PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

miss debbie
04-19-09, 22:16
Hi there everyone my husband is going to graduate with his MBA in business management; I have around 700.00 dollars to spend on a gift for him I am undecided on what to get him the choices are either scenario A new handgun a .357mag S&W M28 or Remington 870p (he already has a 870 express).
Scenarios B buy ammo for AR and accessories for the rifle? If you were going to buy yourself a gift what would you get?

thedog
04-19-09, 22:32
Hi there everyone my husband is going to graduate with his MBA in business management; I have around 700.00 dollars to spend on a gift for him I am undecided on what to get him the choices are either scenario A new handgun a .357mag S&W M28 or Remington 870p (he already has a 870 express).
Scenarios B buy ammo for AR and accessories for the rifle? If you were going to buy yourself a gift what would you get?

Miss D., I would give him the 7H and tell him it's for whatever guns/accessories he can get!
And, you totally rock!!!!!!!!!!

This way, he can't complain...

dog

parishioner
04-19-09, 22:54
My girlfriend needs to take notes from you.

Can I give you her number? :p

miss debbie
04-19-09, 22:59
Miss D., I would give him the 7H and tell him it's for whatever guns/accessories he can get!
And, you totally rock!!!!!!!!!!

This way, he can't complain...

dog

I would do that but I wanted it to be a surprise.

SeriousStudent
04-19-09, 23:09
Congrats to your husband on completing his masters.

Perhaps a gift card? You could get him $700 of Visa gift cards. They do, however, often exact a surcharge.

thedog
04-19-09, 23:29

Unless this is your Modus Operandi, I think it would be a surprise! Either way, if you can't figure it out, everybody (at least around these parts!) loves gun/ammo/accessory money!
I don't see you going wrong. And you didn't exactly describe his preferences..

And you sound like my own sweetheart, but with more money!! ;) I wish you both all the best!!!

dog

murphy j
04-19-09, 23:47
Surprise him with the money. I'm pretty sure he'll be happy.

Dunderway
04-20-09, 00:02
I would honestly go with something other than the cash or ammo. I firearm from a loved one is something that you keep and cherish forever. I don't know anyone that wouldn't want an 870P, even if they already have an express. An 870P with walnut furniture and possibly a personal message inscribed on it would be a timeless gift.

Bonus: He would totally have to give you his express after that.

thopkins22
04-20-09, 00:09
870P or handgun...ammo is consumable and currently overpriced. AR accessories aren't going anywhere even with possible freedom hating legislation on the horizon. A quality firearm is something that he/ya'll can pass on to children.

...Where are these awesome women that buy guns/ammo/accessories for their hubbies/boyfriends? I look and look...with no luck.:mad:

ETA: If you go with a handgun I don't know that I'd go with a revolver. Personally I'd want another Glock or a M&P...plus that way you could save a hundred bucks or two and buy ammo/magazines.

woodandsteel
04-20-09, 05:05

There are some good answers about giving your husband the money or choice of what to buy. But, something about and old S&W M28, just seems to be an apropriate gift. It has beauty and class that you just don't find in firearms anymore. And it is sure to become a priceless family heirloom. Of course, any of the older blued revolvers from S&W would be great, also.

Nathan_Bell
04-20-09, 09:43
Grat's to your hubby.

I would say go with a firearm. Kind of like a guy buying a piece of jewelry for his love. He knows that it will be around forever and be enjoyed for years to come. The ammo, cash, or accesories will be used up or changed, and then...?

Which one do you think that he would like the most, but not buy for himself? Those are the gifts that I enjoy getting and receiving the most.

mmike87
04-20-09, 10:00
I agree - get him something that will last. And nothing in your list says "Happy graduation" more than a .357 mag IMO. :)
Get it engraved for that personal touch.

rat31465
04-20-09, 10:39
As thedog said you ROCK!!!!!!
As someone who has recently started back to school to finish a degree program I have to say that it is great to hear that your husband is nearing completion of an MBA especially....Ill be happy enough to earn my Bachelors.
Give him the money on a gift card that way it can still be a surprise....

another idea would be to just pack him up one day and don't tell him where you are taking him....when you turn into the gun stores parking lot then break the news to him and let him then decide for himself....

miss debbie
04-21-09, 07:52
Thanks for all the kind words where would you find a 870p at?

SeriousStudent
04-21-09, 18:14
Grant will sell you one at a good price. He's a Remington LE dealer, if I recall correctly.

http://www.gandrtactical.com

And you are supporting a worthy cause - the college fund for his kids. :D

mtk
04-21-09, 19:23

Then give it to him while dressed in a little French maid costume. ;)

Safetyhit
04-21-09, 20:06

I can't imagine having a woman who thinks like you in my life, not in 20 lifetimes. Where I come from, you would be considered an oddity.

God bless you. :)

1BadBushmaster
04-22-09, 10:49

I vote new hand gun...... Look at the springfield XD45. They run about $500 and then you can still purchase ammo for him. Or even the S & W M&P 45. All really great guns and have that tactical look to them...... By the way.... do you have a single sister.......hehehe

theJanitor
04-22-09, 11:42
MissD,

You gave us TWO options for a gift. and seeing as though you were pretty specific about those options, means that you've thought hard about them as well. So there is no sense in leading you down different paths regarding ammo, gift cards, different pistols, etc.

of your two choices, i would give him the 357. a revolver is more of a personal gift with style and class, whereas the 870 could be likened to the proverbial vacuum cleaner. MY personal preference for gifting a revolver would be a single action or a J-frame, but that's just me ;)

carbinero
04-22-09, 16:12
I'm not into revolvers or shotguns, so no comment there. I'd pick Scenario B.

