PDA

View Full Version : I've gone to the Darkside a.k.a I just bought a Glock

murphy j
04-10-09, 22:37
I've always been a loyal 1911 guy and currently own 2 custom built ones, but it's gotten expensive to shoot .45 and damn near impossible to find. Not to mention I've been getting kinda bored with the platform. So I'd recently been contemplating moving to a different caliber and platform, but hadn't settled on anything definite, but was leaning towards 9mm. I went to the Wannenmacher Arms Show in Tulsa last weekend and lo and behold, one of the dealers I've had business with in the past and I see at shows often had just gotten in a small shipment of Glocks in .40 and 9mm. They had two G19s and on impulse I worked a trade for one. I gave them an older, abused and rarely cleaned till I got ahold of it, 20" Bushmaster A3 and I got a BNIB G19 and $350. I also got a thousand round of BVAC 9mm ball and a box of 50 Speer Gold Dot 124gr +p. Now, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to Glocks and what 'upgrades' can be done to them. I know I need to shoot the bejeezus out of it, but what else? I'm definitely going to replace the factory sights and am leaning toward the Warrens or Heinie straight eights. What other basic and inexpensive suggestions do you Glock guys have?

LOKNLOD
04-10-09, 22:41
Welcome :D

Other than the sights, you might consider the Tangodown extended mag release, if you find the factory release a little hard to reach.

trio
04-10-09, 22:43
well....your idea of go shoot it first is extremely valid...

whereas I mod all of my glocks exactly the same, it is through much trial and error and shooting that I have come to realize what i like in the glock

every glock I own has

1) warren tactical/sevigny dot on dot night sights (3 with warrens, 1 with sevigny...very similar sights)

2) glock extended slide release

3) ghost 3.5 connector

4) Vicker's Tactical Mag release....

for me, personally, that sets the gun up in a way that makes me more effective shooting the platform....

but...what works for me may not work for you...i'd shoot it bone stock first and go from there

the good news is, except for the sights, nothing I install in my guns costs more than $20...its easy to change, and just as easy to change back....so experimentation is cheap...its one of the beauties of a glock

murphy j
04-10-09, 22:43
Actually that is a mod I've considered, but I'm not sure how immediately neccessary. The sights are a must in the near future as that rear sight is too much of a distraction.

LOKNLOD
04-10-09, 22:47
Actually that is a mod I've considered, but I'm not sure how immediately neccessary. The sights are a must in the near future as that rear sight is too much of a distraction.

A sharpie does wonders for making the plastic rear sight less distracting ;) I ran my 34 like that for a while before I got my Warrens (which I recommend also, but sights are very much a personal thing).

murphy j
04-10-09, 22:48
1) warren tactical/sevigny dot on dot night sights (3 with warrens, 1 with sevigny...very similar sights)

2) glock extended slide release

3) ghost 3.5 connector

4) Vicker's Tactical Mag release

All things I've come across while using the search function, but if I wanted to do these things myself, where can I find 'How to' instructions? Is there a book I can buy or a particular forum to go to?

murphy j
04-10-09, 22:50
A sharpie does wonders for making the plastic rear sight less distracting ;) I ran my 34 like that for a while before I got my Warrens (which I recommend also, but sights are very much a personal thing).

I like Sharpie :D. I'd actually thought of this as I've run my 1911s with a tritium front and plain in the rear.

trio
04-10-09, 22:51
check out www.glocktalk.com

there is a lot of crap over there....but if you can wade through it you can find out how to do about every possible modification to a glock you can conceive of....

murphy j
04-10-09, 22:57
check out www.glocktalk.com

there is a lot of crap over there....but if you can wade through it you can find out how to do about every possible modification to a glock you can conceive of....

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Heavy Metal
04-10-09, 23:09
One of us.....one of us....one of us..........

-Wes-
04-10-09, 23:26
gooble gobble?

Gentoo
04-11-09, 01:23
Big +1 on the Vickers mag release.

You won't regret it.

thopkins22
04-11-09, 01:42
I'll second getting a Vickers mag release.

I used to have to shift the gun in my hand to release the magazine. Not with the Vickers release. Initially I was worried that it might lead to unintentionally dropping the magazine, but it seems to be too short for that.

