PDA

View Full Version : Pre Workout?

LawDog
04-10-09, 12:19
For those who wake up and go workout what do you eat or take before your workout? I read some take a whey shake and some take some of these "NO" products. Thanks

ballistic
04-10-09, 12:53
When I workout right after I wake up, all I have is a cup of coffee and water first. No meal right before a workout. What's more important is what you eat right after a workout.

Impact
04-10-09, 13:26
water and a banana if I'm going for hard cardio. I try to eat at least 1 to 2 hours before the workout though.

murphy j
04-10-09, 20:33
I'll have a cup of yoghurt and maybe a graham cracker with some water 30 to 45 minutes before working out and within 30 minutes of waking up. A good protein shake within an hour after working out.

Mr.Goodtimes
04-11-09, 07:04
water, a banana with some peanut butter, and a scoop of NO Shotgun.

i dont consume any other form of caffeine so the NO Shotgun is my only source of caffeine, its sort of like my morning coffe. the NO Shotgun also has creatine and 21g of whey protein in it.

John Frazer
04-11-09, 07:50
The Crossfit program is intense enough that I often get heartburn or mild nausea if I work out too soon after eating.

On the rare occasions when I wake up early enough to work out first thing in the AM, I have no trouble working out on an empty stomach.

Otherwise, I try not to eat within about two hours before my workout, and if it's less than four or five hours, I slightly reduce the carbohydrate load and reduce or avoid caffeine.

I try to eat something as soon as possible after the workout. At least something like a Balance bar, but preferably a full meal in Zone proportions.

Mr.Goodtimes
04-11-09, 08:20
i eat a huge meal right before bed, usually a cup of jasmine rice and two chicken breasts (seasoned with dillo dust). so im usually good to go if i workout within about 30 min of waking up. however, some times the banana can really help me through my workouts.

Gutshot John
04-11-09, 09:20
The notion of caffeine being bad for a workout has been pretty thoroughly disproven. There is a growing body of literature that says that coffee just before a workout might actually be a good idea. Avoid cream/milk in your coffee if you're going to do this.

Eating a heavy meal right before you go to bed is not a good idea if you're trying to lose weight.

Similarly you shouldn't work out on a full stomach. Wait at least an hour after eating before working out...a high protein shake/meal right after working out however is a good idea.

NoBody
04-11-09, 10:31
For those who wake up and go workout what do you eat or take before your workout?

Usually nothing. If the workout is going to be over an hour then I'll have a banana or energy bar (whatever the wife buys for me at Sam's) and water half way through the workout. In summer time, I'll be drinking (usually just water) before and during the workout (every 10 to 15 minutes).

Mr.Goodtimes
04-11-09, 11:42
The notion of caffeine being bad for a workout has been pretty thoroughly disproven. There is a growing body of literature that says that coffee just before a workout might actually be a good idea. Avoid cream/milk in your coffee if you're going to do this.

Eating a heavy meal right before you go to bed is not a good idea if you're trying to lose weight.

Similarly you shouldn't work out on a full stomach. Wait at least an hour after eating before working out...a high protein shake/meal right after working out however is a good idea.

Im certainly not trying to loose weight, im a triathlete. 6 foot, 176lbs, sub ten percent bf. i do this intentionally to keep from going catabolic in the night and to carb load for the next day, keeps my glycogen levels up.

i also usually wait about fourty five min after eating a banana to work out. i never work out on a full stomach, that never goes well.

JhnyReb
04-11-09, 11:55
1/2 to 1 cup of steel cut oatmeal with raisens is a good amount of food that will help maintain performance for an early morning workout. Steel cut oats are full of complex carbs that break down slower in the body and provide prolonged fuel for your workout. A small cup of black coffee is okay (for those who like caffine) But as a general rule you should never exceed mor milligrams of caffine then your total body weight. It is also a really good idea to have a small glass of 100% fruit juice immediately after rising in the morning to help out with your blood sugar levels, nobody likes pushing their workout hard and passing out ..... Hope this is helpful

WillBrink
04-11-09, 15:42
For those who wake up and go workout what do you eat or take before your workout? I read some take a whey shake and some take some of these "NO" products. Thanks

Source:

http://www.brinkzone.com/articledetails.php?acatid=3&aid=85

It's All In The Timing - Pre & Post Workout Nutrition
:: by Will Brink

Most people are aware that nutrient timing is as important as nutrient composition. In other words, it’s not just what you eat, but when you eat it that gives optimal results. As the man says, “Timing is everything.” Consuming the right foods at the right time can have positive effects on body composition: which means more muscle and less body fat.

