PDA

View Full Version : Huge possible problem! I need input.

lmurtha1
04-17-09, 11:51
First i want to say hello, Im a regular on this site browsing but I just recently registered! Ok I have a pretty big problem that could possibly occur very soon. I am going to be drafted to the NFL and as some may know it is next weekend. I currently own an M4 sbr suppressed as well as a sig p220 combat suppressed and a 9mm HK suppressed and a .308 accuracy international AW sniper rifle suppressed .

Now here is my possible dilemma, ive invested a lot of $$$ on this wonderful hobby and after talking to my agent, he is telling me that some of the teams most interested are are liberal states that do not allow any of the above suppressors sbr..ect..!:confused: Which obviously means I cant bring these with me. What do I do? should i put them in a safe deposit box? sell?

I really dont want to sell because money wont be an issue and later on after im done playing I dont want to go through the whole paperwork process again over and over for multiple weapons. Ive waited long enough for these (as most of you have already experienced). plus with OBama in office, after my career who knows if we will still be able to get them...But I cant let someone watch them either. Im praying that I dont go to one of those teams but honestly I go were the money is!

Any imput would be great as to what I should do or what would you do.. Thanks

truth
04-17-09, 11:59
You could always join a gun club that offers secure storage once you're drafted to a location that bans the guns. Money won't be an issue right? Scottsdale Gun Club comes to mind. I know there are several on the east coast that offer similar level of service.

jakjakman
04-17-09, 12:04
Store them at my house. I'll take real good care of them. ;)

johnclark075
04-17-09, 12:12
What position do you play? Are you good? I ask because if you are good, then I will root for the Steelers to pick you up! You would like PA :D

Can you not leave them with family?

I hope you can go to a team in a state that has good gun laws. Best of luck in the draft!

sl4mdaddy
04-17-09, 12:14
I'm not sure what the reg's are with respect to storage of NFA items...maybe find someone you trust in your current location to store them in a safe with the paperwork (or copy thereof ) to show they are legally owned should there ever be an issue.

Again, just a guess on my part...

Oh yea...GO FINS!

buggsb
04-17-09, 12:20
Store them at my house. I'll take real good care of them. ;)

+1

Seriously though, if it were my decision I surely wouldn't sell them.

Given that, the next best option would be to find someone you trust to baby-sit them. Buying a small safe to store them in a friends home is not that expensive. For peace of mind, you can keep the combination to yourself, which would prevent them from being misused.

When I had to move from a free state to CA for work reasons I did just that. It was only supposed to be for a year or two, but ten years later they are still secure and waiting for me to return to a free state again.

Another option is to look for a commercial place that will store them for you. In states that border CA for instance (NV, AZ, etc.) I'm sure there are places that are storing rifles for Californians to either use when they come to the free state or to just hold them in storage.

Congrats on making it to the big leagues by the way...that is quite an accomplishment!!! Good luck!!!

CarlosDJackal
04-17-09, 12:20
If you have family outside those states, ask if you can store a safe with all your NFA items in it. Just make sure that nobody else has access to them. Maybe if you had a friend who was a Class 3 Dealer, he or she can store it for you?

The best thing would have been if these items were purchased under a Trust or some other Corporation, you can just include their name as alternate Trustees and you can store your NFA items with them (after you have informed the ATF of the change of address, of course).

Another option is, if you are going to maintain a home at your present location, then you can leave your NFA Items there and maintain that as your official state residence/home of records.

But before you do so, contact the ATF's NFA Branch and ask them if this is legal and if not, ask them what your alternatives are?

Good luck!!

lmurtha1
04-17-09, 12:37
I think that nobody can be in possession of those items, even with the paperwork unless I am present. Even if they are in a safe, If I am not of residence of the state anymore and am in another state, they cant be left in anyones possession but mine. I think a dealer or safe deposit would be the only option? This is what someone told me just a few weeks ago. I would feel kinda bad to let someone hold these and just sit there and watch them and not be able to use them! that would be torture.

