PDA

View Full Version : FN Bolt Carrier Groups

Iraqgunz
04-13-09, 11:55
Does anyone have any info on the FN bolt carrier groups that are on Gunbroker? Are they factory rejects or what? I wasn't aware that FN sold these on the market.

Also, on a side note. I was examining some Colt M4's a few nights ago. The bolts on some of them were marked MPYC and MPJC. First time that I have seen those markings. They were actually "bastard" M4's as the lowers were marked M16A2 and had burst indicators, but full-auto FCG's.

markm
04-13-09, 12:01
I think the thought was that those markings on the Colt Bolts had a date coded into them. In other words the Y and the J indicate some production date.

minsane
04-13-09, 15:24
From my experience on the hunt for a bolt, if it is F marked then it is an FN contractor. Apparently they do not sell to the general public. If it is FN marked then it is genuine FN. Do a search on FN bolt and you should find my thread. I would be avaoid the F marked bolts.

Iraqgunz
04-13-09, 15:51
The BCG's on Gunbroker are 180.00 complete which isn't all that bad in todays market. But, if they are crap then obviously not.

Razorhunter
04-13-09, 17:01
It's been quite apparent over the years, that Colt will mark all sorts of letter variations on their bolts, and the "C" or "MPC" will many times vary in the font/size/etc. I have one that is stamped "C" in a very slim, tall letter shape, and then I have one that is stamped "C" with a much shorter, wider shaped letter size.
Finally, I have had some that are stamped "MPC" I think it was, IIRC. To add to the confusion, I think many times they even come from very close dates of production, and still have different stamps.
Colt is just one of a kind. Scottryan of these forums has confirmed much of this info, and he seems to know a lot about Colt production.
I don't normally link to TOS, but there is an interesting Colt thread over there, which shows different Colt stamps and such. I'll see if I can dig it up for anyone interested.

BTW,
$180 for a complete FN BCG is a great deal on GB especially, and I would not hesitate to jump all over that, if I needed a BCG. I prefer Colt, and maybe a BCM or two, but that's only because I've never really found the FN's in stock at GR Tactical over the years when I've ordered. I always used to ask Grant if he had an FN BCG, but he never did when I was ordering.
Of course, I'm sure you know that Colt BCG's are about $300 new, and that is normal pricing, (not election hype prices).

Iraqgunz
04-13-09, 17:06
Do you think that these so-called FN BCG's are bogus then? The seller is claiming that they are FN.

FN bolts are marked MPF

I don't remember any mark on the carrier

FN does not sell m16 components, is not permited to, commercially. They use the gov't specs to make a gov product. Parts not meeting spec are destroyed.

as per time at the factory in SC

steve-oh
04-13-09, 18:08
FN bolt carriers are not marked, and a lot of sellers sell unmarked crap so they think they can just brand them "FN" and people will buy.

Shihan
04-13-09, 19:05
Do you think that these so-called FN BCG's are bogus then? The seller is claiming that they are FN.

Brother they arent direct from FN and may be from one of their suppliers but you are rolling the dice if it is indeed a bolt from the same contractor. Give an example GOG at the shws here for quite somtime were selling complete FN uppers in every configuration under the sun except for the one that is actually made by FN.

Iraqgunz
04-13-09, 19:12
I had my suspicions and have decided not to take the risk. I am GTG for the moment, but I want to panic like the others. :D

Brother they arent direct from FN and may be from one of their suppliers but you are rolling the dice if it is indeed a bolt from the same contractor. Give an example GOG at the shws here for quite somtime were selling complete FN uppers in every configuration under the sun except for the one that is actually made by FN.

Hound_va
04-13-09, 19:40
IIRC the FN contract bolt carriers that Grant used to have used torx screws for the gas key. IIRC they were made by Advanced Ordnance out of Florida for that contract.

-Wes-
04-13-09, 20:13
How do barrels get out on the market? I have a 20" Gov profile marked "FNMI MP 5.56 NATO 1/7" A fake? I hope not.

BravoCompanyUSA
04-13-09, 20:41
FN does not sell BCGs to the public.

