PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a mid-length DD Omega?

SecretAgentMan
04-15-09, 09:13
I'm about to pull the trigger on a mid-length (9.0") Daniel Defense Omega. Is anyone on the board using one, and are you happy with your purchase? I was originally leaning toward the Larue rail, but I don't want to remove my FSB, and it sounds like the Omega is pretty stable/solid, despite my reservations on this point.

HiggsBoson
04-15-09, 09:48
Grant put a DD Omega 9 on my BCM mid-length for me. I preferred the Lite, but it was unavailable at the time. The Omega is cheaper by 25 bucks, attaches differently, and is a bit heavier. Rob_s has a chart (http://tacticalyellowvisor.net/69016/69058.html) comparing the different rails by weight and dimensions.

The Omega makes my middie a bit too front-heavy for my taste, even without anything but the FSB on it. Adding more weight out on the front (light, VFG, etc) would exacerbate this. With a heavier stock (I currently have an EMOD on it) it balances out decently. A stock that's light like a CTR makes it nosedive a bit. Nothing major, but enough to make me want to make some minor changes to my plans for this middie in order to address it.

That minor issue aside, I am pretty impressed by the Omega. I am fairly well convinced that I could hammer nails with my Omega and it would not even notice (not that I would want to, obviously, but the Omega feels that sturdy). It also seems to (subjectively) dissipate heat a bit better than my YHM rail, but that could be due to other factors.

In summary, though it's not quite as light as some of it's brethren, the Omega is a very sturdy FF rail that allows users to install it relatively easily with no modification to the FSB or D-ring. Mine also came with 3 ladder-style rail covers, which can come in handy.

N2CH_556
04-15-09, 09:49
Planning on going the Omega 9.0 route myself since I have a perm-pinned Vortex hanging off the end of my middy.

The only experience I have with that rail is playing with one at a local shop, and I LOVED the really slim profile and how lightweight it is.

I'm sure there are actual users who will be along shortly to confirm that it's GTG.

SecretAgentMan
04-15-09, 10:17
Thanks for the input, guys.

st_judas: I'm going to be using a Magpul UBR stock, which is about a half-pound heavier than a CTR. Hopefully that will help balance out the rifle.

Rider79
04-15-09, 10:21
I have 2 9.0 Omegas, and 2 7.0. I love them. Easy to install, should take you about 10 minutes. I have an Emod on my midlength, and it balances out for me. I run it with a Tangodown VFG and a surefire G2 in a VTAC mount. One of the carbines has a CTR, and the other has a MOE stock, with Aimpoints in cantilever mounts. The balance seems fine on those as well, but I don't have anything hanging off the front. They're safe queens (one is for my 5 yr old son someday) so I couldn't tell you how they handle shooting. I do all my shooting with my BCM midlength with the Emod. That 9.0 is in FDE, which I like the color, but if you order it, don't expect Magpul FDE, it looks more like mud.

Palmguy
04-15-09, 10:22
Thanks for the input, guys.

st_judas: I'm going to be using a Magpul UBR stock, which is about a half-pound heavier than a CTR. Hopefully that will help balance out the rifle.

I just switched from a CTR to a UBR on my middy with 12" Omega, it certainly does help to balance it out in my opinion.

Fringe
04-15-09, 10:43
I have two omegas one 7 and one 9 and love them both. I am holding out for the lite rail to come in for my new BCM middy from Grant. I am anxious to compare and contrast the two to see which I like best.

C45P312
04-15-09, 10:43
I myself just ordered a 9in Omega as well on monday. So I'll be sure to post up my impressions here shortly. Hopefully it will come in either thursday or friday.

mattjmcd
04-15-09, 10:50
I run a mid-length Omega on one of my rifles (also built by Grant:D) and it has been just fine- very solid and good build quality. I like the fact that it is noticeably thinner across the beam.

Rider79
04-15-09, 10:55
I have two omegas one 7 and one 9 and love them both. I am holding out for the lite rail to come in for my new BCM middy from Grant. I am anxious to compare and contrast the two to see which I like best.

I also have the BCM midlength upper with the DD lite 12 factory installed. I like that the Omega has the built in QD swivel attachment, which the Lite doesn't. I have the DD lite 12 set up with an Emod as well, which makes for a pretty heavy gun, compared to my middy with the 9.0 Omega. I haven't actually weighed them to see the difference.

Fringe
04-15-09, 11:00
I also have the BCM midlength upper with the DD lite 12 factory installed. I like that the Omega has the built in QD swivel attachment, which the Lite doesn't. I have the DD lite 12 set up with an Emod as well, which makes for a pretty heavy gun, compared to my middy with the 9.0 Omega. I haven't actually weighed them to see the difference.

