PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Do you shoot Wolf ammo?

J Crew
12-29-06, 21:18
just want to get a sense of how many of you shoot wolf ammo and your experience. with ammo prices where they are, i'm really considering it on my next ammo purchase. thanks.

- Jason

militarymoron
12-29-06, 21:22
not any more. never shot the new polymer coated stuff, but i had half a dozen stuck cases with the old lacquered stuff, and one broken extractor claw.

Harv
12-29-06, 21:55
I shot a 1K case of the Polymer stuff last year and it ran thru my Bushmaster like a champ. I very well may pick up 2K for this coming year for training and a class..... Dam price of ammo...

Treehopr
12-29-06, 22:03
I will only shoot Wolf through an AK-runs fine in an SLR95.

I also go out of my way to clean it when I'm done shooting as I've been forewarned that no matter what it says on the box, any ammo manufactured outside of the US is potentially corrosive.

I'll keep shooting it until something better/cheaper comes along :D

baffle Stack
12-29-06, 22:17
I don't buy it but I shoot it if it's givin to me.

miserai
12-29-06, 22:23
i shoot it through my ak and my ar15. the new polymer coated shit runs great. the lacquer coated stuff is iffy in some guns. me and my buddy run tons of it through his m16s and we have FTFs sometimes but when we go to the range we'll run 800-1500rds at a time so running into 5-10 FTFs isnt that bad. ive only had one stuck case with it and that was with my ak, and it was cause i heated it up too much. it wasnt that hard to fix, i just took out the mag, let the gun cool down for a bit then beat the charging handle up against wooden bench till the round came out.

NickB
12-29-06, 22:43
Nope. I'm an ammo snob, I suppose. 99% of the time I run Black Hills blue box through my guns.:D

koalorka
12-29-06, 23:10
Never shot Wolf as it's not as popular here in Canada. I've got a good supply of C77 Ball IVI marked, which is one of the better SS109/M855 NATO rounds out there.

Alpha Sierra
12-29-06, 23:45
Probably about 500 rounds of Wolf polymer through my LMT w/o a problem. Like Harv says, I'll be buying more.

Glockster35
12-30-06, 00:28
I have not yet shot the Wolf crap through any of my firearms, but the AR is going to be the first.

How can one tell if it is polymer or otherwise coated?

gringle84
12-30-06, 01:24
I got just under 1,000 rounds through my Bushy M4 with about 700 of that with wolf, Silver and Golden Bear ammo without a hiccup and the rest Federal etc...

The Wolf pistol ammo seams a lot more dirtier then the rifle ammo, in pistol I use Wolf .380, 9mm. 357 mag and 45 acp for practice and it seem to cause fouling faster then other ammos.

I will still buy and use Wolf and the Bear brands for practice and backup stock, can't beat the price. I refuse to use anyone's reloads no matter what spec's they claim to use. Guess I'll have to get another Dillon setup and start back into doing my own one day soon.

Robert

Dave L.
12-30-06, 01:36
Wolf is all I can afford right now so its all I shoot- shot about 600 rounds of the polymere stuff so far and ZERO problems- I wont shoot the old stuff unless it's through an AK.
The polymere does turn your fingers black from the residue...but it wipes right off.

DBautista
12-30-06, 07:47
Wolf is not bad, I have not had any mechanical failures in my firearms, just a few duds. A few meaning <5.

I mostly shoot the 9mm through Glocks, but have shot .45 in 1911s, and .223 in 55 and 62gr weights. I do like the feeling that the firearms that you own will digest anything that you give it.

The Wolf that I shoot is used for recreational plate shooting and does its job accordingly. I dont shoot Wolf exclusively, it is just a nice supplement to the day of shooting.

Chris Poston
12-30-06, 08:30
I dont but many of the folks I train with shoot Wolf and I have never seen any real problems. I seems dirty but it goes bang.

Yojimbo
12-30-06, 08:50
While I prefer brass cased ammo such as GA Canned Heatfor training, I have shot thousands of rounds of Wolf ammo over the years. I also like to use Wolf as my reliability testing round. ;)

Wolf is not as good a deal as it once was I haven't been buying it for some time.

wargod113
12-30-06, 11:23
I have shot well over 3,000 of the wolf thorugh my AR and my Glock and have not had a problem at all with it. I think the prices are pretty good. I buy my ammo from Midway USA and they seem to have good prices. I have yet to try that new brass ammo that they have.

miserai
12-30-06, 16:34
I have not yet shot the Wolf crap through any of my firearms, but the AR is going to be the first.

