PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about J-Frames

decodeddiesel
04-11-09, 22:08
So my wife is in need of a CCW and I am looking for a good BUG. I have always loved the old S&W Model 36s and am fascinated by the modern j-frames S&W is offering. My wife and I saw a few different models today, a couple 442s, a 637, and a 638. Honestly I am a little overwhelmed by all of the choices.

I know we want CTC grips on the thing, and frankly I don't even know which model of those we want. I don't think I need (or want to pay for) a scandium frame .357. I just don't see ever firing .357 out of such a small gun, I think it will be limited to .38 +Ps tops. I like how the 442 is no snag, but I think my wife would like the ability to fire single action as well. Is the DA pull on any model better than another? We couldn't dry fire the weapons at the shop we were at "for safety reasons" :rolleyes: so I really didn't get to feel the triggers of the various weapons.

The only j-frames I have ever fired is an old 36 which had a very smooth and sweet trigger in DA and a crisp SA trigger. It was a really old gun though and probably not indicative of a modern offering.

So what are everyone's thoughts?

NoBody
04-11-09, 22:11
Deleted.

Blinking Dog
04-11-09, 22:15
S&W 638 (Body Guard) model is your choice then.

What about the 642 w/CT laser grips. I have been considering that one. A friend carriers a 642 w/o CT (althought I think wishes he had them) and thinks very highly of it. Your thoughts?

VooDoo6Actual
04-11-09, 22:20
easy day.

I use them as BUGs and have for years.

I like and own a 649 and 640.

The tactics evovle as the mission evolves/changes...

I like S&W "6" series because they are "SS" and because I carry them close they are prone to precipitation from proximity to the body. Maintainence is assuredly easier.

Secondly decide if you want DA or SA/DA.

I do like the ability to cock hammer at times.

You can get a .357 and easily and accurately shoot .38 from it as a consideration.
If the .357 has too much "wallup" for the lady then tame it down w/ .38.

Both are excellent platforms
HTH YMMV...

John_Wayne777
04-11-09, 22:45
I know we want CTC grips on the thing, and frankly I don't even know which model of those we want.

The LG-405 is the most compact and has some nice cushioning built right into the grip to help with recoil. They are the best of the CT offerings, IMO.

The LG-305 makes the weapon more comfortable to shoot (larger grips generally help the shootability of the J frame considerably) but also makes it more difficult to conceal.

I use the LG-105 on my 442. Compact and cheaper than the other options, but also not as comfortable to shoot as the other options.

For a concealed carry piece I would suggest sticking to the 105 or the 405, with a strong preference for teh 405 if you can afford it.

I don't think I need (or want to pay for) a scandium frame .357.

A wise choice...as the .357 loads in these revolvers don't buy you any additional performance. Just more blast, recoil, and general unpleasantness. Personally I think the aluminum framed revolvers are plenty light enough for any reasonable purpose.

I just don't see ever firing .357 out of such a small gun, I think it will be limited to .38 +Ps tops.

As far as I know there is no .357 load that can beat the performance of the Speer 135 grain +P .38 spl Gold Dot load from a J frame.

I like how the 442 is no snag, but I think my wife would like the ability to fire single action as well. Is the DA pull on any model better than another?

The trigger varies a bit from sample to sample, but in general the triggers on J frames are all heavy. They can be mastered, but it takes quite a bit of practice...which can be decidedly unpleasant with some of the super-light guns. The J frame is one of the most difficult handguns to shoot well if for no other reason than physics. You've got a weapon that weighs about a pound and yet has a 12-15 pound trigger.

Still, there's no better combination of power, reliability, and concealability...and that's why we all carry them.

The 638 is a good option, as long as it doesn't turn into a single action gun on the range. Most practice should be done with the trigger you're going to use in a real fight, namely the DA trigger. The ability to cock if you need/want to is certainly nice.

We couldn't dry fire the weapons at the shop we were at "for safety reasons" :rolleyes: so I really didn't get to feel the triggers of the various weapons.

That shop sucks.

The only j-frames I have ever fired is an old 36 which had a very smooth and sweet trigger in DA and a crisp SA trigger. It was a really old gun though and probably not indicative of a modern offering.

Trigger impressions are highly subjective, so it's difficult to offer input here. The only way to judge the trigger on the guns is to pull the trigger. If a shop is so uptight that they can't handle a couple of dryfires on a production gun (I could understand this policy if it was some rare expensive collector piece...not on a modern production J frame) then find somewhere else to buy, in my opinion.

