PDA

View Full Version : Gas port/ site alignment on new rifle afer repair?

MAUSER202
04-16-09, 23:07
I just got my new M4 back from the manufacturer after they repaired it because of a very loose quad rail assembly. It looks like they removed the front site pins and pushed the front site back towards the reciever a little over a 1/8" or so then re pinned it. I have not had a chance to test fire it and I was wondering if this could/would afect the gas port alignment with the front site/gas block. It did tighten up the rail, but I also now have a ring on the barrel in front of the site that looks un parkerized. I am hoping to shoot it Saterday. Should I worry abouy this or just wait to see how it works? Is this a normal repair procedure?
I would call the manufacturer but last time it took a couple of days to get through to them, and if this is a normal repair and it works I dont want to bother them.

Thanks for any opinions.

Col_Crocs
04-17-09, 02:53
pushed back by 1/8"?? I think the unparked ring is just finish taken off from the FSB removal and not the FSB being pushed back as this would have required cutting in new grooves for the FSB pins.
Had the same ring on an old Bushy M4 barrel that had a FF YHM on it.
THey may have just taken off the FSB to put in a new handguard cap.

bkb0000
04-18-09, 17:30
yea.. thats basically impossible.. you cant drill new pins 1/8th away from old ones, and your gas port would disappear..

dont sweat it

theJanitor
04-18-09, 18:08
pics?

MAUSER202
04-18-09, 22:09
I shot it today and it ran fine. When I measured it against my LMT, the front site was about 1/8" back compared to the LMT. I guess being a mechanic I dont always trust other people to fix my stuff, and I tend to look for what they could have screwed up. It ran with no problems so I wont worry about it .
Thanks for the replies.