How can one tell if it is polymer or otherwise coated?

the case on the polymer coated stuff is like a greyish color. the lacquer coated stuff is a green color that has a red line around the projectile where it meets the top of the case.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d154/lohnennicht/guns/wolf-223.jpg

DBautista
12-30-06, 18:17
I also like to use Wolf as my reliability testing round. ;)

Damn Right... I think ALL quality firearms should cycle EVERYTHING you give it.

Heavy Metal
12-30-06, 18:50
The wolf shoots ok untill you get the weapon really hot!

Remember Campybobs M-4 Grant?

The polymer is worse than the lacquer IMO. The only things wrong with the lacquer were the neck selant and it was less powerful than the polymer.

The polymer generally shoots fine til you puts some brass after it and the poly residue will glue the brass to the chamber when the rifle cools.

See old painless and his test with Wolf poly and South African brass.

My experience confirms his.

the_accuser
12-30-06, 20:12
only in my sks. I use Black Hills, Winchester and Federal ammo in my AR's.

POF-USA
12-30-06, 23:19
WE SHOOT STEEL CASED WOLF AMMO ALL THE TIME THRU OUR GAS PISTON WEAPON SYSTEM. :D
IT'S NOT THE MOST ACCURATE AMMO BUT IT'S CHEAP TO SHOOT AND I PREFER THIS AMMO OVER OLD SURPLUS.
WE ALSO USE THE STEEL CASE WOLF 62 GR. AMMO IN 3 GUN SHOOTS. :)
BEST REGARDS,

www.POF-USA.com (http://WWW.POF-USA.COM)

http://www.pof-usa.com/DSC02430.JPG

12-31-06, 01:08
I’ve heard Wolf lacquered ammo causes problems so I avoided using it until I found out I needed to be at a range the following day with 1500 rounds and only had 500. I borrowed 1000 rounds of Wolf from the department and didn’t have any problems that were ammo related. I did have a problem with the bolt sticking, but that was a lubrication problem as far as I could tell and that was after about 1000 rounds had gone through it. I pulled the bolt apart, lubed it back up and it worked just fine. That was the first time I’d ever fired a case and a half of bullets through my AR in a few hours on the range so I learned a valuable lesson about how short a time period lubrication lasts when the gun gets really hot.

I have had my share of FTF in .40 Cal. though. In fact I stopped putting dummy rounds in the mix because I was getting enough remedial action drills just using Wolf ammo. I concur that it’s not nearly as accurate and seems to dirty up my handguns more than other ammo.

gplg
12-31-06, 15:43
Haven't had any problems with Wolf in my AR's. My Glock 23 didn't seem to like it too much. Had a few FTEs.

HAMMERDROP
12-31-06, 16:26
Nope. I'm an ammo snob, I suppose. 99% of the time I run Black Hills blue box through my guns.:D

But also shoot Remington 5.56 55gr - my other 1% ...

rsilvers
12-31-06, 16:30
No, it is not NATO pressure. I only use M193, M855, Mk262, or NATO TAP.

D. Fortier
12-31-06, 17:09
I shoot lots of Wolf......mostly .223 Rem, 9x19 and .45 ACP....

Dan GSR
01-01-07, 21:11
have almost 3,000 rounds of wolf 55gr FMJ thru my bushmaster
had some problems in the beginning, turned out to be my mags
after getting magpul followers...its been 100%
just ordered 2,000 more rounds

Voodoochild
01-01-07, 22:10
I tried shooting it but my RRA didn't like it very much stuck cases and FTF problems made me give it all away. I wish it did play nice with my RRA as it is cheap. But on a lighter note I gave it away to gotm4 since he does free work on people's firearms. It was the least I could do.

No, it is not NATO pressure. I only use M193, M855, Mk262, or NATO TAP.

Must be nice!!! I wish I could shoot nothing but the good stuff.

VA_Dinger
01-02-07, 10:16
I have not shot a single round of Wolf in over five years, but I'm going to start. Ammo is getting damn expensive and it's hard to ignore the good reviews the new stuff is getting.

