PDA

View Full Version : Heads up on Magpul MBUS

Kimbo
04-15-09, 16:49
MBUS available at DSGARMS.com!

http://dsgarms.com/index.cfm/category/127/sights.cfm?CFID=493480&CFTOKEN=214f2e706fd0dd7e-ABB58E77-2BF4-1417-65A09066DD8F37D7

kwelz
04-15-09, 17:11
Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered one of these for my new 9MM carbine. I hope they are as good as all the other Magpul stuff I have.

BVickery
04-15-09, 17:13
Got a MBUS on my AR build right now. It may not look to sturdy but it is.

RogerinTPA
04-15-09, 17:15
MBUS available at DSGARMS.com!

http://dsgarms.com/index.cfm/category/127/sights.cfm?CFID=493480&CFTOKEN=214f2e706fd0dd7e-ABB58E77-2BF4-1417-65A09066DD8F37D7

And they're gone!

Kimbo
04-15-09, 17:18
The Dark earth front and rear are still available and so are the black rear's.

CaptainDooley
04-15-09, 17:18
They don't seem to have black in stock... sad day.

Buckaroo
04-15-09, 17:22
Dark Earth version still available.

Buckaroo

Kimbo
04-15-09, 17:23
They don't seem to have black in stock... sad day.

If you go on the site, click on "sights" and scroll down to the dark earth sights. Click either the front or rear and on the page on the bottom you will see the black rear MBUS. Happy hunting :D

mvician
04-15-09, 17:29
And they're gone!

They are listed on the "sights" page ;)

http://dsgarms.com/index.cfm/category/127/sights.cfm

Steelblitz
04-15-09, 17:49
Thanks for the notice! Grabbed a rear one in FDE. 3 remaining parts to find and my latest SBR will be done.

SoDak
04-15-09, 18:08
They must have sold out of them. Not the worst thing for me since I had just made another order out to DSG for some other stuff since I figured the mbus would be out later than this. Now I have time to collect the money for one. BTW, I didn't see any price listed since they were out of stock, what did you guys end up paying for them?

losbronces
04-15-09, 18:11
They must have sold out of them. Not the worst thing for me since I had just made another order out to DSG for some other stuff since I figured the mbus would be out later than this. Now I have time to collect the money for one. BTW, I didn't see any price listed since they were out of stock, what did you guys end up paying for them?

$56.79 for the rear.

dutch308
04-15-09, 18:13
Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!! Missed them.

SoDak
04-15-09, 18:15
$56.79 for the rear.

Sounds like a decent price. Guess I'll try for one from whoever gets them next.

mvician
04-15-09, 18:24
That didn't take long :eek:

Items Ordered
-----------------
MAGPUL Back Up Front Sight (MBUS) - Dark Earth (#MAG245-DE): 1
Item Total: $39.15

MAGPUL Back Up Rear Sight (MBUS) - Dark Earth (#MAG246-DE): 1
Item Total: $56.79

====================

Subtotal: $95.94
Shipping (U.S.P.S.Priority Mail): $7.05
Total: $102.99

CaptainDooley
04-15-09, 18:26
w00t!

Items Ordered
-----------------
MAGPUL Back Up Rear Sight (MBUS) - Black (#MAG246-BLK): 1
Item Total: $56.79

They were listed for $30 something, then pulled and relisted for the $56.79... good thing I'm stubborn and kept refreshing...

cpekz
04-15-09, 19:51
Looks like they're all sold out.

ROADKING
04-15-09, 20:00
I dont think i would want to trust a plastic buis for reliability, I will stick with my irons, There is no way they could be as strong as iron.

DRich
04-15-09, 20:37
I dont think i would want to trust a plastic buis for reliability, I will stick with my irons, There is no way they could be as strong as iron.

Then I guess you won't be trusting the frame in your new Glock? Ever seen how much abuse a PMag can endure? I'm sure the MBUS will be tough enough.

ROADKING
04-15-09, 20:41
The glock is a one piece frame and the buis is a 2 piece and has moving parts it just dont sound durable to me, thats just my opinion, what happens if it gets a good bump, the mounting is problably plastic too.

DRich
04-15-09, 20:53
The glock is a one piece frame and the buis is a 2 piece and has moving parts it just dont sound durable to me, thats just my opinion, what happens if it gets a good bump, the mounting is problably plastic too.

You should do a little research before you spout off. The sight is held open via spring tension and is designed to deflect / bounce back to it's position if it takes a knock. It's also mounted with a metal screw and nut.

