PDA

View Full Version : MagPul MOE/CTR Sling Mount?

Bimmer
04-13-09, 19:15
Hi,

I searched, and I looked at a lot of pictures, and I still don't know...

I want a MagPul CTR or MOE, but I want a sling mount at the toe of the stock (just like on my M4 stock).

It looks like the CTR has a hole there so that I could easily attach a QD sling swivel.

It looks like the MOE doesn't have a hole there, but otherwise it looks the same as a CTR. Could I simply drill one there?

Please advise,

Bimmer

Jerm
04-13-09, 19:40
Drilling a hole in the MOE wouldnt work.At least not in the same location as the CTR.Not enough real estate.I doubt the swivel mounts would work just by drilling a hole anyway.

I bought the CTR in large part for the sling mount option.I've found the sling(2 point) works better at the rear of the receiver though.I would get the MOE (unless you really want the friction lock) and spend the difference on another mount placed at the castle nut.There are several brands and types to choose from.I'm using Daniel Defense ambi QD swivel.

If you really want a sling attachment on the stock the CTR should be the way to go.Or you could simply lace the sling through a section of the MOE(wouldnt be my choice).

Bimmer
04-13-09, 19:54
Thanks, Jerm, but I'm a traditionalist, and I really want one end of the sling at the front of the handguard, and the other at the toe of the stock.

I looked at some more photos, and I can see a hole in the toe of the MOE, and MagPul says that there's a "lanyard" hole there.

Can anybody tell me if it would be possible to run a QD sling swivel through there?

Bimmer

One more thing... why does the mil-spec MOE come with the skinny pad (.30"), and the commercial version comes with the thicker pad (.55")?

Jerm
04-13-09, 20:06
If im not mistaken...

Commercial buffer tubes are usually longer.The thickness is due to needing a spacer.

Jerm
04-13-09, 20:13
This might let you run a QD swivel on the MOE.But it'll also put you in CTR price territory...

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=442

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Midwest-Industries-MCTAR-10-p/mctar-10.htm

locobombero
04-13-09, 23:45
MOE + http://www.blueforcegear.com/product.cfm?type=cat&cat_id=5&prod_id=81 = Solution to your problems

Bimmer
04-13-09, 23:57
Thanks guys, but none of this is what I really want...

I've got a Turner sling, and I want a sling swivel permanently in place at the TOE of the stock (the lowest, rearmost part of the stock), so the the sling runs straight forward and backwards from there to the sling swivel on the FSB.

There's a hole in the MOE and the CTR there that looks like it would fit one of Uncle Mike's QD Sling Swivels, like these:

http://usarmorment.com/uncle-mikes-1-qd-super-swivels-blued-p-136.html?currency=USD

My questions: Is the hole big enough, or would I have to hog it out? Is there enough clearance around the hole for such a sling swivel, or would I need to grind down the radius around the hole? It looks to me like the hole is designed for this, but I'd like to be sure...

Bimmer

Joe_Friday
04-14-09, 00:10
Umm.... I think he really wants it at the toe of the stock. :p Just kidding. I think I know what you are talking about and after looking at my MOE, you would have to do a LOT of work to make it happen. The hole would have to be dropped and you would have to thin down the thickness of the stock and even then I don't know if you would get the desired effect. Might be better to find a different type of stock. This is just my .02 cent and someone else might have a better/different view on it though. Good luck

woody556
04-14-09, 00:18
I did the CTR with the new Magpul ASP Sling and ASAP Sling Attachement.

(see attached photos)

Bimmer
04-14-09, 00:37
Woody, that's NOT the goddamned toe!

The toe is the rearmost, lowest part of the stock. It's where the GI M4 stock has a built-in sling attachment.

In the first picture that Woody posted you can see the hole I'm talking about in the foreground . Just in front of the bottom of the butt-pad, there's a hole running left-right through the stock. Is that hole not big enough for a QD sling swivel?!

Joe Friday, how thick is the rim around the hole? I'd have to guess, but I think a normal sling swivel is at least 1/4" or 3/8" across, and the gap from the cross-bar to the base is 1/8" or 3/16".
Wouldn't that work? A little dremeling wouldn't ruin my whole day, of course...

Bimmer

Jerm
04-14-09, 00:49
Is that hole not big enough for a QD sling swivel?!

Nope,not any i've seen.

Even if it were...

What is the swivel mount going to grab?Are you going to drill out the hole to perfectly fit the swivel and then remove material from the inside creating a rim for the swivel to grab?

Either we're on totally different pages here or i think that MI mount i posted is going to get you closet to a QD swivel on "the toe!!!".;)

As long as it would span the width of the stock at the bottom/rear(just forward of the lanyard hole) that is.

Bimmer
04-14-09, 01:03
What is the swivel mount going to grab?Are you going to drill out the hole to perfectly fit the swivel and then remove material from the inside creating a rim for the swivel to grab?

Yes. This was my plan.

... i think that MI mount i posted is going to get you closet to a QD swivel on "the toe!!!".;)

No... I think that MI mount would have to mount across the stock, and I want the swivel mounted along the length of the gun, with the sling running through it north-south, not east-west.

I'll keep mulling this over.

In the meantime, if anybody with a CTR or MOE and a calipers and nothing better to do could take some measurements for me, I'd appreciate it...

Bimmer

Jerm
04-14-09, 01:09
Yes. This was my plan.

Good luck with that.:p

Hope you can work it out.

Shihan
04-14-09, 15:46
Just thread it at the toe with a buckle for retention if using the MOE. I prefer the CTR for the QD point and the friction lockup but you can use a cuckle and still get QD with it.

Bimmer
04-14-09, 20:32
Just thread it at the toe with a buckle for retention if using the MOE. I prefer the CTR for the QD point and the friction lockup but you can use a cuckle and still get QD with it.

