PDA

View Full Version : FN A2 SPR?

mark5pt56
04-20-09, 14:19
So, who can fill me in on the FN series of bolt guns? I'm trying to decide to go with the old tried and true 700 PSS or do the FN A2 SPR http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/model.asp?fid=FNF006&gid=FNG005&mid=FNM0022

More than likely, this will wear a Nightforce scope. If I do the 700, I will go with the Unimount, FN-probably the FN rings.

Mark

Ren
04-20-09, 15:00
I love my SPR's lots and lots. I have 3 loads using 178 amax, 185 berger bt, and 190 smks that will hold half MOA. I would highly recommend getting a CDI precision bottom metal installed to use the AICS mags so you can have the option to use 5 or 10 rounders. I would also highly recomend some badger rings instead of the FN's.

Mine is topped of with a USO 3-17 ergo with the MPR reticle.

If you have not done much researching bolt guns i would highly suggest going over to snipershide and doing lots of research before droping the coin on any bolt gun.

Now for the bad.... there have been a few multipage threads online where guys had barrel problems and have had to send the rifle back. Sometimes you can tell right away.. and sometimes it takes a thousand rounds or so to see your accuracy fail. One of the rifles was an A3G wich is saposta be FN's cream of the crop bolt gun. I guess I have been lucky twice, once with an A1 thats now in an A5 stock and an A2. Both are capable of half moa, on the bench, with the right load.

There is always the option of getting a used GAP or Surgeon rifle for a little bit more money that will probably already have a great bedding job, detachable bottom meatal, a nice trigger or trigger job, bolt knob of some kind, and the attention to detail that a bolt gun needs.

mark5pt56
04-20-09, 18:37
Do you know what happened with the barrels? Bad chrome I'm guessing?

I tend to be more of the stock, out of the box type. I know that I stand more of a chance needing or even wanting to do more on a stock remmy and less with the FN.

I was reading on the new bottom metal and the AI mags, Does that guy do the install? Other than maybe hard to find, any issues with the stock FN mags?

I know I can get a PSS in a local shop for about 950 out the door, has the new trigger in it. I meant to say direct mount earlier ref the NF mount. The one issue right off the bat is adding a stock pack on it to get the cheek to where it should be. Of course a new stock down the road will fix that.

On a side note, I stopped by Grice's in PA last week and they had a Savage bolt gun in there. It was the new model with the metal chassis, Any word on that puppy?

Ren
04-21-09, 09:34
I dont really know the particulars on what was going on with the barrels, but I do know that there were some bad ones in the bunch.

There is nothing wrong with a PSS or a 5R. For that price range you really cant go wrong. And there are plent of aftermarket parts and people to work on them too. As far as doing more or less to one or the other... the FN's come with a 20moa near base and a Mcmillan stock. So that is kinda nice. But dropping a Remmy into a Mcmillan stock isnt that big of a deal at all. You can always buy a Badger or CDI bottom metal for the Remingtons as well. Its a toss up. But If I had to do it all over again. Id just save up for a GAP or Surgeon or Patriot arms or one from Randy at rdprecision.

I have no idea on the savage... When I went to shot it seems that almost everybody is comming out with some kind of chassis system now.... Just drop the coin on a custom. Buy once, cry once......The first time you pull the trigger you will be glad you did.

mark5pt56
04-21-09, 18:48
I dont really know the particulars on what was going on with the barrels, but I do know that there were some bad ones in the bunch.

There is nothing wrong with a PSS or a 5R. For that price range you really cant go wrong. And there are plent of aftermarket parts and people to work on them too. As far as doing more or less to one or the other... the FN's come with a 20moa near base and a Mcmillan stock. So that is kinda nice. But dropping a Remmy into a Mcmillan stock isnt that big of a deal at all. You can always buy a Badger or CDI bottom metal for the Remingtons as well. Its a toss up. But If I had to do it all over again. Id just save up for a GAP or Surgeon or Patriot arms or one from Randy at rdprecision.

I have no idea on the savage... When I went to shot it seems that almost everybody is comming out with some kind of chassis system now.... Just drop the coin on a custom. Buy once, cry once......The first time you pull the trigger you will be glad you did.

I think I will go with the PSS and doodle with it. Maybe an A5 and the AI bottom metal down the road and some other goodies. I'll just shoot it for a bit and save up.

I spoke with a buddy today and he told me that he saw a couple SPR's have grouping issues, inconsistencies mainly.

I'm kind of Ar'ed out so a bolt gun or two--or three is in order. Have a couple hunting 700 rigs, nothing precision though.

theJanitor
04-21-09, 20:20
I run a PSS (300WM and 308) and my brother runs an FN (308). his shoots 1/4 moa (or less) better than mine, with handloads. with fedGM they are the same. my trigger is better, but his stock is nicer. I like the controlled action of the FN over the 700. i like his safety better. and i like that his bolt can be easily disassembled. my SA now resides in an AICS stock, and i have to say that i LOVE the AI mags.

If i were to do it again, i'd go with a GAP or the FN and use the AI mags

YMMV: sample size is one

steve-oh
04-22-09, 02:56
I sold my 700 in an AICS stock for an FN SPRA1 on the recommendation of a board member here. Don't regret it at all. The trigger is stupid easy to tune, and it shoots around MOA with south african. Groups shrink to comfortable below sub moa with 168 or 175 grain match ammo.
I don't think it's the end all be all of precision rifles, but for the cost it's a great shooter.