ROADKING
04-15-09, 20:57
Glock has proved its reliability, I guess this buis will have to do this in time also but i feel more secure with a iron site, stronger, like a troy.

FiveStar
04-15-09, 21:20
Missed it! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Dunderway
04-15-09, 21:21
They were cheap enough for me to take a gamble. It seems a lot of people spend over $100 on other folding BUIS's just to find out that they should have bought a Troy.

Given reputation, I'm willing to give MagPul the benefit of the doubt.

FiveStar
04-15-09, 21:40
From what I read there will be more out there soon, even on the magpul website. I saw a rear one today at the local shop I an m&p AR and it was very very nice.

Kimbo
04-15-09, 23:02
I can't wait to get some karate chop action on these sights haha. I'm sure they will be more than enough for what my applications as far as durabilitiy. Given the fact that these are "back up" sights, I'm not too worried about them breaking. And I'm sure if these things weren't great Magpul wouldn't make them and sell em. Have no fear, and if they are crap well I guess theres still the option of getting some troys or brand x buis :D.

jtskier11
04-15-09, 23:08
Has anybody measured to see how much chunkier the MBUS is versus say the ARMS #40 or Troy rear battle sight?? Curious.

yallknowho
04-15-09, 23:10
the MBUS looks cool but the front sight doesn't have a detent like the regular m4 FSB or most other BUIS.

Steelblitz
04-15-09, 23:40
Given reputation, I'm willing to give MagPul the benefit of the doubt.

Exactly! They have yet to dissapoint me.

Country DeVil
04-15-09, 23:50
does anyone know if these are going to show up in OD Green?

CaptainDooley
04-17-09, 18:19
Just got my black rear in... Looks really nice and solidly built... now if only I owned an M4 upper to put it on... That should arrive Tuesday so we'll see how installation goes then...

BVickery
04-17-09, 18:28
IF you love the PMag because of its form/function and durability, the MBUS i have on my AR feels a lot more sturdy and robust than the PMAG loaded into it.

I'm heading to the gun shop tommorrow and will try and get those who asked for comparisons to the A.R.M.S and the Troy sight (if I remember).

ROADKING
04-17-09, 18:50
I love the pmags so if there anything like those they should be good to go.

Plink
04-17-09, 19:35
the MBUS looks cool but the front sight doesn't have a detent like the regular m4 FSB or most other BUIS.

You are correct. The sight post screws into the base. There is a post you install to secure it once you get it sighted in.

FDE rears were still available on DSG Arms a few minutes ago.

CobraBG
04-17-09, 19:52
I'm impressed with my other Magpul accessories and have been planning to get the Troy BUIS... the MBUS looks nice. As others have asked, I wonder how it compares to the more expensive Troy?

ST911
04-18-09, 11:24

I've been pretty rough on the MBUS set I got a couple weeks ago, and now have some trigger time on them. They are doing well. More detailed AAR to follow.

If you haven't seen this thread, here's my first thoughts and some mechanical info on them: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=28752&highlight=MBUS

FiveStar
04-18-09, 12:35
thank you got and FDE for the Scar

Steelblitz
04-18-09, 14:14
+1 to DSG for fast shipping, got mine today.

After looking the MBUS over, I'm not sold on it. Soley from an aesthetics aspect, I just don't care for the looks of it. I'm leaning towards keeping my ARMS 40l. One thing Magpul can do is clean up the backside of the flip up portion of the site. I have my own molding and casting business on the side, and me personally, I wouldnt make that side of the site with a rough extrusion finish. It just looks 'rough' seeing the extrusion marks and flashing.

For the price though, and what I'm sure is bound to be a durable unit from owning other Magpul products, it is the best bargain out there for a backup sight.

Heres some semi-blurry pics compared against an ARMS 40l for a size reference:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r266/Steelrat2006/IMG_3361.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r266/Steelrat2006/IMG_3363.jpg

Heigth wise, they are about even:
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r266/Steelrat2006/IMG_3362.jpg

ROADKING
04-18-09, 20:02
I dont like how you can see all the springs in them they look like a RAT TRAP. I wouldnt want any of them.

Gentoo
04-19-09, 00:02
Nice pics. It is about the size I thought it would be.

E98T
04-19-09, 00:19
I dont like how you can see all the springs in them they look like a RAT TRAP. I wouldnt want any of them.

You can see the springs on any rear sight; especially the ARMS versions. I think they could do a better job cleaning the castings from them but I am still pleased with the results.

mvician
04-19-09, 01:43
Glock has proved its reliability, I guess this buis will have to do this in time also but i feel more secure with a iron site, stronger, like a troy.

