PDA

View Full Version : Question about IWB carry

murphy j
04-18-09, 23:30
As some of you know I recently picked up my first Glock (G19). My intention is to use this for concealed carry and to that end I picked up a Desantis Cozy Partner to experiment with. I've worn it around the house and out a couple of times, but I'm finding it a bit uncomfortable and seem to be adjusting it regularly to ease a pinch or get it to ride a bit more comfortable. The question that pops immediately to mind is 'Do I need to go to a slightly bigger pant size to facilitate better comfort?' or is this more likely a case of holster break in and getting used to something I haven't done before? Any input from you guys that carry IWB regularly would be appreciated. Thanks.

padwan
04-19-09, 04:43
Your pants have to be large enough to contain you and the holstered pistol. If not, you will be in agony all day.

Some people advocate getting something two sizes larger but I've been able to do well with the next size up.

Good luck!

mattj
04-19-09, 04:51
An upside of 'tactical' pants is that most of them have some sort of elastic-expanding waistband that makes for good waist fit both when carrying and when not -- most of the brands have 'discrete' designs if you are concerned about looking like a cop.

Beat Trash
04-19-09, 05:15
It also depends on where on you body you carry the gun.

I realize that the apex carry is the current "in vogue" thing. I never warmed up to this. When carried this way (around 2 o'clock) guns tend to poke me in the crotch when sitting, looks like I have a lump in the front side of my pants when standing, and I REALLY cant get comfortable with a pistol pointed at my "privates".

I have been carrying my pistols IWB for the last 26 years at about 4-5 o'clock, over my kidney. The way my body is, there tends to be a little extra room in this spot of the waist line of my pants. Usually one size up will suffice for me. With blue jeans, so long as the are not tight to start, (snug ok, tight no way) I don't even have to go up a size.

ToddG
04-19-09, 08:34
The DeSantis Cozy Partner may look like many other well designed IWB holsters, but there's a reason it's $50 compared to 2-3 times that price for a good piece of custom leather. Relatively small changes to things like ride height, cant, etc. make a huge difference.
Are you using a good, stiff gun belt or just a belt you had lying around?
Where on your body are you carrying the gun?
IWB will feel weird at first.

I carried traditional 4 o'clock IWB for many years before switching to appendix carry. Now, after less than a year of appendix carry, if I try to carry regular IWB it feels uncomfortable to me. I'm sure if I did it for a couple of hours I'd get used to it again.

murphy j
04-19-09, 09:04
The DeSantis Cozy Partner may look like many other well designed IWB holsters, but there's a reason it's $50 compared to 2-3 times that price for a good piece of custom leather. Relatively small changes to things like ride height, cant, etc. make a huge difference.
Are you using a good, stiff gun belt or just a belt you had lying around?
Where on your body are you carrying the gun?
IWB will feel weird at first.

I carried traditional 4 o'clock IWB for many years before switching to appendix carry. Now, after less than a year of appendix carry, if I try to carry regular IWB it feels uncomfortable to me. I'm sure if I did it for a couple of hours I'd get used to it again.

The Desantis was availible so I grabbed it to experiment with. It's apparent to me that there has to be better out there. I also have a Kramer IWB #3 on order.

I'm carrying at the traditional 4 o'clock. The belt I'm using is a Spec-Ops riggers style belt that I normaly wear with my ACUs. It's the stiffest belt I have, but that's not very stiff. I definately need a better belt.

The weird feeling has been noticed, but I think it's something I can live with and get used to.

ToddG
04-19-09, 09:11
The Desantis was availible so I grabbed it to experiment with. It's apparent to me that there has to be better out there. I also have a Kramer IWB #3 on order.

The IWB#3 is one of my favorite IWB holsters. I've got two or three for various guns.

With a G19, although a lot of people will say they "don't even realize it's there," what they really mean is it's small and light enough that it's easy to forget ... think about sitting on a chair. You don't really "feel" the chair but if you think about it you definitely know it's there. Until you get used to carrying IWB, you'll be thinking about it and thus it will be much more obvious to you. Just be cognizant of the difference between "I can feel it" and "it is uncomfortable." If it's uncomfortable, something is wrong.

John_Wayne777
04-19-09, 09:12
As some of you know I recently picked up my first Glock (G19). My intention is to use this for concealed carry and to that end I picked up a Desantis Cozy Partner to experiment with. I've worn it around the house and out a couple of times, but I'm finding it a bit uncomfortable and seem to be adjusting it regularly to ease a pinch or get it to ride a bit more comfortable.

