PDA

View Full Version : LWRC Uppers?

jp0319
04-13-09, 14:17
I just put a LWRC M6A2 16" carbine on layaway and was wondering if anyone knew does LWRC sell uppers? I would like to get a 10.5" upper to be able to switch out with the 16" But I dont see uppers listed alone on their site.

1SFG
04-13-09, 14:34
I purchased one directly from LWRC, but that was through a special purchase last year set up by a former teammate. Pretty sure Northwest Tactical has LWRC uppers in stock.

CJGarza
04-13-09, 23:06
LOL this is funny, actually I just put an LWRC 10.5 M6A1 on layaway and I was looking for a 16 incher (was planning to look for a trade once I got it).

Agile53
04-13-09, 23:31
FWIW I'm hoping to post a FS ad on the Marketplace Tu. for two 10.5" LW uppers. One will be approx. $1250 & the other approx. $1100. Difference is round count 2500 vs. 3000, otherwise they are evil twins.
Agile53

Ziptie
04-14-09, 09:46
Agile, any particular reason for the sale? It's not performance related, is it? I'm about to drop the hammer on a 10.5 myself.

Ziptie

Sigmax
04-14-09, 10:29
I am running 2 10.5" LWRCI uppers that I picked up from Matt @ Northwest Tactical. They were recommended by a professional I used to work with.

They may have some in stock right now but I would give them a call to be sure. I know they had some of the new 12" models coming in also.

jp0319
04-14-09, 12:11
LOL this is funny, actually I just put an LWRC 10.5 M6A1 on layaway and I was looking for a 16 incher (was planning to look for a trade once I got it).

Well if your looking for a trade next year when I get back from deployment let me know I'd be interested.

Garrasa
04-14-09, 12:14
Northwest Tactical has a bunch. most are deposit only, but they're good people.

http://northwesttactical.us.com/uppers.aspx

jp0319
04-14-09, 12:15
I purchased one directly from LWRC, but that was through a special purchase last year set up by a former teammate. Pretty sure Northwest Tactical has LWRC uppers in stock.

Thanks I Found the NWT site after I posted. I am going to see if my dealer can get one so I can lay it away with the 16" I have there.

1SFG is that short for 1st Special Forces Group (A)? I ask because I used to be there, just wondering.:rolleyes:

VA_Dinger
04-14-09, 12:51
Until they truly address issues like these I would hold off and buy a quality D.I. upper from Colt, LMT, Daniel Defense, Noveske, or Charles Daly. The below data for the LWRC upper and two complete weapons does not look very impressive. Parts breakage of this magnitude at relatively low round counts (Many cases around 3k) is a sure sign of a design needing maturing and more testing.

I just re-read the LWRCI SWAT magazine article and took the liberty of breaking down the testing reports to simplify it. Some of the info has dates and the rest is just listed as which class/location, but it is in chronological order.

Gun #24 – LWRCI complete upper on a semi-auto non-LWRCI lower receiver. Upper was received December 2007.

Reports:
- 3 classes w/ no reported issues (Approximately 3,600 rounds)
- Upper went back to LWRCI factory for inspection/rebuild
- May 2008 class – gun ran fine
- 9,170 rounds - Upper went back to LWRCI factory for inspection/rebuild/new barrel
- Approximately 13,000 rounds – Upper went back to LWRC factory for inspection/rebuild/new barrel
- September 2008 (Memphis) class – no problems reported
- October 2008 (Ares, Florida) Class – Gun has “odd” accuracy issues with its 1/9 barrel. With Mil-Spec M855 it will not hold a 10” group with even experienced shooters. Shoots 3MOA with 55 grain ammo though
- Oct 2008 (Missouri) – “Constant Malfunctions”
- Upper goes back to LWRCI factory for inspection/rebuild. New BCG installed.
- Dec 2008 (Florida) class – no problems reported

Summary:
- Upper went back to LWRC factory three times for inspection/rebuild
3,600 rounds, 13,000 rounds, and no round count given.
- Parts replaced (listed in article) – BCG & two barrels.