My name is Lydon, i played for the Neb cornhuskers and ive been talking to a lot of teams but that doesnt mean to much. Alot of it is smoke and mirrors and just a huge game between teams. Some say i could go late 2nd all the way to 7th. Either way league min is $312,000. and that is just making the roster sitting on the bench. life will be rough! I plan on buying up a few nice NFA purchases simply because if ya got the money, you should make an investment, nothing overboard but a few autos, 50, and a lot of ammo. Im a fein for this stuff and love it! Im happy that their are so many people who love this stuff because i cant tell you how many people ..liberals... who tell me i dont need this stuff and im a lunatic for owning it, and they think im gonna go shoot up a von mar...how uneducated and naive some people are, I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE. even the guy at the local firing range called the police on me because he saw me shooting a suppressed handgun through the cameras. didnt even come and ask me about them, once the police came, i nicely showed them the paperwork and even the police officers said i should have this stuff legal or not. The owner of the range didnt even know people could own this? are they crazy?? anyways, thanks for the help, more input would be greatly appreciated.

Jo Mama
04-17-09, 13:00
I'd check with the ATF but I think you can store them at someones house as long as they don't have access. IE, locked safe don't give them the combo. I'd consider tax consequences when choosing a team as well. How many teams does Texas have:D

givo08
04-17-09, 13:27
Doesn't the NFL have a no firearms ownership policy? I remember reading they can kick you out of the league if they know you own any. I would go with a secure storage at some place like Scottsdale gun club.

Sam
04-17-09, 13:37
If you do get drafted, whatever you do, don't bring those items anywhere near Plaxico Burriss, and don't loan a suppressed gun to Michael Vick, he might use it on a dog. :)

Seriously, I wouldn't sell them. How do you have those NFA items registered at the moment? by the Revocable Living Trust or the other route. I would consult with the people that has the ultimate say so in this matter, the BATFE. Don't ask the local cop, he/she may or may not know anything about NFA devices. I know a few local cops who don't have a clue about the paperwork involved in owning NFA items. If you registered it using the Trust route, maybe you can store the items at one of the Trustees location.

Another thing, if you get drafted, there's nothing written in stone that you'll end up playing for only one team for your entire career or even playing with a team in a state that forbid owning NFA items. Maybe you'll end up with the Falcons, NFA items are legal in GA.

I assume since you wrote that you played at Nebraska, you have the items addressed in that state. I'm pretty sure there isn't an NFL team in Nebraska, so you'll have to contact the BATFE anyway to file the proper paper work to relocate those items to another state/location.

Deal with it when you know where you'll end up, call the BATFE.

Good luck.

CarlosDJackal
04-17-09, 13:52
I recommend that if you do purchase any more NFA Items, do it under a Trust so that others can maintain possession of it in your absence. Another option is to do a transfer to a Trust so that you cna have someone else maintain the ones you own now.

Like I said, the ATF would be the best place to find out if the option of having a non-accessible safe in a trusted friend or family member's home is legal.

Buck
04-17-09, 13:52
If you are for real, then take part of your signing bonus and buy a nice gun safe, and rent a quality storage space with an alarm in your current state of residence where the NFA items are lettered to... If only you have the key to the storage, and only you have the combination to the safe, then the NFA items are still in your possession...

Consult a nice NFA attorney to set up a corporation in that state to take title of the items and you are good to go… that being said I do not know very many college kids who can afford 20K+ of NFA firearms, but I guess you never know…

As part of the M4C no BS policy I am going to lock this thread and ask that you PM me, just to verify you are who and what you claim to be… Once received I will gladly unlock this thread and the discussion can continue…

B

Buck
04-18-09, 16:17
Well I have had a PM from lmurtha1 and I believe he is who he says he is…

Please welcome him to M4C and if you have any suggestions for his NFA issue I am sure that any advice you give will be well received…

B

sdacbob
04-18-09, 16:53
You can also put it in a safe deposit box at a bank in the State you reside in.

