PDA

View Full Version : CA legal AR-15

lostwake
04-10-09, 13:29
I am putting some lowers together for some friends in CA. Since the laws are so crazy I want to make sure I am giving them the correct info. They are trying to make there AR's California legal by adding a 10rd mag and a bullet button to an out of state AR. So i told them that is not allowed because to be truly legal in CA the lower has to come from the factory with the bullet button. Conversions are not allowed. That is why bushmasters are banned in CA, no exceptions. Beacuse bushmaster does not put a bullet button on them. So i refered them to some companys in CA that sell them installed with the BB and 10rounders so they can just swap them out and be good to go. Is anyone more versed in the laws and can let me know?

MaceWindu
04-10-09, 13:41
Is anyone more versed in the laws and can let me know?

ANY lower not on the list can be shipped as a stripped lower, no bullet button needed.

Off list lowers:

CMMG
Doublestar
Stag
Denny's Guns
Superior
Sully CY6
LMT
Lauer
Cavalry Arms
POF
Larue Tactical
Fulton Armory
LRB
Mega Machine
Noveske
Rock River LAR-15
Sabre Defense
Spikes

Bushmaster, Colt and Armalite receivers CANNOT be shipped to Kali, even stripped.

Mace

lostwake
04-10-09, 14:01
Ok. so I can pretty much just tell them not to buy a colt, bushy or armalite.

Bimmer
04-10-09, 14:06
ISo i told them that is not allowed because to be truly legal in CA the lower has to come from the factory with the bullet button. Conversions are not allowed.

You're flat wrong. "Conversions" of "off-list lowers" are perfectly legal, as long as the weapon NEVER meets the definition of "assault weapon" WHILE in California.

Not only is it legal to convert an "assault weapon" to CA-legal, it's easy (and legal) to go back and forth.

For example, I can un-lock my "Raddlock" magazine release while in AZ or OR, use 30-round magazines, everything like a normal AR (and legal), just as long as I "lock" the magazine release and only use 10-round mags in California. I can also legally unlock the Raddlock when using my .22lr kit in California (though I can't use high-cap magazines).
Of course, I could also illegally unlock the magazine release if the SHTF...

You can ship a complete lower to CA, though that's pushing it (it can't be an "assault weapon" without an upper on it). Better would be to install a Raddlock or Bullet Button first (or simply don't install the mag release at all), then ship it.

Make sure that their FFL is "OLL-friendly." This is all legal, technically, but a lot of FFLs have been so intimidated by the CA DoJ so much that they won't even touch anything AR.

For more info, go to Calguns.net.

Bimmer

pneutin
04-11-09, 13:38
You do not have to use a bullet button if you go with a featureless build, meaning your rifle cannot have any of the following:

1. pistol grip
2. vertifcal foregrip
3. flash suppressor
4. telescoping stock

And if you go with a featureless build, you can use 30-round preban magazines.