Concealed carry is all about 2 things:

1. How you dress
2. Carry gear

Belt -- you need a belt capable of supporting the weight of a firearm and the accessories for the firearm. Personally I usually wear an Eagle Industries instructor belt, which is a heavy nylon belt that supports an M&P, 2 spare mags, a light, a BUG and the other daily carry stuff quite well. Nylon belts are a bit of a giveaway, but I always wear an untucked shirt so nobody sees the belt. You can find nice leather belts from Galco and other makers of gunleather that are re-enforced with steel or hard nylon strips to adequately support a handgun and the neccessary accessories. You absolutely MUST use a decent belt if you hope to carry concealed.

Pants -- generally most find it useful to buy pants one size larger than normal to accommodate the IWB carry of a handgun.

The question that pops immediately to mind is 'Do I need to go to a slightly bigger pant size to facilitate better comfort?' or is this more likely a case of holster break in and getting used to something I haven't done before? Any input from you guys that carry IWB regularly would be appreciated. Thanks.

A size up in waist is often a good idea, but it isn't strictly necessary for everyone.

If you are serious about concealed carry you must accept these truths:

1. You must buy quality carry gear. This will be expensive. Trust me: It's worth it. Kydex helps this somewhat. When I first saw kydex holsters I thought it was the stupidest thing I've ever seen. "Who is gonna cram a big piece of plastic down their pants?" Then I tried one and found out that the kool-aid was good stuff. Since then I've bought kydex almost exclusively. It's durable and a tad cheaper than some of the really good leather out there.

2. You will spend a nice chunk of money on gear that doesn't work well for you before you find the right stuff for your needs.

What works best for comfort and concealment varies from individual to individual. Personally I find that the Raven Concealment Systems carry gear works splendidly for me. You'll hear other guys talk about other brands that they use. It's all highly dependent upon the variables unique to that individual.

Some time with your current holster may indeed help make it feel more comfortable. In general IWB carry takes a bit of getting used to. After a week or so it should be no big deal...but if your holster sucks (for your purposes) it won't feel "right." You may need to invest in some different holsters.

Gump
04-19-09, 09:22
I carry my G19 in a C-tac IWB. It's a tuckable iwb, and it's really comfortable. I carry at 3 o'clock.
http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=61

murphy j
04-19-09, 09:44
1. You must buy quality carry gear. This will be expensive. Trust me: It's worth it. Kydex helps this somewhat. When I first saw kydex holsters I thought it was the stupidest thing I've ever seen. "Who is gonna cram a big piece of plastic down their pants?" Then I tried one and found out that the kool-aid was good stuff. Since then I've bought kydex almost exclusively. It's durable and a tad cheaper than some of the really good leather out there.

2. You will spend a nice chunk of money on gear that doesn't work well for you before you find the right stuff for your needs. [/QUOTE]

I've always found these to be true. I have 6 1/2yrs Active Duty and 4yrs in the Guard. When Active I was the guy that the younger joes came to for advice on any new piece of gear. I'm still to this day purchasing gear and running it through the wringer to identify weaknesses.

Scapegoat
04-19-09, 11:22
Carry my Sig 245 with it everyday, like it's not even there. Not overpriced and great customer service as well.

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95

dsg2003gt
04-19-09, 11:36
just go work out and lose 5-10 lbs. It will save you from buying all new pants.;)

xray 99
04-19-09, 12:17
The Milt Sparks Executive Companion (and other similar holsters) works best for me, and I've tried most leather models. The flange really adds to comfort.

DacoRoman
04-19-09, 12:53

I'm curious, what gun do you normally carry AIWB?

ChristopherM4
04-19-09, 14:42
Carry my Sig 245 with it everyday, like it's not even there. Not overpriced and great customer service as well.

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95

+1 on the MTAC. I have one for the G17 that I carry a G19 and G26 with. Also have one for the H&K P7 and am planning on getting another for the Springfield 1911. All carry at the 3 o'clock and with a good gun belt I forget it's there. I recently started buy +1 pants and it's much more comfortable carry.

Topher

ToddG
04-19-09, 16:22
I'm curious, what gun do you normally carry AIWB?

S&W M&P9 (full size)

theant
04-20-09, 10:35
I carry my G23 and my 27 in a crossbreed holster with a beltman belt at about 3:15. The combination of the two ended up costing me about $150.00 but that was chump change considering all of the old cheap belts and holsters I have tossed. Good luck with your search and remember what works for someone else may not work for you.

four
04-20-09, 10:51
The other thing that most people don't consider is that you need to cinch down your belt a little more than you might be comforatable with. It's doing more work, holding more stuff up so it's going to be a little tight. Your pants have to be big enough, but you can't let your belt sag or else it's gonna fall down on the job.

But dont' worry, your hips will adapt to the gear and the weight. It happens to anyone that carries lots of weight on thier hips. From backpackers to cops. Just remember that you're letting you body adjust to the new weight and straps and belts.