PDA

View Full Version : G&R Tactical BCG

eltorito71
04-22-09, 18:38
In stock & ordered one today from G&R.

beaker1013
04-22-09, 18:52
You won't be disappointed. Grant does a great job with them.

Sk0t24
04-22-09, 19:06
Thanks for the heads up, I just ordered one myself. :D

Byron
04-22-09, 19:11
Thanks for the heads up! Order in

spamsammich
04-22-09, 19:11
The o-ring is not pre-installed, when you open the bag, be sure you do not drop the o-ring on the floor.

markm
04-22-09, 19:27
The o-ring is not pre-installed, when you open the bag, be sure you do not drop the o-ring on the floor.

Yep! Make sure it goes in the trash or an applicable plumbing line that would require such a thing!!

spamsammich
04-22-09, 19:30
Yep! Make sure it goes in the trash or an applicable plumbing line that would require such a thing!!

I RTV mine to the brass deflector to keep from discoloring it and denting my brass.

markm
04-22-09, 19:33
These carriers come with a marking removed in the spot where you might find the Colt "C". I don't know what to think about that....

The exhaust ports are a little narrower than my BCM carrier. But it seems to run fine. I put a hundred rounds through mine last weekend. I plan to relegate the unit for practice since it's heritage is unknown.

tweakmeister
04-22-09, 19:42
There's no way it's Colt.

CMT? DPMS?

Who are the major makers out there? This isn't some secret, it's going to be one of the regular factories.

jeffreywt
04-22-09, 20:14
I missed out on one, out of stock :(

eltorito71
04-22-09, 20:15
When I saw they weren't sold out I did a double-take seeing as pretty much everywhere is out of BCGs.

As for the quality, I'm not too concerned seeing as everything I've read on here about the quality of Grant's products has been positive.

eltorito71
04-22-09, 20:17
Wow! This is the first time I've lucked out & got something b4 it sold out.

Now if I can just have the same luck when the BCM 11.5" Uppers are in stock for like 10mins. ;)

Byron
04-22-09, 20:30
When I saw they weren't sold out I did a double-take seeing as pretty much everywhere is out of BCGs.

As for the quality, I'm not too concerned seeing as everything I've read on here about the quality of Grant's products has been positive.
My thinking exactly. I've been looking around for a BCG and I figure this to be a better alternative than paying even more money for someone's used (insert subpar brand here) BCG on one of the forums.

Wow! This is the first time I've lucked out & got something b4 it sold out.
I also don't usually luck out on fast-moving items. Thanks again for the heads-up!

eltorito71
04-22-09, 20:35
Your Welcome. Glad I was able to help.

Heavy Metal
04-22-09, 20:37
The bolt was stamped CM which is Continental Machine and Tool IIRC.

tweakmeister
04-22-09, 21:11
PKfirearms has semi bcg's in stock. My guess is they are Young Mfg or CMT.

grimm
04-23-09, 11:24
I didn't see the last batch they (PK) had on hand, but the previous ones were clearly described as RRA.

markm
04-23-09, 11:52
There's no way it's Colt.

CMT? DPMS?

Who are the major makers out there? This isn't some secret, it's going to be one of the regular factories.

DPMS would make sense. I know I'd want to take the "D" off. :p

In any case, mine is dedicated to the practice squad.

Shihan
04-23-09, 18:45

Are you the anti O-ring?

markm
04-23-09, 22:45
Are you the anti O-ring?

I'm President and Founder of the O-rings are Nonsense Society. :cool:

SWATcop556
04-24-09, 00:33
I use the O-ring in my BCGs. Is there a specific reason you don't like them? Just curious. I was just always told that they help with extractor tension on the carbine length gas system but they're not really necessary for the mid-length guns.

Jerm
04-24-09, 00:36
I'm using the carrier and changed the bolt out with a spare(tested) one i already had.

Other than staking(which was obviously good here) are carriers from "lesser" manufacturers known for issues?

I cant recall hearing of any.

SWATcop556
04-24-09, 00:53
Everything I have heard is that it's the bolt that is more likely to fail, however, I'm sure that the carrier could fail as well. I personally have seen 3 lower tier bolts fail in various conditions, from a training class to bench shooting. Two DPMS and one RRA.

Others with more knowledge will chime in I'm sure.

Jerm
04-24-09, 01:05
Yeah,the bolt is riding in one of my MIADs for now.It'll probably get demoted to a range bag eventually.

I was thinking(hoping) the properly staked M16 carrier would be gtg.

markm
04-24-09, 08:24
Is there a specific reason you don't like them? Just curious.

