PDA

View Full Version : Pivot pin intall tools

AnimalMother556
04-08-09, 23:49
Title says most of it. I have used needlenose pliers or hemostats in the past along with a feeler guage, but there must be a better way. Are any of these tools helpful? I've got two new lowers to assemble and I'd like to do this without having to order extra detents and springs beforehand. TIA.

exkc135driver
04-09-09, 00:30
Brownells AR-15 pivot pin installation tool, P/N 080-216-011, is overpriced at $14.95 but is very helpful.

Their AR-15 pivot pin depressor tool, P/N 080-216-010, is not needed for installing the pivot pin, but is essential if you ever want to remove it. It too is overpriced ... especially since it is just a small hex wrench (I haven't measured mine but I'd guess 1/16") with the end ground to a taper. If I ever need another one I'm just going to grind a small hex wrench to a taper.

You can download the directions for using each tool from Brownells website.

seb5
04-09-09, 07:17
The removal tool is not needed. The installation tool is worth having.

trinydex
04-09-09, 11:33
1/4" clevis pin and a punch will work just as well as the expensive tool.

i did my last one by using a pin punch to shove the detent (with spring) far down past the "drain hole" pictured here:

http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt230/NYShooters/bdd009fe.jpg

that tiny hole off to the left

then i used a 1/16" punch to hold the detent back by putting the punch into the drain hole (holding the "loaded" detent). put the pivot pin in and let the detent go into the detent channel of the pivot pin. you can also just take up some spring compression with the punch that's holding things back, just enough coils to fit the detent in.

Lawdog-1
04-09-09, 13:36
Has anybody ever made a home made tool like Brownells tool to install the front privet pin?

Dave L.
04-09-09, 13:46
Has anybody ever made a home made tool like Brownells tool to install the front privet pin?

Personally, I think the Brownells tool (the round aluminum with hole) is a POS. I shot more detents trying to use that thing...

Now I just cut 2-3 coils of the detent spring and then use a utility knife to push down on the detent.

YMMV.

trinydex
04-09-09, 13:57

This ought to run you $1.5 at the local hardware store:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j36/creampuff464/clevis.jpg

go to the hardware store, no need to make one.

Rainmaker9
04-09-09, 18:41
I used razor blades, they hold the detent and allow me to put in the pin and slide out the blade

OldNavyGuy
04-10-09, 09:24

YES !! i have taken .250" brass rod, drilled a hole dead center, bent the other end for gripping and turning, i have made them from soft steel, those i have given away, i like the brass far more.

kaiservontexas
04-10-09, 11:32
I used razor blades, they hold the detent and allow me to put in the pin and slide out the blade

I bought the tool, but my friend and I found it was easier to just use the razor blade method. We were watching a youtube video as a guide by DVDtracker, which is how he accomplished this task. So I agree with Rainmaker on using a razor blade.

Jerm
04-10-09, 12:45
I used a credit card.

It was a little too thick and got in the way some but it allowed me to hold the spring and detent just long enough to squeeze in the pin.

A razor blade would probably have worked even better(I'll keep that in mind).

drrufo
04-10-09, 17:37
Yes I made an install pin tool, I used a 1/4" rod with a hole drilled in it. The hole is just a little larger than the spring, it works very well and doesn't cost and arm and a leg.

RD62
04-10-09, 18:20
Feeler gauges work great for me!

-RD62

blacktail 8541
04-10-09, 21:45
I just use my fingers and the pivot pin.

For those that need a tool, a simple clevis pin works also.

Mark-VA
04-11-09, 16:41
I borrowed a nail file from my wife.

Another thing I did was to work inside a large Zip-lock bag so if I slipped and launched the spring, it would be contained in the bag and not lost in the carpet somewhere. Any bag (Zip-lock, grocery, whatever) would probably be better than nothing.

Plink
04-11-09, 23:20
Any of the above work, it may take a time or two to get the hang of it. I prefer the 1/4 X 2" clevis pin. The trick is to keep enough pressure on the pivot pin as the detent transitions off the clevis pin and onto the pivot pin.

