PDA

View Full Version : WTK: Any Distance Runners & Road Bikers Here?

Agile53
04-21-09, 15:11
Just curious if we have any distance runners & road bikers here?
Before an achilles flareup last month, 75-100 running per month & biking 100.
Running distance since the '70s (1K per yr) but just started biking in early 2007.
Been out of the saddle until today, got in 30 but still not able to run. Happy to be on
the bike, now to get back to the running. Not a tri fella but sure we have some of
those here as well.
So whom else besides me in the street daily?
Agile53

DBautista
04-21-09, 16:34
Tri-junky here.

Funny thing is... I have never done an official half marathon, but I have done a half ironman distance triathlon! 1.2 mi swim, 56 mi bike, and a 13.1 run.

beaker1013
04-21-09, 18:46
Mountain and road here, but with a family, I'm not out there as much as I'd like to be.

Semper Fi,
Dave

Agile53
04-21-09, 20:56
DBautista-
just helped my son work (timimg) the 1/2 iron in NOLA, their 1st one there & hope they get their act together before next year.
Not the timimg mind you, the overall organization/race management. As a close friend w/ tons of timing/management experience said,
"having 3500 in your FIRST 1/2 iron can only be called greedy".
Hate you tri guys BTW, never done one, and @ 55 doubt I'll ever start now but ............

Beaker1013-
You'll have more time as they get older + you can teach them how to ride. Remember when mine were young, trust me it will all pass waay too quickly.

beaker1013
04-21-09, 21:46
Actually, I've been thinking about getting one of those stoller gizmos that hook up to the seat post. It won't be like a training workout with that thing on the back, but my son would enjoy it.

RudyN
04-21-09, 22:38
I have three road bikes and a Mountain Bike. I manage to get in about 200+ miles a month on the bikes and work out at the gym twice a week. Not to bad for an old guy (65+)

getchevyn
04-21-09, 23:35
Have been running for the last 27 years. I run about 2000 miles a year. Ran 30 marathons in the last 9 years. Fastest marathon time is 2 hours 52 Minutes. Qualify and ran the Boston marathon 4 times. Fastest mile last year at age 42 was 5 Minute 9 seconds. So yeah, I ran alot.;)

762tactical
04-22-09, 00:11
Actually, I've been thinking about getting one of those stoller gizmos that hook up to the seat post. It won't be like a training workout with that thing on the back, but my son would enjoy it.

Hey, a kid trailer or trail-a-bike can be a serious workout if you live some were with allot of hills!

I was a high end road mechanic in the SF bay area for a LONG time and road thousands of miles on road, fixed gear, BMX, duel slalom and down hill. I'm not much for cross country Mtn bikes? I only run when being chased.

randolph
04-23-09, 15:43
I do about everything.
I ride about 200 miles a week now, mix of road and mountain bikes. I’ve ran a number of marathons, 100 mile kayak events, lots of 2 hour to 3 day adventure races.
Triathlons up to a half M-dot. These days due to being a lazy athlete, biking and paddling is about it, running’s always sucked ;-)

cervelorider
04-24-09, 23:02
Since last summer I have backed way off on volume as I have been into other interests. From '02 to '08 I was doing quiet a bit swim, bike, run, but to be a good triathlete you can't do anything else and I got tired of never having enough time to tackle other hobbies. I'm still on the email list and I just chuckle when I get the weekend schedule, Typical Sat ride 70-80mi mod to hard, run EZ five miles after. Sun run 12mi mod and EZ 2 hour ride after. I have to say I don't miss it. I do miss the incredible amount of fitness I carried around but it really isn't applicable to real-life, not being able to do really physical work (heavy lifting) because I had gotten so lean was imasculating. The ability to drop and lay down a fast 5K or a 40K time trial isn't really appreciated or given a crap about outside the endurance community. I'm 43 and I'm proud that I can now do 100 pushups straight or 5x50 pushups with short rest, and my fast as crap, super fit tri-geek friends can't do anything close to that, I have to pick my battles :D

BillyBones
04-25-09, 06:44
Used to be a hardcore biker... long hauls, centuries, sprints etc.
Was good enough to break into racing but decided against it after witnessing some of the "ethical issues" in the professional circuit.

My favorite times was doing mountain work in the "gunks" of New Paltz with my peloton of buddies.

LOL, I was once told (recently) that cycling isn't good for cardio, endurance or stamina. Guess I shouldn't judge him too harshly... Don't think he ever exeperienced the serious side of cycling.

Only real pain was buying pants for my leg size, waists always too loose.

Haven't ridden in a number of years, but am shaping up to hit the road again.
God I love cycling.