Rider,
Do you prefer one over the other assuming they were both the same length? If you could have one 9" rail which would you choose between the two?
Thanks!

Rider79
04-15-09, 11:04
Rider,
Do you prefer one over the other assuming they were both the same length? If you could have one 9" rail which would you choose between the two?
Thanks!

Hmm. If the Lite rail had the QD swivel attachment I'd probably say the Lite, it just seems more heavy duty, with the way it attaches. But I like the ease of install with the Omega and the QD attachment point. Its a little slimmer too, I think, but I'd have to look. So I'm gonna say the Omega.

bullitt5172
04-15-09, 11:33
Grant put a DD Omega 9 on my BCM mid-length for me. I preferred the Lite, but it was unavailable at the time. The Omega is cheaper by 25 bucks, attaches differently, and is a bit heavier. Rob_s has a chart (http://tacticalyellowvisor.net/69016/69058.html) comparing the different rails by weight and dimensions.

The Omega makes my middie a bit too front-heavy for my taste, even without anything but the FSB on it. Adding more weight out on the front (light, VFG, etc) would exacerbate this. With a heavier stock (I currently have an EMOD on it) it balances out decently. A stock that's light like a CTR makes it nosedive a bit. Nothing major, but enough to make me want to make some minor changes to my plans for this middie in order to address it.

That minor issue aside, I am pretty impressed by the Omega. I am fairly well convinced that I could hammer nails with my Omega and it would not even notice (not that I would want to, obviously, but the Omega feels that sturdy). It also seems to (subjectively) dissipate heat a bit better than my YHM rail, but that could be due to other factors.

In summary, though it's not quite as light as some of it's brethren, the Omega is a very sturdy FF rail that allows users to install it relatively easily with no modification to the FSB or D-ring. Mine also came with 3 ladder-style rail covers, which can come in handy.

The Omega is actually lighter than the Lite rail. They may be very close when you take the barrel nut as I don't remember if they include that weight with the Lite rail. Both are excellent but the weight difference is negligible at best.

Omega 9" - 9.7 oz
Lite 9" - 11 oz

Gingerkid
04-15-09, 11:53
I too have a 14.5" with perm attach. The middy DD omega worked great. Easy install, solid, and I really like the integral QD mount. That's another $30 or whatever I don't have to spend.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii45/GingerKidPhotos/EBR-1.jpg

Fringe
04-15-09, 13:03
Hmm. If the Lite rail had the QD swivel attachment I'd probably say the Lite, it just seems more heavy duty, with the way it attaches. But I like the ease of install with the Omega and the QD attachment point. Its a little slimmer too, I think, but I'd have to look. So I'm gonna say the Omega.

Thanks Rider. Anyone else chime in and disclose what they prefer between the DD Omega 9 and the Lite Rail 9?
Thanks.

Surf
04-16-09, 13:42
I just put together a rifle for a buddy after he waited on, and collected parts. He purchased the 12" lite rail. Very nice rail set-up. My personal preference is to keep the FSB but that is user choice and he went the other route, no biggie. To me the rail weight itself is no biggie either. The 12" lite rail, still isn't light so to speak, but for the amount of rail you get, it does seem light.

Then I added a Surefire M900A, and a CQTMK4, so the rifle isn't exactly light. ;)

Biggy
04-16-09, 19:36
I have an Omega 9 inch rail on my Noveske basic middy in socom brown. IMHO this is the best compromise rail system out right now, for me. It is very lite, plenty strong ,and what i like,it is very narrow(1.900 ), even when adding rail panels.You also have the QD swivel socket with the rotation limiter. The only other rail i would consider would be the Daniel Defense Omega X in the 9 inch , which is the same width, but they do not make it yet. Daniel Defense definately hit a home run with the Omega rail .

A-Bear680
04-17-09, 07:59
I mounted a 9 inch Omega on my middie a couple weeks ago and just ordered another for my wife's gun. According to the "Rail Systems " chart at www.tacticalyellowvisor.net , the mounted 9 inch Omega ( including stock barrel nut , h/g cap & delta ring) wieghs 1.23 oz more than the Lite or the M4. I think that the slimness , integral QD swivel mount , and easy installation makes it a good trade-off. The mounting process is pretty simple. About the only thing that can go wrong is misalinement caused by slightly uneven tightening. That's easy enough to fix--it turns a 10 minute job into a 15 minute job. I just backed the locking screws out a little and stabilized the rail with a Larue mount before tightening again. The next time I'll do that from the start .

mmike87
04-17-09, 10:51
I have two and they both work, look, and feel great IMO.