I'm also really happy with Warren Tactical sights. I've tried other styles, from pure target sights to sights that are supposedly better for speed shooting. These are the perfect medium for me. It's too bad that despite my cool guy accessories I still can't shoot a pistol well....;)

ROCKET20_GINSU
04-11-09, 02:53
I like added the smooth trigger like the G17/G34 has. I don't like the serrated trigger that comes stock on the G19. I've had good success with both warrens and heinies so you will not go wrong there.

Consider adding a butt plug also, There has been alot of talk back and fourth on it but frankly its cheap insurance and helps improve reloading IMO.

tpd223
04-11-09, 04:09
Pick sights you prefer, or that work for your eyes, whatever.

I'd leave the fire control parts factory.

I've seen more trouble from extended stuff than it ever solved.

SkiDevil
04-11-09, 04:55
Some very good advice was given. Shoot the gun stock first, then decide what modifications it may need. I attend some informal shooting competitions and problaby 3/4 of the shooters use a Glock (usually 9 MM and .40 SW). I noticed that the majority of the shooters who have problems, modified the guns extensively (I'm a Firm believer in K.I.S.S. philosophy). Some good suggestions were given already, but other than changing the sights I would personally leave the gun alone.

I shoot and carry a Sig 226 9MM now, but for quite a while I shot only a G17. That pistol has easily had 100,000+ rounds through it (purchased it in 1990). Glocks are well made and reliable guns. The only precautions I would give are to stay clear of imported ammo, hard primers sometimes will not ignite with striker fired guns and for self-defense the slide is easily pushed-out of battery at contact distances.

G19 was an excellent choice, shorter guns seem to point better for me (23 vs 17).

Also, I spoke with Glock last month about my G17. I had the gun inspected at a GSSF shoot in NV and I was told the receiver had a hairline crack. The gunsmith I spoke with in GA told me that it may have resulted because I did not change the springs enough. Apparently, Glock is now recommending the replacement of the springs every 5,000 rounds. The reason cited was that this is a wear item and requires replacement. If the gun is going to be used recreationally, then it doesn't matter. If used for self-defense or duty use it may be a consideration. I myself, always have two identical guns for carry/ duty use. Practice/ train with one and carry the second after testing thoroughly (several thousand rounds).

Enjoy your Glock. I like to think of them as a good all around shooting tool. They are also great guns for teaching new shooters as well.

Regards,

SkiDevil
:)

rat31465
04-11-09, 08:32
Would you like to have another glass of Kool-Aide?

Beat Trash
04-11-09, 09:02
What works for one, might not work for another. Case in point, my fingers are long enough to work the stock magazine release without having to shift my hand.

I replaces the stock extended mag release on my G34 with a standard size factory mag release form a Glock 17. The extended release rubbed against my support hand.

I love the Glock 19, it's my favorite Glock.

Personally, the only thing I do to my Glocks is have night sights installed. Then I clean, oil, then shoot the piss out of them.

If you are new to a particular type of gun, then I recommend you shoot it for a bit to get acquainted with it. Once that is done, then change anything you feel would help you.

Too many modify guns, or add crap to them because "all the cool kids on the internet do it". If asked why a particular item was added or modified, this end user couldn't answer, other than to quote to post count of the person they are trying to copy.

This is different from the person who already owns a copy of the gun in question, and is buying another one. In that case, I feel it is prudent to set up all of the guns the same.

thorm001
04-11-09, 09:35
The only thing I have added on my 3 Glocks (19, 26, 21SF) is night sights and extra mags.

HVYMTLMEC
04-11-09, 13:54
Welcome to the DARK side - A tactical slide release is a must have. The stock one is to flat. IMHO Oh and the more mags the better.

Enjoy!

murphy j
04-11-09, 17:58
If you are new to a particular type of gun, then I recommend you shoot it for a bit to get acquainted with it. Once that is done, then change anything you feel would help you.