One thing I think you should give careful consideration to:

The reason for the J frame's popularity as a carry gun is the superb reliability they offered for such a long time. S&W f**ked all that up by installing those idiot locks in their revolvers.

There are documented instances of those locks spontaneously engaging under recoil, especially in J frames using +P ammo. This means you pull the trigger, the gun fires, and then the action locks up like Obama without a teleprompter.

Not cool. Still, it's not a reason to avoid the J frame. S&W actually produced a run of lock-less 642's and 442's. If you would prefer the 638, then buy one...just remove the idiot lock. It's pretty easy to do.

trio
04-11-09, 23:10
my wife carries an older 442 w/ crimson trace grips

i had a local smith (Sam Hatfield) do a trigger job on her gun and put the lighter S&W springs in it and it made a world of difference....its really nice....

i understand the desire to hammer back somewhat, but I am a pretty big believer in carry and train how you are going to fight, and the fact of the matter is the most important shot your wife will ever take (and hopefully will never take) is going to be in DA...

i've had this argument with fans of DA/SA autos that say they never shoot in DA because if they need the gun they will just "hammer back"....i think thats a crock of shit that could easily get you killed at the wrong moment

soooo....I think the 442/642 is the best choice...and get her used to the DA....but the 638 is a great gun too....just make sure she practice, practice, practices with that first (and probably subsequent) shots in DA

David Thomas
04-11-09, 23:11
S&W actually produced a run of lock-less 642's and 442's.

In addition to no-lock 642's and 442's, S&W also made no lock model 37's and 40-1's. The 37's are hard to find, but still out there. 442's and 40-1's should be easy to find.

The CT grip I like on the J-Frame is the 105.

decodeddiesel
04-12-09, 00:42
Wow thanks everyone for the input.

JW777 thanks for the detailed explanation of the J-frames and the CTC grips, that really helps a lot. Yes that store does suck, and their prices are high, but they're really the only place locally that has any j-frames in stock. I won't be buying from them though, I'll probably find some place online which has the pistol I want.

trio, I like the idea of sticking with a 642 or 442 as it will force us to become proficient on the weapon.

SeriousStudent
04-12-09, 01:43
I keep coming back to a 642, over and over....... I tote that little bugger more than anything. I work in an area where I would be fired, keel-hauled, and torn asunder by wild dogs if found with a weapon. So a J-frame usually gets the nod.

May I be so bold as to suggest a pair of guns? Perhaps a Model 60, to practice with so as to avoid creating a flinch, or a visit from El Snatcho? I have a nice old Model 60-1, two-inch barrel, in .357 magnum. With some light handloads, it is not at all difficult to practice with. It has an old Bianchi "Lightning" grip in it, that I scored off fleabay for about 10 bucks. It allows for a single-action carry, similiar to the 638. It's definitely heavier than the 642, and usually ends up in a parka pocket in the winter time. It rides well in a Galco horsehide pocket holster.

Its use also eases the wear and tear on the aluminum-framed 642. Plus it has much better sights. I hope your better half has good eyesight, as the sights on most older J-frames are marginal at best.

BTW - they are reintroducing the old Nyclad load. Great for practice, and the dead-soft lead seemed to expand even at the slow velocities. I am sure LtCmdr Roberts could provide some wisdom on that load, if you asked him politely.

I usually carry the Speer Gold Dots specifically designed for short barrels in my J-frames.

Best of luck to you both, and thank you for your service to our country.

RadioActivity
04-12-09, 02:14
Just keep in mind, and I don't mean to preach...a J frame may be, say, less intuitive to shoot than a slightly larger firearm. Encourage her to practice. She might be more inclined to shoot more often and longer sessions if she was using something like a G26 or Springfield EMP ect. While nothing really does disappear for concealment like a J frame, I find it hard to believe most people train with them as much as they should. I think a lot of people, especially women, are baited by how small and easy to carry it is and make up their mind on that alone.

While getting her to carry a gun might be half the battle (as with most people) the other half is what counts......how well they shoot it.

That said...I just recently plunked down the change on a S&W M&P340. :p. It has its purpose and its place, but I will always shoot my Springer EMP better.

