PDA

View Full Version : Kydex mag carriers...

Hawkeye
04-17-09, 12:55
I'm looking for some new kydex mag carriers. I've been a long time Blade Tech user, but for a couple of reasons I'd like to try something a little different. A couple of trusted friends are big proponents of Comp-Tacs mag carriers and have recommended them. How about Raven? I know there are a few of you around here using them. Still like them? Is it possible to get 1.75" belt loops for them? Anyone have any other good suggestions?

givo08
04-17-09, 13:30
I own comp tac and raven mag carriers, and I would strongly recommend the raven over the comp-tac. The comp tac are ok for competition, but they are terrible for concealing. The raven hugs the mag in very close and the holder is very thin kydex and is "curved" to fit against your body. I'm not sure which belt size it fits, mine is 1.25" and there is plenty of room in the OWB loops.

MaceWindu
04-17-09, 13:35
Comp-Tacs mag carriers and have recommended them.

I use Comp-Tac. For pistol and carbine. I highly recommend them. Raven makes a great product, only problem is with M4 mags, it's either USGI mags or MagPul PMags, but not both.

Comp-tac 5.56 mag holders hold both. I just received mine in the mail yesterday and I am VERY pleased with their product and mag fit.

Yes, they support belt loops of 1.75, just specify when you place your online order.

Mace

MaceWindu
04-17-09, 13:37
but they are terrible for concealing.

I have not had this problem. I think it's also "body type" dependent. Raven does make a great product.

Mace

John_Wayne777
04-17-09, 13:50
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP1003.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP1002.jpg

I'm not sure what size the belt loop is...but I wear it with an Eagle instructor style belt all the time.

Lumpy196
04-17-09, 13:51
I own comp tac and raven mag carriers, and I would strongly recommend the raven over the comp-tac. The comp tac are ok for competition, but they are terrible for concealing. The raven hugs the mag in very close and the holder is very thin kydex and is "curved" to fit against your body. I'm not sure which belt size it fits, mine is 1.25" and there is plenty of room in the OWB loops.

Odd, I've found my Comp-Tac single mag pouches to be excellent for concealment.

Their holsters were a different story.

JohnN
04-17-09, 14:07
I'm looking for some new kydex mag carriers. I've been a long time Blade Tech user, but for a couple of reasons I'd like to try something a little different. A couple of trusted friends are big proponents of Comp-Tacs mag carriers and have recommended them. How about Raven? I know there are a few of you around here using them. Still like them? Is it possible to get 1.75" belt loops for them? Anyone have any other good suggestions?

I have used both and find the Raven to be a little more concealable though they take up more real estate on the belt. Because the Comp-Tacs are clip on they are more convenient. Raven can very easily make up 1.75" belt loops for any of their products.

buggsb
04-17-09, 15:08
Odd, I've found my Comp-Tac single mag pouches to be excellent for concealment.

+1 I have switched over to them completely for the very reason that they hug in nice and tight and are very easy to conceal.

Jay870
04-17-09, 16:01
I guess I would say it depends on the purpose.

The Raven is pretty much ideal for concealment. Very flat profile and very positive retention. I wouldn't recommend using it games however as it consumes a ton of belt space, and the retention is too much when I am looking for pure speed. Prior to getting the Raven I had been using a Comp-Tac, I liked it for its ease of mounting and adjustable tension, but it was significantly more difficult to conceal for me, and right now serves as an extra/spare carrier for my USPSA rig.

Most of my game pouches are made by TKW which you can find at mle-shootingsports. They are made from a very heavy gauge of kydex, are very adjustable and in my experience very fast.

ToddG
04-17-09, 18:21
I use the BMC from Custom Carry Concepts (http://www.shop.customcarryconcepts.com/product.sc;jsessionid=D6066725095661A4C01556EADCC02A71.qscstrfrnt02?productId=11). Very low profile, doesn't need retention screws, inexpensive, and solid loops (as opposed to clips) means it won't get ripped off the belt.

