PDA

View Full Version : Which Scope Mount and Rings to buy?

madisonsfinest
04-12-09, 11:06
Hey all! I just purchased a rem 700 sps tactical for deer hunting and some paper punching. I am new to the bolt rifle seen and I'm looking for some input on a decent scope mount, and rings. I was thinking that the tactical leupolds would be fine. I have a vortex scope which has a 1" tube. Thanks for any help.

PS. I'm not trying to make this the most accurate rifle out there, and I'm sure most of my deer shots will be from 200 yards in, and most likely 100 yards or so.

madisonsfinest
04-12-09, 19:35
Come on! I see you bolt guys viewing! Impart some Wisdom.....please

mkemmerl
04-13-09, 08:01
TPS rings are hard to beat for their combination of quality, ease of use and price. I have no experience with their bases but they are priced right. They are a bargain if they are machined to the same quality as the rings.

EGW is another that comes to mind for budget rails, but there are several other US mfgs. I got a great price on my rings from Big River Tactical. (Edit - got my stores mixed up)

http://www.tacticalprecision.com/

Solomon
04-13-09, 08:04
edited

Solomon
04-13-09, 08:05
Badger or Seekins

Get the 20 MOA rail.

madisonsfinest
04-13-09, 08:24
Thanks for all of the suggestions so far. I know this is going to sound like a stupid question, but what is the significance of a 20moa cant and a 0moa cant?

billy-s
04-13-09, 11:05
Scopes that are not set up on an angled base waste almost half of thier elevation dial potential. Not a problem if ONLY shooting 300 and in but why limit the rifle.

If a scope is mounted without an angled base, at 100y when zeroed the scope is more than likely anywhere from +30 to +45 MOA up from bottom. That means that around 500-600 yards there is no more elevation left in the dials (scope model dependant) and the shooter has to hold for elevation. Height from line of sight to boreline also has a factor with this.

For a .308 I'd recommend a 20 MOA base at the minimum. It won't affect your short game.

Solomon
04-13-09, 11:18
You will also note that Larue's new OSR 7.62 has a 20 MOA rail.

Pk14
04-13-09, 12:47
Congrats on your SPS - I've been enjoying the value this rifle has. Similar situation to yours was discussed here in the Optics section:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=25777

Several choices when it comes to using the SPS as a hunting rifle. Would agree with above posters on 20 MOA base. Not needed if your < 500 yds for hunting but gives you options for out West.

Good luck,
Pk

slamb750
04-18-09, 01:04
I would try a set of Farrell Industries rings and base. Great price and product. Fast shipping and top notch service.

Dave L.
04-18-09, 06:13
I would try a set of Farrell Industries rings and base. Great price and product. Fast shipping and top notch service.

Brownells also sells Farrell rings and bases. I just ordered a Farrell base for a Savage I hunt with.

I'm also partial to Badger and Nightforce bases. Nightforce rings are apparently cut so accurately, they do not need to be serialized.

JStor
04-18-09, 12:56
Another vote for Badger Ordnance for precision rifles. For lighter, hunting weight rifles, I like Talley rings and bases.

Gunfighter13
04-27-09, 01:33
Hey all! I just purchased a rem 700 sps tactical for deer hunting and some paper punching. I am new to the bolt rifle seen and I'm looking for some input on a decent scope mount, and rings. I was thinking that the tactical leupolds would be fine. I have a vortex scope which has a 1" tube. Thanks for any help.

PS. I'm not trying to make this the most accurate rifle out there, and I'm sure most of my deer shots will be from 200 yards in, and most likely 100 yards or so.

I recommend the Leupold STD Mounts for what you intend to use the gun for. It is a tried and true system that has worked for a long time. Cost effective to.
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/mounting-systems-and-accessories/mounting-systems/std-mounts/

seb5
04-27-09, 19:30
I like the badgers. If you want a lightweight set I have and am very happy with the NightForce rings I have.

madisonsfinest
04-27-09, 20:19
Thanks for the replies. I ended up going with the STD Leupold's. After taking it out, it is accurate enough for my needs, I'm very impressed.

TAZ
05-01-09, 22:11
Badger if you can and want to afford them. Seekins also makes some VERY good stuff.

On my budget project rifle, I went with an EGW 20moa base and Warne rings. The base was well made with no goofy machining marks or finish issues. The ring and base combo on my Savage centered dead nuts so it saved me from having to lap them.