I love the pmags so if there anything like those they should be good to go.

make up your mind :confused:

Have you seen any in person or just pictures?

Mine arrived today and I'm very pleased and impressed.

ZDL
04-19-09, 07:25

Read this before you post again.

http://tacticalyellowvisor.net/14401/73895.html

Dave L.
04-19-09, 07:44
..it's funny how it takes one person to **** up a good thread.

mildot
04-19-09, 09:19
Anyone know who else might have them for sale?

Dave L.
04-19-09, 09:25

I'm guessing we are about 2 weeks away from seeing more dealers having them in stock.

ROADKING
04-19-09, 09:32
You can see the springs on any rear sight; especially the ARMS versions. I think they could do a better job cleaning the castings from them but I am still pleased with the results.

You cant see no springs in my TROY.

Wichard20
04-19-09, 09:48
i am going pick one of these up for my new upper once I find one in stock, looks like a great product, it is magpul is it not

mildot
04-19-09, 09:50
I thought that they would have shown up on at least one more site?

ROADKING
04-19-09, 09:52
make up your mind :confused:

Have you seen any in person or just pictures?

Mine arrived today and I'm very pleased and impressed.

Yes magpul makes good products !

No i dont like the looks of these at all !

And yes glock has proved there reliability !

Yes i have seen and touched them in person !

the_1iviper
04-19-09, 12:32

there were some for sale over on the silencertalk forum.i ordered a set thursday night,should be here early next week.he said it was his last set but he was getting another shipment hopefully monday.they were $125 shipped.if anyone is interested i can give you his info,it's the first time i've purchased from him but he seems like good people.

i don't believe he is a vendor on this site so i don't know if i can post his contact info up here,if it's ok let me know and i'll post it up for everyone.otherwise pm me if you want his contact info.

Iraqgunz
04-19-09, 16:51
I ordered a set of MBUS's the other day in FDE from DSG Arms for less than 100.00 and they arrived the other day. Thinking about sending them over to try to get a T&E done.

olds442tyguy
04-19-09, 18:03
Yes magpul makes good products !

No i dont like the looks of these at all !

And yes glock has proved there reliability !

Yes i have seen and touched them in person !
We know you don't want them. You've made it obvious multiple times, now move along.

Ring
04-20-09, 14:28
just got this

At this time I do not show us receiving and order for any of the MBUS sights from Magpul. As there production increases and they begin to keep up with the demand I'm sure we will start to see these sights become more readily available. Thank you.

Ryan Keller
Brownells Customer Service
200 South Front Street
Montezuma, IA 50171
Phone: (641)-623-5401 Ext.5324

Brad519
04-20-09, 17:21
I received my Magpul FDE rear sight from DSG today.
I have to say that I am very happy with the design and plan on getting a black one for another rifle as soon as I can find one. Just my two cents.
I wonder why DSG got so many and nobody else has them yet.

uspopo
04-20-09, 17:39
I have 2 sets that I purchased from Magpul directly and have been very pleased with the quality. Next is to sight them in and see how they hold up with some trigger/training time but I intend on ordering another 3 sets for my Larue Stealth, RobArm XCR, and Addax/PWS GPU from a vendor when they are finally available.

pinkejon
04-20-09, 23:47

I ordered from Streichers. Its seems they are backordered as well. Here is the pricing, part #'s and the website. These are the black sights

Order Lines
MPI-246.K MBUS: REAR Follding Backup Sig 1 EA 55.99
MPI-245.K MBUS: FRONT Follding Backup Si 1 EA 37.99
FRT Shipping, Handling & Insurance 1 EA 10.99

104.97 Total

http://www.policehq.com/

Dunderway
04-20-09, 23:51
Just got mine from DSG. Seems very robust, with very little movement for being made from polymer.

mvician
04-21-09, 09:45
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/WarPig/MBUS015.jpg

kwelz
04-21-09, 12:32
I got mine today. Very nice. A little bigger than I thought but not so much that I see it as a problem.

One interesting thing is that it when deployed it sits back further than my ARMS #40. this makes it easier to use a Strikefire along with the magnifier.

SoDak
04-21-09, 16:13
Does anyone know if the apetures are same plane or not?

sdcromer
04-21-09, 17:13
I just ordered a rear MBUS from Bravo Company. AIM also has them in stock but you have to call to order - good luck.