As you can see, I'm no marksman. The gun is more accurate than I am. 200 yards, 147(?) grain south african surplus. 5 shots.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l282/stevil0/IMG_5630.jpg

Ren
04-22-09, 14:31
Steve-oh... thats some pretty good dang shooting man. That bottom target looks about half moa minus the flyer. I wish I had areas like that in my backyard to strech my legs.

BigJim #1-8
04-23-09, 20:21
Just started experimenting with my FN-XP .308.Puts Hornady Tap 110 Grain into one hole @ 100yds.Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14 Z1000 Recticle.
Hoping to work up handloads using 168 gr Sierra Matchkings.
I've used Pre64 Model 70's for years & the controlled feed & claw extractor made me choose the FN.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!

Blackbart
04-26-09, 21:45
I don't know if this is factual so others can chime in if you have any insight. Last November I called FN and spoke with a inside rep who conveyed to me that the rifles were going to start to be manufactured in house in March/April and on to help improve quality control. Was this truth from the horses mouth or did I take the bait?

I haven't found one yet to get some trigger time on but the web feedback over the years has been positive for the most part and I've yet to hear of any production changes in house. In the end what I'll most likely end up doing is just continuing to put my pennies in a jar that will go towards a GA Precision.

Gunfighter13
04-27-09, 01:10
So, who can fill me in on the FN series of bolt guns? I'm trying to decide to go with the old tried and true 700 PSS or do the FN A2 SPR http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/model.asp?fid=FNF006&gid=FNG005&mid=FNM0022

More than likely, this will wear a Nightforce scope. If I do the 700, I will go with the Unimount, FN-probably the FN rings.

Mark

You would be better off with a Remington XCR or 5R mil than getting the PSS. The 40X trigger that comes on the XCR is very good and easy to adjust. As far as the FN, They perform about the same as a 700 sps Tactical with a good stock.

Everything talked about will be a good base gun and will serve you well provided you get good glass, base and rings.

noone
05-02-09, 12:45
Some years ago I bought an SPR A3G. I had accuracy problems and eventually FN replaced the rifle as I had one of the defective barrels.

The replacement rifle has had feeding issues. The rounds (#2,4) on the left side of the magazine jam into the rear of the barrel breech between the entry into the barrel, and the side of the receiver. If I try and feed the rounds VERY slowly, they will occasionally feed, but almost always they jam. If I feed the rounds briskly as you would when trying to get a quick follow up shot, they always jam.

FN has taken the rifle back 2x so far, and been unable to fix it. They now have the rifle for try #3. I don't mind giving them the chance to fix it as it is a very expensive rifle to replace. I'm not even for a moment making an excuse for an expensive rifle not working properly, but I am willing to allow FN the opportunity to make it work.

As they have already shown me that they are willing to replace a rifle that dosen't work, I am confident that they will either make it work, or replace it.

I hope they can get it to work because it REALLY shoots well. The rifle easily shoots .3-.4 MOA if I feed it good ammo.

A friend of mine with the removable magazine version had the same problem. He recently installed the AICS magazine system, and the problem was fixed. That system cost him about $400.00 if you count the bottom metal, and magazines. But he now has a rifle that shoots great, and feeds flawlessly.

KACSR15
05-06-09, 04:01
I don't have an FN yet but have done plenty of looking and pondering. I'll keep reading for the time being.

It's not often I see Grice's in Pa mentioned. Close to home and fair folks to deal with.

mrwickwire
05-06-09, 08:48
This is an excellent rifle. I would go with this one over a Remington. I have had my for about 2 years. I usually shoot 175 grn federal GM. It has consistently shot sub MOA. I have had no problems with mine.

CDNN has barreled actions if you want to do some customization. I think their prices are pretty OK.

mark5pt56
05-08-09, 22:11
I don't have an FN yet but have done plenty of looking and pondering. I'll keep reading for the time being.

It's not often I see Grice's in Pa mentioned. Close to home and fair folks to deal with.

I stopped by there on the way back from Niagara Falls, very nice place and a huge selection.

dutch
05-29-09, 17:05
I would do the FN any day, out of a half dozen or so 2 wsms btw, they shoot on par with any custom I have and thats many, along with and better than my TRG 22.. Had great luck personally and found few guns that will run with them.

Zhurdan
05-29-09, 17:20
I've really enjoyed my SPR. I've worked up a great 168g round that seems to work pretty well out to 550-600 but I haven't pushed it much past that yet. Mainly because I gotta find a place to stretch it out farther than that. It usually wears a bi-pod, but I take it off when it goes in the safe to save room. I'd definately buy another if the need arises.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r127/Zhurdan/rifles2-1.jpg

UVvis
05-30-09, 12:20
Zhurdan,

How ambidextrous is stock? Particularly in the comb and grip area?

Thanks

noone
05-30-09, 12:38
My SPR A3G (MacMillan) stock has two large knurled screws/bolts on the right side of the stock that are used to adjust the cheek piece up or down. If you removed them, the stock would be fine, but with the screws/bolts in place they would gouge into your cheek too much to allow for lefthanded shooting.

I haven't tried covering them up, but I suspect that the padding required would push your face too far out to get a good view through the scope.