PDA

View Full Version : gas tube question.

89hits
12-28-06, 20:15
looking for the tech id, od, length, etc and the material used for manufacturing.Thanks

Harv
12-28-06, 20:47
You'll most likely not find that bit of Minutia on a gas tube.. your best bet is to get one and measure it yourself.... Ranks right up there with attempting to refill a disposable Bic Lighter....;)

K.L. Davis
12-28-06, 21:32
I can look it up in the morning... the OD is well known, 0.180 and ground to that +/- nothing at the ends.

It is SS, I dont know what grade right off the top of my head...

There have been numerous attempts at taming the carbine gas system by making tubes that are fatter, thinner, longer, coil around the barrel, have expansion chambers, variable valves, pressure regulators, pressure modulators and even a two piece job with a manifold and pop-valve between the two tubes -- you can judge the smashing success of these ideas by how well known they are.

Best bet to play with designs is to:

1. See what others have already tried.

2. Realize that the best answer is to just make the tube 2" longer and fill the extra space with mid-length handguards.

89hits
12-29-06, 19:23
I can look it up in the morning... the OD is well known, 0.180 and ground to that +/- nothing at the ends.

It is SS, I dont know what grade right off the top of my head...

There have been numerous attempts at taming the carbine gas system by making tubes that are fatter, thinner, longer, coil around the barrel, have expansion chambers, variable valves, pressure regulators, pressure modulators and even a two piece job with a manifold and pop-valve between the two tubes -- you can judge the smashing success of these ideas by how well known they are.

Best bet to play with designs is to:

1. See what others have already tried.

2. Realize that the best answer is to just make the tube 2" longer and fill the extra space with mid-length handguards. HEHE, yeah you are right, but I have a new idea and if it works, Ill be able to contribute to this site like a house afire, lol, but I guess I will have to measure myself.I was trying to avoid the removal process on mine, hehe.Kinda cheap attempt at laziness huh? Anyhow, I appreciate you fellers and I will let ya know what happens.I believe this little brainstorm may be the one thing the carbine folks have been waiting for, of course, thats what the inventers of many useless junk items have said, lol. Thanks KL