Rider79
04-18-09, 17:01
No, the NFL just discourages players from owning them. Because we can all see what good it did for Sean Taylor. I looked Mr. Murtha up, it seems he had one of the best OL performances at the combine, so I'll say congrats, and I hope it works out. I don't know much about NFA, but could they be left at his parents?

Doesn't the NFL have a no firearms ownership policy? I remember reading they can kick you out of the league if they know you own any. I would go with a secure storage at some place like Scottsdale gun club.

msap
04-18-09, 19:54
Whatever state you are in, do you have close family or a friend there? If so, keep their address as your address or one of your addresses. You can own or reside in more than one place/state. Keep the guns locked up there and you should be good to go. Don't sell them!!!! Good luck too:)

BVickery
04-18-09, 20:05
lmurtha1,

Well, good luck in your draft and let me say for sure, if your drafted by the Jag's I'd happily buy you your first beer here on the first coast.

Depending on what Teams draft you, you may be able to finagle a bit with where you actually live. One example is if New England drafts you, you can choose such states as NH or VT, or RI.

Good luck and I will definitely be watching the draft hoping you do well.

cop1211
04-18-09, 20:27
I'm hoping the Steelers take you in the 4th.

Cameron
04-18-09, 20:52
No problem at all man. Store them wherever you need to, I know a bunch of pro athletes and they all have their guns stashed away.

Cameron

Gingerkid
04-18-09, 21:18
If you do get drafted, whatever you do, don't bring those items anywhere near Plaxico Burriss, and don't loan a suppressed gun to Michael Vick, he might use it on a dog. :)

Seriously, I wouldn't sell them. How do you have those NFA items registered at the moment? by the Revocable Living Trust or the other route. I would consult with the people that has the ultimate say so in this matter, the BATFE. Don't ask the local cop, he/she may or may not know anything about NFA devices. I know a few local cops who don't have a clue about the paperwork involved in owning NFA items. If you registered it using the Trust route, maybe you can store the items at one of the Trustees location.

Another thing, if you get drafted, there's nothing written in stone that you'll end up playing for only one team for your entire career or even playing with a team in a state that forbid owning NFA items. Maybe you'll end up with the Falcons, NFA items are legal in GA.

I assume since you wrote that you played at Nebraska, you have the items addressed in that state. I'm pretty sure there isn't an NFL team in Nebraska, so you'll have to contact the BATFE anyway to file the proper paper work to relocate those items to another state/location.

Deal with it when you know where you'll end up, call the BATFE.

Good luck.

Exactly... Call BATFE once you know where you are going. Plain and simple.

And good luck with the NFL.

lmurtha1
04-18-09, 22:33
thanks for all your input, it helps a lot. I did actually use the trust route and listed my wife as a beneficiary and my father. My wife will obviously be with me and my father lives in Minnesota so they cant go there. Gosh, its hard to think that I wouldnt be able to use these for what could be a loooooong time or not long at all:D NFL= not for long. I have no idea what round I could be drafted in but Ive heard it all. I was injured and missed a few games my junior and senior year which hurt my film a little but my combine performance hopefully makes up for that. I just got back from the dolphins and went down and visited and worked out their facility, talked to parcels and all the coaches. Florida is really nice! i dont want to know what the summers are gonna be like though... If i go there, im A-ok.. wish me all the luck that wherever I go, i can bring my babies and squeeze off some rounds on the regular! Thanks again everyone

RedOil
04-18-09, 23:53
Colts would be good. Indiana is a great place to be a class III owner.

g5m
04-19-09, 01:31
Talk to the BATFE. They'll be able to tell you how to do it legally.
Good luck with the NFL.

Gentoo
04-19-09, 07:51
Come to TX. We have 2 teams and no NFA restrictions. :p

Safetyhit
04-19-09, 08:51
Best of possible luck to you in both the draft and with the other issue. Have to keep an eye out if possible for you this coming weekend. But, even if you don't get drafted, there will be other openings down the line this summer.