Too much extractor tension can cause problems just like too little extractor tension.
Bravo Company clearly states that they're not necessary, but their customers want them so that's why you'll find them with their bolt groups. (included with them, but NOT installed)

I wouldn't trust a gun that needed an o ring to extract reliably. I have plenty of carbeans, including 2 sbrs that run fine without them. And I'm very reluctant to ever put anything in a gun that wasn't part of its design.

eltorito71
04-28-09, 15:46
Looks like they're in stock again.

Byron
04-28-09, 18:57
Got mine today.

I can't find any kind of markings at all on the bolt. Maybe I'm blind but it looks 'sterile' to me.

The BC has nice staking, of course. Mine has a noticeable blemish on the side. It's actually more noticeable in person than in photos: it has a bit more depth than I was able to capture in image. Doesn't really bother me, but figure it's worth a mention.

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff330/byrong-tpi/gaskey.jpg

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff330/byrong-tpi/bolt.jpg

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff330/byrong-tpi/blem2.jpg

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff330/byrong-tpi/dof.jpg

jeffreywt
04-28-09, 18:58
That blemish is actually where a manufacturers mark was ground off. I have seen a ton of M16 bolt carriers with that and I have one sitting on the table here with the same thing on it.

Byron
04-28-09, 19:09
Oh, interesting! Thanks for the info: I did not realize (obviously, ha).

As a potentially stupid follow-up question, under what circumstances will a dealer usually take markings off of a product? I.E. are they surplus parts that the original maker doesn't want to be associated with? Factory seconds from someone? Extra contract parts?

I've never purchased parts that had such a thing so I'm not familiar with the backstory on such a practice.

Rider
04-28-09, 21:32
Mine has the same grinding off mark. At first I was a little bit worried (is that a weak point?) but then I figured Grant would not have sold a part that was flawed in a way that made it less reliable. Glad to hear I was right!

jeffreywt
04-28-09, 23:38
By the way, they are in-stock again. I just got one.

esskay
04-29-09, 01:45
Thanks for the heads up, placed an order too.

sundance435
04-29-09, 10:52
Were they showing as in-stock on the G&R page? If so, it looks like I missed them.

C4IGrant
04-29-09, 11:12
Oh, interesting! Thanks for the info: I did not realize (obviously, ha).

As a potentially stupid follow-up question, under what circumstances will a dealer usually take markings off of a product? I.E. are they surplus parts that the original maker doesn't want to be associated with? Factory seconds from someone? Extra contract parts?

I've never purchased parts that had such a thing so I'm not familiar with the backstory on such a practice.

We did not remove the mark (FYI). We buy them already removed.

C4

C4IGrant
04-29-09, 11:12
Mine has the same grinding off mark. At first I was a little bit worried (is that a weak point?) but then I figured Grant would not have sold a part that was flawed in a way that made it less reliable. Glad to hear I was right!

No weak point as the BCG is very thick there and that part makes ZERO contact with anything in your receiver (FYI).

Nothing to worry about.

C4

eltorito71
04-29-09, 12:22
No weak point as the BCG is very thick there and that part makes ZERO contact with anything in your receiver (FYI).

C4

That's why it was of no concern to me. That, coupled with the fact that you wouldn't attach the name "G&R Tactical" to a sub-par product.

jhurt
04-29-09, 17:05
Mine arrived as well. The bolt seems to be from CMT (marked "CM").

eltorito71
04-30-09, 10:39
Got mine yesterday. Looks gtg to me.

Urabus23
05-11-09, 23:47
They're back in stock again!

RojasTKD
05-12-09, 11:44
I just ordered one. I have three lowers to build up but parts are hard to come by and so is the cash to buy them.

Going4Broke
05-12-09, 11:53
Must be out again. only see the carrier now.

pacifico
05-12-09, 12:59
Must be out again. only see the carrier now.

They look in stock to me.

link (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=GRT-BCG&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D18%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DGRTA)

BVickery
05-12-09, 16:26
*cries* Why couldn't they be in stock tommorrow when the funds hit the wifes account?

el guapo
05-12-09, 18:17
Whats the story with these bolts?

Make?
MPI?
HTP?

BVickery
05-14-09, 10:42

Make?
MPI?
HTP?

These are G&R's house BCG's and would not hesitate to buy one based on what I have read about, and dealt with Grant.

I just hope that when I ordered 2 of them this morning they are in stock.

C4IGrant
05-14-09, 11:07
These are G&R's house BCG's and would not hesitate to buy one based on what I have read about, and dealt with Grant.

I just hope that when I ordered 2 of them this morning they are in stock.

You order is covered. We are getting low on them though.

C4

spamsammich
05-14-09, 11:18

Make?
MPI?
HTP?
I hope Grant doesn't mind me answering this for him, but this has been covered already.

Typically our BCG's would be HPT/MPI. These BCG's that we are currently selling are not.
The only reason that we put them under our company banner is because we didn't have any other place to list them.

We do stake the gas keys & add a black extractor insert to them.

C4