PDA

View Full Version : Bolt release lever

tanker
04-18-09, 13:22
I've done a search on this with no luck. I was watching The Art of the Tactical Carbine this week and Travis had a bolt release assist lever that extended down into the trigger guard of his rifle. Do any of you know who makes this and it's availability. I thought it might be interesting to try. Thanks.

LOKNLOD
04-18-09, 14:25
It's a prototype, not available for purchase.

Puffy93
04-18-09, 14:33
It's a prototype. Magpul I believe. Not out yet

CAPT KIRK
04-18-09, 14:44
Me to... Plan on adding one also as soon as Travis and Magpul get it to market.

Kimbo
04-18-09, 14:45
There's a few companies who came out with it way before Magpul showed theirs IIRC. The only difference in their design and Magpul's is that it extends into the trigger area.

steve-oh
04-18-09, 16:23
Magpul B.A.D., right? Battery assist device or something?

Tokarev
06-21-09, 17:04
Has anybody tried one of these?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=165370

5pins
06-21-09, 19:03
Here is a copy of a short review I did on another forum of a product called the Sure Shot.

The Sure Shot not B.A.D.

A few weeks ago I was looking through the latest Brownells AR 15/M 16 catalog #4 and notice an page 19 a product called the Sure Shot Extended Bolt Release.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=25786/sku/Bolt_Release_I

I know that Magpul has a product called the Battery Assist Device also know as the B.A.D. that allows a person to release the bolt with the trigger finger. I was not aware of anyone other then Magpul with a product like this. About a week later I was placing an order with them and decided to try it out.

I ordered the Extended Bolt Release II because they were out of the EBR I. The EBR II has larger pad for your finger, other then that they appear to be the same. It comes with the release two set screws and an allen wrench. It‘s made out of aluminum with a black finish.
http://generalcartridge.net/images/PICT3136.JPG

Installation was simple and did not require any disassembly of the rifle. Making sure the rifle is unloaded lock the bolt to the rear. Slide the device over the bolt catch, the large part that your thumb uses to release the bolt, and tighten the set screw down with the supplied allen wrench. That’s it.
http://generalcartridge.net/images/PICT3138.JPG
http://generalcartridge.net/images/PICT3139.JPG

Using the device is also simple. Stick your trigger finger through the trigger guard and push. At first I thought it was a little awkward and I had concerns about having my finger that far in the trigger guard but when using it with a magazine with dummy ammo my concern went away. Is it faster than using your thumb? Yes, and with a little practice I can see how someone could become very fast. I can see this becoming popular with the three gun crowed.
http://generalcartridge.net/images/PICT3140.JPG
http://generalcartridge.net/images/PICT3141.JPG

Simple well made and works like it’s designed to. I like it.

dcmdon
06-21-09, 21:35
If you are a lefty, Brownells has a device that attaches to the upper bolt release paddle.

If you release the bolt with your weak hand by wrapping around the front of the mag well, it can be configured to extend the release forward, to shorten the reach for your weak hand.

If you would like to be able to reach it with your trigger finger, the extension can be set to extend the release rearward, just enough so I can reach it easily.

Pretty cool stuff for us lefties.

Don

rob_s
06-22-09, 05:37
There's a few companies who came out with it way before Magpul showed theirs IIRC. The only difference in their design and Magpul's is that it extends into the trigger area.

FWIW, that difference is the entire point of the BAD.

A lot of people focus on the wrong thing when looking at the BAD. Yeah, it's being viewed by most as a way to speed up their emergency reloads, but it's real value is in clearing double feeds while maintaining the firing grip and/or when using a Redimag. That's why that difference is so valuable.

Frens
06-22-09, 06:18
+1 on Rob

not only the BAD is used to release the bolt, but it's also used to lock the bolt to the rear in order to clear FTF

Blackjack272
06-22-09, 06:38
They need to hurry up! Got one gun right now, and another incoming and two redimags that need em!

S/F

k_cheerangie
06-22-09, 10:30
Looks like you gotta stick your finger pretty far in to hit that lever..........some people will know where I am getting at with this.:D

markm
06-22-09, 10:45
The B.A.D looks to be an amazing gadget for the rare times you would need it. (malfs) Locking the bolt back manually without the device is definitely a pisser, especially when you're in a hurry.

JLSKIP
06-22-09, 12:28
I've used the one from Tango5 @ calguns and like the concept a lot. My main reason for wanting to try one was for locking the bolt back without taking my right hand off the grip. I took to using the device very quickly it feels quite natural to me. I look forward to seeing what Travis/Magpul end up releasing when they get around to it.

snappy
06-22-09, 13:07
Here's a link to a recent GT thread with contact info for a couple of companies currently offering bolt release levers; Phase 5 and Tango 5. There are some pretty good pics showing the different styles mounted. I agree that a significant reason for putting one of these on is to lock the bolt open without having to change you hands all around. An easy answer to one of my quirks with the AR platform. Hope this is useful.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1072899

CaptainDooley
06-22-09, 13:12
Two quick questions -

1. Does a device like this have any benefit to a left handed shooter - or is this a righty only kind of thing? I ask because I'm not seeing the benefit, but I don't want to over look anything that could help me run my carbine more efficiently.

2. Many people seem to advocate training with a stock rifle so that you will be able to use any AR you pick up - with something like this and the RediMag/Mod would you recommend only going to something like this after extensive training/experience with a stock rifle?

dcmdon
06-23-09, 02:04
this seems to have no value to lefties.

The extended release I described above seems pretty convenient. I mean thats what they're after with that device, the ability to drop the bolt with the trigger finger. The extended release accomplishes that for lefties.

I'm torn between the optomization vs leave it stock schools of thought.

I've had ambi selectors on my guns for a long time. To me, its a safety thing. I have an ambi mag release on one of my lower. Thats much faster for a speed reload, but not much different for a tactical reload, since your weak (right)hand is up there anyway to remove the mag, your thumb falls readily on the standard release.

I think I'm going to leave my bolt release stock. I can do fine with it the way it is. Its not optimal, but its reasonably quick since I hold the front of the mag well when shooting quickly.

Don

.45fmjoe
06-23-09, 14:37
Two quick questions -

1. Does a device like this have any benefit to a left handed shooter - or is this a righty only kind of thing? I ask because I'm not seeing the benefit, but I don't want to over look anything that could help me run my carbine more efficiently.

2. Many people seem to advocate training with a stock rifle so that you will be able to use any AR you pick up - with something like this and the RediMag/Mod would you recommend only going to something like this after extensive training/experience with a stock rifle?

I'm not picking up any rifles to get into a fight, I buy tier one so I don't have to worry, I maintain them and keep them lubed so they will outlast me. I'll train with my rifle because that's the one I'll use if I need one. So #2 is a moot point for me. ;)

dcmdon
06-23-09, 20:53
One other factor is that to do ambi controls (bolt release, selector, mag release) adds about $150 to the price of a rifle.

If you shoot 4 ARs, they should have the same controls. Thats $600.