However that said, trust me when I tell you as someone with extensive adult football experience (my name here is "safetyhit", afterall), the NFL will be likely much harder to overcome in the end. :D

You'll find a way to handle your firearm issues, just listen to those here that know what to do.

sundance435
04-19-09, 11:42

Where did you hear this? Brian Urlacher has one of the best collections in Illinois and does publicity stuff for some of the large suburban gun shops. I'm guessing he wouldn't put his stuff out there if there was a clear League rule against it.

Mung
04-19-09, 14:41
Hey, I've actually heard of you on Sirius NFL network. Sounds like you'll get drafted in the first 4 rounds. Hopefully the Chargers would pick ya up cuz we need some help at RT. If ther Bolts do get you, will you sign my M4??:D
Good luck.

SW-Shooter
04-19-09, 14:47
I guess this is you? http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=33889&draftyear=2009&genpos=OT

Don't sell them, store them!

Good luck, keep us updated.

BIGUGLY
04-19-09, 17:05
THANK GOD HE'S A HUSKER. Sorry had to do it. BEST OF LUCK. I think most have nailed it if you have to go to a place where they are not allowed, use class III dealer you trust or some kind of secure facility like a gun club that has that service.

Bimmer
04-19-09, 17:42
Exactly... Call BATFE once you know where you are going. Plain and simple.

This is poor advise, IMHO.

The problem isn't the BATFE. He's already legal with the BATFE, and their rules are the same everywhere.

The problem is whichever state's DoJ. He'd be a lot better of contacting the STATE gov't.

You can also put it in a safe deposit box at a bank in the State you reside in.

This is really wrong-headed advice. If he moves to California and does this, then AFAIK it's a felony.

One of the local police chiefs (yes, the chief) just went to jail for having a silencer and a full-auto MP5.

Pray that you don't have to move to California,

Bimmer

A-Bear680
04-19-09, 19:50
lmurtha1,

Well, good luck in your draft and let me say for sure, if your drafted by the Jag's I'd happily buy you your first beer here on the first coast.

Depending on what Teams draft you, you may be able to finagle a bit with where you actually live. One example is if New England drafts you, you can choose such states as NH or VT, or RI.

Good luck and I will definitely be watching the draft hoping you do well.

Maine is another very NFA firearms friendly state.

ETA: What Buck said about about a good NFA lawyer.

SHIVAN
04-19-09, 20:06
Consult your attorney. If they are unsure, or give an answer you are not comfortable with, consult a gun friendly attorney from a state like Florida, Virginia, Texas, etc.

If you go 2nd round, you will probably have enough cash to buy a second house in the state of your choice. Do it wisely, and you will have a place to store your guns. They will technically still be in your possession, even if you are not there.

If that new house is in a state other then where they were registered with the ATF, then send them a letter, and probably a 5320.20, stating that you've moved and the new address where these will be housed.

Install a nice safe, and an alarm system, and insure them with a separate firearms rider.

Edit: Some football cities actually have neighboring states, close by, who do allow NFA items, like the Washington Redskins. Many of the Redskins players live in Virginia since the camp is in Ashburn, VA and FedEx field is only about 30-40 minutes away with traffic in to Maryland.

RojasTKD
04-19-09, 20:54
thanks for all your input, it helps a lot. I did actually use the trust route and listed my wife as a beneficiary and my father. My wife will obviously be with me and my father lives in Minnesota so they cant go there. Gosh, its hard to think that I wouldnt be able to use these for what could be a loooooong time or not long at all:D NFL= not for long. I have no idea what round I could be drafted in but Ive heard it all. I was injured and missed a few games my junior and senior year which hurt my film a little but my combine performance hopefully makes up for that. I just got back from the dolphins and went down and visited and worked out their facility, talked to parcels and all the coaches. Florida is really nice! i dont want to know what the summers are gonna be like though... If i go there, im A-ok.. wish me all the luck that wherever I go, i can bring my babies and squeeze off some rounds on the regular! Thanks again everyone

Well, Hope it works out. I'd be happy to welcome you to S. Florida. Thankfully we are a free state and your toys will be welcomed here.

