PDA

View Full Version : basic carbine class - any sched for 2007 in Northern VA?

lindertw
12-31-06, 18:13
I'm relatively new to the AR platform, and I'd like to start 2007 off right with proper training. Are there any scheduled basic carbine courses coming up in the next few months?

In the event there's nothing on the horizon in the near future, do any of the NoVA members get together at the range regularly?

Akoni
12-31-06, 20:55
If you have not had any formal training and you can travel a bit, I highly recommend Randy Cain's Carbine 1. This is a very good place to start and you will get more out of subsequent classes with this foundation. Randy is one of the best instructors out there.

FJB
12-31-06, 23:36
EAG Tactical, i.e. Pat Rogers, is doing one in Quantico, VA in May. Go to Pat's website for more info.

S/F

Hoplophile
01-01-07, 00:15
do any of the NoVA members get together at the range regularly?
I don't know about a "regular" get together, but I'll be at NRA next Sunday at 1000 if you or anybody wants to meet up.

VA_Dinger
01-01-07, 11:51
Keep watching this forum.

We have a basic class in the planning stages. Plan on a spring 2007 time period. One or two days and priced very cheap. The class will be held in the South-Western part of Virginia.

This would get you up and running in no time.

lindertw
01-01-07, 12:30
Thanks for the replies Akoni & FJB. Hoplophile, I won't be able to make it this Sunday (non-traditional work sched means my weekends tend to be during the week).

We have a basic class in the planning stages. Plan on a spring 2007 time period. One or two days and priced very cheap. The class will be held in the South-Western part of Virginia.

excellent news - I'll watch for updates.

ChrisG19
01-01-07, 13:29
FR&I (http://www.f-r-i.com) is offering a carbine course June 8-9, 2007 at Rivanna (http://www.rrpc.org). Cost is $260. Once I have the final details, I'll post them here.

lindertw
01-01-07, 16:21
thanks ChrisG19 - I'll watch for updates. I made the trek down to Riviana for an IDPA match back in '04 or '05 (can't remember exactly when it was).

Business_Casual
01-01-07, 19:33
The NRA Range runs an intro course from time to time. Drop by and see what the flyers/schedule says for the next month.

M_P

Vinh
01-01-07, 20:40
My first carbine class was from the instructors at NRA HQ. They will get you going in the right direction. I believe they have a class this month, but it is full. They may have another class later this year.

I would advise against showing up at a Pat Rogers class without previous formal training.

My recommendation would be to try to get into the VA_Dinger class. Consistent high-quality instruction with good people.

55Kingpin
01-01-07, 21:17

What part of SWVA? Close to Blacksburg?

Please IM me with more info if you can.

C4IGrant
01-01-07, 22:21
Vickers will also be doing a basic 3 days carbine class in Ohio in June.

C4

lindertw
01-02-07, 07:41

C4

thanks!

VA_Dinger
01-02-07, 09:45

That’s a great suggestion.

Alpha Sierra
01-02-07, 15:05
Grant, any more details on the Vickers basic class?

All I see on his website is a more advanced deal in May with Hackathorn.

I'd be really interested, living in OH myself.

C4IGrant
01-02-07, 15:22
Grant, any more details on the Vickers basic class?

All I see on his website is a more advanced deal in May with Hackathorn.

I'd be really interested, living in OH myself.

The class will be at GTA in Canton Ohio, June 1,2, 3. Dinger will get a post up in the very near future, so watch the training forum for details!

C4

lindertw
01-02-07, 15:39
canton - right on! I can tie this in with a visit to my family (Massillon); gonna have to pencil this into my schedule at work.

Alpha Sierra
01-02-07, 18:56
The class will be at GTA in Canton Ohio, June 1,2, 3. Dinger will get a post up in the very near future, so watch the training forum for details!

C4
Roger that. I need to make a training class this year and it would be between this one or EAG in Boone County, IN in July.

Submariner
01-02-07, 21:04
Do both!:D

Rmplstlskn
01-02-07, 21:24
FR&I (http://www.f-r-i.com) is offering a carbine course June 8-9, 2007 at Rivanna (http://www.rrpc.org). Cost is $260. Once I have the final details, I'll post them here.

Cool! Rivanna is only 4 miles away as a crow flies... :)

I have never heard of FR&I and there is no instructor info on the web site. Anyone have any info...?

Rmpl

ChrisG19
01-03-07, 18:08
Cool! Rivanna is only 4 miles away as a crow flies... :)

I have never heard of FR&I and there is no instructor info on the web site. Anyone have any info...?

Rmpl

Steve Silverman is the lead instructor/owner of FR&I but I don't have much information regarding his bio. Please feel free to email him (steve@f-r-i.com) if you have any questions. I've attended several of his courses over the years and find his instruction to be a great value.

ChrisG19
01-07-07, 18:27
I found this in a past issue of Concealed Carry Magazine:

"First off, who is Steve Silverman, you might wonder? Steve is a veteran firearms instructor who has trained over 5500 students since 1987. He has taught federal, state and local police officers, licensed security professionals, as well as the general public. He has almost a decade’s experience as a licensed private detective, has worked as a bail recovery agent since 1991 and is a reserve police officer. Steve is a firearms instructor for his department. He is also a court recognized firearms/use-of-force expert and has provided expert consultation in firearms related legal cases for over 12 years."

ISHOT
01-18-07, 20:24
Guys, if you're in NoVA, consider Pat Goodale. I have trained with a few and keep going back to him. The only problem with Pat is his schedule for '07. The man is so busy it has been harder for him to add more civilian classes to his schedule.

Right now he has only two lined up for this year:

May 26-27
August 25-26

For more info on Pat and PFT, visit his website at www.pgpft.com

tacmed105
02-02-07, 08:54
Lindertw,
I know this comes late in the game but have you looked at Northern Virginia Tactical ? www.nvtactical.com We've got a basic and advanced carbine course. The rifle operator course teaches tactics as well as weapon handling and the prices are reasonable. Oh and NVTac is located in northern virginia, hence the name. Hope this helps.

kbi
02-02-07, 10:54
I didnt relize these classes were held so close to arl,va .

Ive never been to one and it would be most interesting to attend one in the near future .

lindertw
02-02-07, 11:42
thanks for the link tacmed, I'll check out the URL you provided.

4sng Respawnz
02-03-07, 12:41

I would greatly appreciate an email/IM regarding this one when it is all hammered out. Like the thread starter, I'm new to the AR platform also....at this point with ARs I'm all hat-no cattle. Snagged my first one last October, another in December, and this past week the RRA 9mm. God I love Virginia's gun laws :D

So with that said, I figured it is time to get some actual instruction as opposed to giving hell to cans in the hollows. Who knows, may actually need to adjust the attitude of a tresspasser. So I would want a semblance of accuracy so as not to actually shoot the person when I fire for effect.