To remove a pivot pin, pull it all the way open. There is a hole on the front. Insert a small allen wrench, pushing the detent back into the receiver. Rotate the wrench/pin about 45 degrees either way. Pull the pin out. Be prepared for the spring/detent to pop out.

HAMMERDROP
04-13-09, 00:00
QUOTE=Lawdog-1;346468]Has anybody ever made a home made tool like Brownells tool to install the front privet pin?[/QUOTE]

I did my best to get a visual outta Brownells catalog since their website doesn't show a pic and the catalog is a tiny picture so I
found a piece of spring steel at the hardware store and used a small ballpien hammer to hammer it into an inverted hockey stick shape and filed it flat like a screwdriver that looked like this ...
Worked like a charm, have since switched to KNS take down and pivot pins sorry pics aren't better.

A KNS pivot pin is actually cheaper than the tool

Michael

ACBMWM3
04-13-09, 21:03
I always just use a razor blade to put the detent in. Works best for me!

Shihan
04-14-09, 15:28
I borrowed a nail file from my wife.

Another thing I did was to work inside a large Zip-lock bag so if I slipped and launched the spring, it would be contained in the bag and not lost in the carpet somewhere. Any bag (Zip-lock, grocery, whatever) would probably be better than nothing.

Good idea right there about the bag.

flyer
04-16-09, 09:02
This tool from Special Operations is worth the money and will prevent the flying detents.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=24654&title=AR-15/M16%20PIVOT%20PIN%20INSTALLATION%20TOOL

OldNavyGuy
04-16-09, 09:22
This tool from Special Operations is worth the money and will prevent the flying detents.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=24654&title=AR-15/M16%20PIVOT%20PIN%20INSTALLATION%20TOOL

100-003-308
Pivot Pin Installation Tool $27.06

are you serious ? most of the above replies are right on......, but this ?? gimme a friggen break !!!!

flyer
04-16-09, 11:38
The Op was asking about tools and this is the best tool made to perform this operation. Yes, it is expensive (less if you qualify for the discounted price) and not for everyone. But for an armorer or someone who builds allot of lowers it works. I have installed pivot pins without any tools at all, it can be done, but it is usually frustrating and you spend some time looking for detents. This tool works and for some may be worth the price.

psdiver102
04-16-09, 11:53
go to the hardware store, no need to make one.

This is what i use. Cost me about .80 cent a few months ago.

CarlosDJackal
04-16-09, 12:17
I just use the Pivot Pin itself. I don't understand why people think that it is such a difficult task that they need a $27 tool to do it? :confused:

A-Bear680
04-16-09, 16:31

I made one from a peice of broken plastic coathanger. Almost anything that's close to the right diameter , easy to turn , and tough enough can get the job done. A clevis pin would have been less work , but I didn't feel like driving to the hardware store that day.

The plastic bag is a great thing for working with any parts than can self-launch. If something can launch , sooner or later it will.
;)

psdiver102
04-16-09, 16:46
I made one from a peice of broken plastic coathanger. Almost anything that's close to the right diameter , easy to turn , and tough enough can get the job done. A clevis pin would have been less work , but I didn't feel like driving to the hardware store that day.

The plastic bag is a great thing for working with any parts than can self-launch. If something can launch , sooner or later it will.
;)

Aint that the friggin truth. And you can hang up finding the springs/pins in dark green shag carpet.

exkc135driver
04-16-09, 17:46
Aint that the friggin truth. And you can hang up finding the springs/pins in dark green shag carpet.

There is a reason for that. All of these small parts are made with a built-in homing device that is pre-programmed to seek out the darkest, most inaccessible place. After the small part has successfully secreted itself in that dark and inaccessible place it then orients itself so that all shiny or brightly-colored surfaces are hidden. It's a plot that all of the gunmakers are part of. That way they sell more parts.

mike240
04-16-09, 18:53

Me too. Done many that way.

Fireglock
04-16-09, 22:09

Dark green shag carpet? Wow!