol. I do like the fact that the XDs can be had with a thumb safety, but so can the M&P and you don't have the grip "de-activation" device to deal with. The fit and finish is lacking compared to the M&P and Glock, as is the reputation. In all I honestly think the M&P is a superior platform.

I must admit that at times I have had buyers remorse over my Walther P99. I love the ergos on the pistol (especially compared to a Glock), and I shoot it the gun fairly well, but I shoot an M&P a whole lot better. When decieding between the pistols it came down to an M&P9 and the P99. At the time I had not done a ton of research and picked the P99. I am afraid the OP may end up feeling the same way about the XDm in time.

Pesty0311
04-11-09, 13:30
I'm not butt hurt man, I just think its useless trying to make a point on the internet. My first post on this topic should have been my last, so I'll repost it.

"I have a XD 9 that's been very reliable and accurate etc etc. While it does not have the amount of rounds thru it that the pistol linked above does I'd wager that most ppls guns on this board do not either.. My advice would be to shoot all the pistols you are considering and pick the one you like from their. Glocks, M&P's, XD's are all good guns each with their differences etc and most picked from either personal preference, because that persons getting paid to carry or is issued said pistol or because the error net told them that's what they should buy."

No offense to the OP in this thread, but it doesn't seem like he's the type that is putting tens of thousands of rounds down range in training or otherwise. When it comes to him picking a gun he would be better off picking one he shoots well. He probably shouldn't be dickin around playing pistol smith either so the whole parts thing doesn't even matter. I carry a 1911, I dont try to play smith with my dremel tool. I have multiples of this gun, but I keep the xd in the trunk simply because I don't want a 2k tool to be stolen. I shoot it well and am proficient with it. I pointed out that its being replaced with a M&P btw..Your friends situation sucks.. but you can probably find the same problem and many others with just about any popular or not so popular hand gun out there.

Gutshot John
04-11-09, 13:33
I was pointing out that parts are hard to find for a lot of manufacturers at the moment.

That's just it...thank you. There are LOTS of manufacturers of AR parts. You can't find LMT? there is Stag/CMT. There is only one manufacturer of XD parts and they've been historically loathe to send them out. They're changing that because they realized it was a poor business model.

I'm done here.

You called BS on someone else here and now you're getting all sensitive? Don't dish it out if you can't take it.

Despite your hyperbole and putting words in my mouth... relative to better guns for less money... the XD isn't a valid choice.

I used to own one, well before it's flaws were talked about on the internet. In fact when I bought/sold the XD was the "heat". However the lack of aftermarket parts, the crappy trigger and other flaws meant that I sold it after putting about 2K rounds through it.

Pesty0311
04-11-09, 13:43
Gutshot you just want to argue dude.... LPKS are about out of stock everywhere and all parts are not created equal..

I called BS because the poster said you couldn't buy parts but from SA... and that is BS.

One mans crappy trigger is another mans gold..wtf cares if you don't like the trigger if you were issued the weapon you wouldn't have a choice you would suck it up.. why don't you let the OP shoot one and decide for himself instead of insisting that because you don't like something neither should anyone else? I cant stand the glock grip angle that doesn't mean shit to the guy standing next to me if he likes it and it doesn't give me the right to not suggest it as a valid option. Your argument sounds like its more based on personal preference than fact.. but don't let me put words in your mouth. ;)

Gutshot John
04-11-09, 13:47
Gutshot you just want to argue dude.... LPKS are about out of stock everywhere and all parts are not created equal..

Ugh... whatever. You're horribly misinformed. You're analogy about the LPK is indicative of your poor understanding. If you think LMT parts are the only ones worth buying than you're really out of your depth. While I wouldn't necessarily suggest buying a Stag BCG, I'd have no problems using/buying one if that was what was available. Even if LPKs were available I wouldn't have any qualms about Stag lowers or related parts: triggers, springs, buffers, tubes, selectors etc.

The difference between that and the SA is that there is only ONE source for XD parts. Like it or not, that means there will be less availability of spare parts. Sorry but like I said you were comparing apples to oranges.