Once you find out where you will be heading you'll have a better idea what path you need to take.

Oh, and yes it can get very warm during the summers here. But it's not so bad, I glad I live in FL.

Best of luck!

Pro2AInPA
04-19-09, 21:20
The Eagles could use a good player or twenty, and PA is a gun loving state!

HAMMERDROP
04-19-09, 21:43
Just buy a huge gun safe and store it at a gated storage facility keep them in there until you can have them shipped to your mansion :D ... just dont tell anybody you did it.
You'll keep your rigs and have a great safe.
You can have it delivered empty then bring your stuff in the dark of the night.
Sure you have to worry about it but you'll only be a plane flight away
and unless the storage facility goes under your gtg.

Good Luck

Michael

lmurtha1
04-19-09, 22:56
thanks for the support. Gosh only a few days away until the draft! I think Ill just buy a nice safe and a storage unit if anything should arise. Another question, are things put away into a safe storage facility insured or covered if anything were to happen? Or will i have to insure them while they are there in case, God forbid, someone stole them? I need to buy a safe anyways. So ive already decided one what to do with a little money. Im not into fancy cars or big homes yet, simply because rookies dont make enough anyways until their second contract. Im going to invest most of my money very prudently until time is right, BUT, because im going to most likely live in a nice condo, apt..ect.. and drive my truck, im going to spend a little money on a new gun or two..

So.. given that I should recieve a nice chunk of money for signing bonus plus league minimum is $312,000, I wont need to budget atleast 1 gun. so here is my question, if you had some funds like above, what kind of gun do you think i should buy? Anything and everything would be helpful

I want to get something that is A: awesome, B: not everyone has, and C: usefull, something i can squeeze off some massive rounds!

batgeek
04-19-09, 23:23
good luck in the draft!!

if i had the funds? easy...a real Thompson model of 1921.

Mung
04-19-09, 23:33
I want to get something that is A: awesome, B: not everyone has, and C: usefull, something i can squeeze off some massive rounds!

Sounds like you should buy my Magpul/Noveske MPL Light Recce. Only 50 made.:cool:

Gentoo
04-20-09, 00:41
a real Thompson model of 1921.

This. It has history and function.

Bimmer
04-20-09, 00:50
I need to buy a safe anyways.

You're fü¢&ing kidding us, right? You've got these guns, and you're just leaving them laying around?

Please tell me that they're locked in somebody else's safe right now, and you meant that you just need to get your own safe...

Safetyhit
04-20-09, 08:10
So.. given that I should recieve a nice chunk of money for signing bonus plus league minimum is $312,000, I wont need to budget atleast 1 gun. so here is my question, if you had some funds like above, what kind of gun do you think i should buy? Anything and everything would be helpful

Think you are putting the cart before the horse, good man. Just worry about Saturday and Sunday. You already have some nice pieces, and maybe you can take them with you if you go to the "right" state.

Wait to see what happens. If you end up here in NJ, or a place like California, there will be restrictions on bullsh*t items like collapsing stocks, bayonet lugs and magazine capacity. In other words, if you want to buy as a resident of your new state, wait until you know where that is and possibly go from there. Also, you can't be certain at this time if you will have enough for the second home right away, assuming I heard correctly.

Just my $0.02.

lmurtha1
04-20-09, 09:21
You're fü¢&ing kidding us, right? You've got these guns, and you're just leaving them laying around?

Please tell me that they're locked in somebody else's safe right now, and you meant that you just need to get your own safe...

yeah, they were just laying around my house, but my neighbor has a safe and holds my valuable guns. I have a doberman! haha, ive been wanting to get one for my own house, just never got around to it.. My wife is always home though and i have guns loaded, I was hoping that would work for the time being!:D

militarymoron
04-20-09, 10:26

minigun :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7VJtF8OX_M

Triton28
04-20-09, 11:31
First off...
GO HUSKERS!
Been a fan from way back. Finally got a chance to see Memorial Stadium last September when you guys played VA Tech (wife is a hokie). I can now die in peace. :)

Anyway... +1 for an authentic Thompson. Iconic gun that very few have plus actual utility if you so choose to use it that way. Probably one of the best investments of money right now too.