Total rounds fired: 20,220

Gun #38 – Complete LWRCI 16” carbine. Received February 2008

Reports:
- Feb 2008 class – no problems reported
- 2,700 rounds – Forward gas key screw broke with pieces falling into the weapons action and “Locking it up completely”.
- Barrel/ rail found loose
- 3,600 rounds – Complete weapon went back to LWRCI factory for inspection/rebuild.
- May 2008 class – no problems reported
- August (Ohio) class – Stopped running due to “popped primer”, shooter switched to gun #39 for rest of class.
- Sept (2008) class - no problems reported
- 13,665 rounds – Weapon went back to LWRCI factory to have a new complete upper installed.
- Oklahoma class – Numerous failures to eject – gun did finish the class though
- North Carolina class – No problems reported
- Oct 2008 class (Ares, Florida) – Op rod spring failure and broken spring cup – parts replaced and gun back up and running.
- Oct 2008 class (Arizona) – broken front gas key screw falls into weapons action “Locking up the gun”
- Complete lower parts kit replaced
- Dec (Florida) class – gun not used for class.

Summary:
- Complete weapon went back to LWRCI three times for inspection/rebuild.
- Parts replaced (not a complete list); complete upper, extractor, extractor spring, insert, action spring, numerous BCG’s, op rod spring, spring cup, complete lower parts kit.
- Parts that completed the testing from start to finish; stripped lower receiver, extension tube, buttstock, and grip.

Total rounds fired: 21,615

Gun #39 – Complete LWRCI 16” carbine. Received February 2008

Reports:
- Feb 2008 class – No problems reported
- March 2008 class (2nd class for this weapon) – Numerous malfunctions (double feeds) – gun was cleaned, and new extractor, extractor spring, extractor insert, and action spring installed.
- 3,600 rounds - – Complete weapon went back to LWRCI factory for inspection/rebuild. New BCG installed
- Unspecified class /date – unspecified “Barrel problem”, weapon would not group reasonably well with Mil-Spec ammo & experienced shooter
- May 2008 class - No problems reported
- 5,400 rounds – Op rod spring failure & Op rod lost. Lost parts could not be found. Later found by accident next day during class. Parts reinstalled in weapon with new op rod spring.
- August 2008 (Ohio) – Numerous malfunctions – action spring replaced and gun ran fine.
- Pennsylvania class – Numerous malfunctions – ejection port spring found broken –replaced – gun ran without issues (13,600 rounds)
- 13, 651 rounds - Weapon went back to LWRCI factory to have a new complete upper installed.
- Oklahoma class – No problems reported
- North Carolina class – Numerous type II malfunctions
- Oct (Oklahoma) class – Began firing from reset – new complete lower parts kit installed
- December (Florida) class – No problems reported

Summary:
- Complete weapon went back to LWRCI factory twice for inspection/rebuild.
- Parts replaced (not a complete list); complete upper, extractor, extractor spring, insert, action spring, numerous BCG’s, op rod spring, spring cup, complete lower parts kit.
- Parts that completed the testing from start to finish; stripped lower receiver, extension tube, buttstock, and grip.

Total rounds fired: 19,015 rounds

1SFG
04-14-09, 12:57
Yessir - '98 through 2001 before moving on to my current organization.

Thanks I Found the NWT site after I posted. I am going to see if my dealer can get one so I can lay it away with the 16" I have there.

1SFG is that short for 1st Special Forces Group (A)? I ask because I used to be there, just wondering.:rolleyes:

jp0319
04-14-09, 13:12
Yessir - '98 through 2001 before moving on to my current organization.

I was there 98-01 also I left december 01 to come back to Division where I have regrettably been ever since. I was a rigger back then I've since reclassed. I do miss FT lewis.