I am new to the glock platform having only shot a G17 once before. 98% of my pistol shooting has been with a 1911(issued and personal) or an issued Beretta 92. The course of action you have laid out here is exactly what I intended. I will definitely be changing the sites in the near future, but other than that I don't know because I like to Keep It Simple. The main purpose of this thread has been to get feedback from other users of the platform in regards to what works for them and see what other mod options are possible should I find a particular feature, or ergonomic, lacking for my personal preferences. This pistol feels good in my hands and I believe I'm really going to like it. Thanks everbody for your responses and helpful information.

varoadking
04-11-09, 19:09
Some very good advice was given. Shoot the gun stock first, then decide what modifications it may need. I attend some informal shooting competitions and problaby 3/4 of the shooters use a Glock (usually 9 MM and .40 SW). I noticed that the majority of the shooters who have problems, modified the guns extensively (I'm a Firm believer in K.I.S.S. philosophy). Some good suggestions were given already, but other than changing the sights I would personally leave the gun alone.

I shoot and carry a Sig 226 9MM now, but for quite a while I shot only a G17. That pistol has easily had 100,000+ rounds through it (purchased it in 1990). Glocks are well made and reliable guns. The only precautions I would give are to stay clear of imported ammo, hard primers sometimes will not ignite with striker fired guns and for self-defense the slide is easily pushed-out of battery at contact distances.

G19 was an excellent choice, shorter guns seem to point better for me (23 vs 17).

Also, I spoke with Glock last month about my G17. I had the gun inspected at a GSSF shoot in NV and I was told the receiver had a hairline crack. The gunsmith I spoke with in GA told me that it may have resulted because I did not change the springs enough. Apparently, Glock is now recommending the replacement of the springs every 5,000 rounds. The reason cited was that this is a wear item and requires replacement. If the gun is going to be used recreationally, then it doesn't matter. If used for self-defense or duty use it may be a consideration. I myself, always have two identical guns for carry/ duty use. Practice/ train with one and carry the second after testing thoroughly (several thousand rounds).

Enjoy your Glock. I like to think of them as a good all around shooting tool. They are also great guns for teaching new shooters as well.

Regards,

SkiDevil
:)

What sort of extensive modifications are you referring to?

drsal
04-11-09, 19:13
Since when is buying a glock associated with the'Dark Side'...more like you have entered into the Light..:D

Beat Trash
04-11-09, 19:34
Since when is buying a glock associated with the'Dark Side'...more like you have entered into the Light..:D

Amen brother!

murphy j
04-11-09, 19:58

Tactical tupperware is EEEVVILL to the guys I typicaly shoot and hang with at my gunsmiths shop.:D

cathellsk
04-11-09, 20:06
Here's the link to the Vickers/TangoDown mag release. Now one of the first things I put in a new Glock.
http://tangodown.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=43&products_id=59

The 19 is my favorite pistol/Glock. I currently have three. All are set up the same.

1. Trijicon night sights (anythings better than stock!)
2. Vickers/TD mag release (smoother edges, slighty extended making it easier to use)
3. G17 smooth trigger/trigger bar (smoother, doesn't "chew" up my trigger finger as bad as the standard serrated version)
4. Plug (not necessary but honestly...I like the smoother look and it does keep out the elements, easy to remove to clean under if needed)

My $.02.....:)

ToddG
04-11-09, 20:07
I'm not a "Glock guy" but I'd add new sights (I'm personally fond of the Warrens) as a starting point. The factory plastic sights might as well just come in a little baggie, they're useless and fall off or break off far too often.

Depending on your hand size, you might benefit from a replacement mag catch. I'd recommend the Vickers, as many here have done. A distant second is the new midsize plastic one Glock is producing (which is coming to be called the "FBI" version for reasons you can probably figure out). I've seen the extended competition-length one from Glock give people problems more often than it fixed problems.

I'm personally a fan of the extended slide release (sorry Glock, "SLIDE STOP") but again that really has more to do with hand size and shooting style.

I'd also put a plug in my gun, though that is a topic that has risen to almost religious fervor here more than once.

murphy j
04-11-09, 21:14
Todd...I know you're a big fan of the M&P, but Thank You for your input. Incidently, I did spend a day at the range awhile back, with a friend who has an M&P .40, but just couldn't get comfortable with the pistol. I even looked at them when I was looking at the Glock, but the Glock just felt better and I decided to go with it.

Anybody have suggestions for a concealed carry holster? Recommendations for Both IWB and belt carry preferred. I find slip on paddle style holsters uncomfortable. Don't ask why, but I just can't get used to them.

BB01
04-11-09, 22:32
Anybody have suggestions for a concealed carry holster? Recommendations for Both IWB and belt carry preferred. I find slip on paddle style holsters uncomfortable. Don't ask why, but I just can't get used to them.

