PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question

markdeerhunter
12-30-06, 09:55
What does SPR as in "SPR barrel" stand for?

K.L. Davis
12-30-06, 10:54
Originally it stood for Special Purpose Receiver, as the Special Purpose Rifle was something different -- but as the later project sort of died off, today SPR is used to designate that Special Purpose Rifle as type classified the Mk12 (series) rifle. It is a modified AR/M16 type rifle, designed for accuracy... perhaps the most noticable feature being the unique 18" barrel design.

This is a real SPR (Mk12 Mod1) receiver:
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1356/sprmod1fg9.jpg

markdeerhunter
12-30-06, 11:15
Would that length barrel with mid length gas be a good all around combination or would the extra barrel length cause it to be too cumbersome?I want a rifle mainly for range use and possibly some varmint hunting.Would the 1:8 twist be good for a wide range of bullet weights?Or would I be better off with a 16in barrel?

K.L. Davis
12-30-06, 11:37
Would that length barrel with mid length gas be a good all around combination or would the extra barrel length cause it to be too cumbersome?I want a rifle mainly for range use and possibly some varmint hunting.Would the 1:8 twist be good for a wide range of bullet weights?Or would I be better off with a 16in barrel?

Not sure what would be too cumbersome for you really... the 20" rifle has been in use by infantry troops for a long time if you think about it, but the carbine does have a role as well.

In any case, you want as much barrel as you are comfortable with (within reason)... barrel length equals MV.

As for the 18" barrel, there is a gas system designed specifically for that barrel, it is between a mid-length and rifle system and it hits the sweet spot for that barrel.

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/5950/778smallub8.jpg

The 1:8 is (imho) the best choice for ROT for an all around, do everything rifle.

markdeerhunter
12-30-06, 13:07
Not sure what would be too cumbersome for you really... the 20" rifle has been in use by infantry troops for a long time if you think about it, but the carbine does have a role as well.

In any case, you want as much barrel as you are comfortable with (within reason)... barrel length equals MV.

As for the 18" barrel, there is a gas system designed specifically for that barrel, it is between a mid-length and rifle system and it hits the sweet spot for that barrel.

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/5950/778smallub8.jpg

The 1:8 is (imho) the best choice for ROT for an all around, do everything rifle.
Thanks for the reply.I have my eye on a CMMG 18in SPR upper.Is CMMG high quality?

K.L. Davis
12-30-06, 16:30
Thanks for the reply.I have my eye on a CMMG 18in SPR upper.Is CMMG high quality?

I am trying to think of a nice way to answer this...

markdeerhunter
12-31-06, 05:36
I am trying to think of a nice way to answer this...
Don't keep me hanging.I have read conflicting reports on CMMG and I understand everyone has opinions and I know what they're like (opinions that is) but one more couldn't hurt.:D