PDA

View Full Version : Doc, what do you know about these?

Heavy Metal
04-13-09, 19:02
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=438083&page=1

If it were by anyone else but Molon, I would say this is too good to be true.

PlatoCATM
04-13-09, 20:01
While it doesn't even seem remotely plausible that this is all it claims to be (especially that part about the amygdala disruption or whatever), Molon adamantly defends it. Like HM said, if it weren't for his input, I would think it was B.S. Where can I get the bullets and powder? Or either one?

WS6
04-14-09, 03:03
Wow, this is obviously a joke, guys. Check out the evidence and forget the source. Too many people lock-step behind the big-names and miss the little things.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2h2jb7n.jpg

tpd223
04-14-09, 03:08
I smell BS.

My understanding, of just one factoid, is that stuff you can't pick up on X-rays can't be in your bullets, just as we don't allow JHPs in combat, with certain exceptions for match ammo, etc.

Why would I want a combat bullet that disintegrates in drywall? I want a combat bullet that shoots through stuff, lots of stuff.

The "stopping power" info???, I smell rancid BS there.

RogerinTPA
04-14-09, 08:33
Excellent spoof by Molan! Hopefully, this little exercise will snap "some of the people" over in TOS out of their coma. Serves as a warning to newbies about spouting off unsubstantiated BS, with fact. Well played and well done Sir!;)

HiggsBoson
04-14-09, 13:10
Clearly satire and/or troll. It's just a spoof of the hype over the M995; he has obviously used a Sharpie or something to color the bullet tips. Even if it weren't Molon posting it, nearly every sentence contains a dead giveaway.

Examples:

the muzzle velocity of this new round is an astounding 2950 fps when fired from a standard 20” M16A2 barrel

This sentence alone, especially considering who is uttering it, should clue you in...

There is not one single report of an aggressor surviving having being shot with this bullet.

100% true. That's because the bullet is imaginary.

In spite of its outstanding penetration abilities, the bullet disintegrates after having passed through more than 3 layers of dry-wall due to the interaction of the polycarbonated fibers in the penetrator tip with the dry-wall.

The laws of physics are now mere inconveniences to the legendary XM875 round.

Some of Molon's responses are comedy gold too:

Are up saying that you don't believe my statements about energy deposit being a wounding mechanism? I've read about it here on AR15.com, so it must be true. (emphasis added)

I give it 9/10.

Well played, Molon. Well played.

ETA: Molon's admission of satire (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=438083&page=4):

As many of you have probably figured out by now, XM875 is not real and all the properties attributed to it such as "energy deposit" are total BS. This little experiment was conducted to point out some of the far reaching effects of allowing BS to be posted in the technical forums uncontested. With the rash of newbies rolling in each day, they are bringing with them a constant stream of gun rag BS and posting it as if it were fact and as if they are experts. The "energy deposit" nonsense is just one of the recent examples from a current thread.

Allowing newbies or anyone for that matter to post BS in technical threads uncontested does a disservice to ourselves and to those newbies who come here with an honest desire to learn. When an uninformed newbie reads about "energy deposit" in a technical thread, he believes it to be true if it goes uncontested. He then makes decisions based on this nonsense that could actually end up causing him harm in the future. At the least, he goes out into the world and propagates the nonsense he has learned here. When a knowledgeable person hears him spouting such nonsense and quickly shuts him down, the newbie replies that it must be true because he read it here. This in turn earns this site a poor reputation.

I would like this site to be known as source of accurate and factual information. Unfortunately, due to so much BS being posted here lately, this site is being referred to as the "Inquirer" of the firearms websites in technical circles. A past issue of SWAT magazine even referred to this site as having a high "jerk factor." This is not how I would like this site to be known as.

Technical forums should require some semblance of fact to support claims made here. Some of you were finally calling me out in this thread for that, which was nice to see. Mods, feel free to lock this thread now.

Beat Trash
04-15-09, 16:12
Kind of reminds one of the H.G. Wells radio broadcast, "War of the Worlds", and the unexpected results of those who felt it must be true. They heard it on the radio...