If you're willing to wait I like Kytac and Fin Designs. Kytac is a one man shop located in your home state, if that matters to you. The Kytac Braveheart is my favorite iwb.

If you need one fast Comp-tac.

http://www.findesigns.net/
http://www.kytac.com/
http://www.comp-tac.com/

murphy j
04-11-09, 23:00
If you're willing to wait I like Kytac and Fin Designs. Kytac is a one man shop located in your home state, if that matters to you. The Kytac Braveheart is my favorite iwb.

If you need one fast Comp-tac.

http://www.findesigns.net/
http://www.kytac.com/
http://www.comp-tac.com/

While I'm partial to leather, the Kytac Braveheart looks like a well thought out and interesting design. Thanks.

rat31465
04-12-09, 16:35
https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=53&pictureid=343

Hayduke
04-12-09, 21:02
just moved to a G19 for my CCW. picked up new with trijicon nights and 3 mags. was told to run it w/o cleaning until the copper grease turns black, a quick swab of the barrel would be fine but no full detail until then. also said they run better when not over-oiled. two drops on the slide and one on the barrel. finding similar info around the net, sound correct?

murphy j
04-12-09, 21:51
was told to run it w/o cleaning until the copper grease turns black, a quick swab of the barrel would be fine but no full detail until then. also said they run better when not over-oiled. two drops on the slide and one on the barrel. finding similar info around the net, sound correct?

I haven't heard this before, but can't say I know personally any Glock users. I did open the manual after reading your post and it says to field strip and clean before firing. It also has a nifty little diagram showing oiling points along with a section with print instructions on how to, but also says not to over-lubricate the pistol and where not to lubricate.

lindertw-I haven't even got a chance to shoot this yet and I've already got the itch:D. I'll be sure to follow up with a range report.

murphy j
04-26-09, 16:26
Well.....FINALLY I made it to the range to shoot my new G19. And I think I'm quite infatuated with it. I put around 300 rounds downrange, give or take a mag or two, and found I like this pistol. It will take some more getting used to, but was relatively easy to transition to the different grip cant. It was reliable and accurate with only one minor glitch in the beginning. I had a failure to extract within the first couple of magazines, but was smooth sailing the rest of the time. I did notice that I was shooting an inch or so to the left. I don't know if it's me or the gun, but it was consistent. I did find that the factory trigger is light enough for me because there were several times when I pulled off 2 or 3 rounds rapid fire trying to get used to the reset. As far as the serrated trigger goes, I'm going to run with it for awhile, but may end up switching it out to a smooth G17 trigger as it seemed to be roughing up my finger a bit. I also have a feeling that the slide release will be getting replaced with a tactical one, because I missed the stock one a couple of times, but we'll see. All in all a good day on the range shooting my G19 and my AR. I definately didn't want to leave, but was out of 55.6(didn't bring enough:() and was afraid I'd go through the whole ammo can of 9mm:D.

EzGoingKev
04-26-09, 19:46
I have a G17 and have Glock's extended mag & slide releases installed, Wolff recoil spring, stainless guide rod, Ti striker, and the trigger spring was changed.

It still has the original sights on it, I think I might put a Big Dot setup on it.

I have had it for years and never had any problems with it at all.

My next one is going to be a g23. I can get a .357 Sig barrel from Glock for $135 and then get a 9mm conversion barrel and some mags for it and shoot all three.

M4arc
04-26-09, 20:31
My next one is going to be a g23. I can get a .357 Sig barrel from Glock for $135 and then get a 9mm conversion barrel and some mags for it and shoot all three.

I would check with OMB Police Supply or keep an eye on the for sale forums over on Glocktalk for a G32 barrel. I paid $80 shipped for mine. Keep your eyes open and you can save some money...that you can then spend on ammo ;)

EzGoingKev
04-26-09, 22:14
I would check with OMB Police Supply or keep an eye on the for sale forums over on Glocktalk for a G32 barrel. I paid $80 shipped for mine. Keep your eyes open and you can save some money...that you can then spend on ammo ;)
Thanks, I will keep my eye open.

I was hoping that Glock would release a 23 with the 1913 rail like their g21SF but I was told their were no plans in the works.

