PDA

View Full Version : Said farewell to an old friend

Striker5
01-01-07, 08:05
Unfortunately, I had to put down my 15 yeard old Welsh Corgi, Pete. He was in really bad shape and I took him to the vet and held him while they gave him the shot, which broke my heart. He was as good a dog as you could want and smart as a whip.

I'm not trying to get all morbid here on the forum, but I will never do that to a beloved pet ever again. I thought about shooting him but thought that the shot would be a surer and more painless way to go. While I am pretty sure he did'nt feel any pain other that the stick of the needle, he started whining and I could tell he was really scared - even if there was no pain, he knew something bad was happening to him and he was afraid. If I had known he was going to die scared, I would have done it myself. I am not doing backflips about shooting any dog, let alone mine, but a bullet to the base of the skull would have been instantaneous.

Again, not trying to be a downer, but I'm sure some of you are dog lovers and I want to get this information out so you at least know what could happen if you have to euthanise your dog. You might want to talk to your vet before going this route.

Alpha Sierra
01-01-07, 09:02
I know exactly how you feel.

Last year I had to do the same exact thing to my 15 year old cat. I can tell you that my cat did not suffer at all. He merely closed his eyes and his heart and breathing stopped a few seconds after the drugs went in.

Your heart feels like it has been crushed in a vise. I wanted to let him die at home, hoping every morning that I would wake up to find that he died in his sleep. But he just kept hanging on and suffering, the tough old bastard........:(

Army Chief
01-01-07, 09:33
Seems almost like a silly thing to make a post about, but those of us with dogs surely know better than that: we've all been right there with you at one time or another.

Lost a 14-year old Schnauzer last March, and while we went through something similar in terms of rapidly declining health, I decided to let nature take its course because I couldn't stomach the thought of making that final trip to the vet. Dispatching an ailing hound around the back of the shed may be preferable in some respects, but I couldn't really see myself doing that, either.

As it turned out, the old girl checked out while sleeping on the couch within a few weeks of her latest downturn, and I'd like to think that senility kept her from realizing what a sorry state she was in. It was a gentle passing, but the wait for the end can be long and hard-to-watch for the likes of you and me.

Got a matched set of yearling Dachshunds tearing things up now. No one is going to forget about the old girl, but time and puppies do have a way of softening the sting, and replacing pain with fond memories.

Your point is a good one: no matter how tolerable euthanizing a dog might be in medical and humane terms, it's still a tough call when you know that just being at the vet's is going to upset your ailing friend. We know how you feel, but if it's any consolation, the worst is over.

Chief

Chris Poston
01-01-07, 10:04
Striker5 and others,

I had to put down my best friend on Dec,17,06 he was my retired police shepherd K9 "Ranger", and I still cant even talk about him without choking up so I feel your pain. I am not sure how your vet does things but mine will come to the house so the dog is in its familiar envrioment and gives the K9 a fairly large dose of acepromazine which puts the dog comfortably to sleep before giving "the shot". This works pretty well and I feel strongly that the dog is at peace this way. They will be scared as they are incredibly in tune with their masters and will pick up on your emotions. The most important thing is that you were there. We keep a list of the " K9 ten commandments" on the wall of the K9 unit and the last on the list reads

"Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, "I can't bear to watch it," or "Let it happen in my absence." Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember, I love you."

HAMMERDROP
01-01-07, 10:05
...with our 14 year old black lab Sadie about 3 years ago to this day I still see her laying under her bush I'll see those shiny eyes and wet nose then do a double take and nothing is there. I'll hear her walking around(claws on the floor, rattle of her tags on her collar) and jump outta bed and go right to the sound -NO DOG and the two we have are nowhere near. When the plunger went down on that hypo - she knew and so did I, I was holding her head and she just slumped, man that hurt. I feel your pain just bring another dog into your life it will help heal I guarantee it .
BEWARE ABOUT USING A FIREARM.
A friend of mine who is no longer with us - he shot himself and we wont go there. Talk about morbid... he had a Rottweiler - Cody weighed about 150 lbs when his time came Bob took him for a walk with Detonics .45 and he told me he wished he took him to the vet, he said he felt like he shot his friend in the back, the first shot just drove Cody forward and knocked him down and he said that look when Cody turned to face him is what haunted him he said it took two more rounds to put him down to stay. I am sure his choice in calibers would have been more effective on a smaller dog but my point is that dogs skull are thicker and different from ours where a bullet will kill a human may only cause sever blunt force trauma to a dog.
None of it is an easy decision and a way to start a new year I dont envy, you'll be in my prayers because you are going thru some hell.
Just think a new friend is waiting for you - GO GET HIM/HER ...
Sincerely
Michael George