Kimbo
04-21-09, 19:49
I just got my MBUS in the mail today. After an inspection, I'm not all that excited with it. After a few karate chops, I grew tired of it. It's for sale now.

kwelz
04-21-09, 19:50
I just got my MBUS in the mail today. After an inspection, I'm not all that excited with it. After a few karate chops, I grew tired of it. It's for sale now.

If it is a black rear site I may be interested.

ST911
04-21-09, 22:02

Did you buy it expecting it to be something more, less, or different? What was compelling enough about it to order, but not keep on arrival? More info?

Kimbo
04-21-09, 22:09
Well I must confess I am a compulsive buyer. If it's new and popular I will buy it to see what the fuss is about. I did enjoy the fact that it was under $100 for a rear sight. It is rather large and the peep/O2 sight is less than spectacular to me. I dunno maybe I'm just old school. I really like the Troy BUIS compared to the Magpul MBUS. I would rather sell it to someone else who actually wants it then have it sit in my desk drawer and see posts about how people wish they weren't out of stock. To each their own.

Brad519
04-22-09, 18:02
Black rear sights are available at DSG right now.

http://dsgarms.com/index.cfm/product/2291_127/magpul-back-up-rear-sight-mbus---black.cfm

pinkejon
04-22-09, 18:55
I got mine ordered. We'll see if it comes or gets backordered. My luck lately has been backordered. Thanks for the heads up. Let me know if the front sights come in. wish me luck.

Brad519
04-22-09, 19:34
They've only been putting them on the site with the price when they were in stock so you should be good to go. I ordered one in FDE last week and it shipped the next day. Ordered a black one for another rifle and one for a friend who hates computers.
I'm a fixed front sight guy so can't help you with the front sight.:cool:

Wichard20
04-22-09, 19:49
thanks for the heads up, picked one up :D

pinkejon
04-22-09, 20:20
Thanks again for the heads up. I think I may have found the front sight, but they are currently closed and will not take web orders. I will hopefully have the front sight ordered tomorrow. Then I need to cancel my order from Streichers.:D

rugburn
04-23-09, 07:30
If you need a complete set, try these guys. http://mooneysfirearms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=147&HS=1

They appear to have 5-packs of black window-less Pmags in stock too. You'll have to call about the MBUS though, not on their web page as far as I could tell. They were at a local gun show last weekend and had about 50 pairs of MBUS in stock on Saturday. All I need is the rear sight, so didn't do me any good.

Alex F
04-23-09, 09:48
I have two questions for people using these:

What's the weight difference compared to metal BUIS and how sturdy are they, IE, if they take a knock do they shift position at all?

I know polymer is durable, but it can be bent/distorted... I'm wondering if the sight plane would be affected by this (I'm not worried from a breakage point of view, just sight plane shifting).

buddyhoohaw
04-23-09, 10:08
Any leads on availability of a rear MBUS in FDE?

Cheers

Dave L.
04-23-09, 12:01
Does anyone happen to know why only a couple select dealers got these first?

I wonder if any of the site sponsors here will have them soon?

tactical_cowboy
04-23-09, 12:06
Finally got one ordered, now I can get my rifle finished... Thanks!

Brad519
04-23-09, 12:38
I have two questions for people using these:

What's the weight difference compared to metal BUIS and how sturdy are they, IE, if they take a knock do they shift position at all?

I know polymer is durable, but it can be bent/distorted... I'm wondering if the sight plane would be affected by this (I'm not worried from a breakage point of view, just sight plane shifting).

By just holding the MBUS and a Larue BUIS in my hand I say the MBUS is slightly lower in weight but no major difference.
As far as sturdy I believe its pretty damn sturdy. Once it's tightened down there is no movement or shift what so ever.
Haven't put any rounds through it using the MBUS yet but it doesn't seem like it would have any shifting.

Brad519
04-23-09, 12:39

Cheers

I got a FDE from DSG last week so just keep checking their site. Haven't seen the FDE on any other sites yet.

Alex F
04-23-09, 13:25
By just holding the MBUS and a Larue BUIS in my hand I say the MBUS is slightly lower in weight but no major difference.
As far as sturdy I believe its pretty damn sturdy. Once it's tightened down there is no movement or shift what so ever.
Haven't put any rounds through it using the MBUS yet but it doesn't seem like it would have any shifting.