Assuming your man already has an AR, take that $700 right over to Harrison at ar15performance.com and get a complete AR-15 upper, in either 5.56 or 6.8spc, with a YHM diamond rail and flip front sight/gas block. I'm guessing the wait time is now about 2 months. If you post what kind of upper he currently has, everyone will chime in, as to whether a new upper is warranted, and which configuration. OR...

If he doesn't already have the following...who would be disappointed to get a Blue Force Gear Vicker's sling? And if his AR has standard plastic handguards (not a quad rail), a BFG Universal Wire Loop is an amazing piece of kit for only $20.

If his AR has iron sights only (no scope/red dot), I would pee my pants to get a 1-4x Trijicon as a gift...well, maybe jump up and down, anyhow.

Another fine gift is a battle pack of seven (7) Magpul p-mags, which should cost just over $100.

I see nothing wrong with a gift of fine ammo. Some people prefer a good smoke, like a $20 cigar--I prefer projectiles. Hie thee hence to Silver State Ammo, where they're rolling some primo 5.56 and 6.8. If he's a 5.56 guy, get the 75-77 grain loads. Any friend of mine would get teary eyed over a few hundred rounds of these.

You, Miss Debbie, are a catch.

miss debbie
04-22-09, 16:41
I'm not into revolvers or shotguns, so no comment there. I'd pick Scenario B.

Assuming your man already has an AR, take that $700 right over to Harrison at ar15performance.com and get a complete AR-15 upper, in either 5.56 or 6.8spc, with a YHM diamond rail and flip front sight/gas block. I'm guessing the wait time is now about 2 months. If you post what kind of upper he currently has, everyone will chime in, as to whether a new upper is warranted, and which configuration. OR...

If he doesn't already have the following...who would be disappointed to get a Blue Force Gear Vicker's sling? And if his AR has standard plastic handguards (not a quad rail), a BFG Universal Wire Loop is an amazing piece of kit for only $20.

If his AR has iron sights only (no scope/red dot), I would pee my pants to get a 1-4x Trijicon as a gift...well, maybe jump up and down, anyhow.

Another fine gift is a battle pack of seven (7) Magpul p-mags, which should cost just over $100.

I see nothing wrong with a gift of fine ammo. Some people prefer a good smoke, like a $20 cigar--I prefer projectiles. Hie thee hence to Silver State Ammo, where they're rolling some primo 5.56 and 6.8. If he's a 5.56 guy, get the 75-77 grain loads. Any friend of mine would get teary eyed over a few hundred rounds of these.

You, Miss Debbie, are a catch.

You all are making me blush! The upper he has is the same as mine a Noveske (sp) but his is a mid-length, am I saying it right? Vickers sling and wire loop he already has. The scope he has an Aimpoint would Trijicon be better? As bullets go what would be good? I have read in the forum that PMC is under pressured whatever that means,:confused: but what about this green tip ammo?

carbinero
04-22-09, 17:17
Since you mentioned Noveske and Aimpoint, I wouldn't mess with success.

Ammo-wise, as a gift, skip PMC and greentip. Ideally, you'd want Hornady T2 or the Black Hills MK 262 Mod 0. But that's probably impossible to find. So here are a few more options, although I haven't bought from ATG:

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php/pName/20rds-223-corbon-performance-match-77gr-hpbt-ammo/cName/223-556-hollow-point-ammo

I have had good success with this company:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=80265&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dammo%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html

I think Black Hills Blue Box is a great buy: factory reloaded at great prices. If you don't find 75-77 grain, 68-69 is also good.

woodandsteel
04-22-09, 17:40
I know I already posted here once, so I apologize if it sounds like I am repeating myself. I would definitely look again at the S&W Model 28. If not that, than the 870 sounds like a good second choice.

My wife, bless her heart, got me an ak-47 on year for Christmas. It is a beautiful rifle, and she had to do a lot of work to make it look as well as it does. I will never part with it. And I still remember opening the gift up. Here is a pic of it. I love showing it off;

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo187/woodandsteel/IMG_1938JPG.jpg

When I got married, my dad bought me a Beretta AL390 shotgun as a wedding gift. I might take that gun out of the safe once a year to shoot some clays. But, it is a nice looking shotgun, and because of who gave it to me and why, I will never part with it. (sorry, but no pics of that gun yet)

So, I say, buy your husband a gun. This is a life event. He deserves a momento of that event. A gun will last a lot longer than a case of ammo or any optics that you will buy him. Even if it just sits in a safe or on a mantle most of the time, your husband will always remember why it was given to him and whom it was given by.

exkc135driver
04-22-09, 22:39
Miss,

First, I agree with those who say that cash or a gift card, although versatile, is sterile and without soul. It's like giving him a necktie for Christmas. You can be more original than that. Give him something that he will keep and treasure forever ... no consumables such as money, gift cards, or ammo.

It sounds like both of you are in good shape in the AR department, so in deciding between the S&W and the 870, I would ask ... what does he already have? Since he already has an 870 Express I would suggest the revolver, but think about what handguns he already has. If he has bunches of Glocks, SIGs, and 1911s, then an S&W revolver would be a nice, and different, and memorable addition. On the other hand, if he has enough revolvers that the S&W would be "just another" revolver for him, then maybe that wouldn't be the best choice. Think about giving him a firearm that he doesn't have, and that is fairly different from what he already has.

Good luck with your choice.

C4IGrant
04-23-09, 09:26

Go with things that will either be banned or go up in cost (auto loading weapons and ammo).

You are setting the example for other wives. Keep up the good work and expect several PM's from members wanting to know if you have a Sister. ;)

C4