I called BS because the poster said you couldn't buy parts but from SA... and that is BS.

Yet when others pointed out where you were full of it, you got all butt hurt? That's more than a little bit lame.

One mans crappy trigger is another mans gold..wtf cares if you don't like the trigger if you were issued the weapon you wouldn't have a choice you would suck it up.. why don't you let the OP shoot one and decide for himself instead of insisting that because you don't like something neither should anyone else? I cant stand the glock grip angle that doesn't mean shit to the guy standing next to me if he likes it and it doesn't give me the right to not suggest it as a valid option. Your argument sounds like its more based on personal preference than fact.. but don't let me put words in your mouth. ;)

Too clever by half. I have actual experience with all the firearms you mentioned. I never once advocated a particular model, though I have my preferences. I simply pointed out that he can get a better gun for less money. The money saved means ammo, training or other.

Think before you post.

Ando
04-11-09, 13:56
Only a couple of relavant points to the OP's question...

Pull the trigger on the Glock or M&P vs. the XD. The XD triggers, especially the XDms, are really terrible.

XD reliabilty is not comparable.

The real adavantage of the XD is Springfield's Marketing. The margins are good and they offer all sorts of dealer incentives.

Pesty0311
04-11-09, 13:59
I'm not butt hurt man its kinda hard to see emotion thru the errornet.. I pointed out that you can buy factory parts thus debunking the "you have to send it to SA" post. I also pointed out that its hard to buy allot of things right now and that's not a reason not to buy from a certain company... you just continue to nit pick the shit out of the analogy.

I have hands on experience with them too, one brand issued for duty, the glock which I stated I hate but qualified just fine with it, one brand carried as a back up in the trunk at a dif job and private use and one that tho I don't own but have put a good amount of rounds thru..do I get a t-shirt now? Other than to sound like an ass what have you contributed to this thread but your own personal opinion?

Gutshot John
04-11-09, 14:01
I'm not butt hurt man its kinda hard to see emotion thru the errornet.

Physician heal thyself. :rolleyes: If you're not part of the solution than you're part of the problem.

You made a poor analogy, all you had to do was acknowledge that you did as much but since you continued to defend the stupidity of it, I continued to point that out... so did several others.

Your analogy wasn't flawed because of minor details...the whole thing was fatally flawed. If that's nitpicking, then I can live with that. The devil is in the details.

As for sounding like an ass... considering the source I'm thoroughly underwhelmed by your assessment. You're projecting your actions onto me.

I said if you're happy with the XD, who am I to stand in your way? It's your money.

Pesty0311
04-11-09, 14:09
Physician heal thyself. :rolleyes: If you're not part of the solution than you're part of the problem.

You made a poor analogy, all you had to do was acknowledge that you did as much. I didn't nitpick, your analogy was about minor details...the whole thing was fatally flawed.

As for sounding like an ass, considering the source I'm underwhelmed by your assessment.

lol ok man.. like Eddie said.have a coke and a smile and stfu. :beer:

Gutshot John
04-11-09, 14:10
lol ok man.. like Eddie said.have a coke and a smile and stfu. :beer:

Riiiight. :rolleyes:

Thank you for proving my point.

I'm done.

ToddG
04-11-09, 18:48

No, the point is that no one who has performed an in-depth high round count trial of various pistols has selected the XD. The guns have a reputation among both the LE and action sport circles as being less reliable and less durable than the competition.

I feel the same way about limp wristing. :cool:

Right. The XD has been available in one form or another for ten years, in which time they've racked up about 90 unnamed LE customers, none of whom are large agencies. Compare that with the hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of LE agencies using Glocks, or the M&P which is at about 500 agencies including federal LE and state police in a little over four years.

There are LE agencies that issue the Mini-14, too. But none that actually did a comparative test. ;)

What large orginization adpotion brings is detailed knowledge of failure points and a supply of spare parts, not a promise of everlasting joy.

But a gun that's successfully completed endurance and harsh environment testing has something going for it that others don't. Most people can't afford to test a handful of guns for such things.

