PDA

View Full Version : CCJA Precision Rifle Course

BWYoda
04-15-09, 16:52
Whilst on leave at the end of February I did a Precision Rifle course in VA through Commonwealth Criminal Justice Academy (CCJA). I’ve known Tom Perroni for a few years now both as a fellow IC and firearms instructor and have done several courses with him during this time. These have primarily been AR and pistol-based courses so this was my first venture into the precision bolt-action world.

The course in question was run by a couple of adjunct instructors Chris and Tyler through their Company ACTS. Both are former USMC Scout-Sniper instructors, and the course was run over two days at CCJA’s range facility just outside of Fredericksburg.

The onus was very much hands on with the morning of the first day given to a review of the fundamentals of marksmanship, ballistics and optics relating to the discipline, then it was off to the range. Chris provided me his FN SPR with a Mk4 LR/T free of charge and after confirming zero at 100 we spent the rest of the time at ranges between 200-500 yards.

By the end of day one I felt completely comfortable behind the rifle as we were shown to adopt a completely relaxed prone position. I was also initiate in properly milling the target even though it was a KD range. Particular emphasis was placed by both Chris and Tyler on us being able to call our shots and correct for them and on the proper use of range cards. I also took away a lot of new and useful information about the scopes themselves, in particular parallax adjustment, correct magnifications etc.

For someone with only a rudimentary bolt-action background, the course was an excellent introduction both in terms of the skills which need to be mastered and getting an idea of the kit involved. The instructor/student ratio at 1/1 couldn’t be beaten! At $600 – excellent value for money.

glock_forty5
04-15-09, 19:14
What was the required equipment for the course? How many rounds and what type? I know most precision shooters perfer to roll their own where I am a buy the best I can afford kind of guy.

TIA,

John

BWYoda
04-15-09, 19:52
Hey John. The round count over the two days was 300. Both of us were using .308s. As for the equipment - loaner rifle, backpack to shoot off of, spotting scope, data book etc - all pretty basic stuff. As for the ammo - Lake City match M118 175 grn which shot just fine out of the FN. My partner was using Black Hills as I recall.