Health-conscious people are told to avoid simple carbohydrates, and for good reasons. It’s not true all the time and in every situation, however. Following a heavy workout, there is a metabolic “window” - so to speak - where the body preferentially shuttles glucose into the liver and muscles to replace lost glycogen via both insulin-dependent and non-insulin-dependent transport mechanisms. Translated, this means your body will shuttle carbs and protein into the tissues you want (muscle) instead of storing them as fat after a workout.

To carry the analogy further, the metabolic window doesn’t stay open indefinitely, so you need to take advantage of the opportunity while it lasts.

A number of studies have found that a post-workout drink containing simple, high-GI carbs and protein increases protein synthesis dramatically. The two work synergistically to create an anabolic environment that’s superior to either nutrient alone. In addition, some recent work suggests that a pre-workout drink may be superior to a post-workout drink, and consuming both may be best of all!

Research looking at the issue has gotten a great deal of attention in the sports nutrition world. One particularly interesting study, “Timing of amino acid-carbohydrate ingestion alters anabolic response of muscle to resistance exercise.” (Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2001 Aug;281(2):E197-206), compared the anabolic responses to a carbohydrate and amino acid supplement taken either before or after resistance exercise. It’s counterintuitive to think taking in these nutrients before the workout is superior to post-workout, but according to this small study:

“…results indicate that the response of net muscle protein synthesis to consumption of an EAC solution [carb/amino acid drink] immediately before resistance exercise is greater than that when the solution is consumed after exercise, primarily because of an increase in muscle protein synthesis...”

Since this study was published, several researchers have proposed that providing amino acids/protein and carbs both before and after a resistance workout represents the best of both worlds. This is the premise of the book “Nutrient Timing” by John Ivy and Robert Portman. They present compelling evidence that the right mixture of nutrients, taken at key points in the muscle growth cycle, will optimize improvements in muscle growth, strength, and power, as well as enhance recovery from exercise.

Overall, there’s a solid body of scientific evidence to support using a blend of fast-acting carbs and amino acids/protein for both pre- and post-workout nutrition. It’s definitely a “hot” topic among sports researchers. It’s also a topic that seems to create endless speculation and conversation with non-scientists looking to get the most of their time in the gym. Everyone wants to hear the latest word, it seems.

So what’s the latest word?

The place to discover cutting edge research on a topic is to attend conferences where researchers present their most recent findings. This is a much faster way of getting current info than reading scientific journals, as it can take many months (even years!) to publish the work researchers submit for review and publication.

Each year, I attend various scientific conferences that apply to my interests, research, and business. This year I attended the International Society of Sports Nutrition (ISSN) conference in Las Vegas. The ISSN is a relatively new organization and this was their third conference to date.*

A session on the role of nutrition in exercise and recovery was particularly interesting. One standout study**, “Effects of protein and carbohydrate on anabolic responses to resistance training” looked at the effects of carbs, creatine, and whey - taken alone and in different combinations - on LBM and/or strength. The conclusion was that the combination of all three (whey, carbs, and creatine) was the most effective and that there appeared to be a true synergism between these nutrients. This study also confirmed that these nutrients, taken both before and after training, have a greater effect on lean mass and strength than when taken at other times of the day. I don’t think that comes as a big surprise to most people “in the know” about such things, but it’s good to see it confirmed under controlled conditions.

The take home lesson is this: if you want to optimize your nutrition to gain muscle mass and strength, it’s vital to consume a combination of fast-acting carbs and protein during the workout “window.”

