PDA

View Full Version : JP tension pin question

RE4
04-11-09, 22:10
I am thinking about buying and installing one. The pdf instructions state that you only need one in the rear. I'm not sure how it works, but if it expands in the rear lug than wont the front be loose?
\

Just looking for some answers from people who have actually used it.

Pretty please, I dont want to discuss the merits of wiggle vs accuracy or the use of an accuwedge, just keep it on the tension pin!

mmike87
04-12-09, 19:31
I have one but stopped using it a long time ago. I think that having one end very tight is enough to prevent "wobble" between the two halves. When I used it it worked as advertised and did what it did very well.

Unfortunately, it DOES make stripping the weapon a real PITA and that is why I stopped using it. And it does make it so opening the gun up requires tools.

RE4
04-12-09, 21:52
So was the front loose ?

mmike87
04-13-09, 11:39
Not really. If I grabbed the two and twisted, you could feel a tiny bit of movement. However, it's the "rattle" that annoys people, and having one end tight seems to be enough to stop any rattle. Sure, if you try real hard to detect movement it's there, but it gets rid of any rattle.

A lot of people use the "O" ring trick around the front lug. It doesn't stop the movement in the rear, but it "cushions" it to remove the annoying sloppy rattle.

Try a #7 o ring arond the front lug and see what I mean.

ralph
04-13-09, 19:44
I've got one in a target AR I have... It makes the rifle feel more solid,works great for THAT role. I would NEVER use one in a rifle intended for SHTF, home defense, etc, Take down with it is a pain, and requires the use of a allen wrench, It has no place in a rifle you would bet your life on..

mofeen
01-14-11, 12:47
What about using an Accuwedge? Seem to have great reviews. My Colt LE6940 seems to have a bit of play between the upper and the lower. Not enough for a rattle, but it is somewhat annoying.

kartoffel
01-14-11, 14:09
Since this thread has not yet been locked, I'd like to suggest that you can get the same tightening effect by stuffing a cigarette butt in your lower. Save yourself the $3.99. The looseness does not hurt anything.

RE4
01-14-11, 16:48
I started this thread ( a long time ago), but since then i've been using the JP pin and it really tightens down the rifle- It feels great. Take down is a pain but the solid feel is worth it- for me.