PDA

View Full Version : Safe Storage/Transport of Expensive Mags?

M4Fundi
04-10-09, 04:49
With the possible oncoming end of the world "The Obamalips" and maybe not able to purchase mags or at reasonable prices I am looking at them less as replaceable parts and more as priceless irreplaceable necessities.

Soooo is there a "special/better" bag, pouch, box or way of storing and carrying your mags to and from the range?

I have always used ziplox in my range bucket/bag and now would like to step up to a proper safer and more organized method. Thanks

Kimbo
04-10-09, 11:47
Keep them in the range bag, mags can generally handle normal abuse like bouncing around in a bag or bucket. If you want to go all out for peace of mind get a pelicaN case haha. As far as your mentality on mags, I agree to a certain extent except the fact that the more often you use your mags the more you wear the springs out. Granted it would take lot to induce mag failure but I'm just saying.

markm
04-10-09, 11:53
I've been wondering about securing shit at my house that I hadn't worried about before.

Mags and Ammo specifically. That stuff is bordering on irreplaceable.

Dave L.
04-10-09, 11:58
I've been wondering about securing shit at my house that I hadn't worried about before.

Mags and Ammo specifically. That stuff is bordering on irreplaceable.

I am hoping to build a "safe room" in my future basement this summer. 10'X10' room with 8" concrete walls, and 10" thick ceiling. Custom safe doors run about 2-5K for decent ones.

Over all it's cheaper than 4 giant liberty safes.

markm
04-10-09, 12:12
Yep. I've been looking into a Vault Door for an extra closet and/or just steel cage/lockers. But everything is almost as expensive as adding a nice big safe.

If this Dunce President gets a ban done, I'm going to have to do something to secure the mags and ammo.

Aristogeiton
04-10-09, 12:56
I want to go with: Secret Room, Larger Gun Safe (30 min. fire, 525 lbs. etc) and a cheap steel decoy safe.

The idea is to have a secret room in your house to store the big gun safe.

Then a cheap steel safe (in plane sight) as a decoy. The decoy will have the old Marlin M60 .22 and any other non working firearms I have.

I'm worried about fire and plan on having a large suitcase (or similiar bag with rollers) by my hidden safe that I can quickly load all my pistols rifles and mags into to get them out of the house if possible.

I have yet to put this plan into place, but hope to do so when I buy our next house.

Iraqgunz
04-10-09, 13:13
I told the wife I was going to drain the pool and build a bunker. She told me that I was smoking some weird shit and to fugettaboutit. It was worth a try though.

markm
04-10-09, 13:29
Bunker is easier than a pool to maintain!

Buckaroo
04-10-09, 15:02
For range carry I use these http://www.ishot-inc.com/store2/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=38

Buckaroo

Buckaroo
04-10-09, 15:03
Bunker is easier than a pool to maintain!

Pools are also a hell of a lot more dangerous than firearms!!!!

My sister in law hates gun and wants a pool. I am telling my BIL that he needs to be sure she knows the risks to their two little girls.

Buckaroo

Josh-L
04-11-09, 00:49
Seriously?

I must say I've never had a fear my mags would get damaged in transport to and from the range.

M4Fundi
04-11-09, 01:57
Buckaroo you are my hero that is EXACTLY what I was looking for or going to have made:D

Thanks !!!!!!!