John_Wayne777
04-12-09, 08:59
Just keep in mind, and I don't mean to preach...a J frame may be, say, less intuitive to shoot than a slightly larger firearm. Encourage her to practice. She might be more inclined to shoot more often and longer sessions if she was using something like a G26 or Springfield EMP ect. While nothing really does disappear for concealment like a J frame, I find it hard to believe most people train with them as much as they should. I think a lot of people, especially women, are baited by how small and easy to carry it is and make up their mind on that alone.

Indeed. They certainly fall into that "Carried often, shot little" category. The J frame is, in my opinion, one of the most difficult handguns to master. It takes lots of practice to learn to use well. Many female shooters are intimidated by the recoil and don't shoot them. Heck, many MALE shooters are intimidated by the recoil and don't shoot them. The earlier suggestion of a similar steel revolver used for practice might be a good idea.

CT grips, believe it or not, add to the shootability of the J frame considerably.

Powder_Burn
04-12-09, 09:49
I don't think I need (or want to pay for) a scandium frame .357. I just don't see ever firing .357 out of such a small gun

I've carried a scandium J-frame for several years and use the short barrel Gold Dot loads in .357. Full power .357's are punishing but the short barrel load from Speer doesn't feel much different from .38 Spc +P when shot from the same cylinder back to back. The question is whether or not the extra 130fps and 72 fpe matter in the real world and if it is worth the marginal increase in recoil. The bullet in both these loads is identical.

.38 Special +P 135gr GDHP-SB (2" test barrel)
Muzzle Velocity: 860
Muzzle Energy: 222

.357 Magnum 135gr GDHP-SB (2" test barrel)
Muzzle Velocity: 990
Muzzle Energy: 294

decodeddiesel
04-12-09, 10:59

While getting her to carry a gun might be half the battle (as with most people) the other half is what counts......how well they shoot it.

That said...I just recently plunked down the change on a S&W M&P340. :p. It has its purpose and its place, but I will always shoot my Springer EMP better.

We also have an M&P9c and a .380ACP PPK, both of which she shoots well. The J-frame is more of a deep concealment/BUG/Purse gun role.

RWK
04-12-09, 13:04
So my wife is in need of a CCW and I am looking for a good BUG. I have always loved the old S&W Model 36s and am fascinated by the modern j-frames S&W is offering. My wife and I saw a few different models today, a couple 442s, a 637, and a 638. Honestly I am a little overwhelmed by all of the choices.

I know we want CTC grips on the thing, and frankly I don't even know which model of those we want. I don't think I need (or want to pay for) a scandium frame .357. I just don't see ever firing .357 out of such a small gun, I think it will be limited to .38 +Ps tops. I like how the 442 is no snag, but I think my wife would like the ability to fire single action as well. Is the DA pull on any model better than another? We couldn't dry fire the weapons at the shop we were at "for safety reasons" :rolleyes: so I really didn't get to feel the triggers of the various weapons.

I prefer the M&P 340 due to the light weight and XS Big Dot front sight. It's chambered for .357 but, I don't run anything other than .38 +P through it. If the M&P 340 is out of your price range, I recommend the 642.

The Corbon DPX 110-gr +P load is more manageable than the Speer 135-gr +P. It's expensive but, you don't have to buy that much of it.

The trigger can be smoothed quite a bit by swapping the factory hammer spring and rebound spring with reduced power springs. You can get aftermarket springs from Wolff (www.gunsprings.com (http://www.gunsprings.com)). You can also send it to the S&W Performance Center and have their J-frame package done to it.

I don't recommend an exposed hammer if the gun will be in a pocket, purse, etc. Too much stuff to get hung up on. I question the utility of single-action fire using a J-frame, anyway.

I prefer the LG-405 laser grips. The recoil-absorbing pocket really does work.

decodeddiesel
04-12-09, 13:54
So right now I am leaning towards a 442 or 642 with the CTC 405 grips and a trigger job. OK, well at least I have a much better handle on things compared to when I started.

MAUSER202
04-12-09, 13:58
I have a 442 in nickle finish, it is a good ccw gun. I think the trigger on mine is fine. I shoot fairly well with it at <7yds, 4" groups or less one handed. I am at least the 3rd owner of this gun it may have had a trigger job with a previous owner as the trigger feels a little lighter than my other J frames.

I agree with the post that a single action cocking option is not that important for these pistols intended use.
I use the federal +p hydro shock load for carry.

