PDA

View Full Version : Silly questions about Ammo selection for M&P .45

Sparks2112
04-24-09, 14:18
Long time listener first time caller (or something like that). I know that by selecting any of the loads off of DocGKR's duty loads list I would be well served.

If all things are equal however, and price/availability were not a factor, what would everyone's first pick be for .45 to be fired out of a 4 1/2 M&P .45?

230G +P HST seems to be the best by a small margin?

Wayne Dobbs
04-24-09, 16:03
Go back and read ALL of DocGKR's posting about duty loads. The listed ones perform adequately. Worry more, MUCH more, about your training and encounter tactics instead of ammo. As long as the one of the suggested load runs reliably in your pistol, then you've dealt with about 5-10% of the total problem. Ammunition is not what you should worry about, but since so many believe that we can buy competence and protection in a box of ammo, the manufacturers keep on helping us believe that.

DocGKR
04-24-09, 17:30
Which load is most reliable in your pistol?

Which load is most accurate in your pistol?

Which load is available in adequate quantity for function verification and carry use?

Sparks2112
04-25-09, 09:40
I said it was a silly question. :-)

For testing reliability / function can I assume that if a pistol likes 200 rounds of ammunition, it would be safe to purchase another 1,000 or so for further testing?

I'm going to just try and procur 200 of each of the loads on Doc's list (ouch on the DPX stuff) see which I like out of the 200 I fire, then purchase more for further testing.

Maybe I should make a webpage with my observations after the fact.

Beat Trash
04-26-09, 18:26
Which load is available in adequate quantity for function verification and carry use?

I think in the current environment, availability is a huge question...