One must keep in mind that selection criteria of a weapon is based on a written document that details what the buying agency wants the gun to do.

True. I just helped write such a document for a major federal LE agency that should be going out within the next few weeks. But a well written and honest test evaluates a wide variety of competitors on objective factors rather than simply being a list of features one or two people want. There's another big fed pistol procurement also due to be released soon which will look much more like that, sadly.

The winner is generally the lowest priced item that meets the written criteria.

That depends completely on the purchasing authority. While price is almost always a factor at some level, in most formal LE procurements that include significant testing it is rarely a controlling factor. Not to get too far off topic, but most agencies utilize what in the federal system is called "best value," which is much different than "lowest price."

maximus83
04-12-09, 00:26
Right. The XD has been available in one form or another for ten years, in which time they've racked up about 90 unnamed LE customers, none of whom are large agencies. Compare that with the hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of LE agencies using Glocks, or the M&P which is at about 500 agencies including federal LE and state police in a little over four years.

For the record, I have never claimed that the XD passed any mil or PD test, and I'm not interested in defending the XD. I stated that it is a fact that the XD has been adopted by some agencies and departments. And that is a fact. End of story. I am NOT interested in arguing about the XD, waste of time in my opinion. Just don't like seeing the record distorted, as a few statements in this thread have done.

There are LE agencies that issue the Mini-14, too. But none that actually did a comparative test. ;)

Heh, well maybe SOME did a test. I never heard about this one until tonight when I ran a search, and again, it's hardly impressive. I'm not arguing for the XD, I don't want one. But hey, at least they have pictures. It'll be interesting to find out which one they selected. Probably not the XD, given the M&P was in the running. But the mere fact of the existence of a test in this little department suggests to me that there are probably some of those departments out there that have indeed run evaluative tests and adopted the XD. It's hard to believe that at least SOME of these departments/agencies that adopted them would have been so reckless as to not do at least a LITTLE T&E.

http://www.daltonpdblog.org/2007/08/dalton-police-d.html

sewvacman
04-12-09, 10:42
Well I really like my xdm-9. I've had several glocks and just never cared for them as much as say my old walther p38. The xdm gives me the same ergonomics (point and shoot, for me anyway) with a hell of alot more rounds.
I got the green/black on GB for $579.
I would not consider it for a ccw gun however, not practical. And it does not like reloads so I don't shoot those. Maybe the M&P is a better choice for some but the xdm fits my hand like a glove so I'll keep it untill something else comes along.

ToddG
04-12-09, 10:44
It's hard to believe that at least SOME of these departments/agencies that adopted them would have been so reckless as to not do at least a LITTLE T&E.

http://www.daltonpdblog.org/2007/08/dalton-police-d.html

I think that's a good example of typical small-agency "testing." They fired 500 rounds through one sample of each gun. As you said, not impressive.

On the other hand, I certainly appreciate that smaller departments cannot afford to do the kind of mammoth testing that larger agencies perform. That's why large agency weapon selection is such a bellwether. While I'm not suggesting that little agencies blindly adopt whatever (insert: FBI or NYPD or LAPD or similar) adopts, I'd at least limit my small town testing to guns which have proven successful in such tests.

decodeddiesel
04-12-09, 10:52
My advice would be to shoot all the pistols you are considering and pick the one you like from their.

Good advise. :)

Pesty0311
04-14-09, 10:01
From another board..

www.xtranormal.com/watch?e=20090309020311823

dojpros
04-14-09, 10:41
Point of order-

It is interesting to note that the guy who started this post dropped off at page one. We are now on page five of what morphed into a My D*(k is bigger than your D@#k contest.

At the risk of being at the edge of my lane, I think the question asked has been answered. YMMV greatly.

david of vcdgrips.com

truth
04-14-09, 21:37
I love my XDm though not as much as my p2000sk.

rob_s
04-15-09, 05:31
Talk me out of an XDm 9!
No problem. Two words:
Hotshot 2000

maximus83
04-16-09, 02:43
No problem. Two words:
Hotshot 2000

So the point here is that the XDM must necessarily be a subpar gun, simply because its HS 2000 ancestor was a subpar gun?