JonInWA
04-27-09, 08:00
I'd just recommend a couple of things-

First, replace the polymer sights with steel/steel nightsights. I've had excellent success with Glock's steel replacement sights, Trijicons, and, on my latest Glock (a G34), Warren Tactical sights.

Second, I'd recommend replacing the standard flat slide stop with the Glock extended piece. It's inexpensive, relatively unobtrusive, and gives you the option of which technique to use in getting your Glock from slidelock into battery.

Third, in addition to doing a search on this forum (and on www.glocktalk.com, and in the Glock section on Brian Enos' website), I'd recommend getting a copy of Robin Taylor's "The Glock In Competition." It's excellent reading, with applicable information for both competition and real-world carry.

Fourth, if the grooved trigger irritates your trigger finger, replace it with a smooth trigger.

Regarding holsters, I'm very satisfied with Blade-Tech's IWB offerings. For an OWB, for starters, frankly, the Glock Sport/Combat holster is dirt cheap and quite functional.

Fifth-get ammunition, and practice-in training classes and competition.

Best, Jon (and congratulations!)

ROADKING
04-27-09, 20:23
Congrats on the g19 you will love it, I keep my glocks all stock they work great right out of the box, I have no need for night sites because i have a red dot on my AR so i will grab that in the night. Stock works.

M4arc
04-27-09, 20:43
Thanks, I will keep my eye open.

I was hoping that Glock would release a 23 with the 1913 rail like their g21SF but I was told their were no plans in the works.

Glock actually stopped making the G21SF with the 1913 rail and went with the standard Glock rail on on G21 models.

Fireglock
04-27-09, 23:00
If your Glock is a shooter then you might play with some of the options available like extended slide stop or extended mag release, but for a carry piece the best solution is to change out the sights and if you find it uncomfortable, the trigger. Just leave the rest alone. We shoot GSSF matches extensively and the big problem for most shooters is the extended slide stop, an errant thumb and the slide locks back, not something you want in a self-defense scenario. Under stress accidentally dropping the mag doesn't rate too high on the good thing list either.

Another change that isn't needed for a carry piece is the lighter (3.5) connector. On a competition gun it's fine, mine have it but in cold weather with fingers that aren't at their most flexible it's possible to light off a round before you're where you want it aimed, again, something you don't want in a self-defense scenario.
The plug is a solution looking for a problem but it shouldn't hurt anything either.

I've been shooting Glocks as my handgun exclusively since 1995. I have several, from the smallest to the largest and for a self-defense weapon they shine. Pull the trigger and they go bang, every time. But if you modify things and try to make it "better" you may well change that reliability. In competition my stock guns never screw up, even with the Glock extended mag release and Glock slide stop, they're stock. But with the Unlimited guns, with modified connectors, modified slides, modified triggers, firing pins and even slide locks that can't always be said.

As to sights I still prefer the Trijican night sights for carry but like has been said before, sights are a personal preference thing.

Good luck and enjoy your Glock.

SkiDevil
04-28-09, 02:52
Well.....FINALLY I made it to the range to shoot my new G19. And I think I'm quite infatuated with it. I put around 300 rounds downrange, give or take a mag or two, and found I like this pistol.

Just a suggestion. I too was having the problem of shooting left (with Glock pistols).

This problem typically will be magnified at distance. At 10-15 yards, I did'nt notice [shooting one large ragged hole], but at 25 or 30 yard targets I was shooting left. So, I would suggest trying to shoot your G-19 with the tip of your finger [there will be a small gap between the rest of your finger and the frame/ I would provide a photo but I am computer/ technically challenged].

I typically shoot a Sig, so when I shoot the smaller Glock. I have to mentally remind myself to use the end of my trigger finger with the Glock. After doing so at the suggestion of a shooting buddy, I saw a marked difference at 25-30 yards. My shots were well centered and in the 9 and 10 ring. Give it a try.

I can't recall if it was already mentioned. You should try to attend one of the GSSF shoots. They are fun and once you join, a certified Glock Armorer will examine and repair your Glock/s for free. -Such as replacing springs, rebuilding mags, diagnosing problems, etc. It is worth the $50.00 and you will meet a lot of really nice people there. Oh, and if you are not LE, then you can redeem a certificate to purchase 'one' Glock pistol (Standard 17, Compact 19, or Sub-Compact 26) at LE price just under $400.00.