Only way it can be a FN BCG is if its "rescued" from Uncle Sam. (rarer than hen's teeth)

Eurodriver
08-16-10, 23:14
I know this is an old thread,

But lets say for sake of arguement someone got their hands on a legit, uncle sam, new in packaging, Bolts and Bolt Carriers from FN or whomever. Would these be quality? I don't believe the question has been answered in this thread yet.

kaltesherz
08-17-10, 00:16
FN bolt carriers are marked clearly "FN", at least the M16A2's we had in the armory were

Eurodriver
08-17-10, 00:41
FN bolt carriers are marked clearly "FN", at least the M16A2's we had in the armory were

This is where it gets weird. The NSN for an FN M16A4 bolt, is different than that of a Colt M4 bolt. However, they are both clearly marked "MPF" and the extractor is marked "F". And, in the majority of M16A4 bolts, the extractor spring is black.

The M16 rifle and the M4/M4A1 carbine can now use the same extractor spring assembly. That means in the near future the M16 and M4 will also use the same breech bolt assembly.

The old extractor spring assembly, NSN 5360-01-424-5899, is still in stock and may be ordered for use on the M16. The old breech bolt assembly, NSN 1005-01-422-3770, is also still in stock and may be ordered only for the M16.

Once stock of the two assemblies is exhausted, order only the new extractor spring assembly, NSN 5360-01-505-2886. It's gold colored - the old one is dark colored. Order the new breech bolt assembly with NSN 1005-01-505-1035.

However, now the .gov is saying the M4 and M16 can share both extractors, springs, and bolt assemblies.

So what gives? Does Colt supply M4 bolts and FN supply M16 bolts but use the same markings? Are FN/Colt bolts/carriers HP/MPI tested?

The M4 and M16 carriers are marked with like B1B1B6 or something weird like that. Its on the left side below the gas key.

Iraqgunz
08-17-10, 01:06
You mean like this one?

According to the CAGE code it is made by Toolcraft, Inc. of Marion, N.C.

As for the extractor issue I believe that the military went to the M4 extractor and is using them in all weapons now in order to simplfy the supply chain. I may be wrong.

This is where it gets weird. The NSN for an FN M16A4 bolt, is different than that of a Colt M4 bolt. However, they are both clearly marked "MPF" and the extractor is marked "F". And, in the majority of M16A4 bolts, the extractor spring is black.

However, now the .gov is saying the M4 and M16 can share both extractors, springs, and bolt assemblies.

So what gives? Does Colt supply M4 bolts and FN supply M16 bolts but use the same markings? Are FN/Colt bolts/carriers HP/MPI tested?

The M4 and M16 carriers are marked with like B1B1B6 or something weird like that. Its on the left side below the gas key.

JEL458
08-17-10, 02:07
FN bolt carriers are not marked, and a lot of sellers sell unmarked crap so they think they can just brand them "FN" and people will buy.

I have 6 spare BCGs from .gov FN M16s and the BCGs are all marked "FN" on the side where there is a "C" on my Colt BCGs. The extractors have "F" engraved on them and bolts all have "MPF".

Eurodriver
08-17-10, 02:20
Iraqguns, yes, like that.

I have 6 spare BCGs from .gov FN M16s and the BCGs are all marked "FN" on the side where there is a "C" on my Colt BCGs. The extractors have "F" engraved on them and bolts all have "MPF".

Well now I'm really confused.

What Iraqguns posted I have seen on M16s and M4s. Those are produced by
http://www.toolcraftinc.com/carriers.htm

Edit: Ok, I'm kinda tracking now.

FN Contracts toolcraft to supply them with Bolt carriers for the M16 rifle? Sorta on the right track? But the "MPF", FN made bolts. Who makes those? FN or another company? I don't have access to cage codes right now.

Iraqgunz
08-17-10, 03:58
As far as I know they make their bolts in house.

Iraqguns, yes, like that.

Well now I'm really confused.

What Iraqguns posted I have seen on M16s and M4s. Those are produced by
http://www.toolcraftinc.com/carriers.htm

Edit: Ok, I'm kinda tracking now.

FN Contracts toolcraft to supply them with Bolt carriers for the M16 rifle? Sorta on the right track? But the "MPF", FN made bolts. Who makes those? FN or another company? I don't have access to cage codes right now.

Adam0331
08-17-10, 05:13
All of the M16A4s in my armory have bolt carriers marked F and bolts marked MPF.

All of the M4s bolt carriers are marked with a C and the bolt is marked MPC. And I just received a lot of brand new M4s that are marked the same way as older ones, no cage codes or odd codes on them.