I'm not sure if that works. We have plenty of cases where a 1st generation model doesn't do so well, but then later on, another model overcomes its "poor heritage." An easy example of that would be the modern M4's that Colt produces, which are fine rifles. The modern M4's have managed to overcome the problems of the first generation of M16-A1 rifles that were fielded in Viet Nam.

rob_s
04-16-09, 04:53
Oh dear god.

This thread has so exceeded any sort of hilarity at this point it's pathetic. What I posted was a joke, for chrissakes. I've long since given up giving a shit or less what other people carry.

To the OP, go to the range and shoot the damn thing. If you like it, buy it. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Everyone has internet-analyzed all the minutia to death for you in this thread, so it's not like you can say you're making an uninformed purchase.

Personally, I find that the HS2... oh, sorry, XD, makes virtually no sense on any level in my arsenal, but if it works for you then have at it.

this thread has turned into barf and needs a serious cleansing to even approach being what m4c is supposed to be about. Remember that kid "Shane, come back shane!" ? Well, "the_katar, come back the_katar!"

(and just for the record, AFAIK the problem with the first-gen M16s was ammo, not firearm, since we're being all internet-analytical here)

:rolleyes:

Dave L.
04-16-09, 05:10
this thread has turned into barf and needs a serious cleansing to even approach being what m4c is supposed to be about. Remember that kid "Shane, come back shane!" ? Well, "the_katar, come back the_katar!"

I agree. Someone asks about a gun they already have their heart set on, you tell them it's over priced and not all that great. They end hearing from 20 other people saying the same thing. Then someone chimes in with BS info to promote the substandard weapon and drags the thread out.

Almost every weapon has it's own dedicated forum somewhere filled with other bias fanboys. If you don't like the information you get from professionals. Seek out your forum and spread bad info somewhere else.

http://www.xdtalk.com/

Dave

maximus83
04-16-09, 09:24
Actually, I have not seen anyone promoting the XDM. I am certainly not, and have explicitly said so. However, there were some erroneous statements made about it, which I think is unfair no matter what gun or brand you are talking about. I agree the "thread has become barf", but not for the reasons that some seem to think.

rob_s
04-16-09, 09:41
Actually, I have not seen anyone promoting the XDM. I am certainly not, and have explicitly said so. However, there were some erroneous statements made about it, which I think is unfair no matter what gun or brand you are talking about. I agree the "thread has become barf", but not for the reasons that some seem to think.

So you have no dog in the "fight", you just want to weigh in to set the record straight?

nickdrak
11-20-09, 00:03
Just to bring this one back from the grave....

One of my co-workers & now fellow instructor recently went to a week long LE pistol instructor school. His XD45 completely locked-up on him when some debris (he thinks it was copper jacket shavings) got lodged into the grip safety mechanism. It dropped into the grip safety mech from the inside of the pistol. His pistol was completely useless until he was able to dissassemble it.

Vash1023
11-20-09, 02:05
dead thread,

but my xdm9, that i had for about 1 year, never gave me any problems

for shits and giggles i went about 4 months without cleaning it, going to the range at least once a week.

and not once did i ever have a problem, no failures to eject or failures to feed.

i dont understand y plp hate them so much.

glocks are just as foreign as xd's but nobody rags on Austria ????????

and springfield has amazing customer service.

oh and p.s. didnt the xdm9 win handgun of the year 2009???

dosent that give it a little credibility?

skyugo
11-20-09, 02:13
600 for an XDM?
no thanks. that's getting near HK prices...

John_Wayne777
11-20-09, 08:02

No, it doesn't. What some gun magazine decides to bestow awards on doesn't matter worth a hill of beans...certainly not enough to outweigh the XD's poor performance in a number of agency tests.

decodeddiesel
11-20-09, 09:20
didnt the xdm9 win handgun of the year 2009???

From Guns & Ammo? Not one damn iota.

ETA: I knew posting a link to this thread was going to stir up the pot. :D