RE: Trigger pull/ weight - after several thousand rounds the trigger pull will smooth-out. Several Glock Reps who have examined my Glocks have made mention of this too me.

P.S. Before you consider modify/ adjusting the sights, try to have a regular Glock shooter try the pistol first. There may be no problem with the sights.

And, if you are doing the same thing I was in shooting with the trigger between the first and second joint of your index finger. Shoot some groups at 25 yards and you will know. Because if this is the problem, then you groups will definitely be to the 'left'.

Enjoy your Glock.:)

SkiDevil

blackscot
04-28-09, 06:15
Another fan here, both of G19 and with the Warren night sights (although I've got the 2-dot setup). No other mods.

Carry in a FIST ultrathin kydex IWB with split-J belt loop.

Regular everyday CCW gun and monthly IDPA matches.

murphy j
04-28-09, 06:55
Just a suggestion. I too was having the problem of shooting left (with Glock pistols).

This problem typically will be magnified at distance. At 10-15 yards, I did'nt notice [shooting one large ragged hole], but at 25 or 30 yard targets I was shooting left. So, I would suggest trying to shoot your G-19 with the tip of your finger [there will be a small gap between the rest of your finger and the frame/ I would provide a photo but I am computer/ technically challenged].

I typically shoot a Sig, so when I shoot the smaller Glock. I have to mentally remind myself to use the end of my trigger finger with the Glock. After doing so at the suggestion of a shooting buddy, I saw a marked difference at 25-30 yards. My shots were well centered and in the 9 and 10 ring. Give it a try.

I can't recall if it was already mentioned. You should try to attend one of the GSSF shoots. They are fun and once you join, a certified Glock Armorer will examine and repair your Glock/s for free. -Such as replacing springs, rebuilding mags, diagnosing problems, etc. It is worth the $50.00 and you will meet a lot of really nice people there. Oh, and if you are not LE, then you can redeem a certificate to purchase 'one' Glock pistol (Standard 17, Compact 19, or Sub-Compact 26) at LE price just under $400.00.

RE: Trigger pull/ weight - after several thousand rounds the trigger pull will smooth-out. Several Glock Reps who have examined my Glocks have made mention of this too me.

P.S. Before you consider modify/ adjusting the sights, try to have a regular Glock shooter try the pistol first. There may be no problem with the sights.

And, if you are doing the same thing I was in shooting with the trigger between the first and second joint of your index finger. Shoot some groups at 25 yards and you will know. Because if this is the problem, then you groups will definitely be to the 'left'.

Enjoy your Glock.:)

SkiDevil

I was shooting at 15 and was using the tip of my finger. I personally think I'm doing what's called a controlled mash, but want to get more trigger time to be for sure. I typically shoot at shorter distances with a pistol, because I'm not that good and don't get to shoot often. I've found that when I shoot at the longer distances I start getting a little frustrated because my target looks like a shotgun blast.

ToddG
04-28-09, 07:54
I've found that when I shoot at the longer distances I start getting a little frustrated because my target looks like a shotgun blast.

I'm a fairly competent shooter and get 50,000+ rounds down range each year. Depending on distance, target size, speed, and other circumstances, my target at longer distances can look like a shotgun blast, too.

Don't get frustrated by how you're doing today. Only get frustrated if you are still shooting that way after you've spent time & effort practicing. If you don't see improvement then you're doing something wrong. But you need to accept that, at the starting point, you've got a lot to learn and a lot of skills to refine.

SkiDevil
04-28-09, 13:40
I was shooting at 15 and was using the tip of my finger. I personally think I'm doing what's called a controlled mash, but want to get more trigger time to be for sure. I typically shoot at shorter distances with a pistol, because I'm not that good and don't get to shoot often. I've found that when I shoot at the longer distances I start getting a little frustrated because my target looks like a shotgun blast.

Yes, Todd is right.

You shouldn't get discouraged. We all can have a bad day at the range. Shooting any pistol is one of the most difficult firearms to master.

About a year ago, I was reading a piece that Mr. Louis Awerbuck wrote regarding practice. He basically said (paraphrase), that it is more important HOW you practice and not how many rounds you fire [QUALITY IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN QUANTITY]. If you have difficulty shooting at distance. Then try starting-off with 25-50 rounds a practice session at 20 0r 25 yards and slowly progress.