Thanks, I'll have to see if I can find a dealer locally with them so I can get some hands-on.

dutch308
04-23-09, 19:00
Ordered mine from bravocompany on Tuesday evening and they shipped this morning.

bates
04-24-09, 15:42
brownells now has mbus

i had 2 black sets on back order and they just shipped

just need the last piece of the puzzle, an ACS stock and i will be done building for a while

Dave L.
04-24-09, 15:48
I ordered a Rear MBUIS (Black) from DSG yesterday; shipped today.

Dave L.
04-24-09, 15:53
brownells now has mbus

i had 2 black sets on back order and they just shipped

just need the last piece of the puzzle, an ACS stock and i will be done building for a while

Do you have a link?

bates
04-24-09, 16:04
no sorry just wan email confirmation

100-004-169 MAG245-AR-15 MBUS FRONT-BLACK 2 39.99 79.98
100-004-173 MAG246-AR-15 MBUS REAR-BLACK 2 57.99 115.98

those should be the correct part numbers if you call in your order

ICE1811
04-24-09, 16:41
Just called it in. Thanks for the part numbers. They are not on the site.

$83.37 SHIPPED for front and rear.

LEO price.

Just cancelled my order from AIM.

Thanks again.

randolph
04-24-09, 18:04
palmetto SA has MBUS in stock. they list all the colors but I didnt check anything but the black I bought :D

og556
04-24-09, 19:05
I ordered a rear MBUS from Bravo Co. for my bushmaster m4a3 and it should be here next week.

I apologize if this is a thread drift but I have a quick question about these sights on my rifle.

Will I have any problems zeroing this rear sight with the non "F" marked front sight on my rifle ?

I plan on zeroing in the irons first when I get the MBUS and then zeroing the eotech 512 after. I am hoping this set-up will allow me to co-witness the eotech.

Infidel1975
04-24-09, 19:13
Do you have a link for Palmetto SA? Thanks in advance.

ICE1811
04-24-09, 19:16
palmetto has black only.

Phazuka
04-24-09, 19:40
Palmetto doesn't allow you to enter a color for the front site so they must be out of stock.

supersix4
04-24-09, 19:55
got a couple of rear MBUS sights from Magpul, they are a great value

RojasTKD
04-24-09, 21:33
I saw a S&W AR sporting MBUS at last weekends gunshow and was very impressed. The look very solid and high quality. They look much better in person than in pictures. After seeing it and handling it in person, I'm sold.

mkemmerl
04-28-09, 14:47
US Armorment says they will have black MBUS on the 30th.

Anybody have a line on an FDE rear?

mildot
04-28-09, 14:50
Saw a couple of sets on Gunbroker?

FiveStar
04-28-09, 14:55
Yep GB!

The_War_Wagon
04-28-09, 15:00
I ordered a Rear MBUIS (Black) from DSG yesterday; shipped today.

You & me both! Ordered mine on Monday - tracking number thru USPS just came in this afternoon! :D

Boomer10
04-28-09, 15:15
I just ordered a set in black from Area 51 Tactical (http://store.a51tactical.com/), they said they have 7 more in-stock.

FiveStar
04-28-09, 15:47
a51tactical.com has them right now.

Boomer10
04-28-09, 17:40
That's the same site.

They're out of the rear sights and have 6 front sights left (according to their site).

FiveStar
04-28-09, 18:41
sold out, that was fast

CobraBG
04-28-09, 19:12
Is this a better BUIS than the Troy or is it just less expensive? I posted back on page 2 wondering how it compares to the Troy. After reading all of the other posts and seeing some pictures it looks kind of big. I've been waiting to get the Troy and I may continue to wait. Can anyone post pics of the MBUS next to a Troy BUIS?

FiveStar
04-28-09, 19:17
I think the biggest thing is how super light they are. That is a big deal for the guys in the sandbox (from what I hear, cmiw). The price and fact you can karate chop them is also GREAT. I live mine! Pick a pair up on GB before they are gone. They are not that big at all and fit nicely under my eotech magnifier.

dialM4murder
04-28-09, 19:39
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/8573/0000050a.jpg
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/1937/0000048.jpg

ROADKING
04-28-09, 20:23
Wouldnt trust a plastic site.

ZDL
04-28-09, 20:26

Are you still on with this? Sounds like axe grinding to me.

Your lane: Get back in it.

ROADKING
04-28-09, 20:28
:D:D:D:D

DocHolliday01
04-28-09, 20:29

I would never trust a plastic magazine either :rolleyes:.

ROADKING
04-28-09, 20:30
I know guys that wouldnt either.

SHIVAN
04-28-09, 20:48

Move on then. You are serving no purpose in this thread.

