PDA

View Full Version : good gun for ccw (glock19 ) or (sig 229)

ROADKING
04-12-09, 21:03
which is the most reliable go bang everytime ccw gun.

Palmguy
04-12-09, 21:20
I thought you were getting a Glock 19?

ROADKING
04-12-09, 21:26
I did get on and love it., i have a freind that cant decide on which one he wants so i told him i would run it past the guys here on the forum while he watches the results of whats said on here. I didnt want to steer him the wrong way.

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-12-09, 21:34
Both are great guns. I have had better luck with SIG 229s than Glock 19s, but I don't own either of them any more. I do own three Glock 17s but no more Sigs.:(

mkemmerl
04-12-09, 21:34
I carry a G19 and have never had a failure in 15 years of shooting it. I have shot a good number of rounds through both and have several reasons for chosing the Glock over the Sig, but reliability is definitely not one of them. A significant number of LE departments issue both, so that should speak for itself.

As stated on this forum many times, pick what works best for you as you can be confident both will work if you need them to.

BB01
04-12-09, 22:15
Reliability aside...One weighs less, holds more ammo, is more compact, cheaper, and eaisier to maintain at the user level. So if I shot both equally well/poorly, these would be factors I would consider.

dsg2003gt
04-12-09, 22:43
the only gun I like more than my G19 doesnt exist yet.

.357sigger
04-12-09, 22:45
I have both...but for CCW I would have to say G19...lighter...more capacity....cheaper...to buy and shoot!!! Our dept issues 229's and I like both but the sig is much heavier...and for what its worth the g19 is my off duty gun.

Gentoo
04-12-09, 23:54
It has already been reported that current manufacture Sigs have taken a nosedive in quality.

tpd223
04-13-09, 00:22
What BB01 said.

wargasm
04-13-09, 00:29
The one that he gets, is gonna be the best one! The only thing that'll suck is trying to find and buy ammo in massive quantities! Be a friend and share your ammo. You do have ammo, right?

1SFG
04-13-09, 00:41
I must have missed that memo. Where is this being reported? What quality deficiencies have been identified? How many pistols have gone down that would point to this nosedive? Which specific models, or are we talking about all of them?

I carry a G19 both here at home and when deployed. Love the gun, and it's the one I recommend to most people. But Sig has traditionally made a quality product, if a bit pricey so other than their BS policy of shipping guns now with 1 magazine citing a "global" shortage of magazines (and of course no reduction in price of the gun), I'd love to hear where you're getting this intel from.

It has already been reported that current manufacture Sigs have taken a nosedive in quality.

ccoker
04-13-09, 10:17
which is the most reliable go bang everytime ccw gun.

look at the M&P Compact 9?

I have had a bunch of Glocks (including the 19), Sigs, XDs, 1911s, Walthers, etc.. etc..

I bought my wife the M&P Compact 9 and after shooting it for 2 weeks have fallen in love with it and am getting one for myself

not dissing the Glock at all, they are great, reliable guns..

just offering up an alternative and something to check into if you haven't already done so....

VooDoo6Actual
04-13-09, 11:50
G19.

HTH....

givo08
04-13-09, 14:27
the only gun I like more than my G19 doesnt exist yet.

I agree with this. The G19 is the perfect balance of size and capacity for me. I also shoot it faster and more accurately (at speed) than any other handgun. Sig quality has gone to hell, a quick read on sigforum will show you that they are having all kinds of quality related problems, and their customer service is hit or miss on whether or not they'll actually be able to address the problems. The sig is also a huge gun compared to the G19. It's a lot thicker in the grip and slide and much heavier.

Another very close contender to the G19, in my opinion would be an H&K P2000 LEM. This gun fits my hand like a glove and points very naturally. It also has less recoil than my G19, a faster mag release, and is unbelievably accurate for a production service pistol. I shoot my G19 a little quicker though due to the shorter reset. Grayguns is now offering a reduced reset package for the H&K LEM trigger, and I think the combination of this plus the other postive features of this gun could make it a real winner. The biggest cons to me for the P2k (and any H&K) are lack of parts availability, lack of sight options (my two preferred sight options are not available: heinie's and warren's), and expensive magazines.

