PDA

View Full Version : Essential abilities...

Argus
04-18-09, 10:41
Like many of you, I've been thinking a lot about how to be a better prepared person. Cool gear, EMP-proof vehicles, bugout bags and remote locations are great, but there's definitely more to it than that. With this in mind, I'm going through the exercise of coming up with a list of "essential abilities"; things that I think anyone should be able to do in order to be a well rounded person, able to cope with just about any situation that life throws at them. This list is not inclusive and is a work in progress. Being able to do these things won't necessarily prepare you for every possible scenario. But in my opinion, if you are able to do all of these things, you're well ahead of the curve. So, with apologies to Heinlein and in no particular order, I believe a person should be able to:

change a tire
change their own oil
read a map
precisely describe their own location (if you're driving down the road and have to call 911, can you accurately tell the dispatcher where you are?)
frame a wall
fix a leaky faucet
wire an outlet
safely handle and shoot a firearm
detail strip and maintain their chosen firearm(s)
reload ammunition
sharpen a knife
hunt, field dress and butcher a deer or similar size game animal
catch, clean and fillet a fish
grow a garden
cook a meal
build a fire
pitch a tent
tie some basic knots (square knot, bowline and two half hitches are a good start)
sew a button
do 5 pull ups
bench press their own weight
touch their toes
run a mile
perform CPR
provide immediate care for wounds, burns and broken bones
communicate effectively
comprehend what they hear and read
negotiate a deal
balance a checkbook

Again, this is by no means comprehensive, and you can get more detailed and go a lot farther in each area. Being able to change your own oil doesn't make you a mechanic, but I know people who have driven their cars for years and never looked under the hood. You should at least have a basic understanding of what makes your car go.

I don't necessarily have all of these abilities, and many (if not all) of the ones that I do have are areas where I need improvement. Just a list of things that I have consciously undertaken to be able to do. Any others? Comments?

Puffy93
04-19-09, 19:55
Sounds good
A couple to add possibly

-know the basic hand tools and how to use them
- know what plants are edible/poisonus in your area(mabye?)
- start a fire with out matches,lighter,gas,etc.

dbrowne1
05-28-09, 13:06
How about:

-Swim
- Tread water
- Row/Sail a boat

BillCutting
09-03-09, 21:26
All great points. Having been a boy scout and having been partially raised by family members that were do-it-yourselfers, I have fortunately been able to do most of the things on that list. I will have to work on my game butchering and wall framing abilities, however.

I have been thinking a lot lately on what encompasses a good all around preparedness agenda. Mainly from a self defense viewpoint but what I have come up with is essentially are 4 areas:

1. Strength training
2. Cardio training
3. Hand to hand defense (ju-jitsu, judo,etc.) + knife fighting tactics (Karambit, etc.)
4. Marksmanship, gun handling, field stripping, combat tactics

These are in no particular order, and essential to them all is knowledge, to constantly learn.

I think if you spend time in each area, honing your skills, you will be very prepared to defend you and yours from whatever comes your way.

Also, it just happens that all of these things can be FUN hobbies as well, so its not like work really. Going to the gym, running, going to the range, taking ju-jitsu classes are all great fun.

tpd223
09-03-09, 21:34
Reminds me of this;

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-Robert A. Heinlein

zushwa
09-03-09, 23:35
I'm soooo ****ed. :)

I would put a higher emphasis on some of the physical portions of the list. Running a mile is good, but maybe ruck (hike) with 25lbs for 5 miles or something like that. I'm assuming the pull-ups and bench press are used as indicators of overall strength but maybe something more practical than a bench press could be the bar.

Maybe it has some application and maybe it doesn't but there are plenty of people (especially us old men) that don't have any computer skills except turning on the computer and opening a browser. There are plenty of guys that find it a HUGE success to host pictures here on the forums!! In a practical sense maybe more emphasis on the technology and communications portion. How about "operate a HAM Radio" or something?? Great, one more thing on the list I can't do.....

What about know how to preserve (smoke, can, etc.) food? filter and purify water?

Good list, and additions. Especially the swimming. Let me think of a few others.