ROADKING
04-28-09, 20:54
;);););)

ROADKING
04-28-09, 20:55
SHIVAN must be grant.????? I just enter my opinion like everybody else, If thats the case then nobody has no purpose here.

SHIVAN
04-28-09, 21:06
SHIVAN must be grant.????? I just enter my opinion like everybody else, If thats the case then nobody has no purpose here.

Unfortunately for you, other infractions combined with the one above mean you get a small vacation from the forum. When you come back, please decide if you'd like to contribute more positively.

Thanks.

Derek_Connor
04-28-09, 21:11
Anyone had a chance to run this through a long week of shooting? Or atleast a weekend course? Big Bore Rifle?

dialM4murder
04-28-09, 21:15
Anyone had a chance to run this through a long week of shooting? Or atleast a weekend course? Big Bore Rifle?

Yeah I too would love to see them get beat around a bit. They seem quite robust though.

C4IGrant
04-28-09, 21:17

Why in the world would you think that SHIVAN & I are the same???

C4

jeffreywt
04-28-09, 21:24
I don't have any experience with the sights but I like how the price is down to earth!

:)

mvician
04-28-09, 21:27
That guy is a pain on every forum I've seen him on....

Hopefully this coming weekend I can get some time in with my plastic sights :D
Got a few new mags to test out also.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/WarPig/MBUS008.jpg

dialM4murder
04-28-09, 21:32
I don't have any experience with the sights but I like how the price is down to earth!

:)

Yes Indeed. The price is definitely right.

Kimbo
04-28-09, 23:19
Why in the world would you think that SHIVAN & I are the same???

C4

Maybe he thinks it's a Face/Off kind of Forum :p

Magsz
04-28-09, 23:25
Ill be running these in a class in June.

I ran the rear MBUS sight in a basic class a month ago and it held up just fine.

No unwanted deployment when it was folded down, no nicks, dings scrapes or broken parts.

They're really quite robust but i DO understand some peoples concerns.

Here is the way i see it though. If the sight is folded up, if it takes a knock hard enough to break it, honestly, whether its plastic/polymer or metal the sight is probably going to break either way.

ST911
04-28-09, 23:31
Can anyone post pics of the MBUS next to a Troy BUIS?

Here you go.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j18/Skintop911/MBUS/TroyMBUSDownL.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j18/Skintop911/MBUS/TroyMBUSUpL.jpg

I ran them in a week long carbine class, using and abusing them. They did well, and are still doing well since. AAR is in progress.

Brad519
04-28-09, 23:57

Cheers
DSG has FDE in stock right now. Front and Rear. Better move quick.

http://dsgarms.com/index.cfm/product/2292_127/magpul-back-up-rear-sight-mbus---dark-earth.cfm

Country DeVil
04-29-09, 00:01
how about OD Green?

Brad519
04-29-09, 00:03
how about OD Green?
I have only seen Black and FDE for sale so far.

mkemmerl
04-29-09, 10:36

http://dsgarms.com/index.cfm/product/2292_127/magpul-back-up-rear-sight-mbus---dark-earth.cfm

Thanks for the heads-up! You get a free beer next time I'm in MS or you're in NE Ohio.

13F3OL7
04-29-09, 14:31

Thanks as well for the heads up.

Brad519
04-29-09, 16:07
Glad I could help out.
Maybe I can help out with the BCM or LMT bcg when they are available. Of course after I lay my hands on one. :cool:

Left Sig
05-13-09, 21:19
I just got a rear MBUS. I like it so far, but just looking at the two apertures when folded together, it appears to me that they are NOT in the same plane. I assume they use the A2 offset. I'l have to test them to make sure, though.

CaptainDooley
05-13-09, 21:27
I'm a bit of a noob to ARs, are most rear sight apertures on the same or different planes? What difference does it make?

Left Sig
05-13-09, 22:01
The standard A2 sight has the two apertures on different planes. The standard practice is to sight in the small aperture at 25 meters, which is also a 300 meter zero. Switching to the larger aperture changes the zero for closer range shooting from 0-200 meters.

The overall effect of changing apertures on an A2 sight changes the point of impact up or down by a few inches.

The problem with the two different planes is that a 300 meter zero has a large arc to the bullet trajectory, and tends to shoot high at intermediate ranges. A 200 meter zero is often better, because it results in a relatively flat trajectory that allows.

A same plane sight allows you to have the same zero for both apertures. You simply select which one you need based on lighting conditions (bigger aperture on low light), or range (close range gets bigger aperture). It also allows both apertures to be cowitnessed with a red dot sight. A same plane sight with a 200 meter zero is my preferred setup.

