PDA

View Full Version : Who hear uses the TT MAV while using strong side hip holster

T-Dog
04-16-09, 20:07
I got an email back from tactical tailor regarding a question I asked about using a standard owb strongside holster with it and they said "it is unlikely that it would be readily accessible". I have seen plenty of people using the universal skb rig with a standard holster among many other chest rigs and I don't really see the difference as long as you keep that side of the chest rig clear of too much crap. What is your take.

jtb0311
04-17-09, 01:19
I've been using a hip holster and a TT MAV over armor for several years with no problems. I think it depends on several things; my build is one - the proportion of my torso to legs is pretty even. Someone with longer legs and a shorter torso might ave difficulty. I think it's important to not put too much stuff on the MAV or whatever set up you're using, and to actually wear it as a chest rig; I think a lot of people wear chest rigs too low.

If a regular hip holster doesn't work, blade tech offers a belt holster with a slight off set and drop. I've ordered one but haven't received it yet, so I can't speak to its effectiveness.

Impact
04-17-09, 01:43
I've been using a hip holster and a TT MAV over armor for several years with no problems. I think it depends on several things; my build is one - the proportion of my torso to legs is pretty even. Someone with longer legs and a shorter torso might ave difficulty. I think it's important to not put too much stuff on the MAV or whatever set up you're using, and to actually wear it as a chest rig; I think a lot of people wear chest rigs too low.

If a regular hip holster doesn't work, blade tech offers a belt holster with a slight off set and drop. I've ordered one but haven't received it yet, so I can't speak to its effectiveness.

+1 on wearing the rig as a "chest" rig and not too low. works great for me.

Hawkeye
04-17-09, 10:01
A lot is going to depend on what type of holster you have/how its positioned, and what all you have on the sides of your rig. If you have a fairly high riding holster, and a foot locker of a pouch mounted on the side of your rig directly over it, then yeah, it will be a problem. In the pic below I was running a G-Code holster in its middle adjustment position on my regular pants belt, and had no issues drawing my handgun. I didnt have big/bulky pouches on the side on my MAV though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Training/Steve%20Moses%20Carbine/Johnmoses3.jpg

T-Dog
04-17-09, 10:22
Thanks for the pic, it seems as though you might have it a little further back then I normally carry but if that is what it takes I can get used to a slightly different position. I was planning on leaving that side free and clear in order to give my weapon a free and clear path other then the strapping. Do you ever hang up on your webbing or is it low profile enough to stay clear.

GLB
04-17-09, 10:47
I use a mini MAV from TT and that works good with my owb holster and with my duty belt. With my set up the strap that goes around my body is directly above my handgun but has not been a problem with my draw of the weapon. I do reconmend that you wear the rig up high on your chest. TT makes good stuff.

N2CH_556
04-17-09, 12:04
I use a mini MAV from TT and that works good with my owb holster and with my duty belt. With my set up the strap that goes around my body is directly above my handgun but has not been a problem with my draw of the weapon. I do reconmend that you wear the rig up high on your chest. TT makes good stuff.
A mini-MAV user? Sweet!

From what I've seen, the mini-MAV rides real high on the chest (not near the waist) and the torso-straps are thin webbing (no padding). Looks like it may be possible to run a strong-side IWB (RCS Phantom) with the mini-MAV without issue. What do you think???

Civi here, so this would be for class. Thanks.

V/R,
n2ch_556

GLB
04-18-09, 18:37
A mini-MAV user? Sweet!

From what I've seen, the mini-MAV rides real high on the chest (not near the waist) and the torso-straps are thin webbing (no padding). Looks like it may be possible to run a strong-side IWB (RCS Phantom) with the mini-MAV without issue. What do you think???

Civi here, so this would be for class. Thanks.

V/R,
n2ch_556

With the Mini Mav the torso strap buckle is above the handgun. When I draw the base of my thumb makes some contact with the plastic buckle. This is really not a problem but I do feel the contact. To fix this I reroute the torso strap up over the bottom of the shoulder strap and connect the buckle. This puts the torso strap, buckle up higher and clear on the draw. For a right handed shooter if the torso buckle was on the left side it would not be a issue.