PDA

View Full Version : Optic for 16" ???

seek44
04-23-09, 17:59
This is my first build and all i need is an optic and mount. I am pretty new to ar's but appreaciate the learning process.

I see there are tons of choices when it comes to optics and i want to narrow down the field.

My question,
I am running a 16" SS barrel from WOA/ FF DD lite rail...Spikes flat top upper. I want to get an optic that will allow the ability to use this rifle for distance tagert shooting (i know it is only a 16") So, what optic range should i be looking at that is good for distance shooting with a 16" barrel, i.e. If im going to loose accuracy after so many meters, I dont "need" the same scope that someone with a 24" barrel "needs" ..BUT, I do want the ability to take advantage of every ounce of accuracy that my gun is capable of. Is a 3-9 enough?

2nd question
I was watching a the sniper challange last weekend at Creekside in Ga. I guess they were shooting out to 600-700 meters. Is there any chance a 16" barrel is capable of doing that with any sort of accuracy? If so, what optic range do you think those guys were running ??

thanks in advance for opinions and advice.

Failure2Stop
04-23-09, 19:10
How far do you want/need to shoot?
What do you forsee as your average shot distance?
What do you intend to hit (what is your accuracy requirment?)
Is this simply for a range-toy or for serious use? (Nothing wrong with option 1, BTW)
An AR can definately get a bullet out to 700 meters, the question is what do you want to be able to consistently hit?

seek44
04-23-09, 19:57
How far do you want/need to shoot?
What do you forsee as your average shot distance?
What do you intend to hit (what is your accuracy requirment?)
Is this simply for a range-toy or for serious use? (Nothing wrong with option 1, BTW)
An AR can definately get a bullet out to 700 meters, the question is what do you want to be able to consistently hit?

Well, my average shot distance will be between 100yrd to 300 yrds, but i would rather an optic that allows for greatest (without overdoing it) capable distance.
This gun is not a shtf gun or a home defense gun. I built this in hopes to get a precision rifle in a small package.

As for intended hit, mostly paper, steel,..etc targets, as accurately as possible (read sniper competitions)

This is mostly a range toy. I am not in LE or Mil, nor will I be hunting with this rifle, at least not at 500-700 yards. I would just like to have an optic that gives me the ability to improve my precision shooting skills. I dont want to be able to out-shoot my optic (not be able to see the targets that i know the gun can hit).

I want to know what range optics people are using when shooting .223 for sniper/precision

HadManySons
04-23-09, 23:38
You might consider looking at a Millet Designated Marksmen scope. Its a 1-4x scope designed to go to about 400 yards. It has a standard reticle but an illuminated dot in the center that, as you zoom in, becomes a donut with a dot in the middle. I don't have on but my buddy does and I like it a lot. I'd own one by now but i'm broke. It serves as a reflex sight too. LaRue makes a mount for it that is also B/A. Just my thoughts.

HadManySons
04-23-09, 23:40
As far as your seconds question... I'd you "could" with hand loads and a quality barrel. Not sure I would try it my AR, it's a CQB-200 yard gun for me. I'd get a Remington 700 for something out to that distance. Besides, you'd need like a 10x+ scope unless you're shooting a car or something.

Cameron
04-24-09, 00:16
You can realistically hit targets at 700 and even 800 meters with just a 4 power optic.

That said it sounds like you are really after something like a 3-9 power. You have to think if you want a reticle BDC like an ACOG or IOR or a turret with a BDC dial.

My 16" (similar to your setup SS LW50 barrel and DD lite rail) can make hits at 800meters with a 1.5-5 Leupold and factory ammo, if I do the right things pulling the trigger.

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu57/camz__2009/3AR15s/DDSPR01c.jpg

Cameron

kjd2121
04-25-09, 19:26
I grabbed a Schmidt & Bender 1.5-6 48 off epay for $800 - very nice scope, but not as tacticool as others. Non-Illuminated, etc. Very sweet glass and works well close up as well as at distance.

Good luck