CaptainDooley
05-13-09, 22:36
Great information. Thank you. I have a set of these and zero'd the small aperture in at 200m, as I had read that is more useful... But what does that mean if I swap to the larger aperture?

Left Sig
05-14-09, 00:47
Great information. Thank you. I have a set of these and zero'd the small aperture in at 200m, as I had read that is more useful... But what does that mean if I swap to the larger aperture?

Depending on the offset, if there really is an offset, your point of impact will be a bit lower with the large aperture. Try both and see where the POI is for each aperture.

ST911
05-14-09, 10:54
The MBUS apertures are not same-plane. I haven't mic'ed them or done a direct comparison with an A2 setup, but my perception is that they have more deviation between apertures than the A2. That's pending.

I'd be content if there was only one aperture on the MBUS. Size it to be half the difference between the large and small. I suspect that most would be satisfied with that.

I use only the large aperture on any conventional A2 or BUIS.

Country DeVil
06-22-09, 23:49
anyone know when we are going to see more of these?

carl15
06-23-09, 00:56

Here.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Magpul_MBUS_Flip_Up_Adjustable_Rear_Sight.html

chadbag
06-23-09, 01:16
I have a few sets of black and FDE in stock

PM me if interested as they are not on the website

chad
eguns.com

C4IGrant
06-23-09, 07:50

We have them instock & on our website.

C4

rob_s
06-23-09, 08:48
I posted a bunch of pics and initial impressions on my site here (http://tacticalyellowvisor.net/8301/111221.html) and will be updating as I get a chance to get to the range with them.

(click the pics for bigger versions)

One thing I noticed right off is that if mounted fully to the rear the rear sight seems to have a potential to encroach on the charging handle. I'd be inclined to run it one more notch forward.

http://tacticalyellowvisor.net/mediac/400_0/media/DIR_111421/Both$20Rear$20Folded$20$28Custom$29.jpg (http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/website/Magpul%20MBUS/BothRearFolded.jpg)

Apertures definitely not same-plane. I'm thinking of chopping off the little one.

http://tacticalyellowvisor.net/mediac/400_0/media/DIR_111421/MBUS$20Rear$20Sam-Plane$20$28Custom$29.jpg (http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/website/Magpul%20MBUS/MBUSRearSam-Plane.jpg)

MBUS and Troy, front and rear, folded & deployed

http://tacticalyellowvisor.net/mediac/400_0/media/DIR_111421/All$20On$20Rail$20$28Custom$29.jpg (http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/website/Magpul%20MBUS/AllOnRail.jpg)

http://tacticalyellowvisor.net/mediac/400_0/media/DIR_111421/All$20Deployed$20-$20angle$20$28Custom$29.jpg (http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/website/Magpul%20MBUS/AllDeployed-angle.jpg)

ST911
06-23-09, 11:19
One thing I noticed right off is that if mounted fully to the rear the rear sight seems to have a potential to encroach on the charging handle. I'd be inclined to run it one more notch forward.

I made the same initial observation, but found that the problem didn't materialize when I ran them in a class (and since). That includes both the CHs with the standard and extended latches.

Apertures definitely not same-plane. I'm thinking of chopping off the little one.

I would like to see a single aperture sized to half the difference between the large and small. In the interim, I use only the large.

Nope, definintely not the same plane, and the deviations between them only loosely approximate the deviation between the large and small on their A2-type counterpart.

CarlosDJackal
06-23-09, 12:34
Never mind. Move along, nothing to see here. :P

Stephen_H
06-23-09, 13:02
We have them instock & on our website.

C4

Just grabbed another one in black. Thanks Grant!

Stephen

militarymoron
06-23-09, 14:05
MBUS and Troy, front and rear, folded & deployed

http://tacticalyellowvisor.net/mediac/400_0/media/DIR_111421/All$20On$20Rail$20$28Custom$29.jpg (http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/website/Magpul%20MBUS/AllOnRail.jpg)

http://tacticalyellowvisor.net/mediac/400_0/media/DIR_111421/All$20Deployed$20-$20angle$20$28Custom$29.jpg (http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/website/Magpul%20MBUS/AllDeployed-angle.jpg)

one thing i noticed on mine as well, and is more evident in your comparison pics is the shorter height of the MBUS front sight vs. the troy. this requires the front sight post to be screwed out quite a bit, exposing a lot of thread. the FSP on the MBUS is at the level of the ears, which provides a different than 'standard' sight picture (if you're used to having the FSP lower relative to the protective ears) and i'm wondering if it can expose the FSP to the possibility of damage if it's actually higher than the top of the ears.
personally, i'd have liked the whole front sight a bit taller so that the FSP sat lower relative to the ears.

rob_s
06-23-09, 14:08
Yeah, I agree MM. One of the pics I meant to take but didn't was some back-to-back deployed of the MBUS with themselves and the relative MBUS with the Troys.

rmecapn
06-23-09, 17:03
personally, i'd have liked the whole front sight a bit taller so that the FSP sat lower relative to the ears.

