PDA

View Full Version : Speer Short Barrel 230gr. .45ACP performance

CQC.45
04-11-09, 09:02
I have been intrigued by Speer's lineup of "Short Barrel" ammunition for quite some time now. Obviously, its a good move on their part as may who carry CCWs do not carry fullsize pistols. However, I always wondered how much more effective the Short Barrel ammo was in comparison to normal GDs through short barrels. By my logic, there is probably no greater test than their .45 ACP variant, as the caliber itself tends to prefer longer barrel lengths. So my question to Dr. Roberts or anyone else is has there been any testing on the Short Barrel .45ACP 230gr. load out of sub 4" barrels, and if so, how did it perform? Thanks.

DocGKR
04-11-09, 12:27
We have not tested the Speer Short Barrel loads, as no agencies in this area use those loads. In general, most of our testing is done with 4" barrels, so +/- 0.5" either way will not have much of an effect on terminal performance. With 1911 format pistols, the sub 4" barrel models are not generally as reliable as the standard 5" models. If someone wants a 3-4" barrel CCW pistol, most folks are better off with one in 9 mm or maybe .40 S&W.

CQC.45
04-12-09, 08:59
If someone wants a 3-4" barrel CCW pistol, most folks are better off with one in 9 mm or maybe .40 S&W.

Right, I realize this. I was just theorizing that a test of their 45 Short barrel load (compared to other calibers that they offer in "short barrel" form) would be the toughest to make work out of a short barrel and therefore the "ultimate" test of their short barrel effectiveness. On a side note, does anyone know what actually differs between their short barrel loads and standard gold dot. Im assuming higher velocity, but I wonder if the bullet itself is any different.