Hawkeye
04-17-09, 19:04
Todd, those are very interesting. Hows the retention on the mags?

kihnspiracy
04-17-09, 20:48
Check out G-Code. They make pretty good gear. That's what I use for my Glock 17.

ToddG
04-17-09, 21:59
Todd, those are very interesting. Hows the retention on the mags?

I've had no problems. One side of the pouch body is basically a tab. If the pouch gets too loose, you heat the tab up with a hair dryer and bend it inwards a little bit. Ta-da, nice & tight again. Though to be honest, the only time I've had to try that was with a pouch I tried to rip off my belt repeatedly to test the loop. The mag ended up causing a small crack at one of the corners which made the pouch's grip on the mag looser. Five minutes with the hair dryer and it was fine.

rob_s
04-17-09, 22:11
I use the BMC from Custom Carry Concepts (http://www.shop.customcarryconcepts.com/product.sc;jsessionid=D6066725095661A4C01556EADCC02A71.qscstrfrnt02?productId=11). Very low profile, doesn't need retention screws, inexpensive, and solid loops (as opposed to clips) means it won't get ripped off the belt.

I wanted to order a couple of things from him. One problem

As of 20 March, 2009 I have had to put a suspense on accepting new orders for the time being. I am having trouble getting caught up with the current back log. Please check back later for updates.

ygbsm
04-18-09, 14:38
Try Talontactical.com

It's all I use. It's good stuff.

JohnN
04-18-09, 14:50
Try Talontactical.com

It's all I use. It's good stuff.

Probably sits closer to your body than the Comp-Tac.

stony275
04-18-09, 15:03
For concealed carry it's hard to beat Raven Concealment Systems. I've been using their gear here in Iraq for quite some time. I use a similar setup as John Wayne 77, but in coyote brown and for the Glock 19. Depending upon the mission and venue, I also use their M4 mag carrier.

A number of co-workers and DSS agents have been suitably impressed with my RCS gear that they've ordered their own to use here and other cess pools in the world.

Sam
04-18-09, 18:37
I second the CCC (Custom Carry Concepts) single mag pouches.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/zt_005.jpg

Low profile, no need for screws (don't have to worry about losing them), solid belt clip, no nonsense pouches.

Retention is good, these are no slicky boy stuff, magazine stays in even if you hold the pouch upside down.

Jay Cunningham
04-18-09, 19:48
SKD sells a very similar product:

http://www.skdtac.com/v/vspfiles/photos/RDT.103-2.jpg

Ready Tactical Pistol Mag Pouch (http://www.skdtac.com/Ready_Tactical_Pistol_Mag_Pouch_p/rdt.103.htm)

I have used this as an emergency reload/spare mag carrier for about a year now and am very happy with it.

ToddG
04-19-09, 07:58
Katarzan -- The Ready-Tac was actually the inspiration for the CCC BMC. I used the Ready-Tac pouches for a few years but over time the clip had a tendency to break, especially if we were doing anything dynamic. Quite a few friends -- including some folks who post here - experienced mag pouch loss during vehicle bail out drills, for instance.

rob_s
04-19-09, 08:22
I'm another Ready Tactical user and have been for years, since before they were exclusive through SKD. I've never had a problem with them, but maybe I don't use them as hard as some others. I use their pistol mag pouches for the Glock, their AR mag pouches, and a light holder that I got from them years ago that's been on and off my belt hundreds of times. It also lives in my car with the clip jammed over a plastic divider in the map pouch on the door, so it's under pretty constant stress.

ToddG
04-19-09, 08:48
It also lives in my car with the clip jammed over a plastic divider in the map pouch on the door, so it's under pretty constant stress.

Kydex usually won't snap or tear from being under "constant stress" in that sense. It breaks due to being repeatedly worked (bending back and forth) or being subjected to a shear force.

rob_s
04-19-09, 09:00
I should have been more clear. That carrier goes in and out of the car daily, and on and off my belt at least once a week, often much more, and has been doing so for literally the 2+ years that I've owned this car (I've had the pouch even longer than that). That's the constant stress that I mean. Not so much the sitting there in the car, but the in and out of the car.