LOKNLOD
01-01-07, 11:02
My best friend's name is Pete too (he's a Boston). He's only about 2 1/2 but just thinking about it gets me a little misty. Sorry for your loss.

It's amazing how attached we get to animals. I never really understood it when I was little because I grew up out in the country, and all our dogs were strays and mutts that would wander up or get dumped off (a damn cruel thing to do), and they all lived outside. Sure I liked them but we lived near a highway and we went through 13 of dogs in 5 years. That's not counting all the wild, mean strays that came up and attacked our chickens and had to be shot.

But then we moved, got a few dogs that stayed around a long time (interestingly enough, the first was a Boston named Stryker) and eventually got an inside dog. Can't imagine not having at least one around now. We just had our first child but Pete is kind of like our firstborn.

Neville
01-01-07, 11:12
So sorry! We lost our German sheperd mix Artus nearly two years ago and people look at me in a weird way when I tell that I am not "over it". Thank God our Rotti lady Akira was there- although she suffered too, she comforted us. A US-friend mailed me this story then- hope it comforts you too:

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners; Ron, his wife, Lisa, and their little boy, Shane were all very attached to Belker and they were hoping for a miracle.
I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family there were no miracles left for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home. As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for the four-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt Shane could learn something from the experience.
The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away. The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion.
We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why." Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.
He said, "Everybody is born so that they can learn how to live a good life, like loving everybody and being nice, right?" The four- year-old continued, "Well, animals already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."

Bulldog1967
01-01-07, 13:07
“He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds; my other ears that hear above the winds.
He is the part of me that can reach out into the sea.
He has told me a thousand times over that I am his reason for being; by the way he rests against my leg;
by the way he thumps his tail at my smallest smile;
by the way he shows his hurt when I leave without taking him.
(I think it makes him sick with worry when he is not along to care for me.)
When I am wrong, he is delighted to forgive.
When I am angry, he clowns to make me smile.
When I am happy, he is joy unbounded.
When I am a fool, he ignores it.
When I succeed, he brags.
Without him, I am only another man.
With him, I am all-powerful.
He is loyalty itself.
He has taught me the meaning of devotion.
With him, I know a secret comfort and a private peace.
He has brought me understanding where before I was ignorant.
His head on my knee can heal my human hurts.
His presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and unknown things.
He has promised to wait for me... whenever... wherever - in case I need him.
And I expect I will - as I always have.
He is my dog.” - Gene Hill

My Condolences.

Matt G

Glockster35
01-01-07, 15:37
Man, what a hard desision to make. I do think that under any circumstance for me, I would have to have the dog or cat put to sleep, I could not, and would not take a firearm to my own pet, or any pet for that matter.

That's just how I feel, I do not however; feel there is anything wrong with you doing it yours!

I have a 10 year old Yello Lab, Great Dane mix, she is a huge dog, and I am not looking forward to her health ailing! She has been the best pet I have ever had the pleasure of owning!

K.L. Davis
01-01-07, 17:57
There it is...

"Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, "I can't bear to watch it," or "Let it happen in my absence." Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember, I love you."

My thoughts and prayers are with you Striker5.

gringle84
01-01-07, 21:31
From one animal lover to another, my thoughts are with you.

It's a shame they don't seem to last too long and the hardest part is them leaving in your arms, I've had my share and do know the pain!

Hang in there!

Robert