PDA

View Full Version : 2 piece free float vs 1 piece free float

txbonds
04-14-09, 10:49
Is there any where that has some comparison information as to how the somewhat newer designed free float rails that are available that clamp onto the existing stock barrel nut compare to more traditional replacement 1 piece free float tubes/rails?

Specifically, I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to remove my FSB to install something like say a YHM Lite Weight Rail, or if I should just put a 2 piece clamp on free float one on like the ones made by MI, Troy, DD and others.

I can't help but wonder how sturdy those clamp on ones really are, and if the bottom piece is subject to rattling once installed.

Thanks for any feedback or leads.

markm
04-14-09, 11:09
2 piece locks up fine. I have a MI. It's really solid, but a little wide.

It's a trade off like anything else. A one piece has less hardware, but it's harder to install or remove.

csun_00
04-14-09, 11:26
I have a MI #18 and I love it. Only thing I have had to do was make sure the bolts had a little red loc tite on them.

txbonds
04-14-09, 11:40
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I had been looking at the MI#21 for my middie. It's a spikes tactical factory build, mid gas system, Sabre Defense 1/7 16" barrel, etc.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3642/3404153599_279c009552.jpg

I've since put on a ergo grip, magpul trigger guard, and at the moment a vltor emod stock. Was trying to narrow down a rail. My prior AR had a YHM Lite Rail on a mid length system, but it was a rifle rail (12 inches) over a low pro gas block. Very nice setup on a noveske 16 SS recon barrel. Foolishly sold it last fall thinking I could buy another one this year when the prices dropped after the frenzy. Doh! They didn't drop, and instead steadily climbed.

So what rail would look nice on this rifle, and provide a rock solid mount? And, should I switch to a low pro block and longer rail as before? decisions, decisions.

Shihan
04-14-09, 15:40
The MI stuff is a good value for the money and the rails are in spec. I have sold alot of YHM rails and do not any more because of this issue. I thought they had this corrected and the one that came attached to my Spikes .22 upper is way oversized.

csun_00
04-14-09, 15:44
I like having at permanent FSB so I went with the standard mid-length MI FF on my Sabre 16" middy, looks great, feels great and shoots even better. Nice color by the was on the lower receiver.

dbldragon
04-17-09, 22:56
... mounting the DD 7" Piston Omega on my carbine. It's a 2 (well, technically 3) piece and it is super solid. Couldn't be happier with it.:D

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

txbonds
04-18-09, 04:41
Sorry, I should have updated this. I started another thread and ended up deciding on giving a DD 9" omega in FDE a try.

Here is other thread: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=29638

Thanks.