PDA

View Full Version : Poll: 1911 rail or no-rail???

QuickStrike
04-13-09, 19:21
I'm thinking about picking one up.

I'm having trouble making up my mind about rail vs. no-rail. I had the standard non-railed version before, and it was freakin' sweet.

Pro's and cons as far as I know.

Railed-
Pro:
Easily takes a surefire X300
Thicker dust cover = less prone to cracking with high volume shooting ???
Current FBI HRT issue (I pretty sure)

Con:
Weight
holster selection
non classic 1911 look

Non-railed-
Pro:
Looks classy as hell
I already have a decent holster for it

Con:
Must modify to take a light, not sure I want to drill into the dust cover...

Frankly I have glock 19's for HD and normal CCW (once I get a permit) and this 1911 would only be a safe queen/training gun and since it's pretty big, I will only carry it in winter clothing so...

Which would you choose?

Shihan
04-13-09, 19:35
I prefer with a rail and its there if you want it. However the non railed feels so much better in my hand on an identical 1911. You can add a Dawson and I was going to add one to something that was just at Springfields Custom Shop but they said they had problems with frames cracking and wont install them.

NCPatrolAR
04-13-09, 21:05
I always default to the railed version of pistols since it is easier for me to mount a light on them.

Alaskapopo
04-13-09, 21:07
Railed. If you buy a holster that works with a railed 1911 it will work with your other standard 1911's. Having a light on a duty gun or a home defense gun is a very good idea.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Semi%20auto%20pistols/IM000889.jpg

Alaskapopo
04-13-09, 21:11
I prefer with a rail and its there if you want it. However the non railed feels so much better in my hand on an identical 1911. You can add a Dawson and I was going to add one to something that was just at Springfields Custom Shop but they said they had problems with frames cracking and wont install them.

I am curious as to why it feels better in your hand because the grip area is not affected by the rail. Do you mean the way it balances?
Pat

David Thomas
04-13-09, 22:22
Frankly I have glock 19's for HD and normal CCW (once I get a permit) and this 1911 would only be a safe queen/training gun and since it's pretty big, I will only carry it in winter clothing so...

Which would you choose?

You say the gun will be a "safe queen/training gun", but you will carry a Glock 19. Why not use your carry gun as your training gun? How much low light training will you do? Do you carry with a light attached to your 19?

When you do carry the 1911 in the winter, if you buy a railed version will you carry it with the light attached?

I have both, but carry a non-railed 1911 everyday. So when I train, I train with a non-railed 1911. For low light trainng, I use a handheld flashlight. My last two 1911 purchases have been without rails.

the1911fan
04-13-09, 22:37
You want that Pro back???
LOL

What I did or do is use the SureFire MR 07 rail adapter, when you want a rail just install very quick and easy and when not just pop it off and use the regular slide stop.

QuickStrike
04-13-09, 23:06
You say the gun will be a "safe queen/training gun", but you will carry a Glock 19. Why not use your carry gun as your training gun? How much low light training will you do? Do you carry with a light attached to your 19?

When you do carry the 1911 in the winter, if you buy a railed version will you carry it with the light attached?

I have both, but carry a non-railed 1911 everyday. So when I train, I train with a non-railed 1911. For low light trainng, I use a handheld flashlight. My last two 1911 purchases have been without rails.

I haven't done ANY low light training, and will probably not have a light on a carry gun anyway. Another 1911 isn't the most practical option for me, I just want a nice 1911!

You want that Pro back???
LOL

What I did or do is use the SureFire MR 07 rail adapter, when you want a rail just install very quick and easy and when not just pop it off and use the regular slide stop.
hehe, still debating if I should get that, or wait for a noveske n4 middy.

Does the surefire rail adapter get in the way of the last round hold open or require fitting?

Surf
04-13-09, 23:38
Depends on your application of the firearm. You already mentioned the most common factors, which are classic look and holster selection.

For my uses, I like railed versions.

the1911fan
04-14-09, 00:05
hehe, still debating if I should get that, or wait for a noveske n4 middy.

Does the surefire rail adapter get in the way of the last round hold open or require fitting?

It dropped right in and worked like it was made for the Pro..on my other SA ( Bob Miller Customized Mil Spec) it is very tight but works just fine...very tight hard to get on and off that gun. The Pro works with every crappy magazine/crappy ammo I've thrown at it. The Pro is the best gun I've ever owned.