Here’s what I recommend: mix 30-50g of high quality whey with 75-100g of high GI carbs (such as glucose, maltodextrin, etc.,) and 3-5g of creatine monohydrate and drink half immediately before you hit the gym, and the other half immediately following your workout.

[Authors note 2009: the above was written before I looked at the research on Vitargo. Read article on Vitargo on the BrinkZone web site for the latest on what should be the superior carb source for pre and post workout...]

To make it extra simple, I use a pre-made carb drinks (e.g., TwinLab Ultra Fuel, etc.) and add the whey and creatine to that and mix it up. You can “roll your own” of course by buying various carb powders in bulk. I just like the convenience of the pre-made carb mixtures myself.

As you can see, I don’t use a complicated formula for the amounts of protein, carbs, and creatine to take pre- and post-workout. Why? Because - while focusing on such minutiae would make me look smart - it probably won’t have any effects on you. Following the K.I.S.S. (“Keep It Simple, Stupid”) system works best here. The above formula is more then sufficient to supply the nutrients required to take advantage of the metabolic window. Some people take it a step further by dividing the formula into three parts, to be consumed before, during and after the workout, but I don’t see the need for that either. I doubt there are any real benefits to it, but more research is needed there.

This isn’t a miracle mixture, of course. If your training and/or nutrition over the rest of the day aren’t up to snuff, this pre- and post-workout drink won’t make up for those shortcomings. In conjunction with a good training program and diet however, combining pre- and post-workout nutrition will clearly add to your success. And remember, it’s not rocket science, so don’t make it any more complicated then it needs to be.

*I recommend that anyone interested in the topic of sports nutrition - lay person or scientist - should join the ISSN.* Visit their web site at http://www.sportsnutritionsociety.org for more information.

**Presented by Dr. Paul Cribb

LawDog
04-12-09, 10:20
Thanks everyone for the ideas. I am getting back into it and have done it wrong for so long. It is a little difficult to balance a gym routine with home life all while working the road. Will as a professional thanks for taking time out to share your findings. I am pretty much reading eveything you write and post. There is a ton of info. It is nice to find a place that is made up of real world folks as oppsed to some of the places I have found where most of the folks use the gym professionally. I am not looking to body build just increase my strength and over all fitness. Not to mention Im almost 10-15 years older than most of the guys on my squad. The young guys are killing me in DT. Not to mention I did not get the memo that declared open season on cops. But that is not for this thread.

Again thanks for everyones help.

Stay Safe and see you in some of my next posts.

WillBrink
04-12-09, 10:50
Thanks everyone for the ideas. I am getting back into it and have done it wrong for so long. It is a little difficult to balance a gym routine with home life all while working the road. Will as a professional thanks for taking time out to share your findings. I am pretty much reading eveything you write and post. There is a ton of info. It is nice to find a place that is made up of real world folks as oppsed to some of the places I have found where most of the folks use the gym professionally. I am not looking to body build just increase my strength and over all fitness. Not to mention Im almost 10-15 years older than most of the guys on my squad. The young guys are killing me in DT. Not to mention I did not get the memo that declared open season on cops. But that is not for this thread.

Again thanks for everyones help.

Stay Safe and see you in some of my next posts.

When you combine life and age, you have to learn how to train smart vs just hard. That's where the real training begins. I get into some more details about that in this prior post for example:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=27309

ron_m4
04-15-09, 05:27

high protein shake or just plain water....

after workout - oatmeal and banana for potassium

jht3
04-15-09, 18:11
when i get up at 5:30am to lift, I mix up a protein shake and drink that on the drive to the gym at work. Post workout I drink another shake and swing by the cafeteria for boiled eggs, oatmeal, yogurt, etc. i find i'm not as tired as when i didn't drink a shake before

whey protein shakes can be pretty nasty tasting. i've tried numerous brands and flavors so i'm beginning to think none taste "good". what are all your experiences? i'm talking about 100% whey with no added sugars.

losbronces
04-15-09, 20:16
when i get up at 5:30am to lift, I mix up a protein shake and drink that on the drive to the gym at work. Post workout I drink another shake and swing by the cafeteria for boiled eggs, oatmeal, yogurt, etc. i find i'm not as tired as when i didn't drink a shake before

whey protein shakes can be pretty nasty tasting. i've tried numerous brands and flavors so i'm beginning to think none taste "good". what are all your experiences? i'm talking about 100% whey with no added sugars.

