PDA

View Full Version : 1911 grip safety...

Hawkeye
12-31-06, 20:20
I used to be a big Glock shooter, then I went H&K/1911, then all 1911, then back to Glock where I am now. I could always shoot a 1911 better than almost any other gun. Glocks come a REALLY close second, especially a Glock 21. However, one issue that has always been a thorn for me with a 1911, and has sadly prevented me from using it as a serious weapon, is that whenever I draw the gun, I will not fully get the grip safety depressed thus not allowing me to fire it. I have tried just about every grip safety out there I think, and its the same problem with them all. With my thumb on top of the thumb safefy, the area in my palm under my thumb just doesnt have enough meat to fully depress the grip safety.
I'd like to be able to have one again, not to replace my Glocks as I dont think that anything could ever do that, but mearly in addition to them. Does anyone have any ideas on a solution with the grip safety?

MASP7
12-31-06, 20:45
Have you tried using a grip safety with the extra raised pad on the bottom?
This, combined with the proper fitting of the grip safety, should accommodate virtually anyone.
I like to fit them to deactivate in the first 1/3 of their travel.

Hobbes
12-31-06, 20:46
You could send it to Novaks for "the answer" which I always thought was the answer in search of a problem, but I guess not!
Some Marines that carry them will put sort of a big rubber band type thing over the safety as well.
Some people pin them, although I don't really know whats entailed in that.
You also might have a safety installed that is just super sensitive. Both of my Kimber's grip safeties are disengaged with just the tiniest bit of pressure- I'm talking you touch the safety and it's disengaged.

Hawkeye
12-31-06, 21:51
I have tried ones from Kimber, Springfield, Colt, Ed Brown brand ones, NightHawk, etc. :(

K.L. Davis
01-01-07, 02:09
It also overrides the grip safety, this kit will do about 20 guns :p

http://www.schwinnstingray.com/img/accessories/15_lg.jpg

Linea_de_Fuego
01-01-07, 02:55
The palm swell is usually the answer, but grip safeties are not all designed to get the same high grip.

They can also be adjusted to give a bit more clearance for the trigger bow so the safety does not have to be depressed 100% for the trigger to move.

jem375
01-01-07, 10:30
to be honest, I don't see how you can't depress the grip safety with a firm grip when you are ready to fire a 1911, I mean even my 12 year old grand-daughter shoots my 1911's with no problem...

Hobbes
01-01-07, 11:09
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=161632

This might help a little. Describes how to make the grip safety a bit more sensitive.

Hawkeye
01-01-07, 15:09
to be honest, I don't see how you can't depress the grip safety with a firm grip when you are ready to fire a 1911, I mean even my 12 year old grand-daughter shoots my 1911's with no problem...

With my thumb on top of the thumb safefy, the area in my palm under my thumb just doesnt have enough meat to fully depress the grip safety.

When I draw from the holster, the above is what happens. I pull the trigger but the gun doesnt fire. I have to readjust my grip to get the grip safety depressed.

Hawkeye
01-01-07, 15:38
It also overrides the grip safety, this kit will do about 20 guns :p

http://www.schwinnstingray.com/img/accessories/15_lg.jpg

Where's my stick at.....

M4Guru
01-01-07, 16:39
I use the inner-tube. I shoot with gloves and the thumb web catches on the beavertail sometimes, which stops the grip safety from being fully engaged.

K.L. Davis
01-01-07, 17:39
And you know... you can sell whatever extra grip sleeves you have left over as "Ranger Bands" on the EE :p

Ya think I'm fooling? There is a real demand (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=308805) for these! :rolleyes:

rob_s
01-02-07, 05:11
I would look around for the grip safety with the biggest "pad" area and see if that helps. I see alot of 'smith's putting cutom checkering patterns on the pads, so they must be starting with a gun with a blank pad, and I would guess that the pad they start with must be somewhat enlarged.

Striker5
01-02-07, 08:02
This might be a stupid question, but have you tried the original style non-beaverttail grip safety? Supposedly the BT allows for a higher grip on the pistol necessitating the speed bump on some models. In this case you need to fire the pistol more than you need a higher grip so maybe the original safety will work. Another solution (if you have small hands) is that "dropped" thumb safety that Gunsite and I am sure other manufacturers sell. This would allow you to hit the safety w/o shifting your firing grip as much. I have small hands and depressing the grip safety has never been a problem. That said I have been toying with taping it shut, just to make sure. Hmmmmm. Good luck w/ your problem!

Hawkeye
01-02-07, 09:00
Striker5, I have actually been thinking of the lowered style thumb safety. I have large hands, they just arent fat and meaty. For example, my Glock 21 fits my hand perfectly.

madryan
01-04-07, 00:24
My beavertail is set so touchy that I only have to move it 1/16in. or so before it disengages. I have had real issues with my grip not disengaging the safety properly in the past. It's really easy to adjust.

bullitt5172
01-04-07, 09:58
My beavertail is set so touchy that I only have to move it 1/16in. or so before it disengages. I have had real issues with my grip not disengaging the safety properly in the past. It's really easy to adjust.

This is a good point, have you had the grip safety sensitized? This is easily done.

Army Chief
01-04-07, 11:27
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=161632

This might help a little. Describes how to make the grip safety a bit more sensitive.

I suppose I can speak to the veracity of this link, given that I'm a Moderator on the 1911 Forum. :)

That said, while I suspect that your problem can still be overcome with training, many 1911 aficianados do feel that the grip safety is a superfilous feature. Wayne Novak has actually been one of the more prominent figures involved in permanently pinning 1911 grip safeties, effectively de-activating them without otherwise altering the pistol. Whether you agree with that or not, it is by no means an unusual way of dealing with this "problem."

A word of caution may be in order though, as you are embracing two handguns with very different methods of employment. If you're truly an ardent Glock proponent, then I might suggest that the 1911 is not really the right pistol for you; especially since you're already indicating that it isn't well-suited to your existing shooting habits. Those habits will have to change quite a bit if you are truly committed to mastering Old Slabsides.

Once upon a time, we used to advise Glock users -- and HK P7 users -- to stick with these models to the exclusion of all others, so as not to introduce too much negative habit transfer into their training routines. I don't know if that is still representative of the best thought on the subject, but most serious 1911 users I know (including myself) do not pitch their tents in the Glock camp for very long once they have set their minds to mastering the 1911. I don't mean this as a denigratory statement to Glock fans, but the migration tends to be rather lasting, and extremely one-way. You seem to be an exception to the rule ... for now.

Whatever you decide, remember this: there are very few training problems that cannot be overcome with a bit of sweat, a good chunk of range time, and an obscene amount of ammunition. Good luck!

Chief

Hawkeye
01-04-07, 11:41
I have shot 1911's for a number of years longer than I have Glocks. I think I have it "mastered" so to speak, operationally. This is not a training issue ;) . Its a physiological issue.

Robb Jensen
01-04-07, 11:55
Just keep shooting the G21! :D It's a great gun which you already know.

I use a large pad C&S beavertail grip safety on my SA Loaded and the grip safety is pinned on my STI (race/game gun) and both have flat mainspring housings.

swinkster
01-05-07, 21:00
Caspian's version has a rather large pad that might be worth a try. It is available in carbon or stainless.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/462927.jpg