Good luck this weekend!

scottryan
04-20-09, 11:43
If you are for real,

He is for real.

S45
04-20-09, 11:50
Man, It's not very often you see a guy go 300+ lbs. and not have a huge gut. You can easily put on another 20 lbs. I saw some footage of you. You have all the tools to be a great lineman especially with your speed. Good luck with the draft.

lmurtha1
04-20-09, 13:45
haha, people always said I could put some weight on my frame. Im already 315 lbs. and some teams would like me heavier and some want me lighter and some want me to play tight end etc... who knows, i have to make the team first! Even 1st and 2nd rounders get cut from mini camp. So, that being said, i like the the Thompson, it looks like a reliable gun that could be worth a lot in the end. How much do full autos go for these days in that model? Original and very clean.

lmurtha1
04-20-09, 13:50
minigun :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7VJtF8OX_M

OMG. that is amazing. there is one for sale for only $255,000. hmmm, not a bad way to spend a signing bonus!!! only if i can get my wife on board.. i want to mount it on the back of my truck and mow down some rodents in the fields..

Atleast I wouldnt be spending much on ammo.. :O

SHIVAN
04-20-09, 13:50
So, that being said, i like the the Thompson, it looks like a reliable gun that could be worth a lot in the end. How much do full autos go for these days in that model? Original and very clean.

$10,000 - $100,000 I'd suppose...the low end being repro's and the upper end being originals, with some history, etc.

Here's a Thompson for $15,900 - 1928 Thompson (http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/index.cgi?db=nfafirearms&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=14999&query=retrieval)

thedog
04-20-09, 14:35
Get a good reputable lawyer to handle this for you. Then get to be a Superstar and work to change the NFL's dumb policy of discouragement and become a pro-gun spokesman!
Best of luck to you, friend!

Oh, and +1 for the Thompson!

dog

ALCOAR
04-20-09, 15:33
congrats on the bigs buddy, hey im an auburn alum and was at the great bowl game we had againest u guys in the alamo bowl in 07, not to bring up tough memories....but hey all foreign players feel the same after they meet the iron clad force of the tigers. Close game though. Good Luck and hopefully u will end up in atlanta where im a season tik holder.

scottryan
04-20-09, 15:58
So, that being said, i like the the Thompson, it looks like a reliable gun that could be worth a lot in the end. How much do full autos go for these days in that model? Original and very clean.

Original thompsons (meaning USGI, not West Hurley reproductions) start around $25,000 to $30,000 for a refinished non matching gun. Original factory condition and/or original factory finish goes up from there.

You could spend $60,000+ for a really nice original gun. The most pristine collector highest of high grade would be around $100,000.

Original ones were made by Auto Ordnance, Colt, and Savage.

If you just want a shooter, you can get a reproduction for around $10,000 to $20,000.

If you want to use drum magazines, you need to get a model of 1921 or 1928. The M1 and M1A1 thompsons only use stick magazines.

The easy way to tell all these apart is the M1 and M1A1 thompsons have a side cocking knob, while the 1921/1928 ones have top cocking knob.

Rider79
04-20-09, 16:50
Think you are putting the cart before the horse, good man.

Exactly. Worry about your future right now and how to invest your money wisely. Working in Vegas, you would be amazed how many broke formerly well-known athletes I've come across (I see Mike Tyson about once a month), as well as how many former college athletes who had a little time in the pros, or had pro "potential" who now are my co-workers. When you get in and make it, just try to be a positive, intelligent voice for the 2nd Amendment.

Oh yeah, and if you do make it big, don't be one of these douchebag athletes who doesn't tip service industry staff in Vegas. ;)

SW-Shooter
04-25-09, 17:06
Good luck today!

S45
04-26-09, 08:22
Good luck today!