It's nice to know I'm not alone in both my experience with the MBUS front sight and wishing the whole sight was taller.

Quiet-Matt
03-13-10, 15:47

http://tacticalyellowvisor.net/mediac/400_0/media/DIR_111421/MBUS$20Rear$20Sam-Plane$20$28Custom$29.jpg (http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/website/Magpul%20MBUS/MBUSRearSam-Plane.jpg)

I too thought of chopping off the little aperature, but I went ahead and disected the sight assuming that the large aperature was the one that was threaded.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_5kA3JwNkBxc/S5wB_HPsEAI/AAAAAAAAFDk/uFZN-TwaFZs/s512/DSC00748.JPG
I drifted out the roll pin that retains the windage knob and pulled it off.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_5kA3JwNkBxc/S5wCB0-JrQI/AAAAAAAAFDo/wTdWD6YKuTc/s512/DSC00749.JPG
Un-screwed and removed the rear aperatures...
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_5kA3JwNkBxc/S5wCDWppuNI/AAAAAAAAFDs/M1uJK8AsCyk/s512/DSC00750.JPG
And re-assembled...minus the small aperature.
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_5kA3JwNkBxc/S5wCEabgsJI/AAAAAAAAFDw/AxF6EsFCTl8/s512/DSC00751.JPG
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_5kA3JwNkBxc/S5wCFdfiCsI/AAAAAAAAFD0/lgVTkVIEdMI/s512/DSC00752.JPG
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_5kA3JwNkBxc/S5wCGHlPQJI/AAAAAAAAFD4/2VEmMiPp1KM/s512/DSC00753.JPG
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_5kA3JwNkBxc/S5wCGxkR5kI/AAAAAAAAFD8/jrvc5whZlgA/s512/DSC00754.JPG
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_5kA3JwNkBxc/S5wCH4X2czI/AAAAAAAAFEA/d32-tw6ILCI/s512/DSC00755.JPG
Took 5 minutes and I can throw it back on there later if I decide I need it. ;)

JBecker 72
03-13-10, 16:17
I think Im gonna have to do that soon ^

ST911
03-13-10, 16:56
I too thought of chopping off the little aperature, but I went ahead and disected the sight assuming that the large aperature was the ont that was threaded...Took 5 minutes and I can throw it back on there later if I decide I need it. ;)

Great post.

JBecker 72
03-13-10, 17:04
Yeah, I literally just finished this, and it took 3 minutes max.
I used a caliper to measure where the sight was located and set it back to the same dimensions so hopefully my zero should be the same.

FiveStar
03-13-10, 17:36
That is pretty sweet guys. Thanks for showing this and the info you provided.

lethal dose
03-13-10, 17:44
Although not same plane, they are accurate. Just gotta shift your head a little. I look at it this way... they are what they are... BACK UP sights. They are plenty sufficient, in my opinion.

FiveStar
03-13-10, 18:13
Perhaps one thing to note as well is that the MBUS are lighter than other iron's which I think is important as pounds equal pain.

Quiet-Matt
03-13-10, 18:59
Although not same plane, they are accurate. Just gotta shift your head a little. I look at it this way... they are what they are... BACK UP sights. They are plenty sufficient, in my opinion.

I agree, but I never use the small aperature. So, now if my AP fails me I have a back up that is even more basic and fool proof than before.

Patriotme
03-13-10, 21:09
I ordered a couple of MBUS last week from DSG.
If it doesn't look like they have what you want (like black MBUS) then call them and make sure. I wanted two sights, one in green and one in black, they got the black one even though it wasn't listed. If another site has a lower price you might mention that too. Be ready to back it up though. No BS on another company's pricing.
I am very happy with the service from these guys. I've used them 3 or 4 times and there's no doubt I'll order from them again.

lethal dose
03-13-10, 23:03
I agree, but I never use the small aperature. So, now if my AP fails me I have a back up that is even more basic and fool proof than before.
Good point.