PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Steel parts in LPK?

Buckaroo
04-21-09, 19:02
From another local board I frequent.

Today I talked to a company that will have 150,000 LPK's delivered to them in two to three weeks. He will be able to spare a few for us and get my order to me hopefully by the end of the month. (Thank God for good contacts!)
Anyways, these will run $69.95 when they come in. They are a bit different in that the Trigger, Disconnecter, and the hammer are made of stainless steel. If interested please email the shop.

Anyone ever heard of such?

Buckaroo

mkemmerl
04-21-09, 21:00
Without more details I am skeptical of the value of SS over a TDP-quality LPK, especially when it is priced less than them. For the purposes of this discussion, stainless steel does two things better than carbon steel: resist corrosion and look pretty. Specific to your question, it depends on the grade of the steel and the processing done to it. Galling can be a major issue with SS especially where there is SS to SS contact. I might be concerned about the carrier to hammer contact as well. I would be curious about they grade of SS used and what is done to mitigate the galling issue in the critical areas such as the hammer face and disconnector to hammer contact points. Are the components hardened after machining or is an anti-friction coating applied?

I work for a high-end manufacturing company that specializes in SS. For our customers, the decision point on which grade to choose is the environment it will be used in. In an environment away from salt water, I suspect there is minimal benefit to SS over carbon steel for a firearm, all else being equal. That would be especially true where the carbon steel is parkerized or otherwise coated. For firearms, there seems to be as much of a marketing value to SS and its perceived benefits as there is a practical value with its corrosion resistance properties. Making things from SS properly requires more than just a mill or CNC machine. I would want to be sure whoever is machining this stuff looked beyond the marketing value and took the time to choose the right grade of SS and address the galling issues with this application specifically in mind.