PDA

View Full Version : Midwest Industries Two-Piece Free Float Question

Texpatriate
04-22-09, 16:28
I just ordered a Midwest Industries MCTAR 20 two-piece free float handguard to put on a BCM carbine upper. I noticed in the picture on the MI website (see bellow) that they seem to have left the original handguard cap on the upper after installing the MCTAR 20, which kind of surprised me.

Wouldn’t that detract from the free float feature of the system? It seems like the handguard cap would put pressure on the gas block, and as a result the barrel as well. Does anybody have any experience with this system that can speak to what I’m talking about? If you’ve got a picture of one installed without a handguard cap (if that’s possible to do), that’d be great to take a look at as well. Thanks.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/images/products/mctar2ffcat.gif

DRich
04-22-09, 16:41
The MI handguards do not touch the handguard cap. I've had two sets of the MI-20 rails and they are decent, but very heavy and wider than most other rail systems. You can remove the cap if you wish, but that generally negates the primary reason for buying a two-piece FF rail in the first place.

The advantage of most two-piece freefloat rails is the ease of installation. You'll notice that virtually all of the two-piece FF rails leave the handguard cap in place. If you're going to remove the FSB and handguard cap anyway, then you might as well get a one-piece rail since they are usually lighter and typically more stable.

Texpatriate
04-22-09, 18:35
I just figured I'd cut it off when I cut the delta ring off.

steve-oh
04-22-09, 19:17
Yeah the handguard cap is left there just to make it so there's no ugly gap with some shiny gas tube showing. It doesn't touch the handguard.

markm
04-22-09, 19:25
Don't mess with the handguard cap. It'll help keep crap from getting under the handguards. Plus it'd look silly with that big gap at the front of the handguard.

DRich
04-22-09, 21:37
I just figured I'd cut it off when I cut the delta ring off.

Easier said than done. The cap is held in place by the FSB and the barrel shoulder.

Plus, as mentioned above, you'll be happier with the cap in place.