Buck
09-03-09, 23:48
Does burping the National Anthem count??? :rolleyes:

Spade
09-04-09, 00:53
Good list. To be honest some of those I may not be able to do. Your list also got me to thinking. How far does a person take this? Ill try to explain. For people like others & myself the idea of being prepared is somewhat an enjoyable idea as well as pass time. I enjoy firearms, hunting, & have recently started reading up on personal survival & bug out scenarios. Others may not enjoy these things as much but understand a need to be prepared & do it somewhat grudgingly. But my thought is at what point do you take it to far? Or is there a point a person can? I’m curious if a person could spend so much time, energy, & money on being prepared that a person’s life might pass them. For instance I am married with one child. Yes I am responsible for being prepared but at what sacrifice to spending time with my wife & kiddo. Don't get me wrong I think a person should train & yes even work out, but I think it could overwhelm a person. There is lots of gear & guns I want. There is lots of training I would love to have. But alas money & time are valuable commodities & need to be used wisely. Thankfully for me my wife & kiddo share my interest in being prepared & so it works into our family quite well but even so could you not be come obsessed at some point? Just interested in other thoughts.

zushwa
09-04-09, 03:56
Good list. To be honest some of those I may not be able to do. Your list also got me to thinking. How far does a person take this? Ill try to explain. For people like others & myself the idea of being prepared is somewhat an enjoyable idea as well as pass time. I enjoy firearms, hunting, & have recently started reading up on personal survival & bug out scenarios. Others may not enjoy these things as much but understand a need to be prepared & do it somewhat grudgingly. But my thought is at what point do you take it to far? Or is there a point a person can? I’m curious if a person could spend so much time, energy, & money on being prepared that a person’s life might pass them. For instance I am married with one child. Yes I am responsible for being prepared but at what sacrifice to spending time with my wife & kiddo. Don't get me wrong I think a person should train & yes even work out, but I think it could overwhelm a person. There is lots of gear & guns I want. There is lots of training I would love to have. But alas money & time are valuable commodities & need to be used wisely. Thankfully for me my wife & kiddo share my interest in being prepared & so it works into our family quite well but even so could you not be come obsessed at some point? Just interested in other thoughts.

No dude, you're right. I think it can be taken too far. There is always a balance. From the sounds of it you have the ability to recognize it and I'm sure the wife will let you know if things are getting a bit skewed.

My wife also appreciates that I take these things into consideration and she is pretty open to it, within reason. When I suggested places and supplies within the house for emergencies she was all ears. When I keep buying ammo and guns she gives me the stink eye. :)

One analogy that works for me is an insurance policy. We pay money into all kinds of insurance and mostly it doesn't get used, but when we need it, WE NEED IT. Within that analogy we wouldn't have a 10 million dollar policy on our house, and I wouldn't be so outrageous with my preparations either.

Sorry for getting off topic (again).

rob_s
09-04-09, 05:02
Drive a stick shift, ride/drive a motorcycle.

MarshallDodge
09-04-09, 10:11
Good list.

"detail strip and maintain their chosen firearm(s)"
You should have all the tools and know-how for the platforms you have chosen.

"hunt, field dress and butcher a deer or similar size game animal"
We slaughtered a couple chickens last weekend so I can check that one off the list. ;)

I hate touching raw meat for some reason but when push comes to shove, I can get over it. It is the main reason I don't hunt big game but that is going to change because my 14 year old pulled a deer tag for this fall. It's time to learn how to gut a deer. It's odd because I can get knee deep in grease working on the car but have an issue with blood and guts.

dbrowne1
09-04-09, 10:47
Spade-

You are correct that you can "take it too far." The insurance analogy is a good one. Most people insure against the normally foreseeable types of things - house, auto, health, life, certain types of liability depending on circumstances.

It just doesn't make sense to try to cover yourself beyond a certain point. I'm not going to insure against the possibility that I hit a van full of Nobel prize-winning, millionaire neurosurgeons and get hit with a $100mil lawsuit, just as I'm not going to try to prepare for every possible disaster/survival scenario.

I look at it in terms of investing in capabilities that I can use in the broadest possible set of plausible scenarios. Losing power, losing potable water, losing the ability to buy basic things on demand - whatever may have caused that to happen - is about where I draw the line.

K.L. Davis
09-04-09, 12:05
I think it is Popular Mechanics that publishes an annual list of the 100 things a man should be able to do -- looks a lot like the OP's list...

My wife always says that there should be a "man school" where they use that list as the curriculum.

HES
09-04-09, 12:17
I hear what you are saying and as a happily married father of three (slightly deranged) kids I completely understand. With that in mind I think you have two options. 1) learn the skills and purchase equipment as time and money permits. This may mean having to stretch things over 5 or 10 years. But thats the life of a married man 2) Start to form associations / friendships with others who have complimentary / supportive skills and equipment. No man is an island and in a survival situation, especially with family in tow, you are going to need numbers to make it through the situation. So I think for guys like you and me a combination of 1 and 2 will be our best options. Of course physical fitness can be done on your own every day. Just set aside a half to a full hour every day for that. Also remember to make this a family project. With their 'buy in" you'll probably find a lot more support than if you were doing this on your own. Just find the balance.

