PDA

View Full Version : LMT Piston Range Report

F.C.III
04-12-09, 14:19
I finally got out yesterday and got a chance to shoot my lmt piston gun. What a bad ass piece of machinery! I got the irons zeroed in 5 rds at 25 yrds., not to shabby. The recoil impulse was to me no different than my d.i. mrp or my 6920. The rifle was shot with the included H2 buffer. I didnt have a lot of time so I only got a chance to shoot a total of 250 rds.
Federal 55gr. .223=100 rds.
Lake City M855 5.56 62 gr.=50 rds.
PMC 55gr. .223 =50 rds.
S. African M193 55gr. 5.56 = 30 rds.
Remington 55gr. .223 =20 rds.
All rds. fired with no malfunctions except a bad mag which was a brand new Tango Down 30 rd. fully loaded who's follower took a nose dive. I stripped out the mag and replaced with a pmag and proceeded to hammer rounds down range with my new toy. There were no other stoppages for the rest of the day. I also ran a few mags of old crusty mixed ammo through her with out a hitch. Accuracy was great with more than one 5 shot group under 1" at my limited 75 yd. range that I shot at. My only regret is that I had no Wolf or Silver Bear to run through it to see how it would handle the nasty stuff. I feel that it would handle it without an issue. Oh yeah, did I mention it was an ease to clean! Nice little bonus.:cool:

hoverp
04-12-09, 15:40
I finally got out yesterday and got a chance to shoot my lmt piston gun. What a bad ass piece of machinery! I got the irons zeroed in 5 rds at 25 yrds., not to shabby. The recoil impulse was to me no different than my d.i. mrp or my 6920. The rifle was shot with the included H2 buffer. I didnt have a lot of time so I only got a chance to shoot a total of 250 rds.
Federal 55gr. .223=100 rds.
Lake City M855 5.56 62 gr.=50 rds.
PMC 55gr. .223 =50 rds.
S. African M193 55gr. 5.56 = 30 rds.
Remington 55gr. .223 =20 rds.
All rds. fired with no malfunctions except a bad mag which was a brand new Tango Down 30 rd. fully loaded who's follower took a nose dive. I stripped out the mag and replaced with a pmag and proceeded to hammer rounds down range with my new toy. There were no other stoppages for the rest of the day. I also ran a few mags of old crusty mixed ammo through her with out a hitch. Accuracy was great with more than one 5 shot group under 1" at my limited 75 yd. range that I shot at. My only regret is that I had no Wolf or Silver Bear to run through it to see how it would handle the nasty stuff. I feel that it would handle it without an issue. Oh yeah, did I mention it was an ease to clean! Nice little bonus.:cool:

Well, with that being said I really think I have a weapons problem...not an ammo problem ....I agree with the moderator....

Sorry, Im the guy with the New LMT CQB MRP Piston that has short stroke syndrome.....

Glad your piston ran like the wind..!!!

was the PMC stuff the 55 grain PMC Bronze for like 8.50 a box?

F.C.III
04-12-09, 15:45
I also had to send a rifle back , i know how you are feeling. Trust me they have great c.s. people, they will help you out. It happens to us all eventually. Yes the PMC was the bronze 55gr.

Razorhunter
04-12-09, 19:58
I have read several posts, where others also had the same short stroking issue with their MRP GP rifles.
IIRC, Gene at LMT has stated that the fix for this is most likely a very simple one, where the gas port hole must be opened up slightly.
Several guys received them MRP GP uppers back, usually with brand new bbls, and the problem was totally solved, and they are all very happy.
LMT had a slight chamber sizing issue (which wasn't related to the GP system itself, but became apparent during the piston system debut coincidentally), and they have had an issue with the gas port hole size.
I have not seen or heard of any other issues with the rest of the piston system. Has anyone else heard about any carrier tilt issues?
I know LMT told me they were quite confident they had the carrier tilt issue solved, so I'll be interested to find out if this ever becomes an issue with the LMT GP rifle.
Anyhow, once LMT has their gas port hole sizing addressed, I think they will no longer have any issues at all.