It's a sample of one and all that, but it's my sample of one. :D

ToddG
04-19-09, 09:07
rob_s -- Understood. Yes, that is exactly the kind of thing that breaks them. You're not the first person I've known who's had really good luck with it. I was in the same boat a few years ago. A bunch of my (smarter) friends were abandoning them but I'd never broken one. Then in the course of about a month I broke a holster and multiple mag pouches. There was much I-told-you-so'ing. :cool:

My advice would be to toss a spare in your glovebox. If the one you're using now lasts forever, great. If it breaks, you will still be able to carry your spare in the place/manner you're used to.

rob_s
04-19-09, 09:17
I keep an E1B in the center console for exactly that reason, and because it's lower profile than the G2 when I need it. ;)

Derek_Connor
04-19-09, 15:36

Ive also been a blade-tech guy for awhile as well. They still serve me well. But I've been looking around at other options.

This weekend at Magpul's pistol course down @ POPs I saw an AWFUL lot of Raven kit. Just *looking* at it (no chance to run drills w/it), it seemed well made and square. It keeps mags and firearms extremely close to your body, if you like that. It also allows them to ride a bit higher on the belt, if you like that as well. The pouches themselves take up quite a bit of belt "real estate" but that allows them to distribute the weight and keep them closer.

I've recently acquired some mag pouches from a small shop, "tactical kydex"

I am experimenting w/these on a belt set up. They are 1911 mag pouches and AR15 that are able to be made for belts up to 2.0in, and I asked the maker to "drop" them slightly off the belt.

This allows those, like me, with stupid long gorilla arms to get to the mag pouches without growing a 2nd elbow. So far so good, thick kydex, tension adjustable, he turned them around in a weekend, and price for all 4 pouches was approx $55+shipping:

Unloaded:
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/5763/dsc07744large.jpg
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/8472/dsc07743large.jpg

Loaded:
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/1715/dsc07746large.jpg

RWK
04-19-09, 15:42
I've used Comp-Tac and Ready Tactical pouches for several years. Never had any issues with them.

Hawkeye
04-19-09, 19:16
Ive also been a blade-tech guy for awhile as well. They still serve me well. But I've been looking around at other options.

This weekend at Magpul's pistol course down @ POPs I saw an AWFUL lot of Raven kit. Just *looking* at it (no chance to run drills w/it), it seemed well made and square. It keeps mags and firearms extremely close to your body, if you like that. It also allows them to ride a bit higher on the belt, if you like that as well. The pouches themselves take up quite a bit of belt "real estate" but that allows them to distribute the weight and keep them closer.

I've recently acquired some mag pouches from a small shop, "tactical kydex"

I am experimenting w/these on a belt set up. They are 1911 mag pouches and AR15 that are able to be made for belts up to 2.0in, and I asked the maker to "drop" them slightly off the belt.

This allows those, like me, with stupid long gorilla arms to get to the mag pouches without growing a 2nd elbow. So far so good, thick kydex, tension adjustable, he turned them around in a weekend, and price for all 4 pouches was approx $55+shipping:

Unloaded:
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/5763/dsc07744large.jpg
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/8472/dsc07743large.jpg

Loaded:
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/1715/dsc07746large.jpg

We need to meet up over at GG or somewhere so I can take a look at those.

Derek_Connor
04-19-09, 19:43
We need to meet up over at GG or somewhere so I can take a look at those.

roger. pm me when you'll think you will be over there and i'll drop off the kit for you to look at

Steve
04-19-09, 19:44
I run raven gear in matches and daily carry used to run a lot of comp tac.

raven has gotten my vote, i have used it hard and often at time's run them all IWB with 20 round p mags i have also found that my gi mags stay in place well enough with the raven pmag carriers.

tusk212
04-19-09, 20:19
Ive been running the same carrier as Mr Connor for daily carry duty with my Glock 19 for about 5-6 months. Im not as high speed as some here but it is holding up really well and is very well made.