RogerinTPA
09-04-09, 12:33
Reminds me of this;

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-Robert A. Heinlein

I've always admired that quote and have often thought that Americans should be living/pursuing those skills, throughout their lives. Also learning and teaching those skills mentioned in that quote and this thread, when ever possible.

zushwa
09-04-09, 13:02
I hate touching raw meat for some reason but when push comes to shove, I can get over it. It is the main reason I don't hunt big game but that is going to change because my 14 year old pulled a deer tag for this fall. It's time to learn how to gut a deer. It's odd because I can get knee deep in grease working on the car but have an issue with blood and guts.

Dude, you would be surprised how many people can't and won't **** with a dead animal. When I was a SERE instructor we would get some of the hardest guys on the planet and they did the pee pee dance when it came to game skinning.

You would also be surprised how many guys think they can dress game and end up butchering it (no pun intended).

yallknowho
09-04-09, 14:47
I think it is Popular Mechanics that publishes an annual list of the 100 things a man should be able to do -- looks a lot like the OP's list...

My wife always says that there should be a "man school" where they use that list as the curriculum.

that's what dads are for. unfortunately everything in that capacity I had to teach myself.

citizensoldier16
09-04-09, 16:32
that's what dads are for.

Amen to that! I've learned many things, if not all of them on that list, from my dad. I don't have kids yet, but I fully plan to impart all the knowlege my father passed down to me onto my children.

Obiwan
09-04-09, 18:28

Yes....because if/when it all goes to heck you will be our king:D

RogerinTPA
09-04-09, 18:45

Like farting the theme to "Jaws".:p

Spade
09-11-09, 14:15
Good posts guys I ment to follow this tread closer but my internet has been down. I agree about the insuranse post, a good way to put it. It's funny that the dad thing got brought up. I was just talking with my father-in-law the other day how my dad did not teach me alot of the skills I now wish I had, such as hunting, skinning, & the sort. However my father-in-law jumped in & took me under his wing a lot of this. I have only been hunting whitetail for the past four years. So here is my father-in-law trying to teach a 30 year old guy how to skin a deer. Good times. Just goes to show you that if you really want to learn something it is never to late.

Bill Bryant
09-11-09, 18:54
Safely and accurately run a table saw, router table, and compound sliding miter saw
Safely and accurately run a metal lathe, end mill, and drill press
Pilot a single engine aircraft
Kill, skin, cook, and eat a rabbit, squirrel, and rattlesnake
Run a welder
Solder a resistor or capacitor into a circuit board

MSP "Sarge"
09-11-09, 23:29
Ride and take care of a horse.
Milk a cow or goat.

RogerinTPA
09-12-09, 11:53
Make a fire without matches (Fire saw, bow, spindle, static electrical, using car bat, etc..)

Make/collect water and make potable (Solar still, boiling, iodine tabs, filtering, etc..).

Abraxas
09-13-09, 21:35
Also remember to make this a family project. With their 'buy in" you'll probably find a lot more support than if you were doing this on your own. Just find the balance.

That is a trick in and of itself. Mine does not care that I have this interest, she simply sees it as silliness.

Gutshot John
09-13-09, 21:44
Like farting the theme to "Jaws".:p

I'd pay good money to see that.

MarshallDodge
09-14-09, 00:08
Another one-
Understanding the basics of how an internal combustion engine works including fuel, spark, compression, and how to check for them.

When I was younger I would pick lawnmowers out of the trash and take them home. Most of the time they just needed a minor tune up or the carburetor cleaned. One of them was a really nice Honda that just had the blade put on backward. I would sell them pretty quick which helped put the down payment on my first house.

Recently the maintenance guy at my office was tossing two generators. I brought them home and got both of them running in about 10 minutes. One of them does not make any power but I plugged a sawzall into the other one and it runs it just fine. I will probably hold on to them in case a neighbor or friend could use one in a catastrophe.

jtb0311
09-15-09, 10:24
I delivered my own daughter last November. We'd decided on a home birth, assisted by licensed nurse midwives.

I could deliver a baby again.

Honu
09-18-09, 05:53
I guess prepared for what ? *since this is a disaster prepared forum ? I will go with prepared for a disaster :)

most important in some sense is medical !! know how to set a broken bone properly and or most other medical emergencies etc..

you can be the toughest most accurate shooter who can milk skin and make clothes out of the bear you just killed :)

but if you break a leg and cant set it proper you are dead !!!!

have you ever severed a artery then fixed it and mended yourself up on your own ?

not that the others are not good and cool to learn as I would like to learn more about preparing food for long term storage that I shot ! OK I got a dead deer now what can I do to keep the meat and use it a long time ?

but to me its medical emergencies that are going to be the most vital thing to know in some sense ? hope to never use them :)

maybe be prepared in basic stuff for your area ? I know I can live on a tropical island since I am from them :)
and have lived off the land for some time with my buddy just to see how it would be !!! and its tough to do !!
but we did it :) and learned a ton from it

MSP "Sarge"
09-23-09, 12:48
Honu makes a good point. Medical Emergencies