PDA

View Full Version : Flashlight/spare mag carrier

Littlelebowski
04-09-09, 10:41
I searched but didn't find what I was looking for. Looking for a mag carrier that also holds say a Surefire G2 or maybe someone wants to talk me into carrying one of the smaller lights with a clip like the Novatac that Todd has.

5pins
04-09-09, 11:53
http://www.blade-tech.com/Combo-Mag-Pouch-with-paddle-pr-864.html

ToddG
04-09-09, 12:41
To each his own, but I always prefer to have separate individual pouches. Takes up no more space on the Bat Belt and provides greater flexibility.

John_Wayne777
04-09-09, 13:54
I searched but didn't find what I was looking for. Looking for a mag carrier that also holds say a Surefire G2 or maybe someone wants to talk me into carrying one of the smaller lights with a clip like the Novatac that Todd has.

These days I use an RCS light carrier that's been mated to my double mag pouch. In prior days I carried a dedicated Blade-Tech pouch with the Tek-Lok system on it. Either would do fine for you.

One word of caution: Be careful with your light placement. I have tried to speed reload my pistol with a flashlight more than once using concealment gear....In that respect moving it away from your mags a bit might be helpful.

Littlelebowski
04-09-09, 18:01
How many mags are you guys carrying concealed? This would be for my G19.

Daveo
04-09-09, 18:03
I was going to ask about trying to reload a flashlight...is this just a training issue though?

John_Wayne777
04-09-09, 18:42

2 spares most of the time on a doublestack. Sometimes only one, but only when I'm in a "non permissive" environment.

If I'm packing a single stack I carry a minimum of 2 spares.

John_Wayne777
04-09-09, 18:44
I was going to ask about trying to reload a flashlight...is this just a training issue though?

Muscle memory. You're used to grabbing on a certain location on your belt for your spare. Your brain is focused on what's going on downrange. You've also got a lot of muscle memory drawing your flashlight.

Wires are crossed, sparks fly, and the next thing you know you're watching the flashlight approach the mag well and you're thinking...gee whiz....that isn't right. In fairness when it happened I had already gone through the mags I had on my belt or I had dropped a magazine. Of course, in a real life fight you may end up dropping a magazine. After experiencing that a couple of times I'm now keenly interested in replacing all my M&P floorplates with compact floorplates. I got a bit weary of pulling one mag and both mags coming out.

If the flashlight is in roughly the same location as the magazines your muscles can try to stuff it in the mag well before your brain can figure out that you're doing it wrong. I'm going to start wearing my light behind my hip to avoid a recurrence of that.

buggsb
04-09-09, 18:46

I've seen this on more than one occasion with folks wearing a combo pouch...

cougar_guy04
04-09-09, 18:53
Here's another one from Comp-Tac. Thought about picking one up, but am going back and forth between this and 2 separate carriers.
http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=31

mskdgunman
04-09-09, 19:06
If you like leather gear, Aker makes a single mag/flashlight pouch. It carries one double-stack mag and a small light (surefire or something similar). I've carried one for several years.

http://www.akerleather.com/

M4Fundi
04-10-09, 03:13
I own many lights and have had love affairs with many (OCONUS its the M2), but my new love is the SF L1 Digital Lumamax. It is the perfect size for the hand and small enough to carry in pouch or pocket or clipped. There is no excuse not to have it with you. I also love how it has 2 settings in tailcap so I can use the low as a task or search light (save juice and nightvision) and then push a little harder and get the Hi Beam. You can also lock in on either by twisting. It is small and bright enough for a CCW light.

I am looking for someone to make me a low profile pouch for it right now to carry behind my one spare mag.

I have a Blade Tech pouch for my E2 and it is a bomber great pouch, but too large for EDC carry pouch IMHO. I want Kydex, but think leather is going to be the answer.

ZDL
04-10-09, 03:38
Muscle memory. You're used to grabbing on a certain location on your belt for your spare. Your brain is focused on what's going on downrange. You've also got a lot of muscle memory drawing your flashlight.

Wires are crossed, sparks fly, and the next thing you know you're watching the flashlight approach the mag well and you're thinking...gee whiz....that isn't right. In fairness when it happened I had already gone through the mags I had on my belt or I had dropped a magazine. Of course, in a real life fight you may end up dropping a magazine. After experiencing that a couple of times I'm now keenly interested in replacing all my M&P floorplates with compact floorplates. I got a bit weary of pulling one mag and both mags coming out.

If the flashlight is in roughly the same location as the magazines your muscles can try to stuff it in the mag well before your brain can figure out that you're doing it wrong. I'm going to start wearing my light behind my hip to avoid a recurrence of that.

As ridiculous as this sounds (not to mention how stupid this makes me look) that has never occurred to me. I generally carry 1 spare single stack off duty. 2 on. I'll be revisiting that choice. Thanks John.

John_Wayne777
04-10-09, 07:58
As ridiculous as this sounds (not to mention how stupid this makes me look) that has never occurred to me. I generally carry 1 spare single stack. I'll be revisiting that choice. Thanks John.

