PDA

View Full Version : Rem vs. Win in "basic rifle" format? Thoughts on which is better?

mattjmcd
04-15-09, 10:46
If one had a choice between a rack-grade Win Mod70 ( Extreme Weather, Shadow, or similar) and a Rem700 (BDL or similar), which would be the better choice? Assume a standard chambering (30-06, .308, or maybe even .270 or .243) and a requirement for good accuracy (not necessarily "precision" accuracy) out to about 400yds.

A buddy is thinking of getting into hunting with his brother (who lives in Utah) and he knows even less about rifles than I do. When he asked for advice, I didn't know what to tell him except that Remington and Winchester were good starting points. Frankly, I don't know enough about either platform to recommend one over the other. Is one noted for better accuracy? Build quality? Tunability?

Solomon
04-15-09, 10:55
You will always be able to build a top-notch custom rifle off of the basic Remington 700 action. Many custom rifles are centered around it. The parts availability is unlimited.

Dave L.
04-15-09, 11:00
These threads usually turn into people recommending what they own and like.

I'm sure both guns would shoot roughly the same out of the box with good ammo.

Most people usually choose the Remington 700 actions simply because there are so many after-market parts and accessories for them, besides being high quality with time-tested reputations.

I also believe due to overwhelming popularity of the Rem 700 action, there would be more gunsmiths who know their way around them.

If your friend plans on only adding a scope, then either would make a fine weapon. If he plans on having any custom work done and or adding aftermarket parts, go with the 700.

Just my $.02

mattjmcd
04-15-09, 11:19
I doubt he would do much to it, given his experience level (almost nil) and his intended use for the rifle.

Dave L.
04-15-09, 12:16
I doubt he would do much to it, given his experience level (almost nil) and his intended use for the rifle.

If he is on a budget, a Savage will shoot just as well as the rest. The only thing you really sacrifice is a smooth action.

If he's not on a budget, tell him to get a rifle that comes with an aluminum bedding block stock. They really help keep a consistent zero.

*I own both Remington 700s and a Savage 110.

JStor
04-15-09, 18:08
I'm a Winchester 70 aficionado for several reasons. If your friend doesn't know the difference between the mentioned rifle models, it probably doesn't matter what he gets, so I suggest he handle some different ones at a gun shop.

mattjmcd
04-15-09, 19:30
I'm a Winchester 70 aficionado for several reasons. If your friend doesn't know the difference between the mentioned rifle models, it probably doesn't matter what he gets, so I suggest he handle some different ones at a gun shop.

Ah ha! Do you mind if I ask what those reasons are?

JStor
04-16-09, 16:20
The short of it is this: I like the massive integral recoil lug and wide flat bedding area that prevents firing torque from loosening the receiver in the bedding. I like the trigger. It is simple and functional. I like the bolt assembly, including the "Classic," Pre-64 or push feed. It can be easily field stripped by placing the three position safety in the middle position. For more information on features, you can google, "January 2009 Precision Shooting," and there's a detailed article on various features of the Model 70 Classics as compared to Pre-64s. Thanks.

mattjmcd
04-17-09, 09:59
Exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for. I'd be curious to know if one platform is known for better out of the box accuracy, or bbls that group more consistently, or whatever.

Dave L.
04-17-09, 10:27
Exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for. I'd be curious to know if one platform is known for better out of the box accuracy, or bbls that group more consistently, or whatever.

You should become a member over at Sniper's Hide and ask the same questions.
There are many technical gurus over there who can answer you questions.

The only Model 70 actions I see are the ones use on the FN rifles.

DocGKR
04-17-09, 13:07
There are more accessories available for the Rem 700 and it is far more common as a precision rifle; however, the Win 70 is probably a better field rifle for the reasons mentioned by JStor.