Trumpet
04-17-09, 11:12
Glad I found this thread, I was about to post a similar question. I have two BCM Middy uppers. I also have a Sabre middy with a DD 9.0 Lite rail and it's great.

So the Omega seems every bit as solid as the Lite? I do like that installation is easy on the Omega. If I go with the Omegas I don't want to regret it. FWIW, I do plan on runnign ACS stocks when they come out.

N2CH_556
04-17-09, 12:52
I mounted a 9 inch Omega on my middie a couple weeks ago and just ordered another for my wife's gun. According to the "Rail Systems " chart at www.tacticalyellowvisor.net , the mounted 9 inch Omega ( including stock barrel nut , h/g cap & delta ring) wieghs 1.23 oz more than the Lite or the M4. I think that the slimness , integral QD swivel mount , and easy installation makes it a good trade-off. The mounting process is pretty simple. About the only thing that can go wrong is misalinement caused by slightly uneven tightening. That's easy enough to fix--it turns a 10 minute job into a 15 minute job. I just backed the locking screws out a little and stabilized the rail with a Larue mount before tightening again. The next time I'll do that from the start .

If you have a Lite or M4 rail and add a rail-mounted QD swivel point, you're adding about an ounce. So, the weight differences between the Omega & Lite/M4 becomes even more negligible at ~.23 ounces. :eek:

matthewdanger
04-17-09, 14:05
I have an Omega 9.0 and a 12.0 and they have both served well. Install was a breeze, I like the "oval" profile, they aren't overly heavy, and the price is pretty competitive. They have a lot going for them.

RSS1911
04-17-09, 14:26
This is my first and only rail, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I'm very satisfied with mine ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/ronssmith/Guns/20090128a014.jpg

A-Bear680
04-19-09, 19:41
If you have a Lite or M4 rail and add a rail-mounted QD swivel point, you're adding about an ounce. So, the weight differences between the Omega & Lite/M4 becomes even more negligible at ~.23 ounces. :eek:
Yeah , pretty sweet.
I think that , fit , wieght and balance are significant considerations in a defensive shoulder gun for anyone , but especially for a petite female.

sdcromer
04-19-09, 21:50
This is my first and only rail, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I'm very satisfied with mine ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/ronssmith/Guns/20090128a014.jpg

What kind of knife is that?

RSS1911
04-19-09, 22:06
What kind of knife is that?

It's a Strider EBL-S.

bkb0000
04-19-09, 23:13
The Omega is actually lighter than the Lite rail. They may be very close when you take the barrel nut as I don't remember if they include that weight with the Lite rail. Both are excellent but the weight difference is negligible at best.

Omega 9" - 9.7 oz
Lite 9" - 11 oz

they dont include the barrel nut weight in the omega weight- the omega increases the weight of the rifle overall by like 1 or 2 ounces more than the lite, IIRC. totally negligiable, especially when you factor in the omega's much slimmer profile. very nice to grab hold of

A-Bear680
04-20-09, 10:45
Good question:

Glad I found this thread, I was about to post a similar question. I have two BCM Middy uppers. I also have a Sabre middy with a DD 9.0 Lite rail and it's great.

So the Omega seems every bit as solid as the Lite? I do like that installation is easy on the Omega. If I go with the Omegas I don't want to regret it. FWIW, I do plan on runnign ACS stocks when they come out.
"...as solid as the Lite?..."
Dunno , I don't have enough experience to answer that for sure.
I do have some very serious doubts that the Omega with it's 4 pins ( etc.) can ever be "just as good as" the Lite when it comes to staying solid under brutally hard use.

I'm betting that the 2 Omega 's will be good enough for my familiy's home defense needs , in my neighborhood.
Kind of like the Aimpoint C3 , the H-1 Micro , or the Larue Po'boy's , not "just as good " -- but about as much I can afford.

mjpsyr
04-20-09, 14:32
I also have the DD 9 inch Omega on a BCM middy. Excellent product in my opinion. Easy to install and a very solid piece of gear. I have had it for about 6 months, it has stayed tight and solid with moderate use over that time. Would buy another and recommend it for anyone else.

Trumpet
04-20-09, 17:00
Howzabout DD Lite 9.0 vs the LaRue 9.0?

txbonds
04-20-09, 17:33
Just installed a SOCOM one on my mid length spikes tactical with sabre defense barrel. It was easy enough to attach to the barrel nut, but I'm not thrilled with how the color differences look between receiver and rail, and also not thrilled with the delta ring being visible.

That said, I am not sure if I'm going to keep it or go with something else. Got to give this a little time to see if it grows on me.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=29638&page=3