Plus I need to buy some for my 5.56mm AK.

jem375
01-02-07, 11:40
Only shoot the Wolf in my SKS and AK, don't like to shoot crap in my ar's....

Dan GSR
01-02-07, 12:59
i do notice they use too much primer sealant
and that crap gets all over the bolt face

Alpha Sierra
01-02-07, 15:13
i do notice they use too much primer sealant
and that crap gets all over the bolt face
No different than the Lake City M2 Ball I shoot through my M1 rifle. Leaves a red ring on the bolt face that doesn't hurt reliability and rubs off in a few seconds with a wire brush.

Dport
01-02-07, 17:13
I have not shot a single round of Wolf in over five years, but I'm going to start.
I don't know why, but this struck me as funny.

I just broke out the old Ceiner kit. I figure it's good for presentation drills.

Dan GSR
01-02-07, 17:46
No different than the Lake City M2 Ball I shoot through my M1 rifle. Leaves a red ring on the bolt face that doesn't hurt reliability and rubs off in a few seconds with a wire brush.

no, mine gets really thick layer of the stuff
the extractor is usually completly filled with it

Obiwan
01-03-07, 11:21
Only in my AK's

But a whole lot of it there!

TOrrock
01-03-07, 11:36
I shoot tons of it, but I only shoot steel cased Russian ammunition in weapons designed by Russians.

The brass cased Prvi Partizan M193 marketed by Wolf has been 100% in my 5.56mm AK's, and about 99% in my Colt AR's.

Army Chief
01-03-07, 11:40
Not a fan. Guess my name goes on the official "ammo snob" list, too.

Chief

BoyScout4Life
01-03-07, 22:04
I use it all the time in my AK and SKS but not in any AR I own. ;)

Ross
01-04-07, 01:35
I shoot it out of the 7.62 and 5.45 AKs.

.223 rifles I shoot brass. Mainly because I prefer it for the AR, but also because of avoiding a mix up.

It's alot easier to tell the difference between steel cased 5.45 and brass cased .223. If I kept both .223 and 5.45 in steel around, I'd eventually get something mixed up and it would be much harder to catch if they're all steel cases. With one caliber brass, and the other steel, it's easier to catch a mix-up, and it's harder to get mixed up in the first place.

I thought such things would never happen to me, but recently I found a 9x18 Makarov round in one of my 9mm mags. I didn't notice because the 9x18 that got stuck in there was brass cased, JHP, just like the 9mmP ammo that was in there. I didn't notice the shorter round when I loaded the mag, and because it was all brass and all JHP, it looked somewhat similar. Thankfully, I didn't shoot it, and it was a strange circumstance that caused me to hand unload the mag, but it was fate working there.

Someone was teaching me a lesson, and I paid attention!

Needless to say, I have checked all my other mags, and I'll be doing something similar with the 9mmP and 9mm Mak ammo (brass only/steel only)/

rob_s
01-04-07, 06:27
I've been using the brass-cased Prvi Partisan stuff and have been very happy with it. I believe I'm going to order up a good supply of it to stuff in the ammo cabinet, and I may just pick up some steel cased stuff as well. I have never had a problem in several thousand rounds of steel cased, both 55 and 62 grain, in my Colts, but it just feels wrong. I suspect that feeling will ebb as the price of propper ammo soars.

Dan GSR
01-04-07, 11:12
as long as the wolf stuff is half the price of xm193
i'll shoot twice as much of it :D

honestly i haven't even shot a single round of 5.56 thru my bushmaster yet, only 223

UNIT 6639
01-09-07, 06:50
I stopped shooting Wolf because my local shop that I buy all my ammo from stopped selling it.

If I can find Wolf in the shops in my area I would buy as much as I could afford! It ran fine in my AK and my AR!

Batt 57
01-18-07, 08:57
I have been shooting the lacquer stuff in my SAR-1 without a problem. I plan on trying it it the new M4 I am going to build. Any suggestions on were to buy the stuff online? Ammoman has it for $189 shipped.

Chief1942
01-18-07, 20:58
Have run a lot of the Wolf Polymer through my Stag M4gery. I do agree that it doesn't like it when the rifle gets real hot, but have had minimal problems with it.

Semper Fi!

Kisara
01-19-07, 00:07
Silly rabbit, WOLF is for kids!

http://i12.tinypic.com/40pwqqb.jpg