I do prefer the M&P 9mm to the G19, but it is a little too big for me to carry and is more like a G17 in size. If they made an M&P45c sized 9mm (bigger than the M&P9c but smaller than the M&P9), I think it would be the gun that replaces my G19 as my do everything handgun.

Failure2Stop
04-13-09, 15:13

This is not untrue, though I would probably say "steady decline".
Sigs are decent guns and Glocks are decent guns, but a G19 is superb in that function and would be my choice of the two options, provided that the buyer assumes that the factory sights will have to be replaced ASAP.

Business_Casual
04-13-09, 15:23
Which one is actually in stock?

j/k

M_P

Blinking Dog
04-13-09, 15:58
One thing I've had to remind myself, which may be appropriate here, is to consider the experience level of the person I'm giving gun advice to. A Glock is a fine handgun but if we're talking about someone who doesn't have solid safe handling skills you might reconsider. I'm hesitant to recommend a Glock to someone unless I know they can handle the safe action volkspistol without accidentally making it go bang.

Abraxas
04-13-09, 16:20
This is not untrue, though I would probably say "steady decline".
Sigs are decent guns and Glocks are decent guns, but a G19 is superb in that function and would be my choice of the two options, provided that the buyer assumes that the factory sights will have to be replaced ASAP.

Agreed

87GN
04-13-09, 16:40
I would go with a Sig 228. I found one as new in box, no discernible wear, a west german one, for $500. I don't have my Glock 19 any more. Plus 15rd (flush fit) mec-gar mags for the Sig are cheaper than 15rd mags for the Glock.

ROADKING
04-13-09, 16:52
I always looked at the two guns as the GLOCK as a powerstroke diesel work horse and the sig as a escalade (looks nice and be careful not to scratch it,) The glock you can just beat it up still looks tough and keeps on going strong.

thopkins22
04-13-09, 17:57
I always looked at...the sig as a escalade (looks nice and be careful not to scratch it,)

Reason enough for me to never buy a Sig. We'll have to disagree on whether or not an escalade looks nice.

User Name
04-13-09, 18:54
I believe they are both excellent firearms. To say one is better than another would be in most cases purely opinion. I prefer Glock but I have been shooting Glocks and Glocks alone for several years. Though I would feel just as well protected carrying a 229.

doughnut
04-13-09, 22:33
I carry a Sig 229 as a duty weapon (department mandated) and a Glock 19 off-duty. I prefer the G19 for reasons others have already stated: more capacity, lighter weight, and for me it conceals easier. I believe both are outstanding and I've never experienced an issue with either but the G19 is my choice if I could pick only one.

Staind503
04-13-09, 23:30
I have a 229 and i love it, i've shot a few glocks before and they're just not comfortable in my hands. either one is a good choice. and i could really care less if i got a scratch on mine. my 229 isn't there to look pretty... i probably haven't cleaned it in 400 rounds (not a lot to some) and it runs perfectly. i've never had a failure with it

variablebinary
04-14-09, 01:12
I would go with a Sig 228. I found one as new in box, no discernible wear, a west german one, for $500. I don't have my Glock 19 any more. Plus 15rd (flush fit) mec-gar mags for the Sig are cheaper than 15rd mags for the Glock.

NIB SIG 228R models are being imported and are on dealers shelves right now. I've always thought the 228 was the only compact 9mm that gave the G19 a run for the money

They are like $750-$850

givo08
04-14-09, 09:25
NIB SIG 228R models are being imported and are on dealers shelves right now. I've always thought the 228 was the only compact 9mm that gave the G19 a run for the money

They are like $750-$850

Just curious...can the new Sig 228R's have the SRT installed or do they come with the SRT?

variablebinary
04-14-09, 13:45
Just curious...can the new Sig 228R's have the SRT installed or do they come with the SRT?

If they came with SRT's I would have one in my safe right now

Not sure if they will retro fit either.

royta
04-15-09, 21:41
My first handgun was a Sig P229 in .40 S&W, which I bought new in 1999. Fantastic weapon. However, it is a wide and heavy handgun. I haven't carried it IWB, but I have carried it OWB. You'll certainly need a good gun belt because the P229 is heavy. Up until a year ago, I've been a Glock hater. I guess that was because my first handgun was the P229. I bought a Kahr P9 for my primary CCW pistol in 2001. Over the years of carrying it, I realized that I wanted the same trigger pull on the first shot as I would have on the last shot. Also, my hatred of the Glock was slowly going away. I recently decided I wanted to get rid of the P9 so I could replace it with something I could also use for IDPA type shooting. I decided on the Glock 19, which I bought a couple weeks ago.