Billy

DBautista
04-26-09, 13:36
Only real pain was buying pants for my leg size, waists always too loose.

Billy

I know what you are talking about. My quads do not fit into "normal" cut jeans in my waist size. I always have to buy the "boot cut" in order for my quads to slip in.

BiggLee71
05-10-09, 11:12
Since last summer I have backed way off on volume as I have been into other interests. From '02 to '08 I was doing quiet a bit swim, bike, run, but to be a good triathlete you can't do anything else and I got tired of never having enough time to tackle other hobbies. I'm still on the email list and I just chuckle when I get the weekend schedule, Typical Sat ride 70-80mi mod to hard, run EZ five miles after. Sun run 12mi mod and EZ 2 hour ride after. I have to say I don't miss it. I do miss the incredible amount of fitness I carried around but it really isn't applicable to real-life, not being able to do really physical work (heavy lifting) because I had gotten so lean was imasculating. The ability to drop and lay down a fast 5K or a 40K time trial isn't really appreciated or given a crap about outside the endurance community. I'm 43 and I'm proud that I can now do 100 pushups straight or 5x50 pushups with short rest, and my fast as crap, super fit tri-geek friends can't do anything close to that, I have to pick my battles :D
good stuff.i see u possibly ride a cervelo? colnago here.was a dedicated dh mt biker but had to make the switch to road due to time constraints.been riding for about 34 yrs now.do about 100 miles a week (some weeks alot more depending on weather!).love riding,especially when we have a good group.

cervelorider
05-10-09, 11:52
I did my first group ride in a year on thurs. I am sore as heck in my glutes and inner thighs, and this was the easy thursday ride with only a few hard sprints and hills! Oh, how the mighty have fallen. Fitness is very fleating. 34years Dang, thats a lot of base miles in your legs. Awesome!

M4arc
05-10-09, 12:15
At one point in time I was a Cat III road biker and Expert mountain biker. I even placed 6th at a NORBA national many, many moons ago.

Now I'm lucky if I can get out for 25 on a Sunday morning. :(

BiggLee71
05-10-09, 21:56
you guys are soooo right about how long it takes to get in tip top shape only to become a total wreck in a few months of no training! 34 yrs is the total i've been riding,not at the top level!love riding.its right up there with shooting!i'm adding golf to round out the repetoire and that should do it for the sports til i'm in the nursing home!as for fitness base,4 yes of "humping" as a marine corps grunt added big time to it!

Reddevil
05-24-09, 19:07
Avid road biker here. Been doing charity rides for just over a year now.

BiggLee71
05-31-09, 20:43
aaaahhh,just got back from a nice relaxin 40 mile ride down by the jersey shore.tried out my new garmin 705 as well.pretty cool little gadget.

kmrtnsn
05-31-09, 21:36
I took up road biking a couple of years ago because of a severe case of infantry knees. I don't have anything special, a Trek 1600 entry model; it gets the job done. I run a couple of days a week but anything over 6 miles, again the knees just can't take it anymore. I am really lucky, I am in a bike friendly town and live adjacent to a State park and can go mountain biking right from my garage. I am signing up for a Cross-Fit class. They open early and it fits my work schedule and I like the focus on core fitness.

B52U
06-01-09, 22:57
Finished my second marathon 2 weeks ago. There's something therapeutic about the inherent suffering. All runners have a bit o' crazy in them to do this kind of thing willingly.

Barron Fields
10-10-09, 00:46
I know what you are talking about. My quads do not fit into "normal" cut jeans in my waist size. I always have to buy the "boot cut" in order for my quads to slip in.

When you're looking for hiking shorts, try whe womens section. Waist sizes run smaller in proportion to the thigh size. :D

metroATL
11-16-09, 14:36
LOVE road biking. Here in Atlanta we have a trail called the Silver Comet that runs all the way to the AL state line. Its flat, paved, clean, safe, and pretty amazing. I have been biking for Almost 2 years now and I cannot say enough good things about it. recently did a week long bike trip for a charity, part of which was my first century distance ride. Biking tan lines are awesome.

I also love swimming, which seems to go with biking and running so well. Try to do a mile a week as a recovery workout to whatever else I did, but honestly I have been slacking on that for about 2 months. :eek:

I like running, but I am not near as proficient at it as biking and swimming. I rarely run more than 6 miles and usually its more like 3. I am working on getting my 3 mile time down and plan to add distance when i can do three back to back to back 7ish minute miles. Right now its 8.5 mnutes a piece on average.

if anyone in north ga wants to bike, I will gladly hit the silver comet with anyone as I need bike friends!