One of my greatest weaknesses in shooting a handgun was weak-side only (left-handed shooting) and especially at greater distances (at 25 yards some of my shots did not even hit the target). I overcame the problem by practicing shooting many hours with my weak-side only.

Lastly, as for shooting at distance. You would be surprised at how far away you can hit targets with a pistol. One of my best friends and I used to shoot at steel plates on the rifle range with our pistols (allowed at that facility) and regularly hit 8" plates off-hand with iron-sighted pistols. The skill came in handy for him one night when he was taking fire from a suspect.

For a great piece on the subject get a copy of Chuck Taylor's COMBAT HANDGUNNERY (see link). -A lot of good information on using a handgun.
http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Digest-Book-Combat-Handgunnery/dp/0873491866

And consider training taking a class. I am no expert, but I am sure Todd or a few of the others on this forum can make some good recommendations. On the West Coast, I know a lot of guys who were trained by ITTS (Scotty Reitz) and spoke quite highly of him. I will be taking some classes there this year myself.

Keep practicing.:)

Regards,
SkiDevil

G34Shooter
04-29-09, 10:21

Fireglock, did you or do you live in the Tampa area? Because I remember meeting you in the early 2000's and you had a tricked out Glock that made me drool :cool:

Fireglock
04-29-09, 10:40
Yep, still there. :)

G34Shooter
04-29-09, 10:42
Yep, still there. :)

You were one of the reasons I decided to give Glock a fair shot and after I did, I tossed my problematic USP .40 :D This was back in 2000 or 2001 :o

Sorry for getting off topic

Fireglock
04-29-09, 14:11
You were one of the reasons I decided to give Glock a fair shot and after I did, I tossed my problematic USP .40 :D This was back in 2000 or 2001 :o

Sorry for getting off topic

I hope that means I was a help.

G34Shooter
04-29-09, 14:42
I hope that means I was a help.

Big time :D

murphy j
04-29-09, 18:55
There is good news, you can eliminate the "Glock finger" at home with dry firing. As a matter of fact it's the best way to beat it. No mags, no ammo and find a spot where you can aim at something fixed. All you do is follow through and when you pull the trigger you don't want your sight picture to change. With a Glock it takes about .25" of slide movement to reset and try it again. A couple of hours will improve your shooting immensely.

Dry fire, huh? I wasn't sure if that was bad for a striker fired pistol or not, so I've been leery of doing it. I'll give it a try, Thanks.

Fireglock
04-29-09, 20:41
You can dry fire a Glock all you want. :)

Mark/MO
04-29-09, 21:18
As several have said these things can mutiply if your not careful. I now have 2 G19's, a 2nd gen and a new 3rd gen. The only complaint I have is the factory plastic sights. I'm thinking about getting either Heinie or Sevigny sights. Otherwise I think their great, at least they are for me.

sgtrock82
05-01-09, 17:02
I've always been a loyal 1911 guy and currently own 2 custom built ones, but it's gotten expensive to shoot .45 and damn near impossible to find. Not to mention I've been getting kinda bored with the platform. So I'd recently been contemplating moving to a different caliber and platform, but hadn't settled on anything definite, but was leaning towards 9mm. I went to the Wannenmacher Arms Show in Tulsa last weekend and lo and behold, one of the dealers I've had business with in the past and I see at shows often had just gotten in a small shipment of Glocks in .40 and 9mm. They had two G19s and on impulse I worked a trade for one. I gave them an older, abused and rarely cleaned till I got ahold of it, 20" Bushmaster A3 and I got a BNIB G19 and $350. I also got a thousand round of BVAC 9mm ball and a box of 50 Speer Gold Dot 124gr +p. Now, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to Glocks and what 'upgrades' can be done to them. I know I need to shoot the bejeezus out of it, but what else? I'm definitely going to replace the factory sights and am leaning toward the Warrens or Heinie straight eights. What other basic and inexpensive suggestions do you Glock guys have?

