PDA

View Full Version : Single mag performance in a double mag pouch?

T-Dog
04-17-09, 09:47
I am sure that some of you have read my other post asking many questions on my top three chest rigs but to simplify it I will ask about one specific concern.
Of the three mentioned rigs how well does each perform if I only choose to carry one mag in each pouch (say for training and classes) but have the option of adding more if the stuff really hits the fan. Am I looking for too much versatility here?
TT MAV with Essec toaster pouches (not firm on pouch for this one)
Eagle/SKD Universal
Eagle M4 6Mag LE
how well does each perform carrying

JSGlock34
04-17-09, 20:05
I think single mag retention in the two center pouches of the SKD/Eagle Universal rig is questionable, particularly depending on your activity level. It'll work fine standing on the firing line and blazing away, but running or shooting from an unconventional position will risk losing a magazine. This is why bungee retainers are one of the most common user mods to Universal rig.

I don't have the Eagle M4-LE pouch rig, but I do have an Eagle triple magazine shingle on my plate carrier. The flap pouches will perform the same whether you have one or two mags in there. If you are looking at the M4-LE, you may also want to consider the Eagle CP223 chest rig. It has four single pouches for rifle magazines, along with two pistol magazine pouches. It's also cheaper than your other choices, but I think it's a great rig to figure out what works for you and what doesn't. It is simple and lightweight, but you sacrifice customization as it has no PALS webbing. However, I also find that PALS webbing can sometimes interfere with my drawstroke from a sidearm on the belt - the slick CP223 does not interfere with my belt holster though. If I'm using the Eagle Universal, I tend to favor a Safariland 6004 drop leg holster.

http://www.eagleindustries.com/images/D/395_Alt_1.jpg?1218074610982

T-Dog
04-17-09, 20:22
Thanks for the write up on those. On the .223 that you have pictured would a single stack .45 or two fit in the pistol pouches.
Do all of the rigs you have used with webbing on the side tend to get caught up on the "draw".

JSGlock34
04-17-09, 21:22
I'll try the single stack .45s in the CP223 and get back to you. I'm sure one would fit - I've never doubled those up though - I usually run Glock 17 magazines in it. Unfortunately my CP223 is also my loaner rig - another forum member has it right now.

I think the issue of getting hung up on the PALs webbing is really dependent on the rig and the person's physique. I have a thinner build, so the chest rigs tends to come further around to my sides, putting the PALS webbing right next to my pistol. On others it might not come around far enough to cause problems. Wearing a rig higher can help alleviate this. If you can try before you buy, take advantage of it. This is one of the reasons I recommend trying out one of the simpler rigs with built-in pouches before trying out an all MOLLE rig...get an idea of your preferences before you spend a lot of money assembling a custom rig.

Kimbo
04-18-09, 01:01
The mag retention on Eagle mag pouches are gtg. Running around in MOUT towns and doing rush ranges, I never lost a mag. As long as you have that velcro flap over it your GTG.