Thread it? Do you mean drill and tap threads in the toe, or do you mean to thread something through the lanyard hole?

I don't want to drill and tap plastic, and I don't want anything that flops around. I like the stock GI sling mount on the M4 stock, because it's rigid and doesn't twist and doesn't let a leather sling twist around itself.

I don't need QD (the M4 sling mount doesn't remove at all).

On the other hand, maybe I can put a sling mount in the side-mount (or just use one of the slots), and set it up just like my M1 Carbine's sling...

I'm still mulling this over,

Bimmer

Bimmer
04-15-09, 00:45
I've taken some measurements on my end...

I've got a set of QD sling swivels on my bolt-action Marlin .22lr. They're 1/8" between the shaft and the base, and 5/16" across.

Now, could somebody please tell me whether the CTR/MOE are more than 5/16" across at that hole at the toe, and whether the material around the hole is more than 1/8" thick?

Thanks in advance,

Bimmer

Jerm
04-15-09, 03:25
Using a measuring tape...

Yes and Yes.

Looks like over 1/2" wide and about 1/4" of material arround the lanyard hole.

Bimmer
04-15-09, 10:54
Thanks, Jerm!

At least now I know that this is probably a no-go...

Back to the drawing board,

Bimmer

jp0319
04-15-09, 14:07
Woody, that's NOT the goddamned toe!

The toe is the rearmost, lowest part of the stock. It's where the GI M4 stock has a built-in sling attachment.

In the first picture that Woody posted you can see the hole I'm talking about in the foreground . Just in front of the bottom of the butt-pad, there's a hole running left-right through the stock. Is that hole not big enough for a QD sling swivel?!

Joe Friday, how thick is the rim around the hole? I'd have to guess, but I think a normal sling swivel is at least 1/4" or 3/8" across, and the gap from the cross-bar to the base is 1/8" or 3/16".
Wouldn't that work? A little dremeling wouldn't ruin my whole day, of course...

Bimmer

Just get a flippin standard issue M4 stock that has what you want, you can't make a ford into a BMW by changing the emblems. The CTR and MOE don't have what you want so get what does or deal with the way the CTR / MOE are configured those are your choices! Yes you could "probibly" dremel your way into making the Unkle Mikes swivel fit there but as you thinned out that area it would get weaker and the swivel may not last in that position for long. Shit you can do damn near anything with a dremel if your willing to accept the consequences.

UVvis
04-15-09, 14:16
I'm not trying to be difficult, but why do you want a sling set in this way? Just curious.

Bimmer
04-15-09, 18:24
Just get a flippin standard issue M4 stock that has what you want...

I've got one now, and I like it, but I'm mounting a scope on top of the carry handle, and I'd like to use the cheek risers that MagPul offers for the CTR/MOE to get a better cheek weld...

Maybe the CTR cheek riser will fit my M4 stock?!

Bimmer

Bimmer
04-15-09, 18:28
I'm not trying to be difficult, but why do you want a sling set in this way? Just curious.

This is how my M14 is set up, and I really like it.

It makes for an fast and stable "hasty" sling for shooting off-hand (this is, IMHO, what a sling is for, not schlepping the rifle around).

On the other hand, my M1 Carbine (which I've shot more than any other long gun, and which feels most natural) has the sling mount on the left side, so maybe I'll just do that with a CTR.

I'm still mulling this over...

Bimmer

jp0319
04-15-09, 18:57
I've got one now, and I like it, but I'm mounting a scope on top of the carry handle, and I'd like to use the cheek risers that MagPul offers for the CTR/MOE to get a better cheek weld...

Maybe the CTR cheek riser will fit my M4 stock?!

Bimmer

but the CTR Cheek riser can get in the way with the charging handle if the stock is not fully extended, but i guess since you have one you know that. I really dont know what to tell ya I assume you have the non flat top M4? There is a QR attachment that fits in the slot under the tube on the standard M4 stock I am not sure who makes it but I know it exists. I doubt the CTR riser would fit the M4 stock unless you went to town with the afore mentioned dremel and maybe not even then.

Bimmer
04-15-09, 19:34
but the CTR Cheek riser can get in the way with the charging handle if the stock is not fully extended, but i guess since you have one you know that.

Yes, I know. This is a non-issue, because I'm long-limbed, and I can only shoot with the stock extended. I only collapse the stock for storage or transportation.

There is a QR attachment that fits in the slot under the tube on the standard M4 stock I am not sure who makes it but I know it exists.

I've got a CAA stock saddle now, if that's what you mean.

I really like it, but it's NOT quick release. It's got tabs that fit in the slots on the M4 stock, but it also screws in. It's also not a riser.

If you mean something else, then please let me know... this would solve my problem.

I doubt the CTR riser would fit the M4 stock unless you went to town with the afore mentioned dremel and maybe not even then.

I think you're right. Just looking at photos, the CTR/MOE slots are a lot deeper and they're oval-shaped.

Still mulling...

Bimmer

jp0319
04-16-09, 08:10
this is not what I originally was referring to but is the same idea. http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Midwest-Industries-MCTAR-10-p/mctar-10.htm
Its an MI piece if I find anything else I'll let you know but it should work for what you want

Bimmer
04-16-09, 17:27
this is not what I originally was referring to but is the same idea. http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Midwest-Industries-MCTAR-10-p/mctar-10.htm
Its an MI piece if I find anything else I'll let you know but it should work for what you want

What's the advantage of something like this over just using the molded-in sling slots on the CTR/MOE?

I don't want my sling mount to actually "swivel," and using the verticle slot along the front of the CTR/MOE buttpad would be similar to a M1 Carbine's sling (which wraps around the verticle oiler in the stock).

Bimmer