MarkC
04-12-09, 14:21
So my wife is in need of a CCW

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=14753&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15704&isFirearm=Y

I own the following gun. It's a 3" but it comes in a 2/14 version. Trigger is nice--not quite as nice as the S&W small frames but almost and I liked the overall feel of the gun better.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=5719&return=Y

decodeddiesel
04-12-09, 14:24
easy day.

I use them as BUGs and have for years.

I like and own a 649 and 640.

The tactics evovle as the mission evolves/changes...

I like S&W "6" series because they are "SS" and because I carry them close they are prone to precipitation from proximity to the body. Maintainence is assuredly easier.

Secondly decide if you want DA or SA/DA.

I do like the ability to cock hammer at times.

You can get a .357 and easily and accurately shoot .38 from it as a consideration.
If the .357 has too much "wallup" for the lady then tame it down w/ .38.

Both are excellent platforms
HTH YMMV...

Interesting I hadn't thought about the all steel 2" guns... That is definitely something to think about.

tpd223
04-13-09, 00:43
I prefer the 642 to the 638 style guns as the hammer shroud cab gather link, which can be a problem to get cleaned out.

Awhile back I sold a .38spec (pre magnum) 640 to a friend for his wife, she was recoil shy and the steel frame gun works well for her.

f.2
04-14-09, 03:36
This has helped my J frame shooting:

Revolver Grip (http://www.shootingusa.com/PRO_TIPS/MICULEK2/miculek2.html), PRO TIPS with JERRY MICULEK, shootingusa.com

I also saw a gun rag article on Deputy Sheriff Jack Weaver and his hands were so big that he had to wrap his support hand thumb over his strong hand also for full sized revolvers.

Dan Goodwin
04-14-09, 07:42

Not clear whether you are getting one revolver or one for each of y'all? I'm assuming one each.

Sounds like you like the older all steel 36, and further down you like the idea of an all steel handgun, so get two of those.

Have your 36's hammer bobbed like Bill Jordan's in No Second Place Winner. Leave the hammer on hers. Shoot wadcutter ammo for defense (See DocGKR's thoughts on this load) and training. Get the CTCs on both.

But a G26 each also has much to recommend it.

My EDC is a G27 with G23 mag reload, and a 442 loaded with wadcutters + SpeedStrip full of Remington GS +Ps because they reload faster.

decodeddiesel
04-14-09, 09:03
Not clear whether you are getting one revolver or one for each of y'all? I'm assuming one each.

Sounds like you like the older all steel 36, and further down you like the idea of an all steel handgun, so get two of those.

Have your 36's hammer bobbed like Bill Jordan's in No Second Place Winner. Leave the hammer on hers. Shoot wadcutter ammo for defense (See DocGKR's thoughts on this load) and training. Get the CTCs on both.

But a G26 each also has much to recommend it.

My EDC is a G27 with G23 mag reload, and a 442 loaded with wadcutters + SpeedStrip full of Remington GS +Ps because they reload faster.

Sorry it was unclear. I already have an M&P9c which is my EDC. I am looking to purchase ONE revolver. It will primarily be for my wife to carry as a purse gun with the secondary role of a BUG for me if I am carrying my 1911 or something and I feel I need a back-up. In which case my wife will use the M&P9c.

I know already I will be firing the Speer 135gr +P Gold Dot for short barrels as my primary defensive round. The LSWCHP not a good performer once it passes through any clothing. Trust me I have researched the piss out of the ammo side of things so that's a non-issue.

While I love the old model 36s and the idea of a steel gun sounds very nice on the range, I am leaning towards an Airweight frame for this piece. Yes I know it will be more difficult to shoot, but it will be easier to carry which is really what this gun is all about.

Thanks for the reply. :)

gtmtnbiker98
04-14-09, 19:13
Sorry it was unclear. I already have an M&P9c which is my EDC. I am looking to purchase ONE revolver. It will primarily be for my wife to carry as a purse gun with the secondary role of a BUG for me if I am carrying my 1911 or something and I feel I need a back-up. In which case my wife will use the M&P9c.

I know already I will be firing the Speer 135gr +P Gold Dot for short barrels as my primary defensive round. The LSWCHP not a good performer once it passes through any clothing. Trust me I have researched the piss out of the ammo side of things so that's a non-issue.