QuickStrike
04-14-09, 00:22
It dropped right in and worked like it was made for the Pro..on my other SA ( Bob Miller Customized Mil Spec) it is very tight but works just fine...very tight hard to get on and off that gun.

Will have to look into that for my non-railed 1911's.

The Pro works with every crappy magazine/crappy ammo I've thrown at it. The Pro is the best gun I've ever owned.

Same for me when I had it, glad it's working well for you. :cool:

decodeddiesel
04-14-09, 11:03
I really like the Dawson rail. I find it does not detract too badly from the "classic lines" nor the feel of a non-railed 1911, and allows one to easily mount an X series Surefire.

MarshallDodge
04-14-09, 11:58
I really like the Dawson rail. I find it does not detract too badly from the "classic lines" nor the feel of a non-railed 1911, and allows one to easily mount an X series Surefire.

I voted non-rail just because I tend to be a purist but if you absolutely have to have one then the Dawson would be my choice as well.

JonInWA
04-14-09, 12:32
If you're an LEO/contractor/etc.- along these lines, the answer would appear to me to be simple: Buy along the lines your training/mission dictates.

Otherwise, just get whatever you personally like and index best with.

Best, Jon

TOrrock
04-14-09, 12:38
Get the right holster and you can carry a railed 1911 with no extra work.

I have a Springfield MC Operator that carries just fine in a Kramer #3 IWB. I'm wearing it as I type this actually. :cool:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Springfield%20Armory%20M1911A1%20MEUSOC/SpringfieldM1911A1MCOperatorRig.jpg

markm
04-14-09, 12:38
For WWII reinactments, NO RAIL!!

For actual carry... GLOCK!! :p

VA_Dinger
04-14-09, 12:57
Get rail.

It's better to have and not need.

13F3OL7
04-14-09, 16:10
I have 1911's with and without a rail. I carry my fullsize that doesn't have a rail and the two I have with rails are switched out as my home defense guns. As others have said, I'd much rather have a rail and not need it than need it and not have it.

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-14-09, 16:34
If it is strictly for home defense and going to war, get a rail. For carry I prefer the rail-less frame. My carry these days is a Colt's Officer's Model lightweight. The rail and light work against it as my jogging/every day carry gun.

The_War_Wagon
04-14-09, 16:37
OLD school. ;)

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/Pairo45s.jpg

Alaskapopo
04-14-09, 16:42
If it is strictly for home defense and going to war, get a rail. For carry I prefer the rail-less frame. My carry these days is a Colt's Officer's Model lightweight. The rail and light work against it as my jogging/every day carry gun.

When you need to carry it just take the light off and its just as concealable as a standard 1911.
Pat

ToddG
04-14-09, 21:55
This is being so over-complicated.

If the gun is just for fun, get whatever the hell you want.

If the gun may be for carry, unless you honestly think you'll mount a light on it, get whatever the hell you want. If you do think you'll mount a light, then duh get the rail.

If the gun may be used for home defense, then duh get the rail.

Basically, if you've got any intelligent reason to get the rail, then get the rail. If you don't, then it doesn't matter.

Shihan
04-15-09, 01:08
I am curious as to why it feels better in your hand because the grip area is not affected by the rail. Do you mean the way it balances?
Pat

Exactly.

Shihan
04-15-09, 01:10
For WWII reinactments, NO RAIL!!

For actual carry... GLOCK!! :p

Hey I have a 1940 for your reenactments USGI marked as well:D

mtk
04-15-09, 08:17
Get one of each. :D

VooDoo6Actual
04-15-09, 08:22
Get rail.

+1 Spot on.

R Moran
04-15-09, 10:14
Its not 1940 anymore, get a rail.

Bob

SHIVAN
04-15-09, 10:18
This is being so over-complicated.

If the gun is just for fun, get whatever the hell you want.

If the gun may be for carry, unless you honestly think you'll mount a light on it, get whatever the hell you want. If you do think you'll mount a light, then duh get the rail.

If the gun may be used for home defense, then duh get the rail.

Basically, if you've got any intelligent reason to get the rail, then get the rail. If you don't, then it doesn't matter.

Knocked it clean out of the park!!!

Shihan
04-15-09, 18:14
Its not 1940 anymore, get a rail.

Bob

Majority of my 1911's have a rail however my all original 1940 USGI wont have any mods to devalue the gun.

QuickStrike
04-15-09, 18:47
Thanks for the input gents. I'll just start saving for a non-railed PRO now, and will get a railed one later. :D

Caeser25
04-15-09, 19:42
Get rail.

+1...