PDA

View Full Version : S&W Bipod Question

Wall
04-08-09, 21:49
I have recently acquired a S&W MP15OR (great rifle, by the way). There is an opening in the bottom of the gas block that is designed to accept a push-button sling swivel. My question is does anyone make a bipod that plugs into that receiver without any modifications or adapters? And if an adapter is required, what would that be? :confused:Thanks.

crossgun
04-09-09, 05:32
Really? I’m confused. Your saying that the bottom of the exposed gas block has a counter bore in it that accepts a push button sling swivel stud? WOW! I don’t think it’s a good idea to attach a sling or especially a bi-pod to the gas block.

I am not aware of such a product and if something was available I would be very cautious. I don’t know how you could get the rigid attachment that you need for a bi-pod from the push button sling hole when you factor in the manufacturing tolerances of the counter bore. At that point if you did attach to the gas block, which is attached to the barrel, you would more than likely encounter shifts in your point of impact because you are applying direct force on the barrel.
Best thing to do would be to put a free float rail on it like the DD Omega and then the options become much greater.

I would love to see a pic of the bottom of the gas block.

The_War_Wagon
04-09-09, 08:43
Why not just a plain ol' rail adaptor? Here's one on my M&P15T with a Harris bipod on it (sorry - new rifle to me - only shot I have of it with the bipod JUST attached).

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/2_2.jpg

Nice solid attachment, and as Wall noted - no need to worry about affecting the gas block with your bipod, should it take a hard knock!

Wall
04-09-09, 16:27
Smith & Wesson designed the gas block to accept a swivel. Attached is a copy of a portion of the data sheet on the S&W website for the M&P 15ORC which says that's what it's for. Mine is the M&P 15OR, but it has the exact same gas block.
I have seen posts on the "other" forum by many others concerning the swivel attachment there and everyone says the same thing - that's what it's designed for. See close-up photo of my gas block.
I eventually plan to replace the front handguard with a rail system, but at the moment was just looking for a simple and inexpensive alternative for a bipod. Attached is a full photo of my gun, taken today.

crossgun
04-09-09, 22:55
OMG. Guess you can learn something every day. it appears that the gas block is held on with one pin? What is the small threaded hole for? Sling swivel stud?

Failure2Stop
04-09-09, 23:26
I am not a fan of attaching a weight bering item directly to the barrel due to changes in POI. A free-floated HG is a much better loaction for bipod attachment, if your use requires minimal POI shift. However, depending on your use, that POI shift may be transparent.

jbsmwd
04-10-09, 00:25
I have always wonder what that was for.

Puffy93
04-10-09, 00:52
I have recently acquired a S&W MP15OR (great rifle, by the way). There is an opening in the bottom of the gas block that is designed to accept a push-button sling swivel. My question is does anyone make a bipod that plugs into that receiver without any modifications or adapters? And if an adapter is required, what would that be? :confused:Thanks.

I've never seen a bipod that plugs into a QD swivel stud reciever but someone should. It seems like a really good idea.

Wall
04-10-09, 09:28
Inside the small hole is an allen keyed hold down bolt that helps secure the block to the barrel. The large hole is for the QD swivel to attach to.