While I love the old model 36s and the idea of a steel gun sounds very nice on the range, I am leaning towards an Airweight frame for this piece. Yes I know it will be more difficult to shoot, but it will be easier to carry which is really what this gun is all about.

Thanks for the reply. :)May I highly recommend the MP340? I know you mentioned not shooting .357, but the XS big dot night sight and the light weight is well worth the added cost. Plus, the Scandium alloy is stronger than the standard Air Weights.

blackscot
04-15-09, 10:55
For the past couple of summers I've used an all-stainless 640 Centennial as my everyday carry. I only shoot +P (Gold Dot) through it, which the heavier all-steel construction makes pretty much manageable.

Also, I don't need light alloy because I don't pocket carry. I'm a bit on the lean side, so even a small pocket gun sticks out like a goiter (uncomfortable too). Instead, I installed a Barami hip grip (see: http://www.baramihipgrip.com/ ), which provides for belt/waistband carry without the bulk of a holster. I carry in the front "appendix" position, which just the tail of a t-shirt conceals effectively.

For added shootability, I also added the Tyler t-grip (see: http://www.t-grips.com/ ), which improves a lot over the hip grip alone without adding any significant bulk. It's not exactly visually appealing tacti-cool, just works really well for its size.

This will be my third upcoming season using this set-up full-time. I think I've finally found a solution to concealment in hot/humid weather.

Fringe
04-15-09, 13:50
I hear the love for the S&W 36. I just found an unfired one from 81 that is pristine. Liked it so much, but don't want to shot it so I am looking to get a used one. The gun just feels and looks so good.

DacoRoman
04-15-09, 20:19
I have a 638 that I really like, and which I use as a CCW around 30 % of the time. Firing standard pressure rounds is initially not uncomfortable, but after 50 or more rounds I do start to feel the sting in the web of my hand. The 135 grain +p Speer Gold Dots designed for a short barrel are fairly controllable but do become uncomfortable to shoot after 15-20 or so. I can't even begin to imagine the hell unleashed on one's hand if one fired full house .357 magnum rounds out of a scandium .357 mag J frame with a stock grip. And I am not recoil adverse as I have shot copious amounts of full house .357 and .44 magnum out of S&W revolvers and my Redhawk.

The lint issue in the hammer well hasn't been an issue for me but then again I keep my pockets clean, I usually carry IWB, and if I notice any lint in there I simply swab out the rear of the hammer inside the hammer well.

As I think others have mentioned there have been documented cases of bullet/case separation with light .357 bullets out of the scandiums that have caused the cylinder to jam. Others have reported that the internal lock has also been activated in the scandiums due to the recoil. I've read these reports on the internet, so who knows, but it is not unreasonable to see how it could perhaps happen, especially regarding the bullet/case separation.

Oh, and Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVPYgohVCNM&feature=related) is an excellent video regarding the workings of the internal S&W lock.

tpd223
04-15-09, 20:43
"I can't even begin to imagine the hell unleashed on one's hand if one fired full house .357 magnum rounds out of a scandium .357 mag J frame with a stock grip."

I'll save you the trouble of buying the gun to find out, here's how;

Find a cop friend, hold out your hand palm up as though you were waiting for someone to give you five, have cop friend do a full power baton strike to the palm of your hand.

That's basically what it's like.

VooDoo6Actual
04-15-09, 21:09
LMAO...

DacoRoman
04-15-09, 21:33
Find a cop friend, hold out your hand palm up as though you were waiting for someone to give you five, have cop friend do a full power baton strike to the palm of your hand.

..Male or Female Cop?

:D
awesome response, I think I've got it, and that's pretty much how I imagined it :(

tpd223
04-15-09, 21:54
You would not want to take a hit from some of the gals I work with.

DacoRoman
04-15-09, 21:59
You would not want to take a hit from some of the gals I work with.