I like the feel of the trigger of my Glock 19 better better than my P229, at least for quick shooting. With the P229, when you release the trigger to where it resets, there is about an 1/8" inch of takeup on the trigger before you hit the resistance of where the trigger will break again for your next shot. Although, there is now a Short Reset Trigger option, which I heard addresses this so called issue. I'd like to give it a try, but I don't think you can buy the Short Reset Trigger parts seperately and that you have to send it in to Sig for the changeout. Obviously I have been putting it off. I also need to try out the Short Trigger (different than the Short Reset Trigger) since the initial reach of the first shot (double action) is just a little long for my short fingers. Anyway, when you release the trigger on the G19, it resets at the exact same spot as where the trigger will break for your next shot. I've only had my G19 for a week or so and haven't shot it yet, but I imagine the Glock trigger should make for faster follow up shots.

Reliability aside...One weighs less, holds more ammo, is more compact, cheaper, and eaisier to maintain at the user level. So if I shot both equally well/poorly, these would be factors I would consider.

You are right. The first thing I did with my G-19 was completely disassemble it. I can't believe how easy these things are to work on. It's almost like the AR-15 of handguns. I can buy a handful of parts and this thing should last forever.

I always looked at the two guns as the GLOCK as a powerstroke diesel work horse and the sig as a escalade (looks nice and be careful not to scratch it,) The glock you can just beat it up still looks tough and keeps on going strong.

Just because you don't want to scratch a P229, doesn't mean it is also not a powerstroke diesel work horse. The P229 is a fine handgun, regardless of whether you're afraid to get it dirty.

G19dude
03-02-11, 20:50
He is going to have to decide for himself if he has access to rent or borrow them both and take them to the range. Try carrying them both for a few days....

Both are great choices! I would chose and have chosen glock for several reasons.

Both guns are top of the line in reliability. With that being said other things I feel that are important to me at least is-

-plenty of holsters, spare parts, holsters, mags, sight options on the market
-less parts
-lighter weight
-Less expensive (l like to own two of everything)

RancidSumo
03-02-11, 21:01
Something tells me he has decided by now...

B Cart
03-02-11, 21:21
I was trying to decide on these same two guns when I started carrying. I held and shot both multiple times, and then went with the SIG because I personally liked how it felt and shot more than I liked the glock.

Your friend should shoot both and then decide which he likes best. I think both of those guns are excellent options and are both going to be excellent in terms of reliability, so it will come down to which one his is most comfortable with.

Even though I love my SIG P229 .40 and carry it every day, it's true that the glock is going to be lighter, more compact, and carry more rounds. There are definite advantages to those things. I personally didn't like the way the glock felt and shot, but if your friend likes the glock then that may be the way to go.

On another note, I think the S&W M&P 9 should be a serious contender in his decision. I think the M&P 9 is one of the best carry pistols out there all things considered. Just my .02

S-1
03-02-11, 21:39
Something tells me he has decided by now...

LOL! No kidding....

Nice 2 year old thread bump, dude.

bilat
03-02-11, 22:50
I love them both which is why I carry both! HAHA. On a serious note I do shoot better with the Glock.

G19dude
03-02-11, 23:10
LOL! No kidding....

Nice 2 year old thread bump, dude.

LOL sorry bro....didn't look at the dates. brainfart

Omega Man
03-03-11, 00:50
I have both...but for CCW I would have to say G19...lighter...more capacity....cheaper...to buy and shoot!!! Our dept issues 229's and I like both but the sig is much heavier...and for what its worth the g19 is my off duty gun.

This.

variablebinary
03-03-11, 04:01
I like the feel of the 229 E2. They shoot nice as well, but for the price I'd rather get a Gen4 Glock and call it a day.

SIG is hit and miss these days, but in terms of DA/SA pistols, the E2 models have a lot going for them compared to competing designs.