S45
04-26-09, 17:41
How does it feel to know you are protecting a $70 million man? Congrats to the new Detroit Lion. I think Michigan has pretty good gun laws. Good Luck in the NFL.

Detective_D
04-26-09, 18:02
I was looking for this thread to offer my congratulations as well.

No pressure in your assignment or anything....lol.

It looks as though you will have a problem with your sbr and suppressors though. At least with what I am looking at. They both show to be prohibited.

Again, Congratulations and good luck to you.
~D

Safetyhit
04-26-09, 18:23
Looks like you will need that second home to house some of those items afterall...

Congratulations, glad you were picked.

Even if by Detroit.

:D

johnclark075
04-26-09, 18:58
Big Congrats! Help those Lions out!

mrwilson
04-26-09, 22:09
The cheapest and easiest thing to do is to get a Safe Deposit box at your bank and store them there until you figure where you'll be moving to and if they'll be legal there.

ps. HUSKERS rule!

Stormy556
04-26-09, 22:25
If you're more intersted in having fun rather than the historical value, I'd get an UZI and a registered reciever M-16. 20 to 25K. good luck!

Buck
04-26-09, 22:58
Congratulations from M4C...

Gramps
04-27-09, 11:15
Congrats on the draft.

Remember there can be a lot of way's around things. This is what GOOD lawyers are for.

hkpanther
04-27-09, 13:47
Congrats Murtha, looks like you're a Detroit Lion. Hope you are/were able to sort out your original dilemma.
I live in Lincoln and have been a die hard Husker fan since I was a little kid.
Say hi to former Husker Dominic Raiola when you get to Detroit! :)

IMR
04-28-09, 15:41
Congratulations! looks like you might be blocking for Matt Stafford, our UGA quarterback that was drafted by Detroit also.

You might not want to talk to anybody within the organization about the type of firearms you have, until you get to know them better... and then you still might not.
There's been good info provided here allready. You'll figure out the best way to handle it.

Good luck, on your NFL career.

dookie1481
04-29-09, 00:23
Congrats on being drafted. Lions had a good first round, Stafford obviously and Pettigrew is an absolute freak.

Jay

Littlelebowski
04-29-09, 07:32
Hope you get a chance to spread the word about safe, responsible gun ownership to any anti gun team mates you might have. Congratulations! We'd sure like an update every once in a while.

Vic303
04-29-09, 11:14
Congrats on the draft. Hope it works out well for you.

Patrick Henry
04-29-09, 15:05
Yes, congratulations on the fortunate career opportunity!

As for the NFA items, I would absolutely speak with a couple of different attys regarding the issue. If you do things right there may even be tax benefits. For example, your current trust may possibly be able to sell some of the items to another newly organized trust at a loss, then that loss becomes deductible against your income. Again, I highly recommend speaking with legal counsel before making any decisions or moves. Nothing is worth jeopardizing your career right now - not even the NFA toys. ;)

As for cool guns, the Thompsons are fun and I was just looking at them at a store in Eugene, Oregon. But if I had the $$ I would buy something more modern. It's purely a matter of personal preference.

Here's a website I was admiring recently but know nothing about regarding their business practices: Only The Best Firearms (http://www.onlythebestfirearms.com/nfa1.html)

CarlosDJackal
04-29-09, 16:48
thanks for all your input, it helps a lot. I did actually use the trust route and listed my wife as a beneficiary and my father. My wife will obviously be with me and my father lives in Minnesota so they cant go there...

I was too lazy to read through all the posts and I may be a dollar short at this point. But if you purchased your NFA items through a Revocable Living Trust (RLT) then you can add a trusted individual to the list of alternate (not the primary) Trustees. Once you have legally done that, then they too can maintain possession of the NFA items.

Just make sure it's someone you trust and make sure you do not make them the primary Trustees. That way they cannot up and sell the items from under you.

CAVEAT: I am not a lawyer (Thank God!!) nor do I play one on the Internet. I recommend that you clarify this with a lawyer who specializes in Trusts to make sure that it is legal and correct.

Good luck!!