....yikes, yeah, I'm thinking acromegaly :D

ccoker
04-16-09, 09:05
I have two J frames
a 642 and an older model 60 all steel DAO with an exposed bobless hammer
I bought the latter used and it had a very nice trigger for a DAO

the 642 with the standard boot grips is NOT a beginner gun
the older 3" steel is much easier to shoot accurately, it also has Uncle Mike COmbat rubber grips which are 3 finger

I worked the action a bunch with my 642 with some valve grinding compound and then flushed it all out, and clipped a tiny bit off the main grip spring, and put the 3finger grip from the 60
I was a lot more accurate with it

the 3 finger rubber grip made a huge differnece as well as a lighter trigger pull

if it's not for pocket carry I would suggest buying the 642 with the 305 laser grip already installed, cheaper that way, at least it was

for ammo, the 135g +p Speer short barrel is probably the best out there

Reddevil
04-17-09, 20:22
I know the J frame appears to be the perfect handgun for a female, but I find it to be the exact opposite. The J frame really takes getting used to and isn't really a novice firearm. I have seen quite a few woman at the range shooting a J frame after the salesman recommended it to them. Most refuse to shoot it after a cylinder. My wife was the same way. I see many men shoot like $hit at 10 feet away on the range as well. My wife loved my Ruger SP101 and could shoot .38 w/o a problem. My M&P 340 is a bear to shoot, but with the Hogue Monogrip, it tames .357 to that of 38 +p. Shooting my M&P weekly has actually improved my shooting with my duty SIG P229 to the point that my quarterly qualification scores are almost perfect vs. 20 points under max just 4 months ago.

User Name
04-17-09, 21:36
I consider light weight J frames a advanced weapon. It has recoil that would or could create problems with a new shooter particularly with +p fodder. I would assume that your wife is not an avid shooter. Due to it's limited capacity and the difficulty reloading it quickly it is a make every bullet count kind of firearm. Snubbies require a lot of practice to become proficient with. J frames in .357 are a weapon I doubt very few people can master or would care to put the time into to do so. I would put them in the "not needed" catalog. It will beat you up. So will hot .38 loads. I have a J frame in my pocket right now. I really like them and carry one every waking moment of the day. Though primarily as a back up to a larger capacity weapon. I REALLY HATE to see people pick out a J frame or other diminutive weapons for a woman. For the reasons I stated above.

decodeddiesel
04-17-09, 22:57
I consider light weight J frames a advanced weapon. It has recoil that would or could create problems with a new shooter particularly with +p fodder. I would assume that your wife is not an avid shooter. Due to it's limited capacity and the difficulty reloading it quickly it is a make every bullet count kind of firearm. Snubbies require a lot of practice to become proficient with. J frames in .357 are a weapon I doubt very few people can master or would care to put the time into to do so. I would put them in the "not needed" catalog. It will beat you up. So will hot .38 loads. I have a J frame in my pocket right now. I really like them and carry one every waking moment of the day. Though primarily as a back up to a larger capacity weapon. I REALLY HATE to see people pick out a J frame or other diminutive weapons for a woman. For the reasons I stated above.

I don't know why you would assume that? Is there something I said in any of my posts on the subject which would give that impression? If so I apologize because that is certianly not the case.

Currently my wife is not shooting due to her pregnancy, but she is a VERY avid shooter and a very fast learner. She usually won't let me go to the range alone and will frequently fire 200+ rounds of .45ACP out of my 1911 with nothing more than a smile and a "did we bring more ammo?" In terms of heavy recoiling weapons she has fired a .300 win mag, a 18" 870 with 00 buck and slugs, a 3" model 629 in .44 mag, etc.

woodandsteel
04-17-09, 23:29
Currently my wife is not shooting due to her pregnancy, but she is a VERY avid shooter and a very fast learner. She usually won't let me go to the range alone and will frequently fire 200+ rounds of .45ACP out of my 1911 with nothing more than a smile and a "did we bring more ammo?" In terms of heavy recoiling weapons she has fired a .300 win mag, a 18" 870 with 00 buck and slugs, a 3" model 629 in .44 mag, etc.

It is kind of funny. A lot of women complain about the swelling ankles, nausea and back pain associated with pregnancy. My wife complained about not being able to get out and shoot when she was pregnant.

Congratulations on your soon to be born child, decodeddiesel.

Back on topic. I bought a S&W Model 36 "Chief's Special" back in 1994, as my first backup/ccw gun. It is one of my favorite guns to shoot. I find it very manageable and accurate out to 25 yards. I find that it is a little heavy for pocket carry. So, I am now looking to buy a S&W 442. Not as friendly to shoot as the 36, but still a very nice firearm. I know several people who have either the 442 or 642, the triggers are ok and the recoil is manageable.

I also know a few who bought the scandium framed .357's. They tend not to shoot those guns as much.