PDA

View Full Version : DD Lite Rail + under slung shotgun

lanceriley
04-19-09, 04:57
I've always wanted an m4 masterkey configuration.

it's an m4 with an underslung remington 870.

my question is. can the DD Lite rail carry the weight of the remington 870? assuming that I can have a machine shop attach a QD attachment point on top of the shotgun.

or is it limited to an 870? what about mossy? or maybe a semiauto.

DrBaker
04-19-09, 09:24
The DD Lite is very strong, but I would do plenty of research before building one to hang on it. I have a 12" Rem 870 SBS and have looked at making my own MasterKey.

Below are a few pics that might give you some ideas on how to mount it. One is a KAC MasterKey and the other is a Remington 870mcs.

http://www.autoweapons.com/photos08/jun/mastrkeyb.jpg
http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/images/smallarms/870mcs_AxxWpn.jpg

lanceriley
04-19-09, 18:35
yep that's what I was looking for. I think the 1st pix would look right. removing the lower handguard. where do you get that mount?

2nd pix looks like its sitting too low.

does the poi change?

DrBaker
04-19-09, 19:09
I'm not sure if either company will sell the mount seperately. I've seen both complete kits go for over $2k. I would recommend building your own mount and modifying an SBS'd 870.

lanceriley
04-19-09, 23:53
2k $ mount?? that's waaay too expensive.

the shotgun... i'll just source out cheap ones...

the mount... one side hangs on the m4 cut. the other side? where does it hold?

i'll probably have to ask a local machinist to make the mount. I doubt it will cost that much.

Dunderway
04-20-09, 00:24
I won't question your motives for building this, but am I the only one that thinks it would be a lot better and cheaper to just have an SBS slung over your back or strapped to your pack? Why make your M4 heavy and cumbersome for something you will most likely rarely use? I have never needed a breeching shotgun and a carbine in the same instance, so maybe someone could enlighten me.

lanceriley
04-20-09, 04:32
dunderway,

Im no LEO or Military. Im just a gun nut. let's just call it a childhood fantasy lol.

It's just a crazy idea that's all....

Dunderway
04-20-09, 08:27
That's about all the reason you need. I was honestly just curious about the theory behind the whole system. I wonder how well it would work to mount one using the 870's takedown pins?

lanceriley
04-20-09, 10:15
aside from hanging it ... my other concern is when you actually use it. if you hold it on the take down pins. ... they might be too small?

BWill
11-24-14, 14:30
The DD Lite is very strong, but I would do plenty of research before building one to hang on it. I have a 12" Rem 870 SBS and have looked at making my own MasterKey.

Below are a few pics that might give you some ideas on how to mount it. One is a KAC MasterKey and the other is a Remington 870mcs.

http://www.autoweapons.com/photos08/jun/mastrkeyb.jpg
http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/images/smallarms/870mcs_AxxWpn.jpg

Hi Dr. Baker, I am a Canadian archaeologist and I am writing a paper on a pinfire shotgun shell we found in Toronto and the shotgun's change over time. I was wondering if I could use your picture of the MasterKey system? I have been having a heck of time trying to track down a picture of one. I am using it to show how the shotgun has changed to a specialized tool used by Spec Ops units for breeching and close quarters combant and showing this picture when talking about Operation Gothic Serpent/Blackhawk Down. Thanks in advance

Iraqgunz
11-24-14, 15:27
This thread is over 5 years old. If you want a response I suggest you send him a private message.

Hi Dr. Baker, I am a Canadian archaeologist and I am writing a paper on a pinfire shotgun shell we found in Toronto and the shotgun's change over time. I was wondering if I could use your picture of the MasterKey system? I have been having a heck of time trying to track down a picture of one. I am using it to show how the shotgun has changed to a specialized tool used by Spec Ops units for breeching and close quarters combant and showing this picture when talking about Operation Gothic Serpent/Blackhawk Down. Thanks in advance

BWill
11-24-14, 16:00
This thread is over 5 years old. If you want a response I suggest you send him a private message.

Thanks Iraqgunz. I'm a green horn on these things