PDA

View Full Version : NIB .40 Hi Power?

ToeCutter
04-09-09, 15:21
Is $800 too much money for a Brand New .40 Hi Power?

Business_Casual
04-09-09, 15:35
$1 is too much.

The 40 version doesn't get much respect here - durability problems, shootability problems, better alternatives available... etc.

M_P

RojasTKD
04-10-09, 16:07
I got a FN Hi-Power SFS in .40 S&W a few years back. I believe I paid $450 for it shipped, I thought the price eas too good to pass. I'd still like one in 9mm though.

It is awesome and SO VERY Accurate. I find the grip a little thicker than I'd like, but I believe all Hi-powers would be this way. Some slimmer grips might help. Truth this gun is so pretty with a nice shiny finish I don't shoot her much.

Pic linked.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb141/RojasTKD/MyFNs022.jpg

ToeCutter
04-10-09, 17:32
I got a FN Hi-Power SFS in .40 S&W a few years back. I believe I paid $450 for it shipped, I thought the price eas too good to pass. I'd still like one in 9mm though.

It is awesome and SO VERY Accurate. I find the grip a little thicker than I'd like, but I believe all Hi-powers would be this way. Some slimmer grips might help. Truth this gun is so pretty with a nice shiny finish I don't shoot her much.

Pic linked.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb141/RojasTKD/MyFNs022.jpg

I have also heard that .40 Hi Powers where accurate shooters and dead nuts reliable. They just have the typical crappy hi power trigger. Also with the .40 you can do a barrel conversion to 9mm and have two guns in one! Plus I think the Hi power happens to be dead sexy. So is 800 bones to much for a new Browning .40? They list for $1,075.00 or so on brownings web site.

ToeCutter
04-10-09, 17:34
$1 is too much.

The 40 version doesn't get much respect here - durability problems, shootability problems, better alternatives available... etc.

M_P

Your post contradicts everything I have ever heard or read about Brownings Hi Power.:confused:

TheGreenRanger24
04-10-09, 18:07
Your post contradicts everything I have ever heard or read about Brownings Hi Power.:confused:
Aren't the 9mm HP's "supposed" to be a pretty decent pistol? I've not heard a lot of good things about the .40's though. FWIW

RojasTKD
04-10-09, 19:04
Is $800 too much money for a Brand New .40 Hi Power?

Not really sure... I guess you have to check current prices. I'm a bargain hunter. I don't think I'd pay that much for one, then again I also don't own a HK or Sig because I think they are too pricey.

OK, I do own one HK, but that's because I wanted a MK23 (SOCOM) and was willing to pay for one, and even that was at a good price (relatively speaking).

Business_Casual
04-10-09, 19:18

Awesome! Buy it in confidence then!

M_P

ToeCutter
04-10-09, 20:09
Awesome! Buy it in confidence then!

M_P

Just sayn'... I guess I will do some more research on the subject.

sdacbob
04-11-09, 11:37
The trigger issue is a result of the magazine safety device. It's easily fixable.

DRich
04-11-09, 14:56
I have several 9mm BHP's and I love them. A true classic in the world of firearms.

I've had three different .40 BHP's and I'll never have another one. They are finicky with ammo selection, two of mine developed cracked slides and none of them were as accurate as their 9mm brethren.

But to answer the original question, even if they were as good as the 9mm version, $800 is WAY too much.

ToddG
04-11-09, 18:58
The .40 is not known for its durability. Depending on your needs, that may or may not matter to you. Of course, the 9mm isn't exactly known as stellar in that department, either.

If you use an aggressive thumbs-forward grip, there's a good chance you'll ride the front of the slide stop which has the unfortunate result of locking the slide every after every ... single ... shot. Of course, you can compromise your grip if you want.

While removing the mag safety will improve the trigger somewhat, the BHP design is intrinsically poor when it comes to reset. The reset isn't as positive as most people like these days and it tends to be somewhat inconsistent from shot to shot. While plenty of people do gunsmithing on BHPs, it takes someone who is really intimately knowledgeable about the mechanism to get a good trigger. In fairness, the best guys really can make the BHP trigger fantastic.

The recoil spring is extremely heavy. My wife, who shoots more often than a typical cop and has substantially more training, was completely incapable of manipulating it quickly during stoppage clearance drills, etc.

Except for the slide stop problem. I must admit that I really like the way a BHP feels and shoots (even with a less-than-the-best trigger job). If I were to get one, though, I'd probably steal the idea posted by another forum member recently and get a .40-cal BHP converted permanently to 9mm.

dutch
04-11-09, 19:51
Saw a new 40 prac today at Gander Mt for $500.

murphy j
04-11-09, 21:26
If I were to get one, though, I'd probably steal the idea posted by another forum member recently and get a .40-cal BHP converted permanently to 9mm.

I wouldn't call it stealing. I don't know who else is doing it, but I know for fact Bar-Sto makes a barrel for this conversion.

JonInWA
04-12-09, 08:02
We recently had an excellent discussion about the pros and cons specifically about the Hi-Power in .40. A using the "Search" feature should easily find it. The thread is titled "Any Experiences with the .40 Hi-Power?"

Best, Jon

ToeCutter
04-12-09, 14:40
We recently had an excellent discussion about the pros and cons specifically about the Hi-Power in .40. A using the "Search" feature should easily find it. The thread is titled "Any Experiences with the .40 Hi-Power?"

Best, Jon

That was an interesting read, Thanks.

JonInWA
04-14-09, 08:10
Regarding price, I assume that you're pricing what's called a "Standard" Hi-Power-high polished blued slide and receiver, and wood (walnut) checkered grips with a smooth border, with either fixed or adjustable sights (current adjustable sights are of a significantly lower profile than the previous ones) Alternatively, there's what's called the "MkIII," which has a black epoxy finish and fixed sights, and plastic grips. $800 is the going price that I've seen for a Standard Hi-Power at a local Sportsmans Warehouse-it's not a great price, but then again there are very few new Hi-Powers being imported by Browning, so your choices are going to be limited regarding a NIB Hi-Power. However, if it's a Mk III, that price is too high in my opinion.

Continued importation/availability of Hi-Powers is a hot topic on several of the Hi-Power forums. Reputable participants have been assured by Browning reps that they will be continued to be imported, but they appear to be doing so sporadically, and in small lots. Even with assembly in Portugal, the Hi-Power, while a classic handgun, is expensive to produce, and with relatively small demand at its market price....So if you want a new one, and have the disposable dollars, an if you want a Standard Hi-Power, the asking price may well be your best choice-but you can always try negotiating, or check with another store, such as Bud's Gunshop, which does high-volume (and significant internet) sales.

Best, Jon