I just went to the Dark Side as well, its pretty bright over here actually. I traded in my beloved Sig 228 and picked a Glock 19 and after the range session this morning I am not looking back. I loved the Sig at first, but as I got to be a better pistol shot (don't get me wrong I am still not that great) I found myself using a higher more agressive grip and couldn't get my thumb out of the way of the slide catch preventing it from locking open when empty. It was so frustrating and took a while for me to figure out. I thought my ammo was bad or mags shit the bed, but it was me not getting along with the controls. So I got rid of the levers (which I still try to decock after chambering a round) increased capacity, it is much lighter and best of all I seem to shoot much better with it, if this morning is any indication. I just need a couple more mags and get some sights and I'll be golden.

Would you like to have another glass of Kool-Aide?

Sure, I take mine on the rocks and keep 'em coming... I'll be here a while.

blackscot
05-04-09, 06:41
........I loved the Sig at first, but .....found myself using a higher more agressive grip and couldn't get my thumb out of the way of the slide catch preventing it from locking open when empty........

As doubtless many others, I too have had this problem with certain designs, in my case a Beretta Vertec and an H&K P30. Both have relatively long and wide slide-locking levers, which is great when you want to quickly release the slide from the locked position, but have the drawback of riding under the weak-hand thumb of some shooters using a thumbs-forward grip. I was weaned on the latter, starting out in the early 90's as a 1911 shooter, and cannot/will never adopt a thumbs-down grip (except for shooting revolvers).

Conversely to the above, releasing the slide from the locked position can be more difficult with Glocks than many other designs. My hands are small enough that I have to shift my grip for my thumb to reach the very minimal lever. I also have to do this to reach the mag-release catch anyway, so am already pre-positioned for the slide release. I never had this issue with my 1911's, but that design is too big and heavy for me personally as an everyday carry gun (which my G19 is).

Lastly, my G19 will sometimes go slide forward by itself upon seating the fresh mag. Not always -- so I have to always be ready to release it -- but at least half the time if not more. Nice when it does, but I can't count on it, and never understood why/how it happens. Does anyone else have this happen, and/or understand it?

ToddG
05-04-09, 07:07
It's very easy to shoot a SIG (or Beretta or HK) with a thumbs-forward grip without riding the slide release lever. It doesn't require you to revert to an old fashioned "thumb over thumb" grip.

Just remember that these guns aren't 1911's and you do not need to ride the (non-existent) safety lever. Just angle your strong hand thumb outward by a fraction of an inch.

blackscot
05-04-09, 09:48
It's very easy to shoot a SIG (or Beretta or HK) with a thumbs-forward grip without riding the slide release lever. It doesn't require you to revert to an old fashioned "thumb over thumb" grip.

Just remember that these guns aren't 1911's and you do not need to ride the (non-existent) safety lever. Just angle your strong hand thumb outward by a fraction of an inch.

I realized that, and tried it, but maintaining an adequate gap between the thumb and the side of the gun became difficult after the first couple of shots. The weak-hand thumb needed to be kept at about an 11-o-clock position. Maybe this would have eventually become natural with persistent training. I switch instead to the G19.

mattjmcd
05-04-09, 11:12
Big +1 on the Vickers mag release.

You won't regret it.

IMHO the best mod to make on any Glock. This is the worst design feature of the Glock line of handguns. I cannot fathom how it's gone this long without being addressed by the designers at the factory.

ToddG
05-04-09, 16:30
I realized that, and tried it, but maintaining an adequate gap between the thumb and the side of the gun became difficult after the first couple of shots. The weak-hand thumb needed to be kept at about an 11-o-clock position. Maybe this would have eventually become natural with persistent training. I switch instead to the G19.

Hmmm ... I'd have to see you shoot it to understand the issue. Not saying it didn't happen, and neither am I saying you're in bad shape with a G19, of course.

blackscot
05-05-09, 06:05
Hmmm ... I'd have to see you shoot it to understand the issue.....

Probably a result of the +decade of shooting 1911's and not having to worry about it -- old habits die hard. Someone starting out on the Beretta or H&K P30 might not have the same problem.

Ironically, I could probably shoot better with the Beretta (mine was a Vertec -- hands are too small for the regular model) than anything else I've ever shot. Nearly zero recoil/muzzel lift. Just never got past those hiccups that would keep happening from ending up with a slide-forward gun on empty. The G19 may be easy to carry (and always slide locks), but also more of a challenge for fast accurate fire.

I'm going to check-out that Vickers mag catch for it though.