PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LCR

montanadave
04-19-09, 13:15
I see where the LCR is finding its way into the stores (and GunBroker). Anybody tried one out?

Dave L.
04-19-09, 14:21
I'm on a list for a 442, but I am also curious about these guns. I own a GP100 with a 4" barrel but it has more dust on it than GSR.

...the thought of a plastic revolver is a little scary :(

woodandsteel
04-19-09, 14:32
On Gunbroker they seem to be priced in the $500 to $600 range. I was kind of hoping they would be more competitively priced with the S&W 442 and 642.

Bud's Gunshop doesn't show them listed yet.

Anyone know of any online retailers that have them under $500?

rly45acp
04-19-09, 14:56
We've had two in the store and while I have not been able to fire live rounds from one, I can say four things about them so far:

1. They are incredibly ugly and cheap looking;

2. The sights are very good for a snubby -- close to an SP-101;

3. The trigger pull is amazingly good. I'd liken it to a Colt Detective Special that's been through the custom shop. A bit of stack up, but smooth and light. Better than any Smith we have in the store and even my custom J-frame, though the LCR trigger makes a twangy sound at times that I liken to hearing the spring compress in an AR;

4. It points great. Not high like Smith's with the standard grips. Then again, the grip is a bit large and MAY not work for either men or with very small hands. Not as large as the grips on the Smith Night Guards, but larger than LG-405's or the Uncle Mike's grips.

They sell for $399.99 at this point in time. We have yet to see the CT model come through. I was somewhat repelled by its looks and cheapness when I first saw one, but after playing around with it awhile, I began to think of it as a worthy replacement for my venerable J-frame. Only time and shooting will tell.

woodandsteel
04-19-09, 15:00
We've had two in the store and while I have not been able to fire live rounds from one, I can say four things about them so far:

1. They are incredibly ugly and cheap looking;

2. The sights are very good for a snubby -- close to an SP-101;

3. The trigger pull is amazingly good. I'd liken it to a Colt Detective Special that's been through the custom shop. A bit of stack up, but smooth and light. Better than any Smith we have in the store and even my custom J-frame, though the LCR trigger makes a twangy sound at times that I liken to hearing the spring compress in an AR;

4. It points great. Not high like Smith's with the standard grips. Then again, the grip is a bit large and MAY not work for either men or with very small hands. Not as large as the grips on the Smith Night Guards, but larger than LG-405's or the Uncle Mike's grips.

They sell for $399.99 at this point in time. We have yet to see the CT model come through. I was somewhat repelled by its looks and cheapness when I first saw one, but after playing around with it awhile, I began to think of it as a worthy replacement for my venerable J-frame. Only time and shooting will tell.

$399.99 is a little more reasonable. And I like what you have to say about the trigger.

Thanks for the quick review.

montanadave
04-19-09, 18:17
There are a couple of threads over on the The Firing Line with some positive comments regarding the LCR's handling and design (as well as several references to its rather homely appearance). Those that have purchased and shot them seem impressed and happy with the LCR but, then again, most folks aren't in a big hurry to say, "Shit! I never should have spent my money on this thing" (at least until after they have convinced someone else to take it off their hands.

varoadking
04-20-09, 04:36
Deleted...