It doesn't make you look stupid at all. Just human. Generally we as a species don't learn unless something smacks us in the face. I'm as guilty of that as anyone. The fact that you're able to see how it could be an issue puts you ahead of most who carry every day. All of this stuff is HIGHLY dependent upon equipment, clothing, activity, etc.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP1003.jpg

Prior to using the M&P I never had *ANY* issues with dropping magazines. Not with my Berettas, Glocks, 1911, etc. The floorplates on the full sized M&P mags, however, suck donkey balls. In the pic you can see how the lip of the floorplate extends well past the body of the magazine. This is done to make it fit flush with the grip of the M&P...but it causes problems. They are so big that sometimes when you grab one at speed in a double mag pouch you can end up grabbing a bit of the other one too. This is especially true if you are drawing from a closed front concealment garment or wearing gloves, even gloves like the Hatch tactical gloves I was wearing at Dave Pennington's concealment class. Sometimes when you grab the magazine you can grab a bit of shirt with it and if you pull hard enough the second mag can catch on the shirt and get pulled out as well....

Then when you go for that second reload you can miss the fact that the second mag isn't there and easily grab the flashlight and try to cram that in the mag well.

My advice on mag retention would be this:

1. Practice reloads from concealment with the gear and clothing you actually carry in.

2. If you change *ANY* piece of carry gear, test it thoroughly to see if it has any issues you need to deal with. Run in it. Do a couple of Hondo rolls. Do some jumping jacks. Roll around on the ground. Practice reloads and drills from concealment. The goal here is to simulate what you may actually be doing in a real fight to make sure you don't start shedding equipment should you need to engage in strenuous physical activity. (Like fighting/running for your life)

3. Adjust the tension on your mag carrier (presuming your mag carrier has a tension screw) so that it takes deliberate effort to get the magazine out. I tension my mag holders so that I can hold the loaded carrier upside down and shake it pretty good without the magazines falling out. Regularly check the tension on your mag holder to ensure that it's still adjusted properly. Blue Lock-tite might be beneficial for this application.

RWK
04-10-09, 08:35

One. Two if I'm working.

M4Fundi
04-11-09, 01:41
John Wayne I have some good news (I think:eek:) Hilton Yam designed some new floor plates for the M&P mags to deal with that problem and make them more burly. They are made of metal. I do NOT have personal experience with them but you might want to check them out.

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=79268&an=0&page=0#79268

God Bless

SOT364
04-11-09, 04:13
I tried the behind the mag thing, but could never find a comfortable or truly concealable solution.

I carry a Surefire L4 or an E1B in a horizontal carrier located at the 1 o'clock position with bezel facing the belt buckle.

This allows me to obtain a proper grip on it as I draw it from it's carrier and come into position without bringing my hand in front of the muzzle.

It is low profile and if anyone asks about it (if it shows when the suit coat is open) I just say its a flashlight. No one has really asked me to expand on why I carry one.

My carriers were made by a guy that no longer makes holsters, etc. Its been a while, but I believe there are some kydex makers who produce similar versions.

If your interested Mike Benedict at Talon Tactical may be able to work something up.

On the how many mags thing, 3 spares on duty and generally 1 spare off duty.

ToddG
04-11-09, 18:24

One spare. I have a very difficult time imagining a realistic survivable scenario in which a private citizen is going to need a third double-stack mag, but that's just me.

Everything is a "training issue." The problem is few people have unlimited money, unlimited ammo, unlimited time, and unlimited range access ... so we all have training limitations. Accidentally shoving a flashlight into a magwell certainly isn't uncommon.

John Wayne I have some good news (I think:eek:) Hilton Yam designed some new floor plates for the M&P mags to deal with that problem and make them more burly.

Or you could just use the flat floorplates from the M&P Compact, which are about 1/10th the price.

BTW, another reason I'd vote for separate light & mag holders: if you change the gun you carry or you change the light you carry, it's less you need to replace.

John_Wayne777
04-11-09, 18:47
One spare. I have a very difficult time imagining a realistic survivable scenario in which a private citizen is going to need a third double-stack mag, but that's just me.

Yeah, that's what they all say...and then next thing you know you're barefoot in the Nakatomi building with some Aryan blasting at you with an Aug....

ToddG
04-11-09, 19:50
Yeah, that's what they all say...and then next thing you know you're barefoot in the Nakatomi building with some Aryan blasting at you with an Aug....

That would be funny if not for the number of people who actually do use such things as their justification. :cool:

But really, it all comes down to personal choice. I carry two guns and more than 50 rounds of ammo on me every time I step out the front door. There are plenty of people who think two guns is silly worst case paranoia overkill.

There are plenty of people who think having a full size serious-caliber gun is silly worst case paranoia overkill.

There are plenty of people who think having a gun is silly worst case paranoia overkill.

So if you want to carry two, three, or sixteen spare mags on you, well, yeah, I think that's silly worst case paranoia overkill. :D

Hawkeye
04-17-09, 12:50
Did someone mention dropping a mag on a reload? (M&P mag no less)...

Allow me to demonstrate how not to do a reload. :rolleyes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Training/th_Reload.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Training/?action=view&current=Reload.flv)

ToddG
04-17-09, 18:09
Actually, my first thought was: pretty quick recovery.

Errors happen. Being able to recover from them efficiently is an important quality all it's own.

jeremy45
04-17-09, 19:13
I carry a combo light/mag pouch from Mitch Rosen. It's for a G19 mag and I carry a surefire 6P. When I do it over again I'll have the light and mag seperate. I think I'll probably go to a smaller light too.

I think a spare on the belt and a small light clipped in my pocket may be ideal. Haven't completely worked out this set up but the light and mag will definately be seperate next time around.

Jeremy

danpass
06-03-09, 20:52
good info.

LMTRocks
06-05-09, 21:37
6PLED resides in a blackhawk holster next to my either single mag or double mag pouch which are on the opposite side of my handgun(s). I always keep reload(s) on the support hand side.