Syntrax (no added sugar or fat) mixed with "super light" skim milk is the most palatable I've found.

Any of them mixed with water and you just have to force them down. For me anyway, no protein after a workout leads to a noticeable increase in muscle soreness.

Blake
04-16-09, 15:22
If I'm going for a run, 3-6 miles usually, I always feel like garbage if I drink or eat anything prior to. Is this because I'm eating/drinking the wrong things, or is this common, or just me? I would like to get whatever boost that I can, but I like to run to stay in shape and to keep my weight down. Is drinking/eating before a workout better if just weight training?

ron_m4
04-16-09, 20:10
for my protein shake i take HERBALIFE.

2 scoops of pure protein mixed with the choco or vanilla flavoring ( also from H-LIFE )

i can't take the damn taste of pure protein.

if you eat boiled eggs, just take the white and DONT eat the yellow part. It has a very high cholesterol on it.

murphy j
04-16-09, 20:20
if you eat boiled eggs, just take the white and DONT eat the yellow part. It has a very high cholesterol on it.

While I prefer just the white, I've been given to understand that the yellow actually has good cholesterol not bad. I may have been misinformed, but the person who told me this is infinately more knowledgeable than me about these things.

Mr.Goodtimes
04-17-09, 09:44
as long as you dont eat too many, the cholesterol in the yolk of an egg is good for you. i eat six eggs, 4 egg whites and two whole eggs for a total of six.

jht3
04-20-09, 18:17
Syntrax (no added sugar or fat) mixed with "super light" skim milk is the most palatable I've found.

Any of them mixed with water and you just have to force them down. For me anyway, no protein after a workout leads to a noticeable increase in muscle soreness.

that's about what i've found. i've taken to mixing with water just because it is easier. but even with milk, i find i have to force it down. i'd like to find one that i actually look forward to drinking, and isn't full of sugar and extras. maybe that's a pipe dream

mseanmc
04-25-09, 14:36
On weightlifting (olympic lifts and functional strength exercises) I mix 16oz of apple juice with one scoop of vanilla protein powder. That provides a 2 to 1 ratio of carbs to protein (32g to 16g). I sip on this throughout the workout. After the workout I'll mix up a muscle milk shake with water.

On cardio days I don't do anything special besides drink H20.

ron_m4
04-29-09, 06:58
While I prefer just the white, I've been given to understand that the yellow actually has good cholesterol not bad. I may have been misinformed, but the person who told me this is infinately more knowledgeable than me about these things.

yes it could be.... but anything in excess is no longer healthy. Diet depends on the age as well. If your body cholesterol count is already high then regular eating of egg yolk is not appropriate.

JesseWin27
05-21-09, 22:39
If you can get in some Yoga pre-workout you'll be loosened up enough that you wont need to worry about doing just specific stretches. Cleans are a good all body warm up after a small jog.

Tracer
05-25-09, 11:40
LawDog.....I don't eat anything before my workout, only a glass of water. I stretch and then workout abs first before any walking, running or lifting. No one should eat anything, as your brain will send a signal for blood to flow more to the mid-ab section of your body for food breakdown etc.

However, by all means eat within 30 minutes "after" a work out, espcially if your lifting weights OK. Your body gets the most boost from those nutrients during that first 30 minutes. Now anybody got any questions, just tune to BILL PEARL'S web sight. He has done it all and is the greatest at what he did in his career as a bodybuilder and trainer of champions.

MikeN
05-25-09, 11:54
Pre-workout in the morning? Yogurt and water

greene
07-08-09, 19:11
Right after you wake up? A strong cup of coffee and a piece of fruit, after when you need food egg whites, oatmeal, glass of milk.